IGNORED

I like this squad….

Davefevs

I like the size of the squad, the fact that we don’t have anyone on loan, the mix of experience and undeniable very talented young players.

While I really want him to stay all season I do believe that we need to maximise Antoines value probably in January and hopefully after he has a decent showing in the World Cup.

I'm not sure I can add much to what's already been said. I'm liking the squad too, which seems very together, and if we can avoid serious injuries I am looking forward to a comfortable top half of the table finish. I suspect (hope) that we will avoid a points deduction but even if we a small deduction fully expect us to overcome it.

I expect more to come from the U21s. Towler and Idehen going out on loan could mean that Aroaye plays more for the U21s alongside Callum Wood and Joe Low, who looks the real deal and may get a 1st team start or two before the season finishes. Dylan Kadji has already appeared in the Carabao Cup and surely young Owers and, Tommy Backwell will get a look in somewhere, if only training with the 1st team. Exciting times ahead. 

8 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

An excellent and often overlooked point (Across all clubs) IMHO

Pearson has said since he came he wanted a smaller squad 

It comes with some risk , but has definite benefits

I do wonder how happy (a fair few of) Forests new  ‘squad’ will be in a few months 

Would love to know what Josh Bowler is thinking this morning. Big fish at Blackpool, signs for Forest and immediately loaned to 'big daddies' Olympiakos.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

….I’m more than content that today has been quiet (in and out).

We’ve stuck to the plan.  We’ve probably done enough cost cutting in the last 12 months (lots of tough decisions impacting the squad strength / depth) to just about give us the option to turn away any interest in our players.

Well done all.

We are so light at CB as we literally are picking 3 for 3 places with Kalas & Klose injured. Happy of course ti keep our key players but until we know what’s happening with Kalas  we could get caught out if injuries & suspensions hit & reluctance to trust Towler & Low it seems. 

5 hours ago, Malago said:

Before we get carried away with the self congratulation, may I remind everyone that last year we only took 3 points out 36 against the clubs who finished in the top 6, and have yet to play a team who are likely to finish in this year’s top 6.  

We will have a much better idea of the merits of this squad in a few weeks, when we play Norwich and Burnley away.

I think we already know the answer.

They’re better than us, have more money, stronger depth & of course parachute payments.

Anything we get from 2 of our hardest away games is a bonus, judging us by them is both harsh & pointless.

Pearson has basically had money for 1 significant signing, spent nothing at all this summer, slashed the wage bill & produced an exciting team to watch.

”But we lost 2-0 at Burnley”..

• Like 8
  • Flames 10

21 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

This is the biggest thing for me, it's not that we kept hold of everyone as such it's that we don't seem to have the disruption of players wanting out at the whiff of a big move. Rumoured interest in Antoine doesn't appear to have turned his head and I'm sure we've already heard Scott say he's happy to stay here and get regular football?

Whatever we're doing in the academy, we're doing it right. These kids have good heads and advice around them it seems. Now extend your contracts, have a good season and secure us a big deal next summer if that's what you wish to do.

I can't believe how much more enjoyable we are to watch. I'll take the frustrations of a last minute equaliser for the fact that 85 minutes on Saturday were the most fun I've had watching City in years.

I actually think a big part of this is an obvious change in culture at he club. If you have a CEO consistently delivering the message that all players are tradable, all players have a price, and all players will have their heads turned then it becomes self fulfilling.

Instead we now have the manager front and centre delivering a positive message about their talents and how determined we are to keep and develop them.

It won't stop our best talents leaving, but it must help them believe that staying is an appealing option!

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Would love to know what Josh Bowler is thinking this morning. Big fish at Blackpool, signs for Forest and immediately loaned to 'big daddies' Olympiakos.

Has that really happened? Wow. I thought he was a real threat against us Saturday, arguably their only serious one to be honest. Him and Thompson were MOM for me from them

1 minute ago, SE23Red said:

I actually think a big part of this is an obvious change in culture at he club. If you have a CEO consistently delivering the message that all players are tradable, all players have a price, and all players will have their heads turned then it becomes self fulfilling.

Instead we now have the manager front and centre delivering a positive message about their talents and how determined we are to keep and develop them.

It won't stop our best talents leaving, but it must help them believe that staying is an appealing option!

Also having a manager with a big reputation in the game. I know he's had failings, but his tenure at Leicester will be what most people know him for. He's the sort of manager I'd want to play for

• Like 1

Can’t argue the squad looks strong especially 1-15. I know NP has said about lack of depth but imo it is probably how most championship clubs should look. A strong XI with a few on the bench that could easily start. Then a few younger faces who can contribute in small spells as they get better. 

