IGNORED

What defines a 'real fan'?

SecretSam

I live in Aylesbury, a 20 mile drive from Wycombe. But last night, I decided not to go to the game. 

Now, I love City, and a local away game is truly a rare thing, but...I have two 17-year olds (Twins) and they are with me, and soon they will be hopefully heading out into the wild world. I see very little of them now, so evenings and particularly the evening meal are absolutely precious.

I chose the kids over City.

Does that make me the world's worst fan? I'm feeling so guilty (not least because we won) (and we wore our truly lovely away kit)

• Like 5
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 3

That’s life, everyone has their moments of going every week, loads of away games then things happen in life, marriage, work, kids and you’re barely going anymore.

Then kids grow up, the other half wants you out the house, you’ve cut down on your work hours and you’re back in play.

Enjoy your kids while you can, Bristol City will always be there, they’re like the family you can never get rid of.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You are in here. You are aware of where we were playing last night. Probably kept track of the score. You are a fan. Just because you might have other things to do on a match day does not make you less of one. Does not matter where you live, where you were raised or what you have going on. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

That’s life, everyone has their moments of going every week, loads of away games then things happen in life, marriage, work, kids and you’re barely going anymore.

Then kids grow up, the other half wants you out the house, you’ve cut down on your work hours and you’re back in play.

Enjoy your kids while you can, Bristol City will always be there, they’re like the family you can never get rid of.

Could not all gone to the game as a family? 

• Like 1

My definition of a 'real fan' is someone that really cares about the club, in whatever way that might manifest itself.

But special kudos goes to fans that travel around the country to watch City away, or come from afar to watch us at home.

You don't need to attend games to be a 'real fan' though.

• Like 8
  • Robin 3

The answer is that there isn’t an answer.

I sit in the Dolman. I don’t sing. I sometimes (shockingly) leave slightly before the end as I have two kids with me and other commitments. To some, that makes me the devil incarnate. But I can equally say the club get north of a grand from me each season between tickets, merchandise and beer. Am I less of a fan than someone who sits in S82 and sings all game? No. Are they less of a fan than me? No. Are either of us more of a fan than the guy who would love to go but has financial problems or other commitments? No.

I said there wasn’t an answer. But there is. If you care, you’re a real fan. If you have an opinion without any evidence on Kane Wilson’s left foot, you’re a real fan. If, whether you’re at Ashton or not, at 3pm on Saturday and before you get butterflies, you’re a real fan. We’re disparate, different, and support the club in different ways but we’re all fans and the club would be less without us.

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

41 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I live in Aylesbury, a 20 mile drive from Wycombe. But last night, I decided not to go to the game. 

Now, I love City, and a local away game is truly a rare thing, but...I have two 17-year olds (Twins) and they are with me, and soon they will be hopefully heading out into the wild world. I see very little of them now, so evenings and particularly the evening meal are absolutely precious.

Does that make me the world's worst fan? I'm feeling so guilty (not least because we won) (and we wore our truly lovely away kit)

I live in Tring and I didn't go either.

But that's because I had no-one to go with! ?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

Nope. you're a fan for as long as you have City in your heart. You don't have to go to games, you don't have to sing & you certainly don't have to abuse opposition players/wave a flag/light pyro/flash your phone torch around etc etc 

If you have City in your heart that's what defines a real fan. 

• Like 2

I live in Lincolnshire - about 4hours away from AG.

This week, as for other weeks over the last 7 years, I've been with my grandchildren who live in Wiltshire, so on Sunday for the Cardiff game I was only 1 hour away!.

However, because they are so far away and because we see them so infrequently my priority is spending time with them. 

I've been to away games but haven't been to AG since before the redevelopment.

The good news is that my 6 year-old grandson is now really into football and my daughter in law says she's sure he would love to go to a City game with me, which we will organise later this season.

Whether he becomes a young red might be tough as his Mum and late father are/were staunch Liverpool fans!

• Like 1
  • Robin 2

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

Should of taken them to the game! Supporting City isn't a choice, it's handed down (who'd openly choose this rollercoaster of a football team).

There's no real definition and it's silly to try and put people down for not being able to go to the game as often as others.

There will always be somebody who claims to be more dedicated than others.

"Got a season ticket? Good for you, but do you go to away games? Oh you do, well I bet you didn't make any pre-season friendlies! You went to some ok ok, but I have a City tattoo!"

• Haha 2

Life is just a series of priority calls or compromises. Could you have taken them and enjoyed the game together - I don't know, if you couldn't I think you made a good choice.

Just because you have prioritised your family over your football club doesn't make you a bad fan - it makes you sensible.

