IGNORED

Looking forward to Rovers promotion to League One!

Curr Avon

I don’t really like what FGR have become. When Vince took over, he changed the clubs colours and badge to represent his own vision. If that had happened at an established football league club, there would have been uproar. Now he’s moving them out of their home village completely.

If they can turn over the blue few on Saturday though, they’ll be my new second favourite team!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

(For carnivores mysteriously annoyed by the presence of vegetarians in the world, you can eat elsewhere you know. Buying a pie at football isn't compulsory. I've never eaten at the Gate) 

And it's not like meat eaters don't ever eat something that hasn't got any meat in it. Put the boot on the other foot and it won't fit. In fact, I had to stop eating my 'Beyond Meat' burger in the Drawbridge last week because it tasted like meat to me. I mean I haven't eaten meat for nearly 30 years so I guess it was just a psychological issue :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

The quicker Forest Green move to their new ground the better. Horrendous getting back down that hill after the game. Hope they go up though. Good luck to them 

No need to go down the hill next time mate. 
Turn left out of the ground and drive toward Nympsfield, then turn left toward Wotton. Much quicker. 
Or right toward Frocester and then back on the A38 after Eastington 

Edited by Harry
  • Haha 1

FGR on Monday, run by a multi millionaire, about to be promoted to L1 and they get an attendance of 3100.

Gloucester City, struggling near the bottom of National League North, now part time and having only returned to the City last season after 20 years away, get an attendance of 2800.

One is a team with proper support and the other is a financially doped village team.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

FGR on Monday, run by a multi millionaire, about to be promoted to L1 and they get an attendance of 3100.

Gloucester City, struggling near the bottom of National League North, now part time and having only returned to the City last season after 20 years away, get an attendance of 2800.

One is a team with proper support and the other is a financially doped village team.

I've always assumed FGR are more or less by default the club that represents Stroud. Nailsworth is no distance from the town.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

I've always assumed FGR are more or less by default the club that represents Stroud. Nailsworth is no distance from the town.

Many years ago they changed their name to Stroud FC i think, or something similar, then went back to FGR when it wasn’t very successful. That said the new ground is just off the Stroud M5 junction.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

I’m certainly looking forward to it. 
I’ve attended about 8 or 9 FGR games this season and I actually really enjoy the experience up there. 
Since moving out of Bedminster 6 years ago, FGR are technically my local team now, and I’ve been willing them to do well. 
I’m usually quite impartial / neutral when I visit, but on Monday, when Jamille scored the 2nd to pretty much secure promotion, I did find myself cheering the goal almost as much as I would do a City goal. So I do kinda feel invested in them a bit more now. 

It’s actually the one thing that is making me delay in my City season ticket renewal. Living so far out now, getting to and from Ashton Gate is a bit of a mare, plus my wife has to work Saturday evenings now so I need to be home by 5:30pm. This means a huge rush to get out of the ground and home and not being able to see mates after the game etc, whereas a trip to Nailsworth means I can park 3 minute walk away and be home by 5:15pm with no bother. 

I might end up waiting for the fixtures lists to come out and decide whether I buy an ST for City or for FGR. This year, the home Saturday games tended to coincide. If they are on alternate weeks next season I might even buy an ST for both. 

How far will it be for you to the new ground when it's finished Harry?

Just now, steveybadger said:

Many years ago they changed their name to Stroud FC i think, or something similar, then went back to FGR when it wasn’t very successful. That said the new ground is just off the Stroud M5 junction.

Exactly. I think there is a Stroud FC, but they only play in the Gloucestershire local leagues. A long way down the pyramid.

I'm thinking Stroud must be getting on for the same size as Yeovil, who've had a team that has flirted with the football league. 

In L1, Fleetwood, Accrington and Morecambe are hardly vast metropolises.

12 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

How far will it be for you to the new ground when it's finished Harry?

Gonna be a bit further away ‘as the crow flies’ but actually means that going via the motorway will make it quicker, probs about 15 mins door to door. 
I’m currently about 20 mins door to door, but all via b-roads. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Having not paid much attention to L1 I was shocked a couple of weeks ago to look at the table for who we may be playing next year to see Wigan, Rotherham, MK Dons, Wycombe and Plymouth all in the top 7 with other clubs like Ipswich, Charlton, Portsmouth and Sunderland lagging behind (and Wednesday but that’s obviously changed now).

Tough division.

Shocked about Wigan and Rotherham! They are to L1 and Championship as Norwich and Fulham are to Championship and Premier League. 

35 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

So what. 
FGR have averaged 2,600 this season which is more than Crawley, Salford, Harrogate and only a couple of hundred below Scunthorpe, Colchester, Rochdale, Stevenage - all long time established league clubs. 
Plus only a few hundred short of League 1 teams Accrington, Burton & Fleetwood. 

If you’re gonna base opinion on attendances, you’re going down the thought process of a gas head. 
If attendances were the denominator for league stature, why aren’t Bradford in the championship instead of Luton. Why aren’t Sunderland, Sheff Weds & Ipswich in the Prem instead of Watford, Burnley & Brentford?  Bristol City would never have any right to be in the Premier league (okay, never gonna happen anyway!). 

If it’s because of the investment that’s been put into FGR, well, all the other clubs in the league are bound by the same rules regarding wage/turnover. So it’s impossible to ‘buy the league’ on the 4th smallest crowd. 

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Shocked about Wigan and Rotherham! They are to L1 and Championship as Norwich and Fulham are to Championship and Premier League. 

Shocked because Wigan have had serious issues in recent years and that both teams are competing in a division with some real big clubs like Sheffield Weds, Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Charlton Athletic and Accrington.

At the start of the season who would you have expected to see in the top 2 of L1?

54 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

3 points for FGR = 0 for the Gas

If there was a bookies in Nailsea I’d but a tenner on score draw Gas v FGR. Unfortunately the one we had closed thru lack of business. I can’t even bung a tenner on Trump to win the world snooker…………:disapointed2se:

1 hour ago, Harry said:

So what. 
FGR have averaged 2,600 this season which is more than Crawley, Salford, Harrogate and only a couple of hundred below Scunthorpe, Colchester, Rochdale, Stevenage - all long time established league clubs. 
Plus only a few hundred short of League 1 teams Accrington, Burton & Fleetwood. 

If you’re gonna base opinion on attendances, you’re going down the thought process of a gas head. 
If attendances were the denominator for league stature, why aren’t Bradford in the championship instead of Luton. Why aren’t Sunderland, Sheff Weds & Ipswich in the Prem instead of Watford, Burnley & Brentford?  Bristol City would never have any right to be in the Premier league (okay, never gonna happen anyway!). 

If it’s because of the investment that’s been put into FGR, well, all the other clubs in the league are bound by the same rules regarding wage/turnover. So it’s impossible to ‘buy the league’ on the 4th smallest crowd. 

Stop taking it seriously, I’m from Gloucester and FGR will always be a pub team to me! ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Stop taking it seriously, I’m from Gloucester and FGR will always be a pub team to me! ?

Sorry mate, didn’t mean for it to come across all serious. 
I just find that when people compare clubs via attendances it makes them sound a bit ‘gassy’, if you know what I mean. They’re notorious for it ?