IGNORED

Rob Edwards - Watford

Silvio Dante

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Since the end of last season (30th June) / beginning of this (1st July onwards):

1. Morison gone
  2. Edwards gone (what did I say about the grass isn’t always greener, least of all at Watford)
  3. Corberan resigned /
  4. Schofield sacked
  5. Neil resigned
  6. Bowyer sacked
  7. Warne resigned
  8. O’Neil sacked /
  9. Holden (Caretaker) left

I think everyone including Edwards himself knew that this could happen. He could hardly turn it down though and he’s probably at least £1m better off now.  Will be interesting to see what job he gets next.  Assuming bigger than FGR, he’s had a very good result especially as he’d have had his best players sold if he’d stayed at FGR as well 

10 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I think everyone including Edwards himself knew that this could happen. He could hardly turn it down though and he’s probably at least £1m better off now.  Will be interesting to see what job he gets next.  Assuming bigger than FGR, he’s had a very good result especially as he’d have had his best players sold if he’d stayed at FGR as well 

I’m sure he did, just once in a while I’d like a manager to stay and see where he can take himself.

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m sure he did, just once in a while I’d like a manager to stay and see where he can take himself.

Easy to say that it will be a very rare occurrence due to the fickle nature of viewing managers in this country. If he stays and gets sacked at FGR then he will be viewed negatively. Overseas there isn’t a stigma around employing sacked managers like there is in this country.   

Last 3 managers averaged 13 games before being sacked, that's some ******* trigger finger :yes:

I was looking earlier. Inside the last 3 years, they've had something like 9 managers . 
In theory they could still be paying for all those, now that would be funny. I know it's very doubtful , giving that they are that keen on sackings I doubt they give very long contracts. Looks like Edwards signed a 2 year deal, even a 2 year deal would have 5 still on the wage bill .

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

It hasn't helped losing Cadden and Wilson and having Matt and Stevens out injured either.

Yep. He was always gonna lose Cadden, Wilson, Adams & Aitchison but I doubt Edwards would’ve replaced them with Armani Little, Oliver Casey, David Bloody Davis and Conor Frickin Wickham! 
Terrible recruitment 

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Easy to say that it will be a very rare occurrence due to the fickle nature of viewing managers in this country. If he stays and gets sacked at FGR then he will be viewed negatively. Overseas there isn’t a stigma around employing sacked managers like there is in this country.   

It is easy for me to say, I’m quite a principled bloke.  In my own career I’ve been principled about numerous things, and it’s stood me in good stead, and the right things have happened at the right times.

FGR is one of those clubs where they aren’t fickle with their managers.  He’s got a “village” promoted to Lg1.  It got Watford interested, why not show patience.  Why not wait for a better “outfit” than Watford to highlight your skills?  Because at Watford you’re gonna be sacked pretty soon.

He’s a sacked manager now….he wouldn’t be if he was still at FGR.  Know your market…if this country has a stigma re sacked managers, don’t get sacked! ?

He might get away with the “sacked tag” and bounce into another job quickly….but I reckon he’d be better placed for Rotherham, Huddersfield if he was non-sacked.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Hmmm 1

• Admin
4 hours ago, chucky said:

They are on their fifth manager in 12 months.  They get managers quicker than I can get my food vouchers.

IMG-20220926-WA0002.jpg

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Since the end of last season (30th June) / beginning of this (1st July onwards):

1. Morison gone
  2. Edwards gone (what did I say about the grass isn’t always greener, least of all at Watford)
  3. Corberan resigned /
  4. Schofield sacked
  5. Neil resigned
  6. Bowyer sacked
  7. Warne resigned
  8. O’Neil sacked /
  9. Holden (Caretaker) left

Which club is this? 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

It is easy for me to say, I’m quite a principled bloke.  In my own career I’ve been principled about numerous things, and it’s stood me in good stead, and the right things have happened at the right times.

