IGNORED

Chris Martin

Mr Sno

10 hours ago, Mr Sno said:

I know he isn't everyone's cup of tea but I don't think we should underestimate what a clever player he is and I think he is very important to the way we play. Weimann and Semenyo get the headlines but I question whether they would be as effective without Martin winning those flick ons and making runs to create space.

For me he is a forward that we have lacked since maybe Jon Stead (I see them as similar ish others may disagree). 

I enjoy watching Martin play and in my view we are a far better side with him in it than on the bench. I know he is getting older now so maybe not starting 46 games next season, but for me he has proven to be a good signing and an important player for us.

Like a young Nicky Morgan . Anyone who can’t see what Martin brings to the team are clueless . His hold up play & footballing brain are fantastic. Yet some would still prefer trampoline foot fam ??

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Technically a very good player, knows his own strengths and weaknesses

In some ways not too dissimilar to an excellent footballer back at the Gate today - Nicky Morgan, who also lacked a yard of pace but made up for it in his thinking , game awareness, and technical ability 

Sums it up for me.

I loved Morgan (forget all that crap about Jacki, Nicky was a far better player for us), Martin is a very similar player & absolutely integral to how we play.

Outstanding yesterday at holding it up, some of his link play is brilliant & he wins so many headers & directs it to team mates as well.

As the Cardiff game showed he’s a good finisher too given the chance.

Next season we do need someone who can also fill that role as he is unlikely to repeat a 100% availability record & start nearly every game but he’s been superb, like Andi whilst coming back from a spell out with injury at 33.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 4

Just now, Davefevs said:

Just go and read any MDT, it will become quite obvious there are more than one who go in with agendas against certain players.

That’s always been the case Dave. I remember Steve Torpey getting the treatment “what does he bring?” “ he’s a donkey” and other insulting comments. Cole Skuse, Stuart Munro and Jamie Mac got the same unwarranted stick.

Nothing changes.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Can you provide a link thats shows a poster criticising Martin or AW?

Not sure why anyone can’t be criticised though. The side has lost 20 games this season. Not sure anyone is above criticism of some sort. 

You can appreciate Martin’s contributions this season while being of the opinion to be a better side his role should be reduced. Idk if we are ready to be a better side. Time will have to pass for that. 

I feel like NP found out quite early we could not defend the way he wanted to. So the side was built around those 3 contributing goals and lots of them. It worked and we stayed in the league. Not sure we can go into next season expecting the same or better from any of them bar Semenyo. 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Yeah, really……..:cool2:

It was at Senior Reds.

Flint also said Martin was the most difficult CF he'd played against in a club interview - one of those where the questions were of the "what is your favourite food" variety.

He's repeated it several times.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Not sure why anyone can’t be criticised though. The side has lost 20 games this season. Not sure anyone is above criticism of some sort. 

You can appreciate Martin’s contributions this season while being of the opinion to be a better side his role should be reduced. Idk if we are ready to be a better side. Time will have to pass for that. 

I feel like NP found out quite early we could not defend the way he wanted to. So the side was built around those 3 contributing goals and lots of them. It worked and we stayed in the league. Not sure we can go into next season expecting the same or better from any of them bar Semenyo. 

Losing Baker was a huge loss. He was a top no nonsense defender and after he got rested for his own safety City kinda lost their defensive leader. Klose was signed and we’ve all seen that he’s as good as Baker was and leads by example.

That said with Klose who knows if he’ll be at AG next season? Imo he’s earned a longer contract but  there’d be an element of risk considering his knee injury history. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Losing Baker was a huge loss. He was a top no nonsense defender and after he got rested for his own safety City kinda lost their defensive leader. Klose was signed and we’ve all seen that he’s as good as Baker was and leads by example.

That said with Klose who knows if he’ll be at AG next season? Imo he’s earned a longer contract but  there’d be an element of risk considering his knee injury history. 

Agree on both but we conceded a lot with Baker and with Klose and in between them. 

29 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

So you now change that by getting 3 players in to improve that, a RB, a CB & a defensive midfielder?

That’s clearly the plan.

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

So you now change that by getting 3 players in to improve that, a RB, a CB & a defensive midfielder?

That’s clearly the plan.

Hope so but what is the plan from there? Our front 3 often didn’t help defend which was also part of the problem. I don’t think our problems are solved by signing the 3 positions you mention and keeping the front 3 the way it has been this season. 

12 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Technically a very good player, knows his own strengths and weaknesses

In some ways not too dissimilar to an excellent footballer back at the Gate today - Nicky Morgan, who also lacked a yard of pace but made up for it in his thinking , game awareness, and technical ability 

Great comparison but for me Nicky Morgan was a better player.

Chris Martin adds massive value to us but in my view needs his playing time cut 25% to keep him at top gear.

That’s always been the case Dave. I remember Steve Torpey getting the treatment “what does he bring?” “ he’s a donkey” and other insulting comments. Cole Skuse, Stuart Munro and Jamie Mac got the same unwarranted stick.

Nothing changes.

