IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

Well….

- If Solanke and Tavernier are injured

- If Semenyo is bang on form and can hit the ground running 

- If they desperately need reinforcements in view of position/form

- If they’ve just been taken over by a money laden consortium 

- If Keiffer Moore is ****ing shit

…then it suggests to me that we’re in a position to drive a hard bargain and get a good fee, notwithstanding Antoines contract scenario

So, our prior £12m mooted fee just went up a bit for me.

• Like 9

We can't be taken for mugs here. He is the one attacker in our squad who can commit multiple defenders and create that something out of nothing against strong defences. Our return to form has coincided with his return to form, I think his departure from the starting 11 would weaken us the most.

Edited by marcofisher
  • Like 12

57 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Well….

…then it suggests to me that we’re in a position to drive a hard bargain and get a good fee, notwithstanding Antoines contract scenario

I expect they'll look towards Europe a bit but I'm never the most bullish- they are currently linked with a £20m wide man from Ligue 1.

Bournemouth also seem keen on a return for Danjuma too.

To play Devil's Advocate are Championship players being priced out of the market a bit? In that PL clubs so far have spent £0 on Championship players this window.

Having re-read maybe I'm being a bit negative. £15m or are you thinking more?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

28 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Who are they? What will THEY cost, if they're to improve our team? I don't believe we'd be signing anybody, at the moment, that would walk in and improve the team.

I agree with you , our championship status is too important right now. Sit Semenyo down and tell him he can go in the summer , keep his form up , score / assist goals and bigger clubs then Bournemouth will come in for him. Then allows us the summer to bring new players in and revamp the squad 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

31 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Who are they? What will THEY cost, if they're to improve our team? I don't believe we'd be signing anybody, at the moment, that would walk in and improve the team.

Richard Gould did say they might/could bring forward summer targets to January.

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fixed. ???

God, reminds me of the old joke.

Gerry Francis collapses in Broadmead and a well meaning passer by takes him into the building society. Gerry awakens and says “Jesus, where am I”

A staff member says “It’s ok Gerry, you’re in the Alliance”

Gerry replies, puzzled “I knew we were shit but what happened to division 4”

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I expect they'll look towards Europe a bit but I'm never the most bullish- they are currently linked with a £20m wide man from Ligue 1.

Bournemouth also seem keen on a return for Danjuma too.

To play Devil's Advocate are Championship players being priced out of the market a bit? In that PL clubs so far have spent £0 on Championship players this window.

Having re-read maybe I'm being a bit negative. £15m or are you thinking more?

I think what we have to remember is that it’s as late in the window for Bournemouth as it is for us. Overseas signings can be trickier and riskier as you don’t know how they’ll adapt (Lois Diony anyone?) so bizarrely, the lower risk option here both in terms of time to get signing done and time to integrate is a Semenyo (Danjima excepted). 

For me, the price goes up the nearer we are to window end. It’s more beneficial to us the longer we have him and Bournemouth need bodies ASAP.

I’d be looking at £15m as start point due to all the factors identified

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think what we have to remember is that it’s as late in the window for Bournemouth as it is for us. Overseas signings can be trickier and riskier as you don’t know how they’ll adapt (Lois Diony anyone?) so bizarrely, the lower risk option here both in terms of time to get signing done and time to integrate is a Semenyo (Danjima excepted). 

For me, the price goes up the nearer we are to window end. It’s more beneficial to us the longer we have him and Bournemouth need bodies ASAP.

Agree with a lot of what you say but I do wonder if a shift in market dynamic towards foreign over Championship is beginning. Time will tell and more specifically quick skimread for Semenyo news said he's been on a shortlist for a while but nothing concrete yet.

My quick analysis is only 7-7.5 percent of PL expenditure in the summer was on Championship players and of those not from freshly relegated clubs, it falls to maybe 3-3.5 percent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

It would seem that I owe @Mr Popodopolous an apology.

I had forgotten/was never aware that Danjuma used to play for Bournemouth, but now see that he did indeed - from 2019 to 2021, no less.

Hence, when Mr P suggested earlier that 'Bournemouth also seem keen on a return for Danjuma too', I assumed he was making an awful joke/pun referencing the 1960s instrumental by The Upsetters, Return of Django, and was going to post.

