IGNORED

Season Tickets 2022/23 (12,000 sold as at 10th May)

phantom

3 hours ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

If these are advanced prices how much do they jump by on June 1st and how the **** are we going to encourage new supporters at even further increased prices?

RANT:

There's nothing advanced about those prices.

I can't believe (well, that's not strictly true) that no one at Bristol City Football Club has advanced enough English grammer skills to realise that the word they should be using is "advance" not "advanced". This sort of shoddiness might make your average Gashead (not an advanced person) prowed, but it winds me up every year.

ON TOPIC:

Given that we aren't paying based on the quality of the football we get to see, I think the moderate price increases are reasonable and considered in the circumstances. It won't put me off going more any more than covid, or the recent moronic behaviour of a few of our 'supporters' does. I understand the multitude of reasons why others won't be renewing - all completely understandable. Hopefully the football start sorting itself out soon and y'all be in a mad rush for half-season cards come Christmas.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What would be really interesting to see is a breakdown of season card holders in each section of the pic below:

7325B70F-AF2D-4707-BAB8-2D8256CB7B18.jpeg.8d48fcbee8ff838aff66f5051840e5f7.jpeg

if we take 19/20, we sold circa 13k and revenue was £3.622m, so average price is £278 per SC.

I guess we can’t go on just how many sold, has to be a combo of that, plus where they’re sold, and how much revenue it brings in.

My view is that I’d rather generate £3.622m from 18k rather than 13k, because footfall means we see more spend elsewhere, but I’m not the bean counter here.

I’d love to see a breakdown of categories, also would love to see which categories turn up at each game. For instance were the rows of empty seats I was looking at in the south stand last game mainly u12s that can’t be bothered atm but their parents will still renew as it’s only £55?

While we’re at it, I’d like to see a breakdown of where SC holders live. Like those within walking distance, the rest of Bristol and immediate and those from away from Bristol. I’ve always thought there’s a big number don’t live in Bristol.

To be fair, transport has improved for those that travel in but maybe more could be done. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

What would be really interesting to see is a breakdown of season card holders in each section of the pic below:

if we take 19/20, we sold circa 13k and revenue was £3.622m, so average price is £278 per SC.

I guess we can’t go on just how many sold, has to be a combo of that, plus where they’re sold, and how much revenue it brings in.

My view is that I’d rather generate £3.622m from 18k rather than 13k, because footfall means we see more spend elsewhere, but I’m not the bean counter here.

Counter argument to that is that to grow season ticket sales by 38% you would have to reduce cost per game from £13.10 to £8.70 if you take the £3.6m as the end revenue for both 18k and 13k. That would mean that POTD prices would have to come down or the gap is too big. If it didn’t come down you wouldn’t get many POTD fans at all as anyone thinking they will spend £35 on a ticket a few times a season would just have bought a season ticket as well. 

Not sure I’ve explained that very well but can’t be bothered to re type!!

I`ve (reluctantly) decided not to renew this season. It`s nothing to do with prices, entertainment or things like that - I just can`t be arsed with the faff of it all. Having to leave home at 9 on a Saturday (earlier in the holiday season), drive 120 miles and then not be able to park in the same postcode as the ground has finally done me in. I`d pretty much given up night games anyway and have used my ST three times this season so why do it?

I`ll probably get a VPN sorted out and subscribe to Robins TV so the club won`t miss out on the entire cost of my ST at least. 

Maybe I`m getting old?

Couple of points. 

Why is oap still set at 65 when anyone now due to retire would do so at the current state pension age of 66? 

The 13,000 season tickets, at a very rough guess, would likely consist of not more than about 8,000 or 9,000 adults. Thus the £150k additional income mooted earlier on this thread is likely more akin to around £80k-£90k. 

That price increase could be completely nullified by not paying Palmer a wage for 3 or 4 weeks. Not suggesting we can do that, of course, but just to give some comparison and a sense of reality! 

That price increase could also be nullified by offering the full away end to the 4 or 5 teams per season who would easily sell it out. 

However, at my now local club, Forest Green, if I wanted an adult and kid in the main stand, like I have now at AG, I’d be paying £411 at FGR vs £420 plus kids shirt at AG. So there’s some perspective. 
If I wanted to go to Cheltenham every week it would cost me £556. 
Ultimately, the prices in most sections at AG are actually pretty reasonable. 

Will I renew? Unsure. 
Financially I can do. Although I can’t help but think of the additional costs the next year or 2 will bring, and whilst I can afford it, I wonder if I’d want to. 
There are other factors at play for me now that I live in the sticks. Approx £10 petrol (and likely rising), £10 parking (and likely rising), the fact my mrs now works Saturday nights so I have to get home asap with no time for a social after the match. The nightmare of getting to an evening game in the traffic. 
Lots of additional factors putting me off. For me I no longer have a ‘good day out’ like I always did in the past, what with having to leave early I don’t really get to see mates as much as I’d want. For that reason, the day has recently become more of a chore than a pleasure. 

