IGNORED

Keith Stroud

GrahamC

Few people saying the standard of refereeing has fallen - do fans really think this? I think it's a complete myth.

In 25 years of watching football I've never thought "oooh, refereeing is particularly good at the moment".

In truth, the vast majority of referees get the vast majority of decisions right the vast majority of the time - despite the game now being harder to referee than at any point in history.

I say harder because the game is now quicker than ever before and referees now also have to make far more decisions during 90 minutes than ever before.

You can argue whether the above is positive or negative - and, indeed, whether the laws of the game have improved or otherwise - but I'm not having it that the actual refereeing has got worse.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Few people saying the standard of refereeing has fallen - do fans really think this? I think it's a complete myth.

In 25 years of watching football I've never thought "oooh, refereeing is particularly good at the moment".

In truth, the vast majority of referees get the vast majority of decisions right the vast majority of the time - despite the game now being harder to referee than at any point in history.

I say harder because the game is now quicker than ever before and referees now also have to make far more decisions during 90 minutes than ever before.

You can argue whether the above is positive or negative - and, indeed, whether the laws of the game have improved or otherwise - but I'm not having it that the actual refereeing has got worse.

Refereeing at all levels in England have plummeted, ours refs used to be looked up to all around the world, now they rarely get selected for top European games, this impacts the levels and performance throughout the pyramid

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pongo88 said:

There were more than 4 minutes added at the end, probably to allow for the kerfuffle by the corner of the South Stand and the Lansdown. What’s the relevance of blowing when City have possession? Is the ref supposed to wait until the opposition has possession and then blow for full time? 

Not criticising his whole performance, I thought he was fairly consistent throughout the match.

I did think he lost some control during injury time though. 4 minutes added on, and 3 bookings during that time. 

My point with the final whistle, is that I would argue that the phase of play had not ended. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Refereeing at all levels in England have plummeted, ours refs used to be looked up to all around the world, now they rarely get selected for top European games, this impacts the levels and performance throughout the pyramid

I watch an awful lot of football at all levels, and I can honestly say that the standard of refereeing at grassroots youth level is very good.  The best referee I’ve seen this season (reffing an Under 14 game) was 17.  What has changed is the level of abuse refs get from coaches and supporters/parents, which is completely unacceptable.  Refs can only give what they see, and they’re not helped by the frequent changes or ‘clarifications’ to the laws of the game which only make their jobs more difficult.

13 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Heart in mouth moment, that. 

On another day Tanner goes - we were right by it and by Tanner’s reaction he thought he was off, and by the way Keith Stroud brandished the Yellow card “with force” at Tanner, he was probably a whisker away from a three match ban.

I thought for the majority of the game Stroud was as good as we’ve had down here (hardly noticed him for much of the game) there were just one or two incidents where he could have done a little more to stop the Wigan time wasting.

Had we won - no one would have really been complaining - Pearson took a gamble on rotating the front three and because Wigan belied their current position played pretty well it didn’t quite come off.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

On another day Tanner goes - we were right by it and by Tanner’s reaction he thought he was off, and by the way Keith Stroud brandished the Yellow card “with force” at Tanner, he was probably a whisker away from a three match ban.

I thought for the majority of the game Stroud was as good as we’ve had down here (hardly noticed him for much of the game) there were just one or two incidents where he could have done a little more to stop the Wigan time wasting.

Had we won - no one would have really been complaining - Pearson took a gamble on rotating the front three and because Wigan belied their current position played pretty well it didn’t quite come off.

I’ve just d/l the clip and watched it back a few times.  McClean isn’t the innocent party in this either.  He’s gone in with more force than Tanner, almost on his knees with a sweeping action, launching in from further away.  He could’ve got a yellow too.

D66FDC2E-B31E-480B-B249-5C9C0CBE7FAC.thumb.jpeg.b394c4b90056b3216e9eabd42f6bb158.jpeg

31A6016A-4962-4B77-BFCA-3D9EC53BD3D6.jpeg

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Looked up to around the world? Really?

Only one European referee has taken charge of more Champions League games than Michael Oliver this season, who also had a World Cup quarter-final.

I just think the line you're pedalling is nonsense, sorry.

1 hour ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Not criticising his whole performance, I thought he was fairly consistent throughout the match.

I did think he lost some control during injury time though. 4 minutes added on, and 3 bookings during that time. 

My point with the final whistle, is that I would argue that the phase of play had not ended. 

Ok, that’s a valid point. I disagree but it’s all about opinions. The forum would be very dull if everyone agreed with each other. 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Why was McClean getting booed? Was it something about him refusing to wear a poppy on his shirt?

Could well be but he is one of those players that everyone loves to hate. He's a good player but a right pain in the ass who goes about deliberately trying to upset opposition players. Last night was no exception as he managed to get involved in spats with both Tanner and Sykes. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve just d/l the clip and watched it back a few times.  McClean isn’t the innocent party in this either.  He’s gone in with more force than Tanner, almost on his knees with a sweeping action, launching in from further away.  He could’ve got a yellow too.

D66FDC2E-B31E-480B-B249-5C9C0CBE7FAC.thumb.jpeg.b394c4b90056b3216e9eabd42f6bb158.jpeg

My first reaction last night is that McLean was the culprit rather than Tanner but he made a meal of the incident as his won't as a real wind up merchant. 

3 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Maybe.

Problem is no matter how dispassionate you try & be (& I’m far more so on here than at games) then the fact (not opinion) that we are being treated completely differently from other sides certainly colours our judgement, doesn’t it?

