IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I thought his fellow attackers positioning was poor, if he wanted that pass he should have come far more central.

Agree. The other run does nothing. The covering defender comes across to Semenyo but the other attacker doesn’t take any decisive action to put himself in an obvious place to receive the ball. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

In today’s press conference Nige said (paraphrased) - we can’t afford an Antoine, they cost £11m or whatever it was.

Was he just playing with the press or did he let it slip?

Yeah, I took it as a slip, then added a “or whatever it was” to brush over it.

• Like 1

On 22/02/2023 at 11:28, Davefevs said:

In today’s press conference Nige said (paraphrased) - we can’t afford an Antoine, they cost £11m or whatever it was.

Was he just playing with the press or did he let it slip?

A bit of both. Today’s story has brought Semenyo back into focus. It’s implied, if true,  City may not do as well as they could have and some will jump on that and use it as a criticism of the club.

If I were Pearson if it is true I’d want to know how Bristol post got it and if not just take the piss out of the nay sayers! 

I’m not speaking with any authority here, but I think we’d have been stupid to base a “survival” payout on appearance / minutes.  That’s not to say we could drive the deal we wanted, but it would leave us open to Bournemouth playing silly buggers with his game time.

• Like 3

Pheck me.............I really miss watching Antoine play......we just aren't as entertaining without him.......and as is obviously apparent, our goalscoring has most definitely suffered........such is the life of a Championship club?................and so it goes?

Edited by maxjak

28 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Tinman, guest speaker at Senior Reds today, seemed to be of the opinion that Bournemouth staying up would be of financial benefit to us.

Very glad to hear this. I like others would be amazed that we wouldn’t get a payout. Although I suspect there is additional awards for goals and minutes.

Basically I guess that’s the rub, an extra million (my number just for fun) if they stay up and more based upon contribution to the team. 

Either way cmon Muff!

Edited by REDOXO

I hate that PL clubs (lower table ones at that) have the financial clout to hoover up any half decent talent in the Championship and just let them sit on their benches game after game. There's an argument that the player could be more wise to their position but when the bright lights and ££ come calling I guess it's hard to turn down.  How many clubs have their bets talent poached when it could be the difference between them pushing on for some time in the Prem of their own or languishing mid table

1 hour ago, Frenchay Red said:

Tinman, guest speaker at Senior Reds today, seemed to be of the opinion that Bournemouth staying up would be of financial benefit to us.

Did Ian Gay have his one-to-one with Brian like he alluded to last week?  Only for Dave P to call him out that it wasn’t that, but just that Tins was speaking to Senior Reds! ???

Anything else you can tell us “young-uns”?

Edited by Davefevs
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, glynriley said:

Why "Doh?"

Is it over this "Bristol City did include a Premier League survival clause in Antoine Semenyo's deal with Bournemouth but may not qualify for it over his lack of game time, Bristol Live understands." That's it on this btw, no further detail, no evidence, nothing to suggest the Post "understand" much at all.

Regardless, assuming this was the best position we could negotiate then that's no mistake on our part. It's pretty reasonable for Bournemouth to limit their risk by having a caveat on an extra payment. Earn-outs, deferred payments, bonuses, they're almost always conditional. Who knows what we gained in return for giving them that power to control their exposure to an add-on. Maybe we got an extra £500k up front. General rule is certain cash now is better than possible cash in the future.

Apologies @glynriley. This reads aggressively. You're just repeating the Post. It's the Post's article that's crap, not your post. I'm not meaning to piss you off.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Did Ian Gay have his one-to-one with Brian like he alluded to last week?  Only for Dave P to call him out that it wasn’t that, but just that Tins was speaking to Senior Reds! ???

Anything else you can tell us “young-uns”?

Well Ian did get in the first round of questions ?, I thought Tins dealt with them very diplomatically, answered in full and gave nothing away ?

Tins hinted that if Alex goes it will be for  more than the sum presently being talked about. But who knows ?

Said 3 or 4 likely to be incoming, young pacy talent from the lower leagues will be the targets. Not looking at any older experienced targets.

Unlikely to add another GK.

And didn't not make any comments about players leaving, apart from Alex, (for big money it seems.)

Also confirmed plenty of promising talent coming up through the academy, several of whom are already training with the first team.

Said NP very keen on giving academy players every chance of breaking into the first team if they are good enough. Not keen on loans as it's merely developing players for other clubs to profit from, as Chelsea did with Tammy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

6 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Well Ian did get in the first round of questions ?, I thought Tins dealt with them very diplomatically, answered in full and gave nothing away ?