• Admin

Is it the person that goes to every game?

Is it the person who only goes occasionally but travels a long way to go to the game?

Is it the person who struggles financially, but spends their last money on going to one or two games a season?

Is it the person who doesn't go to any games but watches every game online?

It's a question that has been asked and debated by people for years.

Imo...there is a difference between a Fan ( Fanatic ), a Supporter and a follower.

As an example...you could have a person that dedicates time following the club, keeping up to date with every aspect, the history, the players, the staff, finance, tactics, the whole club etc, etc.. knowledgeable...but may not be able to get to many games, be a season ticket holder, follow away etc.

Compare that to a person that pays their money, goes home and away, sings, chants a lot....has an opinion...but knows diddly squat about the club, players, staff, tactics...but gives an opinion anyway.

Everyone has their own reasons to follow a club and has their own way of supporting them.

No one should be really judged. 

Each have their positives.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TomF said:

That’s life and really at times your family is far more important. Just as much as rivals are rivals at football but when we see players and fans of Rovers with serious issues/illnesses we drop the guard. 

I had a season ticket for getting on for 25 years and did anything up to 15+ away days a season with the wife. When we had our first child that all stopped and only now with the first approaching 8 can we consider home games again.  Financially that is only just becoming a reality with the wife going back to work. 

Does it make me, your or anyone else less of a fan.. absolutely not. I’m sure if it were possible for us to all go to every home and away game we all would but simply put life doesn’t allow for it for many of us.  We all still live and breathe City.. 

Great post.

You see those pathetic “name of club”, “wife”, “kids” flags & I just think what sad acts you really are.

I went home & away for years, but if you have anything about you, other things become far more important than an away game up North on a Wednesday, you can check the result & even follow the game, without always being there.

I’m lucky enough both to be able to afford a ST & live in BS3 so I also don’t have the fortnightly fight with Bristol’s shocking transport system.

That doesn’t make me a bigger fan than someone who can only afford to watch 2 games a season or who has watched us for even longer (50 years) than I have but can’t face the park & ride on a night.

Don’t get me started on second teams or the Premier League, though..

• Like 8

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

I live in Lincolnshire - about 4hours away from AG.

This week, as for other weeks over the last 7 years, I've been with my grandchildren who live in Wiltshire, so on Sunday for the Cardiff game I was only 1 hour away!.

However, because they are so far away and because we see them so infrequently my priority is spending time with them. 

I've been to away games but haven't been to AG since before the redevelopment.

The good news is that my 6 year-old grandson is now really into football and my daughter in law says she's sure he would love to go to a City game with me, which we will organise later this season.

Whether he becomes a young red might be tough as his Mum and late father are/were staunch Liverpool fans!

That should read " her late father" - I'm pleased to say his Dad ( my son) is alive and well and has been to City games with me, albeit a long time ago, as football is not his thing 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

That should read " her late father" - I'm pleased to say his Dad ( my son) is alive and well and has been to City games with me, albeit a long time ago, as football is not his thing 

Do you know, I was really pondering when I read your initial post, thinking how strange it was that your son or your daughter were Liverpool fans.

• Admin
24 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Great post.

You see those pathetic “name of club”, “wife”, “kids” flags & I just think what sad acts you really are.

I went home & away for years, but if you have anything about you, other things become far more important than an away game up North on a Wednesday, you can check the result & even follow the game, without always being there.

I’m lucky enough both to be able to afford a ST & live in BS3 so I also don’t have the fortnightly fight with Bristol’s shocking transport system.

That doesn’t make me a bigger fan than someone who can only afford to watch 2 games a season or who has watched us for even longer (50 years) than I have but can’t face the park & ride on a night.

Don’t get me started on second teams or the Premier League, though..

This is absolutely spot on as I see things

Had a season where I only missed one game all season, to this season where I have not got a season ticket for the first time on over 20 years

Things change and we are all at different stages

• Like 3

My view these days is “does it matter”? 

If someone gets value from going to every game possible, and living and breathing their club, then good luck to them.  

On the other end of the spectrum, those that keeps up with results and class themselves a City fan are alright with me. 

All City ‘ain’t we? 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 2

I’m in Maidenhead, with 3 young kids who would want to come with me if I came to a game.

Looking at around £120-£150 at least, which I just can’t afford right now.

I have a radio subscription and listen to every game, and could talk for hours about the club.

Hopefully, my finances and time commitments will improve and I’ll make it back more regularly, but at current prices it’s impossible.

Last time I went was when I won tickets through Sky VIP to the City v Derby game last year.

• Robin 1