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

6 pts would have been at the worst end of the bad scenarios. Overspend worth say 4 pts - 1 back for cooperation but then a further 3 for not selling in January like Adams at Birmingham 4 seasons ago.

Worth remembering too that the way the Reading one broke down was 6 and then a suspended 6 so a worst case Reading type scenario would be 3 and then 3 suspended for x period of time subject to adherence to a business plan- something that we'd easily stick to if it came to it. There are two big * against my worst case scenario.

Otoh the suspended deduction if there was one would neither mitigate or substitute a punishment for a further overspend or breach in the period.

Interested in this, we'll be within limits by March or end of May 2023 at the latest?

I know it’s all guesswork but a points deduction of the likes of Brum and Reading were for vast overspends, Brum almost £10m and Reading £19m…we are significantly smaller (£2-4m).  They aren’t gonna throw an extra 3 points at us for not selling a player, when they’ve seen our other cost cutting, and taken account of covid too.

Personally if we were to get a 2 point deduction, I’d call it churlish.

But that’s just me. ?

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Transfer deadline day tends to skew people's perception of how their club had traded during the window as a whole, so it's worth reminding ourselves that we have continued the evolution of this squad overall.

Firstly we have removed a couple of seat blockers from coach one so to speak. Bakinson and Palmer have gone all together and Idehen has been relegated to another coach for now. (hopefully to return as a new man), and everyone's whipping boy of the last couple of seasons O'Dowda has also walked the plank.

We added competition in a key areas and a potential leader at the back. Naismith, Wilson and Sykes, and we have added what looks to be quality competition on paper in goal with Bajic. Of those Sykes was probably the one that arrived with the least fanfare, but has been the nicest surprise.

Retaining the services of our "stars" is the icing on the cake.

Perhaps the most important part of these dealings is getting them done early. We have a squad that is all pulling together and are finding their football fun and enjoyable and have spent months together already, some of the teams in this league will have to be introduced to each other on Saturday.

This is also a better environment to add in more of emerging youth talent too, and we have even more optimism on that front.

Off the pitch, Nigel seems to have created a coaching set up that suits him especially with the addition of Jason Euell.

I have faith, (because I have seen it happen before) that the togetherness of this group is worth more than some individuals borrowed from all and sundry, each with their own agenda. I also believe that the fans can see this, and that the backing from the terraces seems to have gone up a notch too.

All in all, I am very happy with this quiet revolution.

Great post…Nige made reference to both Luton and Huddersfield over the summer in terms of what can be achieved with a tigh-knit squad, togetherness, busting a gut for each other.  Early days, but I sense teams are seeing that coming to AG isn’t a pleasant away trip anymore.

3 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Agree about Rennie and would add as another important positive Pearson’s willingness not to overplay individuals with a history of chronic injury. His management of Williams is the obvious example and has been exemplary. That would not have happened under some previous regimes and it helps enormously with coping with a limited squad size.

We have seen that Nige will stick with players who are delivering, so that Wells, for example, who has finally been given the chance to start regularly, will know that he keeps the shirt as long as he performs well, but alongside that backing, Pearson also shows an eminently sensible approach to rotation in the case of players with a known vulnerability.

If I had to choose one word to sum up this manager’s way of doing things it would be “pragmatic “. It’s the mark of a man who is experienced and knows what he’s doing. It’s the first time in many years that I’ve felt we’ve had someone in charge with his kind of seniority and authority in whom I’ve felt confident.

is it just me that looks at some of the clips and thinks our players look more muscular.

I think I said to you the other night @Davefevs , might have been @Curr Avon.

I'm really trying not to get excited. Felt the same from pre-season. The impact of the new lads has been mixed, but I'm really optimistic. 

* Naismith has cost us goals, but he is exactly what we have missed for years. Nothing to do with ability, which is clear to see, but having a vocal CB to dig out mistakes but encourage and help with positioning is massive.
*Sykes has been a big surprise, probably most consistent player so far this year.
* Wilson until the injury looked very bright, will have to wait but handy back u to have.

Conway is like having a new signing. I always had high hopes , but I doubt anyone could predict the impact he's had so far.
Semenyo coming back (and staying for now) is big.
Wells link up has given Wells a new life and we now have a real threat up front. 

We have Klose and Kalas waiting , and if they can sort out their issues we have decent depth there.

There is a question at RWB with Pring. I'm a big fan but there is obviously something that Pearson isn't convinced about. That said, with Wilson and Tanner being able to cover it does make sense having them on the bench I guess.