It is probably lucky I didn't, as I was also going to question his redundant use of 'also' and 'too' in the same sentence ?.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Think of longer term. This form isn’t gunna last forever and our squad is thin. Selling AS for a decent sum will allow us to sign a few players of real quality fingers crossed and add depth to the squad 

In addition to the benefit at the end of this financial year, there is also the fact that we are only nine points from the play offs.

I believe that we are definitely nowhere near being ready to make it to the promised land next season. But the play offs would firstly add to our income for FFP. Secondly it provides our growing number of young inexperienced with more opportunities to speed up this aspect of their learning curves.

For the supporters it could help us to become more positive about performance and results and create more noisy support than the present.

I've always thought that a lot of midland and northern clubs that have spent decades in top two tiers with cup finals and titles, even if decades ago, are quick to slag their sides when they are poor. Yet they react much more noisily and quickly to positive effort than we do. That can be the difference between drawing and winning/losing.

So hanging on to all but one sale, and limited recruitment, will give us a real boost to climb well away from the drop zone and might even go further as outlined above.

COYREDS FOREVER.

16 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

If it was Southampton or a established prem side yes. Bournemouth would be a poor career move imo 

Luckily you're not his agent. £15 million to us is £15 million whoever pays it. At least we will get to see him at Ashton Gate again next season.

The Athletic article says "If all goes well, a deal could be arranged this week."

The Bristol Post said after Swansea away      'Pearson was also asked whether there had been an update on outgoings in the squad in which he suggested nothing that changed although he hints about potential movement next week. "No. Not really," he said. "There’s nothing further to add, there’s lots of tentative talk but I would expect things to maybe develop over the next week or so, but no guarantees. I won’t be speculating anymore until something is worth reporting.” '

Sounds like they could both be talking about the same thing. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Luckily you're not his agent. £15 million to us is £15 million whoever pays it. At least we will get to see him at Ashton Gate again next season.

I was thinking about his career as I stated previously . Any agent worth his salt would want him to go to the right club 

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Well….

No “if” re Keiffer Moore, he’s absolutely dogshit at Prem level.

Still “he’d love to knock England out of the World Cup” tosser.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boston Red said:

The Athletic article says "If all goes well, a deal could be arranged this week."

The Bristol Post said after Swansea away      'Pearson was also asked whether there had been an update on outgoings in the squad in which he suggested nothing that changed although he hints about potential movement next week. "No. Not really," he said. "There’s nothing further to add, there’s lots of tentative talk but I would expect things to maybe develop over the next week or so, but no guarantees. I won’t be speculating anymore until something is worth reporting.” '

Sounds like they could both be talking about the same thing. 

Think that could be talking about Klose’s supposed mutual consent maybe, that he alluded to last week. Would free up wages for a loan. Maybe Martin outgoing too. 

I think this weekends game week will have a huge impact on any big bids. Bournemouth vs Forest, West Ham vs Everton, Saints vs Villa. Imagine any losers from the first one in particular will be triggered into panic bid mode. 

Edited by petehinton

4 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I was thinking about his career as I stated previously . Any agent worth his salt would want him to go to the right club 

I could see him at Brentford and fitting their style albeit they aren't yet an established PL side but seem to be very well run currently. The London connection too.

20 hours ago, CTIDhc said:

A lot of discontent from Bournemouth fans in the replies to that news 

To be fair, there's always discontent from a number of our fans when we buy a player a division below us too. I think there's a small but vocal element of any fan base that expects every their club to be signing Messi. 

14 hours ago, petehinton said:

Think that could be talking about Klose’s supposed mutual consent maybe, that he alluded to last week. Would free up wages for a loan. Maybe Martin outgoing too. 

I think this weekends game week will have a huge impact on any big bids. Bournemouth vs Forest, West Ham vs Everton, Saints vs Villa. Imagine any losers from the first one in particular will be triggered into panic bid mode. 

More likely referring to the Bajic loan or stating the rather obvious, that the nearer we get to the end of the window the more deals happen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

More likely referring to the Bajic loan or stating the rather obvious, that the nearer we get to the end of the window the more deals happen.

What we’ve seen early in the window is a flurry of deals:

• predominantly loan deals ending and then going out again, probably arranged pre-window in most case
  • a lesser number of loans for players going out for the first time this season, e.g. out of favour, or to free up some wages
  • a small number of mutual terminations to allow a move to another club

We are now in the middle period “lull”.

As you say, get this weekend’s fixtures out the way and then we will start to see activity.

Its been a pretty quiet window otherwise.