IGNORED

Stoke sack O'Neill

CyderInACan

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

I did mention back in January that LJ wasn’t happy with some of the ‘influences’ within Sunderland. That they sacked him when comfortably in the playoff zone said a lot. Now Neil, who gained success, is clearly finding those ‘influences’ difficult to work under.

As I’d mentioned before, there are people making decisions at Sunderland who aren’t the so-called owner.  

That'll be the man who claims to have a controlling stake but only owns 41% of the shares with the rest held by the deeply unpopular Madrox group I take it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Put it this way Macca and LJ had no idea they were getting the boot, came as a complete surprise. (Source: Macca)

Yes indeed. He said exactly the same to someone I know at the club, it was completely out of the blue.

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

That'll be the man who claims to have a controlling stake but only owns 41% of the shares with the rest held by the deeply unpopular Madrox group I take it.

Correct. I was made aware of this ownership issue before it becoming public knowledge (which occurred after LJ left). I was informed that LJ was finding it increasingly frustrating and of course things came to a head with the Defoe debacle. 
Neil did well to get them up but obviously once the next window opened he’s clearly seen the same issues. 
Shame really. The invisible board interference could ruin what should be a prem club. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Correct. I was made aware of this ownership issue before it becoming public knowledge (which occurred after LJ left). I was informed that LJ was finding it increasingly frustrating and of course things came to a head with the Defoe debacle. 
Neil did well to get them up but obviously once the next window opened he’s clearly seen the same issues. 
Shame really. The invisible board interference could ruin what should be a prem club. 

How lucky we are that our managers have never had any interference from above.?

• Haha 6

35 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Believe it or not, it is the first day of filming today for a new season of Sunderland Till I Die

This news has obviously got out as Charlie "turn the music up" Methven is 6/4 favourite to be new manager with Skybet.

image.png.35c259766e7fb090dcfece66a8671d32.png

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I truly apologise for the extremely bad language in the following Tweet and invite the mods to delete it if they are concerned that it will cause offence - but it did make me laugh!

F9E3F618-7BD2-4851-8919-0AD58641E5DA.png

Best quote I saw on their forum was ‘it’s like you have just found out your lass has ran off with Peter Beardsley’.

• Haha 12

22 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

But they spend the money . Not like Derby . The Coates family pay the bills . For me , that is a. Big difference . 

That's absolutely true and of they course they are light years ahead of Mel Morris as he was towards the end, but FFP and finance aside, football wise they have become a bit sack happy in recent years.

Gary Bennett, Sunderland legend (& proper hard bastard defender in his day) apparently said on local radio last night that the signing the previous day of a Costa Rican international that Neil knew absolutely nothing about, was rumoured to be the final straw.

Kristjaan Speakman seems to be their Mark Ashton equivalent up there, & whilst location or salary could well have been a factor, this appears to be the background to the problems up there.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Gary Bennett, Sunderland legend (& proper hard bastard defender in his day) apparently said on local radio last night that the signing the previous day of a Costa Rican international that Neil knew absolutely nothing about, was rumoured to be the final straw.

Kristjaan Speakman seems to be their Mark Ashton equivalent up there, & whilst location or salary could well have been a factor, this appears to be the background to the problems up there.

Who in their right mind thinks this will work at any club longterm? If it's true I don't blame him for walking.

5 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Who in their right mind thinks this will work at any club longterm? If it's true I don't blame him for walking.

The higher you go though, how much say does a manager get over signings?

It's hard to find a happy medium between the manager/head coach running the show and getting the full say, and players picked and the guy in charge told to coach them, organise them etc.

Downside of giving the manager carte blanche is that he can spend his budget, or beyond- leave the club hamstrung or worse in breach of FFP on departure, or failing that just leave the budget blown when he quite or is sacked leaving the replacement with little room for change.

Which can leave the new boss inheriting lots of players who are underperforming, unhappy and ultimately not gelling or simply unwanted, don't fit the system whatever..

19 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Neil seemed very positive about the signing though?