I’m currently wavering. Most likely I’ll renew, but this year more than any other, I’m finding myself with more arguments against it than for it. 

Edited by Harry
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 2

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If the expected revenue is approx 4 million then the best way in my view is to have 20000 fans paying average £200each which would be good for atmosphere and the concession sales. Or  SL could stump up 4 mil and come on his own. Same club revenue, but if we want more fans , then we need to make pricing more attractive. 

• Like 1

Regardless if people renew or not surely with the amount of people "wavering" should show the club that something (may even be out of their hands) is not quite right.

A lot of longstanding die hard fans are amongst those wavering, if they go I don't see with the current structure and Outlook they will be replaced.

I don't think we should confuse the club with one that gives a dam about their customers, this is clear to see not only in ticket prices but merchandise, like warm drinks and stale food!

Why not have a consultation period before releasing these prices with fan representation? If only to hear what's going on in the real world cause I'm sure they don't realise just what a pinch it will be for some

Edited by frenchred

2 hours ago, marmite said:

If the expected revenue is approx 4 million then the best way in my view is to have 20000 fans paying average £200each which would be good for atmosphere and the concession sales. Or  SL could stump up 4 mil and come on his own. Same club revenue, but if we want more fans , then we need to make pricing more attractive. 

What do we do if only £13k buy a ticket at £200 because people aren't as motivated by the cost as you think?

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Couple of points. 

Why is oap still set at 65 when anyone now due to retire would do so at the current state pension age of 66? 

The 13,000 season tickets, at a very rough guess, would likely consist of not more than about 8,000 or 9,000 adults. Thus the £150k additional income mooted earlier on this thread is likely more akin to around £80k-£90k. 

That price increase could be completely nullified by not paying Palmer a wage for 3 or 4 weeks. Not suggesting we can do that, of course, but just to give some comparison and a sense of reality! 

That price increase could also be nullified by offering the full away end to the 4 or 5 teams per season who would easily sell it out. 

However, at my now local club, Forest Green, if I wanted an adult and kid in the main stand, like I have now at AG, I’d be paying £411 at FGR vs £420 plus kids shirt at AG. So there’s some perspective. 
If I wanted to go to Cheltenham every week it would cost me £556. 
Ultimately, the prices in most sections at AG are actually pretty reasonable. 

Will I renew? Unsure. 
Financially I can do. Although I can’t help but think of the additional costs the next year or 2 will bring, and whilst I can afford it, I wonder if I’d want to. 
There are other factors at play for me now that I live in the sticks. Approx £10 petrol (and likely rising), £10 parking (and likely rising), the fact my mrs now works Saturday nights so I have to get home asap with no time for a social after the match. The nightmare of getting to an evening game in the traffic. 
Lots of additional factors putting me off. For me I no longer have a ‘good day out’ like I always did in the past, what with having to leave early I don’t really get to see mates as much as I’d want. For that reason, the day has recently become more of a chore than a pleasure. 

I’m currently wavering. Most likely I’ll renew, but this year more than any other, I’m finding myself with more arguments against it than for it. 

Get a one day membership down the 'Shire, get a bit of T20 action!

12 hours ago, Pezo said:

What do we do if only £13k buy a ticket at £200 because people aren't as motivated by the cost as you think?

Fair point but most complaints are about the price structure so I'm pretty sure we would sell more than 13000 if tickets were £200.

8 minutes ago, beaverface said:

I saw this image on a Facebook group the other day and with inflation shows how much extra we're being asked to pay across ALL of the football clubs in the Country.

e6311d62-1788-467a-ad7b-1fa9b53c7157.jpg

7bacfb79-17b1-4daa-9017-0ea829285d4f.jpg

Those Lamborghini Urus won't pay for themselves!

14 hours ago, frenchred said:

Regardless if people renew or not surely with the amount of people "wavering" should show the club that something (may even be out of their hands) is not quite right.

A lot of longstanding die hard fans are amongst those wavering, if they go I don't see with the current structure and Outlook they will be replaced.

I don't think we should confuse the club with one that gives a dam about their customers, this is clear to see not only in ticket prices but merchandise, like warm drinks and stale food!

Why not have a consultation period before releasing these prices with fan representation? If only to hear what's going on in the real world cause I'm sure they don't realise just what a pinch it will be for some

How would the club know how many people are wavering?

RG will be very well aware of the financial restrictions everyone is facing and I reckon that he’s kept the SC prices as low as possible.

I have no complaints.

I’m moving stands and my new seat will cost me £18 per game. That’s very reasonable imv.

Just like consulting with a trade union tells you that the workers are underpaid? I'm certainly not saying that they shouldn't have consulted with the SC&T, because I think they should - but we would all have known that the likely response would have been a request for a price freeze

56 minutes ago, Big C said:

Seems a waste of time I can't see any evidence of many fans wavering

How do you know how many fans are wavering?  I’ve seen fans on here, twitter and my WhatsApp groups thinking about all areas of finances right now. 

