IGNORED

Joe Williams

Lew-T

• Admin
1 minute ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

He looked fine in the video walking into the dressing room, probably just tired.

Thought he lacked quality on the ball in the first half but agree he was superb 2nd half-just what we needed 

There was a 5-10minute spell in the second half where he was making incredible tackles every single time.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

I think he was just spent. He won so much ball in the second half it was unreal. 

Two things particularly stuck out. Firstly, we had a corner I think about the hour mark. Their keeper claimed it and the Cardiff player made a run to the left hand side just over halfway. Quick kick out and real danger. Williams saw it from 20ish yards away, made the ground and won the header despite starting “wrong side” - was fantastic awareness.

The second was how many tackles he won despite being “wrong side” again - had to make ground and sliding in on one side is likely to be a foul. Went the longer way round, wrapped his leg around, won the ball. Great technique.

Can’t shoot for shit though

But he does like doing this after every Cardiff game…

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1

Did worry me after those spate of tackles. He seemed to go down for a little bit as if he over did it.

People Talk about needing a tough tackling midfielder. If you look at all the clips from his previous clubs, that’s the player he is but I think he’s holding back a bit due to all his injuries.

32 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Seemed to be walking off the pitch today with a frown on his face. Hopefully there isn’t an injury concern there?

He grew into the game today and won everything in that second half. 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

27 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

He looked fine in the video walking into the dressing room, probably just tired.

Thought he lacked quality on the ball in the first half but agree he was superb 2nd half-just what we needed 

A few of us all said the same…quiet first half, very tidy second.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Henry said:

Did worry me after those spate of tackles. He seemed to go down for a little bit as if he over did it.

People Talk about needing a tough tackling midfielder. If you look at all the clips from his previous clubs, that’s the player he is but I think he’s holding back a bit due to all his injuries.

When he went down for a bit in front of the Lansdown it seemed to be his shoulder that was causing him some discomfort.  Maybe just landed heavy....my hope is that @sinenomine was wrong when suggesting his shoulder is made of hamstrings!

Would be interesting to see the comparison between his two halves.  Seemed to be quiet first half, but maybe it just looked that way because of the second half where he was playing like a man possessed!

I admittedly wanted Scott alongside Massengo after Luton, but my my did Joe put in a shift. Went missing for the first 15 20 of the second half (or was it frst?)  then he put in a tackle from behind, scooping the leg round,  that literally had me celebrating it more than a goal. From then on him and Massengo were everywhere.

Great performance Joe ? 

Edited by Lordofthebling
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Not his best game but proper class act

Williams is a very influential presence when he plays. Unfortunately because of his long standing hamstring problems Nige has to be very cautious and why he manages one game a week.  He put in a top performance today.

Whether Williams hamstrings will ever become strong enough for him to play two games a week is uncertain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think he was just spent. He won so much ball in the second half it was unreal. 

Two things particularly stuck out. Firstly, we had a corner I think about the hour mark. Their keeper claimed it and the Cardiff player made a run to the left hand side just over halfway. Quick kick out and real danger. Williams saw it from 20ish yards away, made the ground and won the header despite starting “wrong side” - was fantastic awareness.

The second was how many tackles he won despite being “wrong side” again - had to make ground and sliding in on one side is likely to be a foul. Went the longer way round, wrapped his leg around, won the ball. Great technique.

Can’t shoot for shit though

But he does like doing this after every Cardiff game…

Agree with all of this.

Him and Han must be the worst ever central midfield pairing we have had for goals, HNM has never scored in circa 100 senior appearances, Williams has 2 in around 140.

Neither looks remotely likely to ever score, you can always tell the part timers, as they are the ones who shout “shoot” whenever either are near the penalty area.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Him and Han must be the worst ever central midfield pairing we have had for goals, HNM has never scored in circa 100 senior appearances, Williams has 2 in around 140.

Neither looks remotely likely to ever score, you can always tell the part timers, as they are the ones who shout “shoot” whenever either are near the penalty area.

That’s very true despite HNM getting into decent positions to shoot as he did today. As for Williams - he’s a defensive midfielder as Skuse and Pack were and neither of them scored many goals.

I think we’d all love it if HNM popped his goalscoring cherry especially at AG…….…….:yes:

Loved his performance today. He had an absolute stinker first half, constantly giving the ball away and generally just having a bit of an afternoon of it, but he came out after half-time (presumably having now put his boots on the right feet) and just fought his way out of it.

Looked a hard quicker, a yard more aggressive and did everything with greater purpose.

Hard not to really warm to that.

Edited by The Journalist
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Agree with all of this.

Cardiff 0, that'll do me and the 2 played their part in that.

Please sign HNM.

6 hours ago, beaverface said:

Did I see it correctly around the 70th minute mark when Williams walked off the pitch towards the dug out and i think NP shoved his back on the pitch with a massive push?

Yes you did see that correctly unless I imagined the same thing, he looked a bit dazed and like he was about to walk down the tunnel and Nige was having none of it but then subbed him about 5 mins later.

10 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Seemed to be walking off the pitch today with a frown on his face. Hopefully there isn’t an injury concern there?

He grew into the game today and won everything in that second half. 

He was absolutely buzzing in spoons on the waterfront last night, he’s very happy here 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Agree with all of this.

I shout "shoot!" at any of our team with the ball. I'm not a part-timer, it's meant more ironically. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Agree with all of this.

He's getting closer though. Had the ball in the net Saturday, plus he is shooting from distance now. It will come soon.