IGNORED

What defines a 'real fan'?

SecretSam

Because I share custody of my kids, I very rarely go to away games. I need at least every other weekend during the season for family time. Nothing about such a choice makes you disloyal. The 100% attender has circumstances that permit that. Most of us have reasons why we can't do that.

2 hours ago, hertsexile said:

I live in Harpenden and also didn’t go last night. 
However I am a season ticket ? holder and travel to most home games. 

Bonus points for you HE if you identify this reference:

image.jpeg.572c6c540911cf43c3f6aaaffcb2f0be.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SecretSam said:

I live in Aylesbury, a 20 mile drive from Wycombe. But last night, I decided not to go to the game. 

Now, I love City, and a local away game is truly a rare thing, but...I have two 17-year olds (Twins) and they are with me, and soon they will be hopefully heading out into the wild world. I see very little of them now, so evenings and particularly the evening meal are absolutely precious.

I chose the kids over City.

Does that make me the world's worst fan? I'm feeling so guilty (not least because we won) (and we wore our truly lovely away kit)

To be honest sir, I'd be more concerned if anyone put football ahead of 'real' life

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Do you know, I was really pondering when I read your initial post, thinking how strange it was that your son or your daughter were Liverpool fans.

Daughter in law lived near Liverpool when her Dad was stationed there 20 or so years ago.

She was the Tranmere manager's secretary at the  time Trundle was a player there and she is still in touch with Micky Mellon from those days.

Back then, a certain Steven Gerrard asked her out, but she declined as she wanted to wait until she met an airline pilot, to whom she's now married .:D

• Like 1

I consider myself a "real" Bristol City fan, ie I don’t go to away games (beyond Cardiff or Reading, or Plymouth or Brum) because I can't be bloody arsed. 

I don't go to home games much either, unless there's a "mates rate" cheapo ticket going. I used to go more regler when me uncle used to know Les Kew and we got "complimentary" tickets. 

And I don’t sport any colours (too enthusiastic/cringey) or sing, unless, literally, - as in, the literal dictionary definition - we are winning. If we score and go a goal in front, I like to be sat near the away end and gesticulate at the visitors with a vulgar hand signal. I love doing that.

If we're not winning, and I haven't left early, I like to let the manager and/or the overpaid prima donners not-fit-to-wear-the-shirt know that they are not fit to wear the shirt, and that they can get to ****, as well as that they are stealing a living. I like to be a bit nearer the tunnel when this happens.

I was at Newport '82.

6 hours ago, SecretSam said:

I live in Aylesbury, a 20 mile drive from Wycombe. But last night, I decided not to go to the game. 

Now, I love City, and a local away game is truly a rare thing, but...I have two 17-year olds (Twins) and they are with me, and soon they will be hopefully heading out into the wild world. I see very little of them now, so evenings and particularly the evening meal are absolutely precious.

I chose the kids over City.

Does that make me the world's worst fan? I'm feeling so guilty (not least because we won) (and we wore our truly lovely away kit)

I assure you mate that anyone who chooses City over their kids has their priorities completely wrong. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I’m in Maidenhead, with 3 young kids who would want to come with me if I came to a game.

Looking at around £120-£150 at least, which I just can’t afford right now.

I have a radio subscription and listen to every game, and could talk for hours about the club.

Hopefully, my finances and time commitments will improve and I’ll make it back more regularly, but at current prices it’s impossible.

Last time I went was when I won tickets through Sky VIP to the City v Derby game last year.

Maidenhead. Posh git. 

• Flames 1

For me, you have to support the local side to where you grow up. Anything else is grounds for 'Not Proper Fan'. So if you're from Bristol and support a United, Liverpool etc, you're not a proper fan. My wife and I may have to leave Bristol in the next few years for work, and if we have a family, the kids will be raised to support their local side. I'll give them a soft spot for City, but they should not be 'their team'.

You must on top of that, show an interest in the team. I listened to City on the radio for 6 months before my Dad finally took me, so I don't think attending a match is even a requirement, as I was a City fan before my first game.

It should be noted though, that some fans are more dedicated. Some sing more, some give up their time to create displays and fundraise, some put in a larger percentage of their disposable income (someone who scrimps and saves to buy our cheapest tickets is probably better than someone who comfortably can afford the Lansdown). 

However as we grow, we change. If you told me five years ago I'd have stopped going to matches, I'd never have believed you. We start families, work changes, life changes and so our commitment changes. However if you're from the West Country and love City, I think you're undoubtedly a fan.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mozo said:

My definition of a 'real fan' is someone that really cares about the club, in whatever way that might manifest itself.

But special kudos goes to fans that travel around the country to watch City away, or come from afar to watch us at home.

You don't need to attend games to be a 'real fan' though.

Sorry but have to disagree with the attending games bit 

no way would I call a some one from where I grew up ( Bridgwater) who wore a Man U or Liverpool shirt and never goes a real fan 

not in a million years 

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Because I share custody of my kids, I very rarely go to away games. I need at least every other weekend during the season for family time. Nothing about such a choice makes you disloyal. The 100% attender has circumstances that permit that. Most of us have reasons why we can't do that.

