IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

53 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Why are some people talking like Semenyo was some kind of super star and single handedly keeping us in the championship?

Because he was one of the few players who could get you on the edge of your seat and change a game - like Cardiff last year, Birmingham this.

We’ve all suffered the no shots on target years - it felt like Semenyo could lead us out of them.

Haven’t felt like this since we sold Bobby.

55 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is a balanced asessment.

I am hoping that as we go through the financial rebuild, we will move into a position where we can more easily resist these types of offers. Yes I know the PL is very difficult to resist or certain European clubs for that matter but even if this is the case, the value must be maximised-- moving forward I believe that we'll be in a paoiton to do this, or keep our best players for longer if this not met.

Unsure about Leeds, think they are and have been a bigger club than us throughout the bulk of their history.

Scott is contracted until 2025 and we are seeking to tie him down for longer- but hopefully if he goes in the summer he will be the last for some time and we will maximise his value.

Cornick I see as a useful replacement tactically albeit not with such a high ceiling as Semenyo.

Leeds maybe a bigger club but did we really have to give them their club captain for nothing wasnt it? Forgot about Burnley and a captain they also had from us although it cost them a few quid, Mr Reid to Fulham, Webster to Brighton there are many others.

How can it be Bournemouth with their tiny ground are yet again cherry picking our best players for sums we can only dream of.

Please tell me what are they doing to get where they are that we are not?

You say after Scott that could be the last for sometime,....please wake up, Bell or whoever will continue to depart, who ever shines out will be hoovered up by others, until the power that be says "right thats it stop no more big sales for a few seasons " we are going to make a determind effort to make a promotion push.

I repeat again you cannot build anything grand if you continue to sell off your best bits, thats what we are doing and its just getting us back to the start again. Yes a few million for NP or whoever to invest in but ffs keep the investments STOP SELLING THEM OFF.

Edited by gl2

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

I mean, if he hadn’t scored against Blackburn we would have lost, didn’t score against Swansea in the FA Cup we would be out, didn’t score against Cov… yep we would have lost…

Current form doesn’t look too rosy then does it?

Yeah cmon mate everyone knows Chris Martin would’ve buried those 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Because he was one of the few players who could get you on the edge of your seat and change a game - like Cardiff last year, Birmingham this.

We’ve all suffered the no shots on target years - it felt like Semenyo could lead us out of them.

My sentiments exactly.

When he started running at defenders I always thought something could come of it, the most exciting player to watch for me.

• Like 2

No point saying don’t sell them off while we’re in the current league/financial position.

The only way we will ever keep our talent is to develop a TEAM that can challenge for promotion with every squad member contributing at roughly the same level with no weak links. Difficult ask. Our Academy is now producing, our recruitment for the first team squad has been generally pretty poor in recent years. 

We have got to up our recruitment game significantly otherwise we remain on the hamster wheel going nowhere. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, gl2 said:

Leeds maybe a bigger club but did we really have to give them their club captain for nothing wasnt it? Forgot about Burnley and a captain they also had from us although it cost them a few quid, Mr Reid to Fulham, Webster to Brighton there are many others.

How can it be Bournemouth with their tiny ground are yet again cherry picking our best players for sums we can only dream of.

Please tell me what are they doing to get where they are that we are not?

You say after Scott that could be the last for sometime,....please wake up, Bell or whoever will continue to depart, who ever shines out will be hoovered up by others, until the power that be says "right thats it stop no more big sales for a few seasons " we are going to make a determind effort to make a promotion push.

I repeat again you cannot build anything grand if you continue to sell off your best bits, thats what we are doing and it's just getting us back to the start again. Yes a few million for NP or whoever to invest in but ffs keep the investments STOP SELLING THEM OFF.

I get your frustration but Bournemouth delivered on the pitch and got the promotion to the PL.  They are now enjoying the benefits of a few years in the PL plus parachute payments.