Midfield looks much better too. Williams being able to play twice a week is big. HNM getting support and players being busy around him helps, his running looks part of a plan now and less headless chicken. Which I never thought was his fault, more to do with static players all around him. Scott, is , well Scott. With James and King we seem better placed to cope too.

We finally look able to control and take care of the ball better. Still a work in progress, but flare & work rate, control & threat really does make it feel different to what has gone on in the past 3 years or more.

It's taken a while, it was a big, big job. But we are starting to see what Nige is going for
We still give away too many chances, but hopefully that will get sorted a little. 

One thing I worry about, trying to win the ball infant of a forward. Now I see the benefit , and with the press and intensity we shoed early on fine. But at 1-0 and trying to control the game I'd be happier to see defenders jockey, or the phrase we used to use , get up his pipe. A couple of times later on Weds , Vyner tried to nick the ball and was turned and they had an attack. 
A small moan, but something that stood out to me.

I try to be balanced and not get carried away, but a couple of wins in the next 2 games and that will be harder.

54 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

We are so light at CB as we literally are picking 3 for 3 places with Kalas & Klose injured. Happy of course ti keep our key players but until we know what’s happening with Kalas  we could get caught out if injuries & suspensions hit & reluctance to trust Towler & Low it seems. 

You’re right, so I’m trying to see the logic behind letting Towler leave on loan based on all of this.

Pearson seemed very relaxed about Klose, so my assumption is that he’s not a big issue & might even be available for selection tomorrow. If he’s back soon (there’s a free week coming up) we are certainly far better off.

Kalas is a worry & the longer it goes on then the greater the fear this is really long term. I can only assume that is why we are taking a look at Bamba & with no pressure to make a quick decision on him I reckon we’ll keep him if we don’t think Kalas will be back any time soon.

Low is a strange one, we have both heard really good things about him this season but he doesn’t even have a squad number at present & as we didn’t fill the bench in either cup game, that suggests he isn’t being actively considered.

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You’re right, so I’m trying to see the logic behind letting Towler leave on loan based on all of this.

Pearson seemed very relaxed about Klose, so my assumption is that he’s not a big issue & might even be available for selection tomorrow. If he’s back soon (there’s a free week coming up) we are certainly far better off.

It maybe as simple that Nige doesn’t think that Towler is Championship ready yet and can only assume that as Tins would say Towler needs ‘miles on the clock’ and he’s not going to get regular competitive games at City - there is a January recall option in the deal.

Lets hope he develops massively at Wimbledon.

10 hours ago, billywedlock said:

I agree . Though @harry will want to insult the players and @Kid in the Riottalk to you about penalty decisions that the referees  apologise for are wrong . Common denominator? Oh they love Macca and Lee J and have lost objectivity . Sold down the river . But cannot accept they were conned . 

I keep seeing this….let me put the record straight. I sit with them both within a big group, yes they are both well informed and know what they are talking about when it comes to City’s inner workings, but to say they have lost objectivity is completely wrong. I myself disagreed with them about the penalty decision at Hull and there was a long chat about it in the stands, but they are entitled to an opinion, that doesn’t mean they hate NP because they liked Macca and LJ. 90% of things we all agree on, 10%  we don’t - that’s football. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Kalas is a worry & the longer it goes on then the greater the fear this is really long term. I can only assume that is why we are taking a look at Bamba & with no pressure to make a quick decision on him I reckon we’ll keep him if we don’t think Kalas will be back any time soon.

Low is a strange one, we have both heard really good things about him this season but he doesn’t even have a squad number at present & as we didn’t fill the bench in either cup game, that suggests he isn’t being actively considered.

Klose was doing a lot of running and stretching down the side of the Dolman before the players came out on Wednesday.  He can’t be far away from being back fit.

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

It is very small for the number of games we have had to cram into August but overall we have coped.

Dave Rennie is probably as important as anyone on the staff but when you consider that we went into our 9th game in the month last night effectively with just Kalas & Klose unavailable, he’s doing a really great job.

We probably will have a couple of occasions when we really are struggling to have a bench that covers all eventualities but most of us understand the FFP constraints that bluffer Ashton has left us under.

If we can get Kalas back over the next month, (I’m sure we’ll see Klose very soon) then we’ll be competitive in the top half, I think.

Looking ahead we've just got 4 games before a 2 week international break at the end of this month so no issue there.

Then a long run of 11 games between October 1st and November 12th. If we can keep the levels up through that period tge squad then gets a month off (except for Semenyo who will win the World Cup and be knackered).

