IGNORED

What defines a 'real fan'?

SecretSam

On 25/08/2022 at 02:05, SecretSam said:

I live in Aylesbury, a 20 mile drive from Wycombe. But last night, I decided not to go to the game. 

Now, I love City, and a local away game is truly a rare thing, but...I have two 17-year olds (Twins) and they are with me, and soon they will be hopefully heading out into the wild world. I see very little of them now, so evenings and particularly the evening meal are absolutely precious.

I chose the kids over City.

Does that make me the world's worst fan? I'm feeling so guilty (not least because we won) (and we wore our truly lovely away kit)

You are a bad person. Own it!

On 25/08/2022 at 08:05, SecretSam said:

I chose the kids over City.

Does that make me the world's worst fan? I'm feeling so guilty (not least because we won) (and we wore our truly lovely away kit)

NO! Circumstances occur in life that change priorities. Even though your family won your attention, presumably asap you checked the result. That shows you're a fan.

Fifty years ago I was one of a group of 14 who were always on the Open End at AG and went to most away games. Out of that group I think one still attends most home games.

I've now lived in P'boro' longer than I did in Bristol, but I'm still a City fan, just not a regular supporter.

Straying slightly from topic, was wondering who regularly travels the furthest to watch home games? I know there was someone who popped up from Cornwall and a few who come from London/Taunton etc but who goes to at least 50% of home games from furthest away.?

Only asking as guessing vast majority live within 5miles of AG and suggest their loyalty and bank balances would be tested if they had 100mile plus round trips to make to see home games.

Its not just about bank balances though, travel distances/age/priority list changes/health issues all come into play. 

So defining "real fan" is impossible really, as we are all different and have different circumstances which over the years themselves change.

33 minutes ago, gl2 said:

Straying slightly from topic, was wondering who regularly travels the furthest to watch home games? I know there was someone who popped up from Cornwall and a few who come from London/Taunton etc but who goes to at least 50% of home games from furthest away.?

Only asking as guessing vast majority live within 5miles of AG and suggest their loyalty and bank balances would be tested if they had 100mile plus round trips to make to see home games.

Its not just about bank balances though, travel distances/age/priority list changes/health issues all come into play. 

So defining "real fan" is impossible really, as we are all different and have different circumstances which over the years themselves change.

Back in GJ play off years I went to around 40 games in a season and only missed a couple of mid-week home games with a round trip of 350 miles.

Early 2000s I went to all but 2 home games over a 3 year period with the same round trip.

My 'favourite' trip was when I was at uni in Bournemouth and went to Carlisle for the 3-1 win with John Ruddy making his debut. Bournemouth to Carlisle was a hell of a trip...