We went close under Gary Johnson but ultimately over the last few years a number of clubs have left us behind.  Clubs like Brighton and Brentford are great examples of how to get to the promised land and hopefully stay there for a bit!

5 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Glad it’s not just me… 

Easy to say ‘somebody else would have played’ but they’re not Antoine Semenyo.

Someone else might have played against Lincoln and scored the two sitters from six yards out. As I said it's a skewed argument.

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

I’m really not sure about the rants I’ve seen on here. Selling best players blah blah, season ticket blah blah, etc etc

City needed money from somewhere and this opens the opportunity to maybe have a little to spend come July. It also opens a pathway for Sam Bell. It’s how it works! That’s how Brentford did it and what we are trying to emulate.  

If Premier clubs come for your players then it’s incredibly difficult to keep hold of players who are dreaming of the riches available!

Anyway newsflash, it’s highly likely Alex Scott will be gone by the beginning of next season and hopefully another lad will come through or be brought in. Get used to it! Most are!!

That's all fine and dandy, and can completely understand it if it was pre season. What really gets my back up is selling irreplaceable players mid season when we are by no means safe. 

2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

I mean, if he hadn’t scored against Blackburn we would have lost, didn’t score against Swansea in the FA Cup we would be out, didn’t score against Cov… yep we would have lost…

Current form doesn’t look too rosy then does it?

If Bell didn’t score in the replay we wouldn’t of won

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Atticus said:

That's all fine and dandy, and can completely understand it if it was pre season. What really gets my back up is selling irreplaceable players mid season when we are by no means safe. 

It's a calculated risk but City are between a rock and a hard place - we'll never know if it was the best thing to do, but it seems a completely reasonable course of action to take based on our current circumstances., especially if we have a plan of action to mitigate the loss in the short term (i..e. a decent PL loan, of bringing forward a signing we were intending to make (maybe on an ooc player) in the Summer.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

It's a calculated risk but City are between a rock and a hard place - we'll never know if it was the best thing to do, but it seems a completely reasonable course of action to take based on our current circumstances., especially if we have a plan of action to mitigate the loss in the short term (i..e. a decent PL loan, of bringing forward a signing we were intending to make (maybe on an ooc player) in the Summer.

Well soon see I suppose. I'm not holding much confidence in being able to mitigate the loss at all during the Jan. window. 

12 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Well soon see I suppose. I'm not holding much confidence in being able to mitigate the loss at all during the Jan. window. 

PL loanee plus Cornick might help by way of example.

I totally agree about mid-season though the principle of it- could a continued in form Semenyo have pushed up towards Or closer towards £15m by the summer. Feels a couple of to a few million too light IMO but the market post Covid at this level seems to have problems.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Semenyo : cost nuffink sold for £10 million ish possibly £15 million  ish with add ons.

Luverly bit of business- he was always gonna go. BCFC in a better place as a result.

Every single club , unless at the top of the Prem or big name about to be promoted to the Prem, is a selling club.

Some of the money will go to reducing debt, some of the money will go to adding new players. Let's see what happens next.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Semenyo : cost nuffink sold for £10 million ish possibly £15 million  ish with add ons.

Luverly bit of business- he was always gonna go. BCFC in a better place as a result.

Every single club , unless at the top of the Prem or big name about to be promoted to the Prem, is a selling club.

Some of the money will go to reducing debt, some of the money will go to adding new players. Let's see what happens next.

Reportedly although only a few reports says £9m fee with an additional up to £1.5m add-ons, we'll only find out or be able to make an educated guess when our accounts are out in late 2023 probably.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Reportedly although only a few reports says £9m fee with an additional up to £1.5m add-ons, we'll only find out or be able to make an educated guess when our accounts are out in late 2023 probably.

Either way- really good bit of business. If he nails it then we'll get a wedge when he's sold and if he doesn't then we were lucky.

What's not to like?

20 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Either way- really good bit of business. If he nails it then we'll get a wedge when he's sold and if he doesn't then we were lucky.

What's not to like?

