IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

100%.

At present we have Weimann, Conway & Wells who can all play parts of his role & it is also worth pointing out we’ve scored in all 4 of our games without him, largely thanks to Andi.

There is an argument therefore & I think it’s yours (?) that if we were stronger defensively and/or in midfield that would be more beneficial & is where to prioritise any funds.

Just to make it clear I’m not saying that Conway or Wells are as good as Antoine, because if they were someone would be offering us £10m+ for them instead, but they could do a better job replacing him than our current options at the back or in midfield.

Final point, if we did look at a striker I’d want someone who could lighten the load on Martin myself, not replace Antoine, at 34 in October we are ready asking a lot of him at present.

Also worth pointing out signing Sykes and Wilson for the right and side has given us muckers more pace as a team, add in Pring over JD and it's even more so.

If we can add a mobile right sided central defender and a central defensive midfielder, and loan a CAM/ST to replace Semenyo for the season and I think that will have been a solid window.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

If he does go - the priority must be a replacement with pace.

They have to make the opposition sit deeper or even need to double up.

We someone who can pick up the ball in our half and run to the edge of the other teams box - just like Albert it Murray.

Part of the reason we coincide so may goals in the amount of team the ball spends  in our half.

That will help our midfield which is light of at least 1 player.

The second priority is that replacement midfielder who is a starter ( I think we actually need 2 maybe a loan as well)

We have Wells to replace Martin - yes diff player but will still take the load off and is Championship ready. 

If Wells go we another Striker.

So min 2 needed and max maybe 4.

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

Exciting to watch. only a handful of City players who have done that over the years. Alan Walsh, the Rougier brothers (in joke), JET. Any more?

Baz Savage was exciting to watch, but for all the wrong reasons 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I have seen a few clips of Devante Rodney at Rochdale? A bit of late developer physical means they have moved him from the wing to central striker, he has a huge amount pace but obviously needs to work on stuff like finishing. I'd like to see us take a punt on someone like that.

Haha, he’s looked really impressive from highlights, and i caught sone of his stuff pre-season. I follow Rochdale on Twitter because over the past couple of seasons they’ve produced some good players who I thought were capable of going higher.

I’m not saying we should target him, but he’s certainly playing better at this point in time than his career previously has suggested. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

My favourite player growing up. Was brilliamt watching him down the flanks.

I’d say he’s my favourite city player of my time! Been going since about 98/99. Proper winger who could score goals! And a very nice chap aswell. Got time for a chat with anyone!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I would rather sell Scott at the moment, maybe Scott has greater potential as he is so good at his age, but AS offers us so much more now, so if we need to cash in on one I would rather sell Scott particularly if we could entice AS with a new longer contract

I think that Benarous can replace Scott. 

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

54 minutes ago, Better Red said:

If he does go - the priority must be a replacement with pace.

They have to make the opposition sit deeper or even need to double up.

We someone who can pick up the ball in our half and run to the edge of the other teams box - just like Albert it Murray.

Part of the reason we coincide so may goals in the amount of team the ball spends  in our half.

That will help our midfield which is light of at least 1 player.

The second priority is that replacement midfielder who is a starter ( I think we actually need 2 maybe a loan as well)

We have Wells to replace Martin - yes diff player but will still take the load off and is Championship ready. 

If Wells go we another Striker.

So min 2 needed and max maybe 4.

Pretty unlikely if his wages are what was (itk) qouted on another thread earlier today. £32k a week.

7 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Pretty unlikely if his wages are what was (itk) qouted on another thread earlier today. £32k a week.

Agree so why not use him.

The whole thing with Wells does not make sense.

Not playing for almost 12 months to get rid of him has not worked and cost us  circa £1.5m

That is shocking and Is simply bad management.  That’s why we are a mess - with Wells we get everything we deserve.

Seems good attitude puts effort in and ‘will score’ goals if he plays. He does not seem to fall into the Palmer/Bakinson bracket so I just don’t get it - Shambles

If Semenyo is so sought after then his price to leave should be at the highest offer we can get, let them all keep raising their offers until it suit's us, if not he stays, simple's!

Don't want him to leave, he's a bit special, but all players have a price, let it go up and up!

42 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I personally find it hard to believe that Pearson would be so publicly happy to keep him around if he was on that much, but nothing surprises me under the MA scramble that January. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

He offers little defensively and that's where the problem lies that and centre of midfield,

It really doesn’t problem is we need to cut out individual errors. Without stupid mistakes we have 6points on the board and this CM debate is a non starter.

Every team in the Championship will have games when the other team will open them up it’s an even league but handing other teams goals with such small margin for error can’t be accepted 

7 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Have seen a couple of tweets about Brighton being interested now too. I’m sure I read Maupay was off, for around £15m.

If he does go, I wouldn’t mind seeing him at Brighton. Good manager, decent football, improving all the time, and he’ll play. 

Maupay to Forest is the talk.

3 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Really unlikely we are paying him that much more than Kalas who joined as our record signing.

Horrendous still, but probably is nearer to £25k.

34 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Apologies if this has already been covered, but if Palace bid for Semenyo, would we be interested in loaning Luke Plange, as he's available according to this:

Bristol City transfer could spark Premier League exit whilst new boy comments about start to life at Ashton Gate | BristolWorld

About as tenuous a link as they come!

10 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Apologies if this has already been covered, but if Palace bid for Semenyo, would we be interested in loaning Luke Plange, as he's available according to this:

Bristol City transfer could spark Premier League exit whilst new boy comments about start to life at Ashton Gate | BristolWorld

Plange was on the bench last night at Anfield, so although the situation could obviously change if they signed Antoine I’d take that with a huge pinch of salt.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Dave Smith, there was a player from my youth, he made a career out of knock it past, run then cross. Loved watching him play

Always remember the Gillingham game the season before we signed him, Chris Honor (now an excellent pundit) was tasked with marking him & on one occasion Smith simply booted the ball about 30 yards forward into space down the wing & basically challenged Honor to a foot race to it.

Unsurprisingly he beat Chris to it by absolutely miles, I’ve never seen it before or since in a pro game.

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Always remember the Gillingham game the season before we signed him, Chris Honor (now an excellent pundit) was tasked with marking him & on one occasion Smith simply booted the ball about 30 yards forward into space down the wing & basically challenged Honor to a foot race to it.

Unsurprisingly he beat Chris to it by absolutely miles, I’ve never seen it before or since in a pro game.

I honestly don’t know why quick, strong players bother trying to beat an opponent with skill on counter attacks…just knock it past them and win the foot race.

Dave Smith is one of the few times I've really admired an opposition player, we've signed him & he turned out ad good as I'd hopes.  A pretty basic player, but quick as a whippet & foot like a traction engine. 

He was also involved in 1 of my fave all time goals at the Gate, home to Blackburn, 1st game of the season after promotion, a fantastic left foot cross headed home with aplomb by Nicky Morgan.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Always been intrigued by this foot race term. It always used to be a sprint, is there another version now, egg and spoon, on your knees, on all fours, or your hands. Where on earth did it come from ? Do feet actually race ? It's one for @Major Isewatermethinks. 

I haven't - l've never heard it before!

Win the race would suffice, the word 'foot' in front of it is superfluous surely.

Interested to know where it's come from - America perhaps?