IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

11 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

9 mill and 1.5 in add ons? Hope not but could very much be the case

In life, something or someone is worth what someone else is prepared to pay. It’s been clear that no clubs are prepared to pay any more so, as the saying goes, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jerseybean said:

But no deal is yet understood to be close for Semenyo, with a move to London-based Crystal Palace said to be his preferred option, should they match Cherries’ bid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Thank Sky, BT etc.

I well know why it's possible. I've made my opinions and thoughts on how to try and fix it well known on the forum, and have spoken to the club and to fan groups about this subject as well. I'm not just moaning about it on here. I am actively trying to do something about it (so far as I can). It's still crap. 

3 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

We'd be doing the same to save our PL status if positions were reversed. Just business.

Hand on heart I hope we would try not to raid the Championship. Brentford have 'only' done so in respect of taking Lewis-Potter from Hull for £19m. It is possible to stay in the Premier League, and do well there, without taking advantage of desperate clubs in the division below. Football clubs do not exist in isolation and a stronger pyramid with better depth and a wider spread of talent is to the ultimate benefit of fans of all clubs, and ultimately creates a better product for the broadcasters. 

• Like 2

I think 10 million plus for a striker who is not a natural goal scorer is a fair price considering the present financial crisis this country is in. Anyone watching some of Antoine's misses in front of goal would probably think we were lucky to get that. Let's hope we replace him with a goal scorer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

But no deal is yet understood to be close for Semenyo, with a move to London-based Crystal Palace said to be his preferred option, should they match Cherries’ bid.

Bristol Live understands that Crystal Palace, Semenyo’s preferred destination due to his London roots, were invited to make a counter offer but that hasn’t been forthcoming and Bournemouth have been the only club to make a credible bid and the 23-year-old is set to undergo a medical this afternoon.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Could this not be detrimental to us? If Palace are only going to match Bournemouth's bid then this will just slow everything down leaving us less time to sign a replacement. If Palace came in with an improved offer that's different, but why would they.

3 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Could this not be detrimental to us? If Palace are only going to match Bournemouth's bid then this will just slow everything down leaving us less time to sign a replacement. If Palace came in with an improved offer that's different, but why would they.

Let's just wait and see. Anything can happen. We've been gazumped ourselves before so..........It's not over til the fat lady sings.

28 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I well know why it's possible. I've made my opinions and thoughts on how to try and fix it well known on the forum, and have spoken to the club and to fan groups about this subject as well. I'm not just moaning about it on here. I am actively trying to do something about it (so far as I can). It's still crap. 

Hand on heart I hope we would try not to raid the Championship. Brentford have 'only' done so in respect of taking Lewis-Potter from Hull for £19m. It is possible to stay in the Premier League, and do well there, without taking advantage of desperate clubs in the division below. Football clubs do not exist in isolation and a stronger pyramid with better depth and a wider spread of talent is to the ultimate benefit of fans of all clubs, and ultimately creates a better product for the broadcasters. 

No disrespect intended, but i disagree completely (i guess that's what a forum is all about).

We'd be attempting to 'raid' which ever club we could to try to get the best players we felt could help save our PL status - and we'd be trying to do it for as cheap as possible (or at least i hope we would). 

I don't believe for one second there would be any sort of principles of honour or lost sleep from City for trying to take the best talent from lower divisions if we were in Bournemouths position. 

In fact, i would prefer we did that (if it meant we could get the best players that improved us/could develop) rather than we spend larger sums of money on players in the PL/from abroad.

All clubs would do the same. That's just football and business. 

Edited by Loco Rojo
  • Like 4

Just now, Loco Rojo said:

No disrespect intended, but i disagree completely (i guess that's what a forum is all about).

We'd be attempting to 'raid' which ever club we could to try to get the best players we felt could help save our PL status - and we'd be trying to do it for as cheap as posible (or at least i hope we would). 

I don't believe for one second there would be any sort of principles of honour or lost sleep from City for trying to take the best talent from lower divisions if we were in Bournemouths position. 

In fact, i would prefer we did that (if it meant we could get the best players that improved us/could develop) rather than we spend larger sums of money on players in the PL/from abroad.

All clubs would do the same. That's just football and business. 

I agree. After all, we raided Rovers and took advantage. No sentiment imo.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Really worth watching Nige’s press conference today.

so open and full of detail, not just on Semenyo, but recruitment, finances, philosophy, etc.

New faces bit was interesting. I took it to mean we’re going to see an academy player on the bench who we’ve not yet seen. 

On 24/01/2023 at 19:17, pongo88 said:

If Semenjo doesn’t go, and consequently doesn’t get a big pay rise, he could be a bit grumpy.  This is what we want. Remember when Devon Malcolm was hit on the head batting against South Africa. He said “You guys are history” and took 9 for 57 when South Africa batted. 

Nothing wrong with a tidy 9 for 57 ?

9 for 57.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Flames 2

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Really worth watching Nige’s press conference today.

so open and full of detail, not just on Semenyo, but recruitment, finances, philosophy, etc.

Watching that I was impressed with his candor and thankful that we have him leading our club through, let's face it, one of our toughest times in our history. Results on the pitch have been patchy but there's no doubt in my mind that he's been intricately involved in changing things behind the scenes that will beat fruit in the near future. Hopefully he has a few aces up his sleeve now that he has some financial wiggle room. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1