Bonus points for you HE if you identify this reference:

image.jpeg.572c6c540911cf43c3f6aaaffcb2f0be.jpeg

Haha!!! First thing that popped in my head was that mug ??

• Like 1

Simply put....family always first. City a close second.

Real fans enjoy and endure the good, bad and indifferent. It's the social glue that binds us all together. Friendships in the stands enhance the experience and sense of belonging in the BCFC experience.  Being a fan can be done in person, via TV, on Social Media or just in thought....football echoes many aspects of a religion.....and, like religion, you don't have to be in a particular venue to pay homage to a deity...religious or sporting. 

Enjoy a guilt free evening fellow Red! 

Edited by MelksRed

4 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Let's be honest, nobody who supports city can be classed as a glory hunter, put it that way ?

On a similar note albeit higher scale, it did make me laugh some years ago- talking mid 2000's.

A Rovers fan I knew had his glory team too- similar age to me 16 something like that...his glory team was- Newcastle, won nothing for a good 20 years before he was born! Nothing domestically ie one of the Cups, League for longer still...sleeping giant, comatose in the mid 2000's probably fanbase aside but.

Doesn't make you any less a fan than anyone else here. On the flip side having a season ticket and going to all away games doesn't mean you a are superior fan. 

We all support the same club, we all want the club to succeed. We all feel happy when we win, and pissed when we lose. 

I moved to Norwich in 2008, and still kept my season ticket. Didn't make all home games, but didn't feel that made me any less a fan.

Family comes first. If you feel that you don't want/can't go to a game, even if it is just down the road, then it doesn't make you a "bad fan".

The last game I actually went to, was before Covid (probably the Christmas before). It's not because I don't feel safe going back, simply because we now have a 21 month old, now live in Essex (London side) and only get down to see mum and dad every few months. If it ties in with a game, then I usually let my wife's cousin know, and he lends me one of his season cards. Does that make me a bad fan for not paying to get in? No, he has already paid for it, and besides, I will usually spend more on food and/or in the club shop.

There is no perfect supporter. You're a supporter - end of.

Peoples priorities change over time, reading many comments on here it seems like most follow the same path - it becomes a big part of your life in your teens and early 20’s and then your priorities change family etc, and you go back when the kids get older.

I fear football is going to become more selective for many as we enter the end of this year and next year, as cost of living really bites for most of us. The option of paying £30 odd quid for an away ticket plus travel and general expense will put many off, the same for home games for those without a season ticket. As others have said, I’m city because I’m from Bristol and not many glory years have happened in my 42 years of life. There are easier options than supporting city

For me - the definition is a simple one. Do you care enough to talk about who your support, to check on results and feel happy or annoyed dependent on the result. 

Living where I do, it can feel a real effort to make games, but with both myself and my 2 children having season tickets - we do try to do almost all of them, and have some great family time too. At various times, that will include my wife, who cared little for football until she met me, and actually stated after the Cardiff game, "I quite enjoyed that!". This was the same lady, I hasten to add, that said after Sunderland scored the 3rd goal in that infamous 3-3 game around 4 seasons ago, "Wouldn't it be funny if they get a 4th.." That was a quiet car journey home to Berkshire!

What I love more than anything is joining conversations with other friends at work, or at social times, where I proudly say who I support. Due to this, over the last 8 seasons, I've managed to persuade close to 20 friends to visit Ashton Gate, and almost all being impressed with what we have. The stadium.... the football at times has been woeful.

My son plays locally in a football team at Under 9's level, and amongst the various Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City kits on display at training, he always turns up wearing his various City Kits. And is proud as punch to do so.

This weekend, as a family, we've ventured North to have a few days away in Blackpool, so my son and I will go to the game tomorrow, whilst my wife and daughter head off for afternoon tea. We frequently do this for at least 2-3 away games in a season.

I'm lucky that I can combine following City, with family life, and as a father who lives 100+ miles from Bristol, to ensure my son supports BCFC will go down as one of my best parental achievements. Others may suggest it's the worst thing you could do!

So in summary, what is a 'Real Fan' - someone who cares about the club. They don't need to travel, they don't need to go to games - but if makes you happy, then do so, but we're all equals. Do however be proud of the club you support and do so - be it the good or bad times. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 4
  • Robin 4

20 minutes ago, daored said:

Peoples priorities change over time, reading many comments on here it seems like most follow the same path - it becomes a big part of your life in your teens and early 20’s and then your priorities change family etc, and you go back when the kids get older.

I fear football is going to become more selective for many as we enter the end of this year and next year, as cost of living really bites for most of us. The option of paying £30 odd quid for an away ticket plus travel and general expense will put many off, the same for home games for those without a season ticket. As others have said, I’m city because I’m from Bristol and not many glory years have happened in my 42 years of life. There are easier options than supporting city

As JFK famously said " we choose to go to the moon not because it is easy, but because it is hard"

• Like 1