IGNORED

Something Brewing

BS3City

36 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Proud to have never had doubts. ? 

Can’t claim to never have had doubts, but this is the benefit of employing a proper manager with a proven record of success; it buys them time with the board and with the supporters. A rookie coach like Holden is never going to get the benefit of the doubt without a track record to fall back on; but Pearson still had the backing of most of us even when things were pretty crap last year because he had the pedigree to turn it around. We’re now being rewarded for that patience. Excited to see where it takes us.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Lots of little strands but brought together by a management group with a plan that everyone has bought into, lead by a proper manager who knows how to man manage and build a team.  Lots to like at present, some challenges coming up with out doubt, but you have always got to fancy this lot to score in every game right now

After years of bull**** ,  and sound bytes (All they were) about identity and more crucial to me , culture

Pearson has / is installing it

Ironically he doesn’t use those words or waffle

He just does it. and across the whole club

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Felt NP was a perfect appointment - it was always going to take a bit of time, given what work needed to be done - but for me, there were very few others with a track record he had that could come in for us.

It’s been a remarkable turn around, aided by the emergence of the best young talent we’ve produced.

Loving this season, well worth the patience last season.

My only niggly feeling, and I said this last year and feel it even more now - is that if he had just a little more to spend, 1 or 2 quality additions, wow, what a chance then.

And hand in hand with that is a feeling of wasting these immense talents coming through…

Maybe if we’re in a good place in Jan still we can ‘find’ some cash for exactly that and finally get over the line. 

Long way to go, but an exciting start.

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Absolutely. And I think it’s important that we remember things won’t always be as rosy as they are now. 

Yes. We’ll have dips in form, injuries, suspensions like all clubs. I’ll be more than happy though if we keep trying to play the way we are now.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Felt NP was a perfect appointment - it was always going to take a bit of time, given what work needed to be done - but for me, there were very few others with a track record he had that could come in for us.

It’s been a remarkable turn around, aided by the emergence of the best young talent we’ve produced.

Loving this season, well worth the patience last season.

My only niggly feeling, and I said this last year and feel it even more now - is that if he had just a little more to spend, 1 or 2 quality additions, wow, what a chance then.

And hand in hand with that is a feeling of wasting these immense talents coming through…

Maybe if we’re in a good place in Jan still we can ‘find’ some cash for exactly that and finally get over the line. 

Long way to go, but an exciting start.

I think because of our financial situation we are using what we have got to better effect and giving youngsters their chance along with keeping some wiser older heads. with good relationships between young & old  eg Nahki  & Tommy . Great to see the progress under Tinman and Pearson and credit to them and the players themselves.  Long may it continue.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Dropping Martin and playing front men who can press well has made a big difference in how we are playing.  I don’t think any fan would pick Martin now. 

Take your point and I wouldn’t disagree it’s a change but it’s just part (IMHO) of the evolution in setting , forming and tweaking a team 

Lots of other elements , the be accquisitions , individual improvement in a number of players and the nurture of and then well timed introduction of TC, just some

Martin has done us a bloody decent job when times were at their toughest, and still very much has a part to play (IMHO)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Can't pretend I've not doubted Pearson, especially with continued defensive fragilities and our ability to concede late goals with far to much regularity.

However, I also think I could see the bigger picture i.e. the club needed a massive reset, almost from top to bottom and that to do so we needed the right manager to know what he needed to do within the scheme of things 

I think it is highly likely that NP knew exactly what he was taking on but also that he would be given time to oversee the overhaul required, particularly as the early time involved the architect of many of our problems still being in situ 

Someone else earlier today described Pearson as being pragmatic, and that is the perfect description. He doesn't sugar coat things or give a bullshit gloss to problems. Neither does he indulge in over the top hyperbole after a good result/performance. I suspect he also works to avoid our younger players getting carried away at the moment.

I think the last couple of years have been taking a step backwards and it feels that we are now setting out on the two steps forward.

Fingers crossed this is the time when Sal's loyalty to manager's is properly rewarded.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BS3City said:

I've pinched the phrase from a fellow OTIBer, but I've got a real feeling something is starting to happen. Been a City fan for 46 years, so have seen plenty of false dawns (like we all have), but the current crop of focused, engaged, exciting youngsters, mixed with good experienced pros, serious interested coaches, a vastly improved fitness team, level-headed Richard Gould, and a massively experienced manager who everyone seems to trust genuinely gives me more optimism than I've had for years. 

Of course it could all change - it wouldn't be our Bristol City if there wasn't that risk - but I think there are so many reasons to be positive at the moment. 

So get yourself to the next game if you can. If you've got a mate who hasn't been for a while tell him to get down the ground too, cos we are good. I understand that times are hard, and the world is a tough place, but if you can go - go! 

Spread the word "something is brewing", and Ashton Gate is the place to be! 

I'm proud as **** to be a City fan, massively so at the moment, but even when we are crap!

COYR!!!!!! 

That's OK, BUT we're playing PNE !  :grr:

?

