IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

35 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I love the player Semenyo has become, he has be one a focal point of our attack, and has all the attributes required to play at the highest standard. But £20m is likely to be peak value for him. 

He has 2 years (1yr + 1yr option) left on his deal. If he stays and has a brilliant season, it's likely we will still only be in a position to demand £20m next summer due to his contract situation. 

Unfortunately, if someone is willing to pay the £20m this summer, it will be hard for the club to refuse. 

Excellent summary... When Antoine returned from injury, he made all the difference to the second half of our season.

If bids start reaching 15mill, plus add ons, then it will be difficult for the club to turn them down and also Antoine, and more importantly his agent, will also start to see the £ signs. Football is a short career and when Prem teams come calling, it is very hard to keep rejecting the offers.

Obviously, at this stage the club will keep repeating that he isn't for sale etc, but if the offers continue to rise then it will be difficult for us to hang on to him.

19 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

£20m plus for me

The star of the moment Brennan Johnson (less goal contributions per game than Semenyo) would have gone for at least that if Forest had stayed down and Semenyo has a better all round game imo

Two completely different players.

40 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Not that different, both young, quick attacking talents. Johnson plays a little wider I believe whereas Semenyo has moved inwards over the last six months

Johnson is class and has been all season and now doing it for Wales. Semenyo is very good on his day. 

21 year old Keane Lewis-Potter is another to keep an eye on as a comparison. 12 goals and 4 assists for Hull last season and West Ham are supposedly keen, perhaps hoping to replicate their success with Jarod Bowen. Transfermarkt rates him at £10.8 million currently whereas they only go £2.25 million for Antoine. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Text corrrection

22 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

21 year old Keane Lewis-Potter is another to keep an eye on as a comparison. 12 goals and 4 assists for Hull last season and West Ham are supposedly keen, perhaps hoping to replicate their success with Jarod Bowen. Transfermarkt rates him at £10.8 million currently whereas they only go £2.25 million for Antoine. 

Transfermarkt are very shaky in their valuations. Most of them make zero sense. Alex Scott at under £1m for example. 

Edited by P'head Red

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

20 goals/assists in 31 games versus

25 goals/assists in 46 games

Semenyo versus Johnson

No idea what confuses you about my first post

Semenyo is very good but given the choice I'd take Jonhson who is just that level above. All about opinions though.

39 minutes ago, mozo said:

I say keep him til January. There will be a team with budget desperate to improve their attack by then and we get to benefit from a few months of Antoine carnage.

Either let him go now or next summer if he won’t sign a new deal. Letting him or Scott go in January would kill our season.

58 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

Transfermarkt are very shaky in their valuations. Most of them make zero sense. Alex Scott at under £1m for example. 

I don't disagree and don't believe for a minute that KLP should be valued at 4 times AS but if he's sold by Hull it might provide some comparison to Antoine's true value in the current market. 

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I don't disagree and don't believe for a minute that KLP should be valued at 4 times AS but if he's sold by Hull it might provide some comparison to Antoine's true value in the current market. 

True value and a bid we’ll except aren’t the same thing. Unless he forces a move then we don’t want to sell him, so it’s going to take more than just his value to take him off us.

£9 million is a fair bid for him, if we were looking to sell him. 

• Like 1

On his day, Semenyo’s unplayable at this level and worth every penny of the £20m asking price being banded around this summer IMO.

I thought, however, there were signs teams were beginning to figure him out towards the end of the season and for that reason I think it’s a massive season for Semenyo next year. He’s no longer an unknown quantity and will have to raise his game to maintain the standards he’s already set. 

4 minutes ago, tin said:

On his day, Semenyo’s unplayable at this level and worth every penny of the £20m asking price being banded around this summer IMO.

I thought, however, there were signs teams were beginning to figure him out towards the end of the season and for that reason I think it’s a massive season for Semenyo next year. He’s no longer an unknown quantity and will have to raise his game to maintain the standards he’s already set. 

You only have to watch 5-10mins to figure out what he’s all about. Power and pace. Stopping it is a different problem. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, tin said:

In the same way Drogba was figured out,

Semenyo will not be a 20 goal a season striker, he lacks composure I'm front of goals at time (something he is no doubt aware and working on)

What he does bring however is pace power and creativity, and that will trouble the best defenses when he's on form, we saw that when he put Fulham to the sword,

The other thing teams will like and pay top dollar for is his attitude, he works so hard when not playing, he's learning more about the game, his attitude can not be taught 

5 minutes ago, SBB said:

You only have to watch 5-10mins to figure out what he’s all about. Power and pace. Stopping it is a different problem. 

