IGNORED

Is Nige ok ?

slartibartfast

I think the voice might just be a result of a bit of shouting over the previous 90..

As for the “downbeat” bit I took it as a sign of his standards & although he won’t name anyone publicly, he clearly felt a few didn’t take their opportunity to impress last night.

So, even though we won, (4 in 5 now, plus a draw), he isn’t about to start waxing lyrical & I expect a few have been told they need to do a bit better.

His job at this moment in time is to manage the mentality of the squad. 

We are making progress, but he needs to make sure we are still aware of the areas in which we can improve. 

Mentality will play a big part this season, especially within a small squad. We've built up some momentum, and with that can come added pressure. 

Don't expect to see Nige smiling with delight at recent results, he will keep pushing for more from the squad. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

As for the “downbeat” bit I took it as a sign of his standards & although he won’t name anyone publicly, he clearly felt a few didn’t take their opportunity to impress last night.

And rightly so. We played okay, but it wasn't our best performance of the season.

Centre mid we struggled, partly due to Wycombe's style, but we didn't really put our foot on it and control it through the middle. Tanner, Kadji, Martin, HNM all weren't at the top of their games IMO. Wilson was poor first half, stepped up second half. 

Room for improvement, and we need to be setting the highest standards.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, ralphindevon said:

He’s always keen to show he’s not too distraught if we lose and not too excited if we win.

Quite. By his own admission he is a "grumpy git". 

It's an occupational hazard when you are in your late 50s. I know. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
  • Flames 2

17 minutes ago, Selred said:

And rightly so. We played okay, but it wasn't our best performance of the season.

Centre mid we struggled, partly due to Wycombe's style, but we didn't really put our foot on it and control it through the middle. Tanner, Kadji, Martin, HNM all weren't at the top of their games IMO. Wilson was poor first half, stepped up second half. 

He’s a realist, isn’t he?

He will also know it was Kadji’s debut, King is now in the useful back up category at best & HNM can be Hollywood or Kingswood, depending on the game.

Wilson & Tanner interest me, I doubt either will start on Saturday, but as others have pointed out, we will need everyone over the coming months.

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He’s a realist, isn’t he?

He will also know it was Kadji’s debut, King is now in the useful back up category at best & HNM can be Hollywood or Kingswood, depending on the game.

Wilson & Tanner interest me, I doubt either will start on Saturday, but as others have pointed out, we will need everyone over the coming months.

@GrahamC

Hollywood, Kingswood or Withywood?

Edited by cidered abroad

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

On all interviews yesterday he seemed very "husky" and a bit downbeat, even in the post match victory chat. Just hoping the dreaded Lurgi hasn't returned, he (and we) could do without that, just now !

I've thought the same for a while now.

41 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Quite. By his own admission he is a "grumpy git". 

It's an occupational hazard when you are in your late 50s. I know. 

But when you hit 60 you become irresistible to women, hit the peak of your physical prowess and take on Einstein-like mental agility. The world then becomes a much happier place.

know wish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Didn't think Martin looked that happy getting off the coach and to be honest hasn't looked the same this season maybe he's having sleepless nights with a newborn( I know that feeling right now) ?, Kadji you can expect a average game,HNM maybe doesn't like a game at Wycombe on a Wednesday night!! Tanners just getting back into it again needs to show something,But yes pearson expects 100% whether in regular or not it's about standards.

Edited by Street red

1 hour ago, SuperDziek said:

Who’s he playing for now? Been years since he left us

I assume you're thinking of Tom Heaton the goalkeeper as opposed to Paul Heaton being referred to above.

If so, the keeper has been at Man United since the start of last season. Has only made one appearance for them, which happened to be in the Champions League.

I’m not surprised he was a bit annoyed. Several players had a big chance to come in and prove them self against a league 1 side with 10 changes. 

Wells, Martin, Wilson, Massengo, King all failed to deliver when expected. Some will say Wilson scored and got an assist but he looked so poor most of the game - really short on confidence. Can’t attach any blame to Kadji on his debut. Tanner and Pring ok but hardly showed why they should step up at the moment. 

It took Scott and Conway to change it. 

29 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I’m not surprised he was a bit annoyed. Several players had a big chance to come in and prove them self against a league 1 side with 10 changes. 

Wells, Martin, Wilson, Massengo, King all failed to deliver when expected. Some will say Wilson scored and got an assist but he looked so poor most of the game - really short on confidence. Can’t attach any blame to Kadji on his debut. Tanner and Pring ok but hardly showed why they should step up at the moment. 

It took Scott and Conway to change it. 

Wilson definitely looked better in the second half, harsh to say looked poor more of the game. Same as Pring, thought defensively was pretty solid and then was a key attacking output in the second half.

18 minutes ago, Selred said:

Wilson definitely looked better in the second half, harsh to say looked poor more of the game. Same as Pring, thought defensively was pretty solid and then was a key attacking output in the second half.

Wilson improved a little 2nd half but overall struggled. Really thought he’d give something for NP for to think about on selection but can’t see it yet. Hopefully will improve when he gets another chance. 

6 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

On all interviews yesterday he seemed very "husky" and a bit downbeat, even in the post match victory chat. Just hoping the dreaded Lurgi hasn't returned, he (and we) could do without that, just now !

Long covid19 probably. 

• Robin 1

I just think he's really trying to drive home that mentality of judging performances over results.

Whether that's us or the officials, he's almost made a point of being contrary post-match and not saying the obvious thing (ie we won so we played well, we lost so we played badly, the referee was shit but we won so it's fine).

• Like 2

I like Pearson’s approach.

If we are going to achieve anything we need to be putting teams like Wycombe (no disrespect they’ve done brilliantly on meagre resources) to the sword. In the past, we haven’t.

We won. Great.

Performances matter though, individually, as playing units and a team. By the sound of it several fell short yesterday. Unacceptable. Pearson called it out. Fine by me…we’ve been too soft for years. Get the right mentality in the squad and you go a long way to creating a successful, continually-improving team.

We’ve heard a lot about the Club’s motivational slogans/strap-lines … we now appear to have a manager that demands the players adhere to the mission, rather than just pay lip-service to it. Bravo.

• Like 8