IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

Apologies if this has been mentioned previously, however watching AS leave the pitch on Saturday he didn't look like someone who had played their last game for the club.

I'd therefore speculate that (at that time) there was and is nothing serious happening (bid wise), and as @petehinton has said the club would be reluctant to do a late deal with insufficient time to source a replacement.

1 hour ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

I have said more than once on FBC Podcast that Palace could be a possible destination. How about West Ham too as understudy to the faltering Antonio? Rob Newman was at the game last weekend with a notepad and I'm sure it wasn't just to enjoy the company of Matt Withers who he was sat next to!

20 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I’m gonna stick my neck out and say I don’t reckon he’s gonna go. The club have been clear in the past that deals need to be done with enough time. If we haven’t accepted a bid before Friday, I can’t see how we’d accept one and have enough time to get replacements in. 

Surely the club have a list of identified targets based on a range of scenarios based on likely sale income varying between £8M-£12M. That said, if target x has a value of, say, £2M you just know the selling club will ask for more!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Taz said:

These "links" with Palace, if genuine, would probably be the best move for him to be fair. They play decent football, a system/players that would probably suit his style of play, and you would think are probably less likely to be drawn into a relegation fight. Looking ahead, they also generally buy whilst the players are on the up, and then sell for a bigger price a few years down the line - better for us.

He's going to be gone within the next 18 months or so, the question is when. If we do sell this window, I think that with the current regime they will be making things clear that any deal needs to be done by a certain date, otherwise he's going nowhere until the summer at least. Also think (hope) that a replacement is in the pipelines ready to go, should any deal happen. That's not to say that someone else could come in in the meantime and take said player away from us though....

So if we go on the "stories" being true, we have Burnley, Bournemouth, Palace and Southampton all watching and showing an interest. I think if he's still here on Saturday, what he does when he leaves the pitch will give us a clearer indication of what he is planning on doing for the rest of the season.

Probably best move for us too in terms of maxing out his future value for a sell on. 

If they can get to a reasonable upfront fee then this is probably best possible move for all concerned. His career could go either way but he’s definitely got a chance.

If he goes for mid teens plus sell on, great business and fingers crossed he does well - for him and us. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BS3City said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned previously, however watching AS leave the pitch on Saturday he didn't look like someone who had played their last game for the club.

I'd therefore speculate that (at that time) there was and is nothing serious happening (bid wise), and as @petehinton has said the club would be reluctant to do a late deal with insufficient time to source a replacement.

There absolutely was something serious happening. You must’ve forgotten the confirmed 8 and 10 million pound bids that we rejected on Thursday. 

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Okay, let’s assume he’s still here in the summer.

If proposed buying clubs don’t match the club’s evaluation of him (whatever value that is / and it might change over the summer window) then they won’t sell him.  Is Antoine prepared to do a Massengo and not play for a year?  Those clubs will look elsewhere won’t they?  Bournemouth have!

Will be interesting to see whether this latest Palace rumour follows through.

As it stands he is worth a lot to us, hence why we are holding out.

To say we are safe from relegation without him is naive.  Blackpool / Huddersfield was postponed on Saturday.  A winner would’ve meant we were 4 points from safety.  We’re we praying for a draw?

Of course if Antoine does go this window, then we strengthen our squad, but that assumes we can execute on those players.  With 6 days to go that becomes harder and harder and dearer and dearer.

Is leaving Semenyo in the reserves for a year genuinely an option for the club?

I raised this on the other thread and got derided when I asked if Blackburn should have similarly punished Brereton-Diaz. There seemed to be a feeling that a club can't banish their best player/goalscorer.

Would the fans accept seeing Semenyo rot in the reserves during the inevitable spells when the team is struggling to score.

Don't forget we would only be able to replace him by selling Scott because otherwise we wouldn't have the budget. 

Surely neither Semenyo or his agent will be at all troubled by the Massengo situation?

They'll be comfortable that either the club accepts an offer or he waits for the next window. There's no pressure to sign a contract and he'll be pushing for a move if he deems offers to be a acceptable. 

Edited by mozo

24 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I’m gonna stick my neck out and say I don’t reckon he’s gonna go. The club have been clear in the past that deals need to be done with enough time. If we haven’t accepted a bid before Friday, I can’t see how we’d accept one and have enough time to get replacements in. 

Wonder if they would be prepared to recall Rak-Sakyi from his loan at Charlton & then send him to us to sweeten the deal?

He’s not physically as strong as Antoine (few his age are) but he’s a decent player & it means we would immediately have the replacement we would need with Conway out long term & Martin out of favour?

26 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Whilst id agree with this and hope its true, Money talks and if another club offers what the club perceive as acceptable he'll be gone -regardless of timing. 

