IGNORED

£15.3 million

Jerseybean

Just now, Barrs Court Red said:

Unless I’ve missed it, he’s been extremely quiet so it does seem like things are moving behind the scenes. 

It’s well known that he’s looking for a buyer. The less amount of debt there is at the time of sale, I guess the more value he can sell it for? Don’t know? 

2 hours ago, Lewisdabaron said:

His naivety about running a football club has got the club into debt we’re in.

Any other club could have spent the same as he has done & i bet they would been in the prem for at least 1 season…  & had parachute payments.

He only has himself to blame for his debts. 

You just hit the nail on the head , although a lot still worship him like he’s a religion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I guess. Will be very interesting to find out what is actually up for grabs. 

The million dollar question.

It sure as hell won't be the old brownsite land that will be worth a fortune in new housing. Purchased for a 'new stadium'.

I still don't understand why so many people cannot separate the 'sport' from the 'real estate'

A loss on the sporting side will be dwarfed by profit on the housing / office side.

I'm sure some people still think he's building an indoor centre for Basketball only...........

• Like 3

13 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I've kept my shares as well.

But i'm pretty sure when Pula sports wrote to all the shareholders a while ago; it was with a one off offer of £10 per share on some sort of compulsory purchase order thing?

I'll have to dig out the paperwork, but if we didn't sell, the club would still consider the shares worthless; and donate £10 to a charity, or the academy (or something like that).

So I'm not sure technically our shares are actually worth anything anymore.

Still the certificate looks nice in a frame of course.

Their people told me it was not a forced sale/purchase, if that is not true I’ll be surprised. 

21 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

SL has, yet again, put his hand in his pocket and purchased £15.3 m worth of shares…..https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-owner-steve-lansdown-7158256

and we go round again.

Sl is bailing out the losses he has created entirely by himself over a significant period of time.

He has been at the helm solely, Having squeezed out all other shareholders and effectively removed a functioning board,  so it's his decision making that has taken us into debt (Covid circumstance withstanding)

Whilst it's great (?) to have what appears to be a benevolant owner, lets not  all tug our forelocks at this largesse too much :)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I always said that if I won the lotto or euromillions I would think about investing in the club.

I won on Wednesday, but my wife assures me that she knows exactly how to spend that £30. :(

I`ve often thought that investing your winnings in BCFC would be far too stressful a thing to so I would buy the s*gs and thoroughly enjoy running them into the ground. Pay £2m for some awful players, anyone who shows a bit of promise gets shunted off to FGR on a free - the possibilities are endless and imagine the kudos of being the one person that put them out of business.

21 hours ago, petehinton said:

I’ve always found thanking him for this stuff odd. I’m not doubting how much money he’s put in, and how lucky we are to not have an owner like Morris. 

But…. is him clearing his own mess, no? He owns the club, he signs everything off, so this is surely is that should be expected. No one forced him to buy the club, this is part of the gig. It’s like he’s doing us a favour or something 

Agreed we are lucky SL not like Morris.

When you say “mess” do you mean ambition that didn’t play out as expected?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Antman said:

and we go round again.

Sl is bailing out the losses he has created entirely by himself over a significant period of time.

He has been at the helm solely, Having squeezed out all other shareholders and effectively removed a functioning board,  so it's his decision making that has taken us into debt (Covid circumstance withstanding)

Whilst it's great (?) to have what appears to be a benevolant owner, lets not  all tug our forelocks at this largesse too much :)

Yes there is something in what you say, however he is bank rolling his previous decisions unlike Mel Morris and many many others. 

46 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

Alternatively, giving a charlatan of a Chief Executive total freedom to spend as much as he fancied and massively increase the wage bill while leaving us with a bloated and unbalanced squad.

This from an owner who preaches sustainability and has always been in favour of a wage cap. So by his own standards it is rather a mess.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Harry said:

Preparing to sell? 

Or making to more attractive for other investors to join?

I cannot ever see the Lansdown's giving up entirely,  & I do not really grasp the finer details of finances and wheeler dealings.. If another 'Investor' is found and put in say £30M for example would that be above and not counted in FFP.

I for one am  enjoying the Transfer window activity and watching the playing side develop.

Try not to get too involved in  understanding the financial side of things..leave that to better qualified people.  All I want to know is hat we are not going to be docked points !

1 hour ago, DT The Optimist said:

I cannot ever see the Lansdown's giving up entirely,  & I do not really grasp the finer details of finances and wheeler dealings.. If another 'Investor' is found and put in say £30M for example would that be above and not counted in FFP.

Would count towards the overall number I believe, the overall pot...equity limits remain much the same, how could it be classed as revenue otherwise? Perhaps there is a way but unsure if it is compatible with FFP regs.

Put another way, if SL had put in say £10m in a 3 year period equity wise and £14m had been put in by a fresh investor yes it makes it up to £24m...but it doesn't extend a club's financial leeway, headroom afaik.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think it’s possible to have revenues of £35m (2019 levels) and compete on a cost base of £35m too (wages, amortisation and other costs). Other clubs in this division have budgets lower or around this figure.

Transfer fee and wage strategy dictates.

£14m amortisation peak is not sustainable, now being managed at half of that (£6-7m), and by 23/24 projection is less than £1m.  That will of course change if we extend the likes of Kalas and Massengo, but even then we are talking £3m max, £11m less than peak!!

So it’s doable.

This is fair, good point. Think it can be done but also think what with the Parachute issue which will hopefully be resolved sooner rather than later, the biggest budget within the rules/sustainability is needed to give us the best chance of competing.

Barnsley and Luton are two excellent examples- but one lost the talisman, manager and CEO the following season- and went down- the second? Time will tell.

I totally agree that the amortisation and wages got out of hand! Interesting to know what NP could have done with the budget that LJ was fortunate enough to be afforded- and indeed which players he would have got more out of.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beni71 said:

Agreed we are lucky SL not like Morris.

Yeah but if you read OTIB, with so many experts not even privy to a small part of the facts, would have made different decisions in hindsight and been in the prem making millions

Easy this football owning lark, cant understand why every clubs not in the prem

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chinapig said:

Alternatively, giving a charlatan of a Chief Executive total freedom to spend as much as he fancied and massively increase the wage bill while leaving us with a bloated and unbalanced squad.

This from an owner who preaches sustainability and has always been in favour of a wage cap. So by his own standards it is rather a mess.

Don’t disagree with any of that and the board never challenged or held Ashton to account and that has SLs finger prints all over it.

But my point is that you can’t question SLs ambition towards the club.

But it does make me roll my eyes when you see some fans question him given his level of investment/commitment to the club and city. Oh and yes he’s made some mistakes, it’s almost like he’s human……

• Like 1

On 02/06/2022 at 20:17, NcnsBcfc said:

I've kept my shares as well.

But i'm pretty sure when Pula sports wrote to all the shareholders a while ago; it was with a one off offer of £10 per share on some sort of compulsory purchase order thing?

I'll have to dig out the paperwork, but if we didn't sell, the club would still consider the shares worthless; and donate £10 to a charity, or the academy (or something like that).

So I'm not sure technically our shares are actually worth anything anymore.

Still the certificate looks nice in a frame of course.

They are effectively worthless - he owns 97% of the club - but I don't think you can "cancel" shares legitimately purchased.