10 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I think it is highly likely that NP knew exactly what he was taking on but also that he would be given time to oversee the overhaul required, particularly as the early time involved the architect of many of our problems still being in situ

I can't point to the interview (it was within the last 6 months though), but NP he said the situation he inherited was worse than he had been sold. And remember it was The Lansdown's that were selling the club to him, and they had no real understanding about how bad they had let things get (SL "I tried to persuade him to stay", when talking about MA), so I'm not surprised by this.

In fact, I don't think there are very many posters on here had that much of an inkling that we were in such peril. I certainly didn't! And we've still got a possible FPP points deduction to come ...

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Thanks 1

Certain players too- giving big credit to NP here for this- who were seen as best out of the door have come back and contributed quite strongly this season in different ways.

6 months ago would we have been thinking Vyner, DaSilva and Wells would have been starting games.and playing well? Okay Vyner can still be prone to an error but Nige is getting the best out of them when set against Johnson or Holden.

Credit to those 3 as well of course, for knuckling down and playing their way back into favour, unlike say Bakinson.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We might all come down to earth with a bump soon, but I agree this feels a bit different to recent seasons and it's come from nowhere. After having gone out of loyalty for a while now, I felt inspired this week and decided last night to drive to Blackburn today; convincing my son and his mate that it would be worth thr 400 mile 'round trip.  Whilst it was sad to see a big ground looking tired and very empty, it was just great to be watching a mobile team, including ex Academy players dominating the opposition. I mean it could have been different, as they almost scored after 30 seconds, but we rode our luck early on and played very well, deserving the win.  It was a new ground for me and a great day out.  We look hungry and exciting going forwards and if we can stay injury free maybe having a small squad might not be such a bad thing. Every reason for optimism after a bad few years. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Redtucks said:

I wouldn't say it's all down to Big Nige.

Development of the youngsters over the past few years has been a big plus and much of that has been down to Tinman.

True - but to be fair to Nige, he could have held the Mourinho line and avoided the acid test of the youth.

He's managed them as best he can and chucked them in the deep end, but with as much support as he can give and not been afraid to take out the firing line (see Towler last season). Equally given them time to intergrate with the first team over time and chucked them in and they've risen to the challenge (Conway).

It's a common theme for injury prone players as well re Williams.

He may not be the best manager tactically, which I'm sure even NP would admit, but he's a fantastic delegator and man manager. I cant remember the last time we got as much from a squad of players. relative to investment and league reputation.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Collective.

Absolutely. I think the players deserve a lot of credit.

Players like DaSilva and Vyner were out the door last season. They took it on the chin and worked hard to get back on the bus. I don’t think Wells was off the bus, but many players of his experience would be sulking in the stands somewhere. Gutted for him that he didn’t get his hat trick today.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Certain players too- giving big credit to NP here for this- who were seen as best out of the door have come back and contributed quite strongly this season in different ways.

6 months ago would we have been thinking Vyner, DaSilva and Wells would have been starting games.and playing well? Okay Vyner can still be prone to an error but Nige is getting the best out of them when set against Johnson or Holden.

Credit to those 3 as well of course, for knuckling down and playing their way back into favour, unlike say Bakinson.

Everything has changed with the arrival of NP.

Players no longer skive off during training, don't care a toss about their colleagues.

Above all, we actually have a team in the true meaning of the word. A superb example from today's match is Tommy Conway showing that he was upset when substituted because he was enjoying his game so much. Not because he didn't want to be there.

We now have a squad that CARE. Thanks to Nigel Pearson who manages by making every playing member feel that they are important. Gone are the days where players could not care if they were subbed or left out.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I can't point to the interview (it was within the last 6 months though), but NP he said the situation he inherited was worse than he had been sold. And remember it was The Lansdown's that were selling the club to him, and they had no real understanding about how bad they had let things get (SL "I tried to persuade him to stay", when talking about MA), so I'm not surprised by this.

In fact, I don't think there are very many posters on here had that much of an inkling that we were in such peril. I certainly didn't! And we've still got a possible FPP points deduction to come ...

I’ve heard a leak of a small part of the telephone conversation between SL and NP after Holden was sacked

Steve is swigging a large malt and mumbling ....’Nigel ...it’s such a mess...We’ve got players bloody everywhere and hardly any of them are interested......and my son has just shown me the wage bill....Jesus.......’

Jon is then heard in the background saying

Sorry Dad , me Mark and Lee were going to make you some money.....sorry...............while you are talking to that Mr Pearson......... tell him about the new kit 

• Haha 1

This does make me chuckle that “something is brewing”. It hasn’t just happened this season.

These things take time and doesn’t just happen by accident. 

The likes of Ian Gay/Forever Bristol City continual sniping and comments like “results based business” demonstrates their fan passion but lack of perspective and understanding in what it takes to rebuild and restructure/transform a football club.

Arsenal - all or nothing is a good example of the challenges when looking to transform a club on & off the pitch, albeit at a higher level.

Great to see the much deserved progress at Bristol City but only two bad results from the negative comments to re-emerge.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1