It’s common sense really.  Cost of living has gone through the roof and hasn’t peaked yet.  It will be down to people to prioritise I guess but there will certainly be a reduction in sales.  The club have said they expect sales to increase. I think that’s extremely naive and their belief is completely baseless.  

If you accept that season ticket sales will reduce then you must accept that there are fans deliberating over buying/renewing.  Anyone not going through their incomings and outgoings with a fine tooth comb right now must have a lot of disposable income.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It’s common sense really.  Cost of living has gone through the roof and hasn’t peaked yet.  It will be down to people to prioritise I guess but there will certainly be a reduction in sales.  The club have said they expect sales to increase. I think that’s extremely naive and their belief is completely baseless.  

If you accept that season ticket sales will reduce then you must accept that there are fans deliberating over buying/renewing.  Anyone not going through their incomings and outgoings with a fine tooth comb right now must have a lot of disposable income.  

You’re right but realistically the club are unlikely to come out with a line saying that they expect ST sales to fall, although due to both the pandemic & economic situation, they are almost certain to do so.

This comes back to my point about pricing, I think it is about right, as any freeze or drop wouldn’t have resulted in greater income.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

RG will be very well aware of the financial restrictions everyone is facing and I reckon that he’s kept the SC prices as low as possible.

Have they really? As low as possible?

That's just pure guesswork

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

You’re right but realistically the club are unlikely to come out with a line saying that they expect ST sales to fall, although due to both the pandemic & economic situation, they are almost certain to do so.

This comes back to my point about pricing, I think it is about right, as any freeze or drop wouldn’t have resulted in greater income.

I would say, just don’t mention expected sales at all. It makes them look out of touch 

5 hours ago, marmite said:

Fair point but most complaints are about the price structure so I'm pretty sure we would sell more than 13000 if tickets were £200.

We would, but at what cost? Lots of people aren't turning up this season - they're less likely to turn up next season if we're as bad as this season (and we haven't been that bad at home for a while) and their financial outlay is much lower: of course we should also factor in that half our season card holders are probably on concesionary pricing already. Maybe we discount only if they decide to turn up.

4 hours ago, beaverface said:

I saw this image on a Facebook group the other day and with inflation shows how much extra we're being asked to pay across ALL of the football clubs in the Country.

e6311d62-1788-467a-ad7b-1fa9b53c7157.jpg

7bacfb79-17b1-4daa-9017-0ea829285d4f.jpg

Using the same calculator but using the season ticket cost rather than the "standing" cost it's £219. Which is still a big gap but doesn't seem as bad, there's also lots of variables, quality of football, quality of stadium ect. Still seems steep.

When you see loads of people at football wearing £200 jumpers and £600+ coats you tend to think there ain't a shortage of money flowing about, just doesn't seem to be in my direction.

Every year a lot of people say they are not going to renew but the season tickets sold remains fairly constant. Either people who thought they wouldn’t renew eventually give in to temptation and do so, or a new group of supporters take their place.  If 2,000 people didn’t renew (unlikely) at an average of £400 each, it would mean a reduction in up front income of £800,000. However, should City have a good season (possible) the non renewers would probably attend a few ad hoc matches with a greater match by match cost, so the loss would be a lot less than £800,000. Cash flow would be less predictable though. Whatever, TV, hospitality,  non match day income and reducing wages and other outgoings will be what concerns City most. 

Was wavering on whether or not to get a season ticket (u22) for my daughter again as she only came to about a dozen games this season. Once I weighed up the cost of membership for her, potd prices and the advantage of first dibs on away tickets buying a season ticket is a no brainer.

25 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Using the same calculator but using the season ticket cost rather than the "standing" cost it's £219. Which is still a big gap but doesn't seem as bad, there's also lots of variables, quality of football, quality of stadium ect. Still seems steep.

When you see loads of people at football wearing £200 jumpers and £600+ coats you tend to think there ain't a shortage of money flowing about, just doesn't seem to be in my direction.

Your right of course

The football back then was far superior to the shite we been served up over the last few seasons!

21 minutes ago, marmite said:

Lots of interesting views and angles on this thread about s/t sales. Ultimately,  although finances play a huge part, it's the product on offer that is the main thing. At present, that product doesn't look good enough.

Yep, we all have different priorities and reasons.

The product on offer doesn’t really affect me.  It’s more about watching “live football”, father and son bonding (occasionally taking my dad too), etc.  At this stage, with Joe being u19, the price isn’t a driver either.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Your right of course

The football back then was far superior to the shite we been served up over the last few seasons!

While I agree that the quality of football has been poor relative to opposition for quite some time football as a whole has moved on massively in terms of professionalism, pace, skill ect. In comparison to others in the league at the same time though we won 7 games in 80/81, the only team worse than us were of course the sags.