You can add unpredictability to that as well, he isn't a one trick pony.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

In the same way Drogba was figured out,

Semenyo will not be a 20 goal a season striker, he lacks composure I'm front of goals at time (something he is no doubt aware and working on)

What he does bring however is pace power and creativity, and that will trouble the best defenses when he's on form, we saw that when he put Fulham to the sword,

The other thing teams will like and pay top dollar for is his attitude, he works so hard when not playing, he's learning more about the game, his attitude can not be taught 

Remember seeing Drogba for Marseille partnering Steve Marlet (who went to Fulham).  He battered Centre-backs and I thought if ever there was a guy made for the English PL it was him.  Had a slow start but once he got going, when Crespo joined him up front he was so good.  Scored great goals, not a tap-in merchant.

Semenyo has some similarities to his game.

Think Semenyo had a few off-games where he appeared to be trying to do too much, being over-greedy.  Might’ve been Stoke (a) where he slashed high and wide when he could’ve slid it across to Martin.  Martin gave him a rollicking.  Next game against Sheffield Utd, he squared it for a tap-in.  I liked that.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Antoine is not the finished player , that is clear , but he has all the attributes required for the top flight . He is improving and learning fast . You cannot set a logical price as it is irrelevant . It is whatever the club value his 2 years of contract , balancing our needs and those of Antoine . Would he benefit from another full season , undoubtedly yes , would  it stop him getting a big move ? No , maybe enhance it . He will get more game time with us and he is 22 , these are valuable development minutes . Do we value those 2 years at 10 m ? I would say , no , much more . It counts zero what other players sell for . You could argue that we are aiming for play offs ( and we are , we always are ) , what value getting to those and maybe the Prem ? What fee would enable us to better the squad , or replace a 22 year old talent ? Who knows , we were not good at spending a big fee in the past , it is not an exact science . Strikers are gold dust . 

Unless the fee is dramatic , and it would need to be more £20 m than £10 m, Antoine is worth more to us in our team next season . He can leave next summer as a 23 year old with another year of experience of playing full time . If he does well , we all do well . That is not holding him back , it is keeping his development on track , and meeting our needs . Contracts work both ways .  

I would still try to give him a better contract , with exit routes for him and extensions for us if we are promoted/not promoted . So his progress is recognised . 

Money will talk but I do hope for once we put our footballing needs first or we are never going to get near the Prem. 

I think the key lies in recruitment, Brentford always seem to have equivalent or better players lined up to replace those who wish to pursue their careers elsewhere. 
Obviously it didn’t stop them going up . 
You can never stop the conveyor belt of players being poached by bigger clubs, we do it to clubs in the lower leagues , so you have to adapt.

I believe that with the investment in the HPC, playing time offered to those who merit it and the quality of Nigel Pearson, we are an attractive proposition for new and existing players.

NP is slowly changing the culture  of the club and the desire to improve is evident, we have said goodbye to Bristol Cosy football club . 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I would still try to give him a better contract , with exit routes for him and extensions for us if we are promoted/not promoted . So his progress is recognised . 

Giving him a better contract would make sense but then does that not push him towards the likes of what Palmer & Kalas earn which flies in the face of Pearson's desire to have everyone on a similar wage?

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

That’s what I’ve been suggesting too.

Recognise his worth, improve his current wage but set sensible, mutually agreement “exit route” (nice term).

Just say he’s on £100k p.a now (£2k p.w.) which is v.low based on what he’s done for us, then doubling, trebling, etc for a year, with an extended expiry would make a lot of sense, even if he then gets sold next summer (or in January).  It benefits / protects both parties.  Antoine could get injured, heaven forbid.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Giving him a better contract would make sense but then does that not push him towards the likes of what Palmer & Kalas earn which flies in the face of Pearson's desire to have everyone on a similar wage?

I don’t think we’d be entertaining a wage outside of the new wage structure that Nige / Gould wants to implement.  The alleged wages of Kalas and Palmer are out of step with the current market, so we wouldn’t offer Antoine that.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1