The penalty thread shows that.

For what it’s worth I think there are about half a dozen really poor refs & for reasons I don’t know, they seem to hang around at our level without ever being demoted/replaced.

So Eltringham, Linington, Doughty, Andy Davies, Whitestone, Webb, Robinson, all really poor.

11 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Could well be but he is one of those players that everyone loves to hate. He's a good player but a right pain in the ass who goes about deliberately trying to upset opposition players. Last night was no exception as he managed to get involved in spats with both Tanner and Sykes. 

Whatever your views on the poppy stuff (& mine is it’s a free country, he should be able to do what he likes) I think he gets booed because he’s an idiot who has anger issues & regularly behaves like a ****.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, pongo88 said:

You can’t blame Keith Stroud for only 4 minutes being added. The time is decided by the 4th official on the touch line. Imagine if Keith Stroud had ignored the 4th official and played a few minutes more and Wigan had scored the winner! Result - meltdown on the forum 

Pretty sure it's still the referee who tells the 4th official how much he's adding on and the 4th official just tells the rest of us.

3 hours ago, The Journalist said:

I would say that it does seem to have dropped, yes.  As you say, no-one was saying that refereeing was any good, but I think we're remarking upon how poor X referee was an awful lot more than we ever used to.  They're certainly being noticed for the wrong reason far more frequently than in times past, in my opinion.

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Maybe.

Problem is no matter how dispassionate you try & be (& I’m far more so on here than at games) then the fact (not opinion) that we are being treated completely differently from other sides certainly colours our judgement, doesn’t it?

The penalty thread shows that.

For what it’s worth I think there are about half a dozen really poor refs & for reasons I don’t know, they seem to hang around at our level without ever being demoted/replaced.

So Eltringham, Linington, Doughty, Andy Davies, Whitestone, Webb, Robinson, all really poor.

Is it a fact we're being treated differently to other sides? That would suggest there's a genuine conspiracy of some description behind it all and and I just don't buy that for a second - outside of the Bristol bubble we're a complete non-entity.

Unless a member of the board has slept with the wife of the chief of referees I'm just not seeing anything other than an amazing - but not unprecedented - statistical anomaly.

A friend has suggested that the majority Midlands and Northern-based refs do not enjoy travelling down to the West Country for games, so take against us.  The Devon clubs seem to make similar complains, although not so the diving fraternity of Horfield: but then perhaps that is easier access from the M32.

Going back to Stroud: he used to be dreadful, but he now seems to have improved. Experience has improved him, I guess.  I don't think there's anything that could improve James Linnington however, other than a Mafia contract. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

A friend has suggested that the majority Midlands and Northern-based refs do not enjoy travelling down to the West Country for games, so take against us.  The Devon clubs seem to make similar complains, although not so the diving fraternity of Horfield: but then perhaps that is easier access from the M32.

Going back to Stroud: he used to be dreadful, but he now seems to have improved. Experience has improved him, I guess.  I don't think there's anything that could improve James Linnington however, other than a Mafia contract. 

What's the difference for a Midlands / Northern based ref going down to

London

South Coast Teams

Welsh Teams?

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

What's the difference for a Midlands / Northern based ref going down to

London

South Coast Teams

Welsh Teams?

Not saying I agree with my mate, it's just his theory. 

London is very easy to get to from any part of the UK, it's the hub of all UK transport networks.

32 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Well they have to travel to where the work is I guess, Championship standard get Championship destinations ?

I don't think they do too bad, I've seen them jump into taxi's, assuming to get a train no doubt claimed on expenses. They also get food pre and post match, proper meals not team and biscuits or snacks provided by the club. 

They might have to make the trek to Bristol, but they probably experience a lot worse than our club!

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

Is it a fact we're being treated differently to other sides? That would suggest there's a genuine conspiracy of some description behind it all and and I just don't buy that for a second - outside of the Bristol bubble we're a complete non-entity.

Unless a member of the board has slept with the wife of the chief of referees I'm just not seeing anything other than an amazing - but not unprecedented - statistical anomaly.

I didn’t say there was a conspiracy, I said we were being treated differently.

I reckon we have had 7 decent penalty shouts this season, none awarded.

That’s being treated differently.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

7 is a bit toppy especially in the context of only 99 in the League last season and 65 to date but all competitions perhaps 4 or 5 including the one or two v Swansea in the Cup- there seems to be a higher bar for penalty given only 99 last sesson and 65 so far in this.

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It’s not being treated differently at all - it’s seven referees making seven isolated snap decisions, as they do dozens of times every game, all of which happen to have gone against us.

It’s only being treated differently if you think they’re linked.

8 hours ago, Southport Red said:

It’s just statistics. It’s weird, but this sort of thing happens. When the drought breaks, we’ll probably get penalties in successive games, or even two in the same game. Now, whether we will SCORE from them…

That’s nonsense.

This “blip” has been going on for nearly 5 years.

“It all evens itself out” is a myth.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Journalist said:

It’s not being treated differently at all - it’s seven referees making seven isolated snap decisions, as they do dozens of times every game, all of which happen to have gone against us.

It’s only being treated differently if you think they’re linked.

I've said it before,and I'll stick by my statement, I don't think referees are 100% sure of what is a penalty,that's why the club has got several apologies from the referees association that the ref has got it wrong,we got 2 apologies for Norwich away ,one penalty not given,one offside goal, that wasn't, 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

McClean is well known for being a nasty barsteward. I saw it as his legs and feet off the ground so it was his foul.

Stroud got it wrong IMO.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 2