Then it's back to the grind. I think our squad depth should be enough for now but by Spring 23 the cracks might appear.

If Semenyo leaves in January we'll probably bring in 2/3 and the squad will be fine.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

….I’m more than content that today has been quiet (in and out).

We’ve stuck to the plan.  We’ve probably done enough cost cutting in the last 12 months (lots of tough decisions impacting the squad strength / depth) to just about give us the option to turn away any interest in our players.

Well done all.

Agreed Dave, I really like this squad too.

In my opinion, we could do with an upgrade on Vyner (Kalas hopefully) and another quality LWB - probably a bit more naturally attacking than Dasilva. I appreciate that's harsh on Vyner given how he's playing, but just what I think. 

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I believe if we keep ourselves as injury free as possible this squad could compete for top 8 or playoffs. 

It's the most exciting forward line I can remember that's for sure. 

I like this squad, and I like our manager, however I don’t think we have enough to go up this year when compared to the likes of Burnley , Watford , Sheffield United, WBA and some others. 

Pearson tells it as it is, so I’m hanging on to his original “three year” comment and hope that with some backing in the summer we go up next season. As to this, I’m confident that we won’t go down so will just sit back and enjoy, which to be honest is a rare luxury with City.

5 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

I like this squad, and I like our manager, however I don’t think we have enough to go up this year when compared to the likes of Burnley , Watford , Sheffield United, WBA and some others. 

Pearson tells it as it is, so I’m hanging on to his original “three year” comment and hope that with some backing in the summer we go up next season. As to this, I’m confident that we won’t go down so will just sit back and enjoy, which to be honest is a rare luxury with City.

I think we've just got to give it our best shot this season and see what happens.

It's entirely feasible that in January we lose both Scott and Semenyo - January is always an awkward month to recruit, so we've got to make a real run of good form over the next few months and see what we can do..

29 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I keep seeing this….let me put the record straight. I sit with them both within a big group, yes they are both well informed and know what they are talking about when it comes to City’s inner workings, but to say they have lost objectivity is completely wrong. I myself disagreed with them about the penalty decision at Hull and there was a long chat about it in the stands, but they are entitled to an opinion, that doesn’t mean they hate NP because they liked Macca and LJ. 90% of things we all agree on, 10%  we don’t - that’s football. 

The past is the past, but I have seen a fair amount of re-writing of history recently on here when it comes to LJ and MA.

With the benefit of hindsight, you can take a step back and say "that was wrong" and "that worked".

The fact is, what, 9,10 of those players in the squad vs. Huddersfield were bought or were coming through/developed during the MA/LJ period.

Yes, I've been critical, MA and LJ/DH left us in a FFP mess, the recruitment process wasn't working, however, firstly you can't deny the impact of covid and secondly we were, during that period, one big player sale fee from being closer to, if not well in, the black, simplistically.

Secondly, yes, in the end, the football style became too pragmatic and tough to watch and Holden compounded that, but let's not forget that there were periods of good football, consistent top half challenges and some unforgettable away and home nights (Man Utd e.g). I've read various comments along the line of "years of awful football under LJ is finally over" etc etc - i'm not sure that's entirely fair. 

Thirdly and finally, let's not forget other ground work put in place, off the top of my head the training ground, the influence in facilities at the stadium and work in the academy etc - Alex Scott and Tommy Conway etc didn't come out of nowhere and that era of MA and LJ etc deserves some credit for some of these foundations too IMO.

Anyway, look, as I say past is the past, LJ and MA needed to go and were right to go in the end and we'll learn from their many mistakes - If you never wanted LJ from the start, well i'm sure you're opinion will never change, but to wipe out that whole period as a dark blot our our recent history best forgotten, is IMO unfair and incorrect.

• Like 7

It's fantastic that we have kept the squad together.

What boils my piss, is the talk of our best players leaving in the January window.

Imo...we have to keep them until the summer window...otherwise...what's the point?

It's a very open league this season. Even with a smallish squad, if we keep injury free, then there is no reason we couldn't scrape into the play offs...then anything could happen.

If luck shined on us...we get to keep this young squad developing.

Between now and January, it's going to be speculation after speculation about which clubs are waiting to pounce. What player needs that? 

January is a nightmare to sell and recruit properly. Players need time to gel into a teams methods.

Any good work done between no and January...could all be undone very quickly.

I'm really hoping the Club and players can find a way to give it a go this season as a whole. And if it doesn't work...sell if needs be in the summer.