A bit like you with our second most successful manager in a century

But then of course , severe embarrassment drives that

• Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

30 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Hope so but what is the plan from there? Our front 3 often didn’t help defend which was also part of the problem. I don’t think our problems are solved by signing the 3 positions you mention and keeping the front 3 the way it has been this season. 

Martin “doesn’t help defend?” Weimann?

Really?

Incremental change may seem boring but in our financial circumstances it is what we have.

Time will of course tell how much improvement this results in, not that I ever expect some to be happy.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Martin “doesn’t help defend?” Weimann?

Really?

Incremental change may seem boring but in our financial circumstances it is what we have.

Time will of course tell how much improvement this results in, not that I ever expect some to be happy.

I have been to 30 odd games this season. They spend much of the time sat at the half way line while we defend. They don’t defend often. 

Incremental change may be how it goes but if Martin is playing a large role next season we will be bottom 6 again. Maybe that is ok or realistic. I am not sure at present. 

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I have been to 30 odd games this season. They spend much of the time sat at the half way line while we defend. They don’t defend often. 

Incremental change may be how it goes but if Martin is playing a large role next season we will be bottom 6 again. Maybe that is ok or realistic. I am not sure at present. 

I think we are slowly changing, NP has been trying to implement defensively a much less passive approach. The trio of Cundy, Klose & Atkinson; alongside Idehen over the past few days demonstrate a willingness to eliminate that from our culture.

Whilst I would agree over Weimann being passive up front ( and in defence when he has to come back); Semenyeo's goal yesterday was all about pressing; and being on the front foot.

Sort out our defensive failings, and then the forward line will take care of itself in my book. That's the area we should be focusing on, not really our goal scoring for me.

With a better defensive unit (rather than attack) we won't be bottom six next season in my opinion.

• Like 1

That knee injury was 3 seasons ago, upon his return he played a few times for Norwich in the Premier League, then a full season in Switzerland, followed by 16 games here after not playing competitive football.  I’d say he’s proved he’s recovered from his knee injury suffered at Norwich.  He might not be quite as quick as he was in his “pomp” but he has showed (like Curtis Davies, Phil Jagielka, etc) that 33 (34 next month) is no age if you have a good football brain, and are technically good.  If he still had his pace he wouldn’t be at Bristol City!

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That knee injury was 3 seasons ago, upon his return he played a few times for Norwich in the Premier League, then a full season in Switzerland, followed by 16 games here after not playing competitive football.  I’d say he’s proved he’s recovered from his knee injury suffered at Norwich.  He might not be quite as quick as he was in his “pomp” but he has showed (like Curtis Davies, Phil Jagielka, etc) that 33 (34 next month) is no age if you have a good football brain, and are technically good.  If he still had his pace he wouldn’t be at Bristol City!

I wasn’t aware of that. I (wrongly) assumed that it was far more recent. 

I know he kept fit when without a club by training  with Basle but he wasn’t aware that he played a full season for them. I wonder why they didn’t keep him on………..:dunno:

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

100%.

Plus let’s be honest, the fact that he is 6ft 4 is ideal for us, because we have been really susceptible at set pieces.

He’s an experienced organiser, vocal & obviously is very popular within the squad.

I can only see him leaving now if he gets a far better offer elsewhere but as well as he’s done, he’s 34 in a fortnight so I’m not sure he will.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I know he kept fit when without a club by training  with Basle but he wasn’t aware that he played a full season for them. I wonder why they didn’t keep him on………..:dunno:

Perhaps they just got it wrong.

Basle faulty, as City fan John Cleese might put it. :whistle2:

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

It's something that's worked for years in football, teams have used players like Sheringham or Crouch or Dublin as a focal point. Mixing and matching different talents into different formations is fundamental to coaching and Management. I don't see that as limiting at all.

I agree, bit that's not the game anymore. Hardly any teams play 442 or 2 up top. Strikers now tend to play on their own, with 2 wingers either side. Strikers need to be all rounders, able to hold the ball up, run the channels, pop up in the 6 yard box. Chris wins the flick on, then it takes an age for him to get in the box. Balls over the top aren't for him, we rarely stretch defences, we are limited to playing balls to his head chest or feet, back to goal...

Edited by Lordofthebling
  • Like 1

No idea, maybe he really wanted to stay permanently in this country. Be a good question to ask him if he comes to Senior Reds.

6 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I nearly fell over when I read this . Seriously ? That is so far wide of the mark . We have many issues to solve this summer but that is not one of them . 

It isn’t most good teams defend from the front. We do not. We will continue to leak goals with the front 3 the way they were used this season. It was needs must this season. Stick 3 blokes up front stay by the halfway line and try to score ourselves to safety. We did that but it will not be something we can continue to do if we want to improve.

Weimann and Martin are also going to be a year older with an extremely tough season on their bodies. It would be folly to expect the same returns next season. We need to improve the front line as much as the midfield and defence. Sitting still would be suicide. 

42 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You were at a Senior Reds event Dave?! 

No

41 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No he wasn’t but Flint had obviously mentioned it before probably in an interview at some point.

He did, in an interview

34 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

How do you know @Davefevs wasn’t at the Senior Reds event?

I’m a whipper-snapper.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Haha 1