Yes there is the sell-on aspect, but I'm not wholly comfortable with the reported up front fee- although if we were in a bit of an interesting position financially and the post Covid Championship transfer market then this is a powerful counter argument.

Okay from a profit and loss perspective and on the pitch perspective, Sheffield United are significantly better placed than us but have a bit of a cloud with an embargo currently.

Rights and wrongs of the regulatory system aside, reportedly they have accepted a bid of £20m for Ndiaye from Everton but the player himself has rejected it, Alan Biggs has backed this up.

Both expired in summer 2024, Ndiaye is a bit younger and possibly further along as a player but?? Is there a great deal of difference between the two players to warrant £20m v £9m plus £1.5m add-on (reportedly anyway).

Still a bit on the fence about whether we could have got a few million more,  but otoh promotion is worth much more to Sheffield United than selling now and collapsing plus will enable a swift repayment of any transfer debt overdue if still going on.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

@AtticusFrom watching Antoine’s video, it appears his shin injury scuppered a summer move, and pushed it back to this window.  No fans really want a gamechanger like Antoine to leave, least of all one hitting form.

I totally get your angle about the risk with relegation still be carefully avoided.  We are by no means safe, and me thinking we have enough quality is no guarantee.

But when a player wants to go, and a PL club comes knocking, there’s nothing you can do.  I’d say Adam Webster was worse timing and that was a summer window!  We’ve got 4 days to bring in a player or two to strengthen what we have left.  We’ve brought in Haikin to push Max.  That’s a sensible start of paper.

Cornick (should he sign) I see as a bit of a facilitator, he’ll help others from the range of facets he brings.  The money gives us a much bigger pond to fish in, albeit not long left.  I still think most business will be done in the summer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

How often did he do that once the transfer window closed tho? 

He'd have been gone in the summer had he of not got injured. 

His heart wasn't in it mate. He wasn't going to sign a new contract. We had to get the most we could for him and we did. 

Very few Championship clubs can compete with 50k a week wages. 

Time to move on mate. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@AtticusFrom watching Antoine’s video, it appears his shin injury scuppered a summer move, and pushed it back to this window.  No fans really want a gamechanger like Antoine to leave, least of all one hitting form.

I totally get your angle about the risk with relegation still be carefully avoided.  We are by no means safe, and me thinking we have enough quality is no guarantee.

But when a player wants to go, and a PL club comes knocking, there’s nothing you can do.  I’d say Adam Webster was worse timing and that was a summer window!  We’ve got 4 days to bring in a player or two to strengthen what we have left.  We’ve brought in Haikin to push Max.  That’s a sensible start of paper.

Cornick (should he sign) I see as a bit of a facilitator, he’ll help others from the range of facets he brings.  The money gives us a much bigger pond to fish in, albeit not long left.  I still think most business will be done in the summer.

The money seems to get us no-where, while continously selling off our prized assets to clubs who are no bigger than ourselves? we should be the likes of Bournemouth, Brighton, Burnley, Brentford and Fulham plying our trade in the prem and fishing ourselves in the championship.

Why arent we? well you have to look right to the top to find that out, unless we change our build policy we going no-where while "lesser" clubs pass us by. We seem to be getting worse not better the plan aint working.

Edited by gl2

Well- Bournemouth fans are taking to Antoine Semenyo so much so that they've been busy working out anagrams of his name with 

"Yo eatin' semen, no? " being the stand out favourite.  Meanwhile they also believe that we are signing Harry Connick jr as his replacement. I flipping hate football fans.

Excited to see how he does. Hopefully it all clicks into place for him because has all the attributes and seems a good guy. I thought his goodbye message was lovely - felt unusually genuine for that sort of thing.

At that level, the key bits will be working on that first touch and being able to look after the ball when it’s played into him and adding composure to his finishing. He’s always struck such a clean ball, but is miles too wasteful for the Premier League currently.

It’ll be very interesting - he has a lot to work on but good luck to him and I think it’s a good deal for both parties.

• Like 3