Giving time to recruit properly. 

I know it's wishful thinking...but one can dream.

The transfer windows are a complete farce imo.

They want clubs to run properly in a calculated and sustainable manner...yet the powers that be make it almost impossible with windows.

52 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed Dave, I really like this squad too.

In my opinion, we could do with an upgrade on Vyner (Kalas hopefully) and another quality LWB - probably a bit more naturally attacking than Dasilva. I appreciate that's harsh on Vyner given how he's playing, but just what I think. 

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I believe if we keep ourselves as injury free as possible this squad could compete for top 8 or playoffs. 

It's the most exciting forward line I can remember that's for sure. 

He's improved his general play a lot but still got a bomb scare in him. The chance where Huddersfield hit the post came from a Vyner mistake.

33 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's fantastic that we have kept the squad together.

What boils my piss, is the talk of our best players leaving in the January window.

Imo...we have to keep them until the summer window...otherwise...what's the point?

It's a very open league this season. Even with a smallish squad, if we keep injury free, then there is no reason we couldn't scrape into the play offs...then anything could happen.

If luck shined on us...we get to keep this young squad developing.

Between now and January, it's going to be speculation after speculation about which clubs are waiting to pounce. What player needs that? 

January is a nightmare to sell and recruit properly. Players need time to gel into a teams methods.

Any good work done between no and January...could all be undone very quickly.

I'm really hoping the Club and players can find a way to give it a go this season as a whole. And if it doesn't work...sell if needs be in the summer.

Giving time to recruit properly. 

I know it's wishful thinking...but one can dream.

The transfer windows are a complete farce imo.

They want clubs to run properly in a calculated and sustainable manner...yet the powers that be make it almost impossible with windows.

You say that 'all good work between now and January would be undone' if we sell our assets then (Semenyo most likely), but by January we could be entrenched in mid table obscurity.

I think we should see how the next 4 games go before any talk of this being a playoff push because so far our fixtures have been pretty benign but we've got some tough teams to play now, three of them away from home. 

For Brereton Diaz and Semenyo I think it's just a matter of time before the right offers come in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

The past is the past, but I have seen a fair amount of re-writing of history recently on here when it comes to LJ and MA.

With the benefit of hindsight, you can take a step back and say "that was wrong" and "that worked".

The fact is, what, 9,10 of those players in the squad vs. Huddersfield were bought or were coming through/developed during the MA/LJ period.

Yes, I've been critical, MA and LJ/DH left us in a FFP mess, the recruitment process wasn't working, however, firstly you can't deny the impact of covid and secondly we were, during that period, one big player sale fee from being closer to, if not well in, the black, simplistically.

Secondly, yes, in the end, the football style became too pragmatic and tough to watch and Holden compounded that, but let's not forget that there were periods of good football, consistent top half challenges and some unforgettable away and home nights (Man Utd e.g). I've read various comments along the line of "years of awful football under LJ is finally over" etc etc - i'm not sure that's entirely fair. 

Thirdly and finally, let's not forget other ground work put in place, off the top of my head the training ground, the influence in facilities at the stadium and work in the academy etc - Alex Scott and Tommy Conway etc didn't come out of nowhere and that era of MA and LJ etc deserves some credit for some of these foundations too IMO.

Anyway, look, as I say past is the past, LJ and MA needed to go and were right to go in the end and we'll learn from their many mistakes - If you never wanted LJ from the start, well i'm sure you're opinion will never change, but to wipe out that whole period as a dark blot our our recent history best forgotten, is IMO unfair and incorrect.

Or , more simply put

The era of missed opportunity

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

You say that 'all good work between now and January would be undone' if we sell our assets then (Semenyo most likely), but by January we could be entrenched in mid table obscurity.

I think we should see how the next 4 games go before any talk of this being a playoff push because so far our fixtures have been pretty benign but we've got some tough teams to play now, three of them away from home. 

For Brereton Diaz and Semenyo I think it's just a matter of time before the right offers come in.

I said...'could'...not 'would' ???

I just get sick to death of watching our best players being sold on.

It does my head in.

It's all well and good selling...but you have to replace with players that will make you better. Then they have to develop and settle in...so another season gone. It's continual catch up. 

As a team in this league with no parachute payments, imo, the only way of being near promotion is if we develop and keep our assets together for a season minimum. What's the point otherwise.

We buy players, or develop through academy, and during that time we become an average team. As soon as we become good/better...we sell our best players. 

To continue selling we will never go up. No chance. 

It's just continual one step forward, 2 steps back. 

It's the hope that kills you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1