IGNORED

Nige pre-Huddersfield interview

Daniro

8 hours ago, Packman said:

Bakes would be sent off most weeks as the games gone soft? He was literally playing 9 months ago, has it changed that much in 9 months? 

I remember football 9 months ago, jumpers for goalposts, rattles spinning in the crowd, 2 bob to get in, boys used to sneak in under the turnstile, muddy pitches, players could enjoy a pipe at half time, the games gone now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

What a horrible thing to say.

I doubt very much he envisaged having to stop his chosen career at 31, with the prospect of neurological testing for maybe the rest of his entire life.

Everyone else on this thread has acknowledged his efforts & at times reckless bravery, but you have to have a dig at a bloke who has just had to retire.

Really well done.

Chill out, it was a joke in response to another post about compensation, no malice intended or a dig at the player, just because I didnt reiterate what others have said doesn’t mean I don’t agree that it’s a bad situation for the player or don’t have respect for what he did for the club, I am human and i do have compassion believe it or not

Edited by Tinmans Love Child

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

What a horrible thing to say.

I doubt very much he envisaged having to stop his chosen career at 31, with the prospect of neurological testing for maybe the rest of his entire life.

Everyone else on this thread has acknowledged his efforts & at times reckless bravery, but you have to have a dig at a bloke who has just had to retire.

Really well done.

Well said and in view of recent medical research, there's always the possibility of dementia later on. A good servant to the club and I hope he gets the financial assistance he deserves.

12 hours ago, spudski said:

Have you watched the videos showing ' the best of Bakes' doing the rounds?

I loved the way he played... however...sliding, taking ball and player...you may as well retire these days.

Loved watching him. But yes...the game has gone soft.

No one wants head injuries...and this will be controversial...however football involves heading footballs and head collisions. And sadly Bakes has had to retire due to concussions. Numerous collisions. 

Certain people...who I don't know...but they get media attention want to stop heading in football.

Yet...Millions of pounds are spent following boxing and other contact sports, where the aim is to hit the other person as hard as possible in the head, numerous times and knock them out ????

Wtf...the world is so hypocritical...it's nuts. ?

Come on. I doubt there’s anybody out there who supports boxing but wants to prevent heading in football. There’s been a campaign against boxing for a long time. The risks in rugby and football have been recognised more recently.

Fans don’t want these sports to change radically, but the conundrum is that we - well most of us- now realise that the players are sometimes suffering life shortening cumulative injuries. It’s not an easy subject.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Come on. I doubt there’s anybody out there who supports boxing but wants to prevent heading in football. There’s been a campaign against boxing for a long time. The risks in rugby and football have been recognised more recently.

Fans don’t want these sports to change radically, but the conundrum is that we - well most of us- now realise that the players are sometimes suffering life shortening cumulative injuries. It’s not an easy subject.

There is risk in every sport. 

You choose as a person to participate or not. Knowing the risks.

Some sports more dangerous than other. 

Motor sports like Speedway and Motor X. Broken bones and head injuries common.

Cage fighting...Boxing.

Downhill Skiing.

You play any sport professionally, it will affect you in some way or other later in life, because of the wear and tear on joints and the body. It's repetitive.

You wear out over time.

The amount of footballers who have arthritic knees and damaged joints and suffer later in life is more common than not. 

You play knowing you will suffer later.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong...and we all feel for Bakes. 

However...you can go round in circles debating what to change or not. 

Who is this body of people that want to ban heading? Who are they? 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

6 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I remember football 9 months ago, jumpers for goalposts, rattles spinning in the crowd, 2 bob to get in, boys used to sneak in under the turnstile, muddy pitches, players could enjoy a pipe at half time, the games gone now

Far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Rush goalie. Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's gone home for his tea. Beans on toast? Possibly, don't quote me on that. Marvellous.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mozo said:

We can 100% take that figure with a pinch of salt. Naturally he had to inflate the asking price for the media.

I agree but I think it also shows a resolve that if no offers have come in since the window opened that only a ridiculous offer will tempt us now.

19 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I agree but I think it also shows a resolve that if no offers have come in since the window opened that only a ridiculous offer will tempt us now.

Yeah it's the right stance to take. I'll be surprised of we don't get any offers today but seems pretty quiet so far.