FGR is one of those clubs where they aren’t fickle with their managers.  He’s got a “village” promoted to Lg1.  It got Watford interested, why not show patience.  Why not wait for a better “outfit” than Watford to highlight your skills?  Because at Watford you’re gonna be sacked pretty soon.

He’s a sacked manager now….he wouldn’t be if he was still at FGR.  Know your market…if this country has a stigma re sacked managers, don’t get sacked! ?

He might get away with the “sacked tag” and bounce into another job quickly….but I reckon he’d be better placed for Rotherham, Huddersfield if he was non-sacked.

Guessing you don’t work in such a volatile industry as football management.  Financially he is much better off now and will probably get a good job.  Fair play to him I say.  Managers should back themselves and I think that’s what he’s done. Same as Potter taking the Chelsea job which could go wrong. He’s backed himself to succeed.  Good mentality with a financial buffer if it doesn’t work. 

15 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Guessing you don’t work in such a volatile industry as football management.  Financially he is much better off now and will probably get a good job.  Fair play to him I say.  Managers should back themselves and I think that’s what he’s done. Same as Potter taking the Chelsea job which could go wrong. He’s backed himself to succeed.  Good mentality with a financial buffer if it doesn’t work. 

No I don’t.  But the thought processes can be the same.

My view is he’s backed (kidded?) himself to do a job he can’t do.  Watford is a near impossible job, even if you do ok, you get sacked.  It’s worth watching back the open training video he did at the time.  Lots of people saying how wonderful it was.  I cringed, he was out of his depth…not necessarily at the level (unproven though), but for dealing with a club like Watford and players like they have at Watford.  Some of the players reaction to him and not really listening to him in the drills was a worrying sign.

Without knowing his termination deal (or his financial motivation), it’s hard to know whether he will be better or off or not for the experience.  That payout might be very minimal if he wants to get straight back into work.

But, as per posts above, that’s just my view.  I have a similar view with young players who jump to a bigger club too soon.

• Hmmm 1

45 minutes ago, Rob k said:

And tbf agree that if you are leaving why go to bloody Watford? 

To be fair, he would have backed himself to do a decent job, and for him, Watford could have set him up for life.

Yes he would have been a cheaper appointment than previous ones they've made (or are still paying possibly/probably), but he would have been on a fairly decent wage, and if he wasn't, him and his agent both need their heads examining!! The compensation for being sacked will be a fair wedge in itself as well. 

From Watfords point of view, what the hell were they thinking!? Said it at the time, and I still say it now, this was just a mess from start to finish for them.

The chances of Edwards going in there commanding respect from players who have probably never even heard of him, let alone Forest Green, and suceeding were remote at best. To be fair he's done a decent job, and leaves them a place behind us, level on points, and have actually lost 2 games less than we have. Trouble is with the owners, is that they would have expected to be at the top, and clear by a point or two even at this stage. Even then, with their history it still might not have been enough to save him.

Edwards is made for life now, all thanks to a few months work.

If he wanted, he could walk into any League 2 club, most of League 1, and some in the Championship probably - Watford are still in a decent position. Yes that is partly down to the calibre of players they have there still, but he's still been there managing them.

Rovers supporters would crawl over broken glass to have him in charge (broken glass left by Sharton destroying something probably), but it may well (likely) be that part of the compensation from Watford will only be paid until he finds a new job. With that in mind, he could probably afford to be very picky with his next club. He will get a decent enough club I think, but he will have a lot of eyes on him. 

Here's an interesting question for people - if Pearson were to leave tomorrow, would you be happy to have Edwards replace him? 

Edited by Taz

Just now, Magicdaps said:

Watford manager has to be the best gig in football surely?  Minimum work in terms of length of contracted time served, followed by maximum payout.  

I'm sure others have made this point, but I didn't have the patience to read the entire thread. 

For an old timer like Rannieri (sic) or Hodgson yeah. 

The FGR chap was making a name for himself so the payoff whilst nice, prob doesn't compensate completely for the career setback. I'm certain he'll want to work again. He might need to go back down a league though.