Tins hinted that if Alex goes it will be for  more than the sum presently being talked about. But who knows ?

Said 3 or 4 likely to be incoming, young pacy talent from the lower leagues will be the targets. Not looking at any older experienced targets.

And didn't not make any comments about players leaving, apart from Alex, (for big money it seems.)

Also confirmed plenty of promising talent coming up through the academy, several of whom are already training with the first team.

Said NP very keen on giving academy players every chance of breaking into the first team if they are good enough. Not keen on loans as it's merely developing players for other clubs to profit from, as Chelsea did with Tammy.

Thanks for that, was going to ask how it went.

As you say, sounds like Tins didn't give much away.

Still think 3 or 4 in sounds light, unless we make use of the loan system (which sounds unlikely). 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Still think 3 or 4 in sounds light

I'm thinking the same. 
With Scott going, highly likely we will lose Kalas. King having a more limited role it does seem short, even allowing for Pearson's preference for a smaller squad. I was hoping the 3/4 targets were main targets, but there would be more.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

That’s a frightening proposition.

Unless bajic returns who we have no idea if he is any good yet, that’s leaves max (still not comfortable with him as number 1 if we are looking to make a challenge for the PO next season) and harvey (no experience at all)

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Unless bajic returns who we have no idea if he is any good yet, that’s leaves max (still not comfortable with him as number 1 if we are looking to make a challenge for the PO next season) and harvey (no experience at all)

Perhaps I should have added "unless the need arises"

Tins gave the impression that adding another GK was not something they were looking at.

NP and the coaching staff know best, I guess ?

Edited by Frenchay Red
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

I’m really rather hoping the coaching staff know if he’s any good and possibly have an idea about Harvey. But I guess we will see. If Tinman is not being coy I guess they think one or both will be good enough next season to at least be considered competition. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Perhaps I should have added "unless the need arises"

Tins gave the impression that adding another GK was not something they were looking at.

NP and the coaching staff know best, I guess ?

A good bid for Max would make the need arise, I guess! Or an injury of course. Either way I guess we will see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Thanks for that, was going to ask how it went.

As you say, sounds like Tins didn't give much away.

Still think 3 or 4 in sounds light, unless we make use of the loan system (which sounds unlikely). 

I very much got the impression that Tins thought some more academy players might be being considered ready for the first team next season at some point. Which would obviously add to the ones that are likely to be brought in.

• Like 2

One other point is that he said we now have a firm wage structure which we will stick to and won't be changed and said that we already pay more than clubs such as Millwall, Luton, Coventry and PNE who are in and around the playoffs. There will be no wasteful spending sprees like we saw a few years ago by you know who.

He couldn't bring himself to mention Ashton's name ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

I very much got the impression that Tins thought some more academy players might be being considered ready for the first team next season at some point. Which would obviously add to the ones that are likely to be brought in.

Araoye (LCB)

Knight-Lebel (RCB) maybe one more season away, but you never know

Palmer-Houlden (CF)

Plus Morrison (Left Side anywhere it seems), Wood (LB/LCB), Thomas (CF) and Leeson (RB) have been on the bench, whilst Low (CB), Idehen (CB), Francois (CF) have made brief appearances.

I see Taylor-Clarke as part of the first team group now.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Araoye (LCB)

Knight-Lebel (RCB) maybe one more season away, but you never know

Palmer-Houlden (CF)

Plus Morrison (Left Side anywhere it seems), Wood (LB/LCB), Thomas (CF) and Leeson (RB) have been on the bench, whilst Low (CB), Idehen (CB), Francois (CF) have made brief appearances.

I see Taylor-Clarke as part of the first team group now.

You are way more knowledgeable than me regarding the academy players, but I do recognise that he mentioned several of the names you list. If we can continue to help youngsters to break into the first team in the way we have this season then the future looks promising. ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

You are way more knowledgeable than me regarding the academy players, but I do recognise that he mentioned several of the names you list. If we can continue to help youngsters to break into the first team in the way we have this season then the future looks promising. ?

This is a list of all academy players yet to appear in the first team (inc Pre-Season).

image.thumb.png.3b1a3ed9c363a03ec4db81fc91726044.png

…at least the ones I know of / have read about.

Callum Hewlett is I believe Matt’s son.

• Thanks 1
  • Robin 1