37 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

What’s your solution, then?

Offer all of those who are out of contract pay rises to stay that we can’t afford? No I recall you suggested a new 3 year deal for Chris Martin at one point, a bit like that then? I don't believe I did; on FBC I've been saying since the autumn his legs have gone

No one is coming in to sign them, apart from Bentley, whose move you appear very keen to doubt (want a bet?). No ta!

You used to include Wells in this list of course but we resolved that one. We did indeed and his on field performances this season warranted  this. I'm OK with it if Kalas signs for 50% less but wouldn't be bothered if JD departed for nothing.

Just now, headhunter said:

You did say that re Martin, Neil & I discussed it at the following game.

You said “as he was integral to how Nige played we should offer him a new maybe 3 year deal”.

Your reply suggests you think Gould is adopting exactly the right strategy, so I am confused as to why you highlighted that these players are out of contract?

18 minutes ago, James54De said:

There absolutely was something serious happening. You must’ve forgotten the confirmed 8 and 10 million pound bids that we rejected on Thursday. 

Based on his actions at the end of the game I'd say he didn't consider it serious enough to show any reaction. The bids may have been serious but he would've known the clubs thought process and the implications that has on the position.

1 hour ago, BS3City said:

I don't think Semenyo is really a fan of this club tbh so doesn't feel a strong emotional attachment to it. Hence the lack of a goodbye. 

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Think I read before Semenyo is from south London so Crystal Palace would be a great move for him especially as they've dipped into the Championship before and played those players.

Not at all aimed at you @RedRoss but I simply don’t understand football fans obsession with players being keen to move to clubs near to where they come from - unless of course they support said club.

People in all walks of life move to other parts of the country for work reasons indeed, some move to different continents!

In this case Palace may be the right move for the player , if they are genuinely interested, I doubt location would be high on the list of deciding factors if he has more than one offer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

Not at all aimed at you @RedRoss but I simply don’t understand football fans obsession with players being keen to move to clubs near to where they come from - unless of course they support said club.

People in all walks of life move to other parts of the country for work reasons indeed, some move to different continents!

In this case Palace may be the right move for the player , if they are genuinely interested, I doubt location would be high on the list of deciding factors if he has more than one offer.

No offense taken and I agree. The main factors for him joining Crystal Palace would be.. Premier League football (most players ambition) Wages (set for life), Opportunities at the club, Manager but I'm sure location also plays a fairly big part.

As for why clubs leak interest in players as mentioned earlier in the thread.

To turn a players head surely. Stories of interest used to and still probably do still appear in Marca ahead of a potential incoming bid e.g. 

Player may start agitating for a move etc. Maybe it comes from an agent at one end or another too. Tbh Semenyo has been totally professional this January but higher level, higher wage yes heads will be turned certainly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Is leaving Semenyo in the reserves for a year genuinely an option for the club?

I raised this on the other thread and got derided when I asked if Blackburn should have similarly punished Brereton-Diaz. There seemed to be a feeling that a club can't banish their best player/goalscorer.

Would the fans accept seeing Semenyo rot in the reserves during the inevitable spells when the team is struggling to score.

Don't forget we would only be able to replace him by selling Scott because otherwise we wouldn't have the budget. 

Surely neither Semenyo or his agent will be at all troubled by the Massengo situation?

They'll be comfortable that either the club accepts an offer or he waits for the next window. There's no pressure to sign a contract and he'll be pushing for a move if he deems offers to be an acceptable. 

Yes, it is an option.

But what will most likely happen in this situation is that club / player / agent sit down and have a sensible discussion about valuation, contract, what will happen if valuation is met, not met, etc. if parties are miles apart you probably get a disgruntled player.  OTIB will speculate whether “his head has been turned”, they might deduce it from what they see on the pitch

What I’m frustrated about from some in this thread is that it seems to be all the give has to be on City’s side.  Bournemouth took “5 mins” to increase their offer by £2m.  They’d gone in low, as is their prerogative. 

28 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

His girlfriend is in London if that has any bearing.

There’s a certain romance (for the want of a better word) around Semenyo heading back to London.

When he left London for Bristol he was doing so as someone who was off to study and play football for his college side, he would be returning as a Premier League footballer. 

Edited by Betty Swallocks
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, RedRoss said:

No offense taken and I agree. The main factors for him joining Crystal Palace would be.. Premier League football (most players ambition) Wages (set for life), Opportunities at the club, Manager but I'm sure location also plays a fairly big part.

I understand from a family contact that London is indeed very appealing to Antoine. 
I think you are right, in most cases footballers probably aren’t too bothered, but I believe in this case, London would certainly be a preference. 

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said: