IGNORED

Something Brewing

BS3City

8 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Anyone think the upturn in fortunes coincided with Jason Euell arriving and possibly working with the forwards??

Might have added a bit but , I’d refer you to @Beni71s post above  !!! 
?

Interesting that NO name checked Alex Ball recently and his work

We have him working almost between or across the U23s and the first team - sounds a good idea to me , help the transition of young players with Ball knowing how to work with them and help , but with an understanding of the first team patterns etc

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, INCRED said:

Anyone think the upturn in fortunes coincided with Jason Euell arriving and possibly working with the forwards??

No. The upturn has been happening for the last 18/20 months that NP has been here. Jason Euell is yet another one of those recruited as part of the recovery team. Maybe his arrival has accelerated the recovery? And maybe he is the one who, like Liverpool in past times, will replace NP as he either moves up or away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Can’t claim to never have had doubts, but this is the benefit of employing a proper manager with a proven record of success; it buys them time with the board and with the supporters. A rookie coach like Holden is never going to get the benefit of the doubt without a track record to fall back on; but Pearson still had the backing of most of us even when things were pretty crap last year because he had the pedigree to turn it around. We’re now being rewarded for that patience. Excited to see where it takes us.

It's good to see in his interviews the honesty. Openly says we aren't the finished article and isn't getting carried away by the results now. 

Its a collective result, players, coaching and management team and we the fans have a part to play. Stick with the team, it's going to be tough at times it's a hard league. Just believe and enjoy the ride!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redtucks said:

I wouldn't say it's all down to Big Nige.

Development of the youngsters over the past few years has been a big plus and much of that has been down to Tinman.

Tinnion’s had a huge role in talent identification, look at the boys from Guernsey for examples, and for using the loan system to develop relationships with other clubs too. 

LJ and Holden didn’t give our youngsters any opportunities. Sure, LJ developed the likes of Reid and Bryan but he always asked uncle Steve for another signing and got it. 

Two things: 1) the move to the new training ground has had a huge effect, 2) Pearson’s had to play the youngsters because the negligence of the previous regime meant we’re strapped for cash. 

It’s been a long time coming but I’m bloody loving watching this City side playing for each other and growing together, and long may it continue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Magicseason said:

It's good to see in his interviews the honesty. Openly says we aren't the finished article and isn't getting carried away by the results now. 

Its a collective result, players, coaching and management team and we the fans have a part to play. Stick with the team, it's going to be tough at times it's a hard league. Just believe and enjoy the ride!

if we were a finished article half the side wouldnt be here so enjoy the ride we are on at the moment .....also we still keep offering the opposition chances but always seem to score more than them which is handy at the moment....

Leicester fan here. I've been tracking you ever since he was appointed and delighted that something seems to be happening at last. There were some fears for me that his best days were behind him but I think even without his assistants of Shakespeare & Walsh there's still something about him.

He dug us out of a mess twice. Took over the club in it's lower ever ebb. Now while I think he did manage to assemble the best squad in League One the bookies still fancied Leeds over us and we absolutely walked it. There are plenty of clubs of a similar stature who've gone down there and not had it quite so easy. We got 96 points, only lost 4 times and came back up. We then made the play-offs, Kermorgant-gate - another massive effort from us and the first time in years our fans had felt any serious pride in the club. He was disgracefully let go as Mandaric wanted a more attractive 'name' to make the club more appealing to potential buyers and he appointed Paulo Sousa, who was a disaster and sacked by our new owners after just 9 games. They went and blew a load of money on the Sven charade and with FFP rules being brought in Pearson was brought back after all.

Now Pearson did spend money himself so we weren't paupers but we spent it well - he bought Vardy, Morgan, Mahrez and Drinkwater who went on and achieved the seemingly impossible. He won the Championship in his third year back with 102 points, a tally only bettered by Reading's 106 and had us back in the Premier League after our longest ever absence. I think we all know what followed.

While I'm not necessarily sure he'd have won the league with us I do think his obsession with the correct type of character is what brewed circumstances where the unthinkable became possible and I think he manifested a togetherness that I have seldom seen at the club - something that was falling apart under Ranieri and for me, for some ups and downs, it's never been quite the same since. We were a well oiled machine. An excellent hit rate in the transfer window and you always felt that things would eventually get better even when we were going through bad spells.

Where I think he's failed elsewhere since us is that he does need time and a lot of clubs simply won't afford him it. At Derby for example I think he had plenty of players he wasn't happy with and the run of form was so dreadful under him that it did look like it was too big a mess to fix. Now while that's a quite biased account from somebody who likes him (and doesn't like Derby, shockingly) you only have to see what's happened to them since. Not saying he'd have fixed the problem but I think it's clear they had deeper issues that had been brewing a while.

I think the most telling thing in his favour though is that I've witnessed the absolute unthinkable since he left - a Premier League title, an FA Cup, Champions League quarter finals, trips to Atletico Madrid, Porto, Sevilla, Roma, PSV etc... and here I am still making his case on another clubs forum, as I firmly believe none of this would've happened without his time here. The owners take a lot of credit, they've done some great things, but I think he was largely responsible for the foundations laid for success. How many managers take over a side that had come off the back of 7 wins in 9 and added N'Golo Kante to their squad?

I was worrying that we were basically to him what Burnley are to Dyche but maybe this is all clicking after all. A long way to go and I think you'll pay the price for how many goals you let in (something that surprises me under him I must say) but I'd also bet he eventually fixes that issue. He was upwardly mobile with us. I'm tracking eagerly.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Can't pretend I've not doubted Pearson, especially with continued defensive fragilities and our ability to concede late goals with far to much regularity.

However, I also think I could see the bigger picture i.e. the club needed a massive reset, almost from top to bottom and that to do so we needed the right manager to know what he needed to do within the scheme of things 

I think it is highly likely that NP knew exactly what he was taking on but also that he would be given time to oversee the overhaul required, particularly as the early time involved the architect of many of our problems still being in situ 

Someone else earlier today described Pearson as being pragmatic, and that is the perfect description. He doesn't sugar coat things or give a bullshit gloss to problems. Neither does he indulge in over the top hyperbole after a good result/performance. I suspect he also works to avoid our younger players getting carried away at the moment.

I think the last couple of years have been taking a step backwards and it feels that we are now setting out on the two steps forward.

Fingers crossed this is the time when Sal's loyalty to manager's is properly rewarded.

I think Nige totally got the financial position when he took over and a fair bit of the football issues, but I reckon (speculation from me) his biggest shock was the attitudes / culture of the players.  Not all of the players were bad eggs, far from it, but as they say, one (or two) bad apple spoils a whole damn bunch (Aerosmith song too) and tgat has taken some turning around.  We can see how difficult it is to get rid of anyone post-covid.

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

Might have added a bit but , I’d refer you to @Beni71s post above  !!! 
?

Interesting that NO name checked Alex Ball recently and his work

We have him working almost between or across the U23s and the first team - sounds a good idea to me , help the transition of young players with Ball knowing how to work with them and help , but with an understanding of the first team patterns etc

…and still involving him match days too, so not a case of tossing him aside either.

Signal difference between Nige & Johnson's regime is when introducing a youngster he gives them a chance. He's not afraid to pull them quickly if they're struggling but, more importantly and unlike Johnson, he doesn't pull them for the sake of pulling them after a couple of decent games where they've thrived. I think we've missed out on one or two who, when given a chance AND performing, were summarily benched by Johnson to give them a rest. Try dropping Scott or Conway and hopefully they'd tell the manager where to go. That's how it should be.

12 hours ago, i_am_red said:

Picture it. It’s 2026. An England team featuring Alex Scott, Tommy Conway and Kal Naismith - fresh from winning the Prem and CL with Bristol City - have just won the World Cup beating rivals Scotland (who include Joe Bryan and Louis Carey).

COYR

Ridiculous as you failed to include Zak Vyner’s Ballon D’or success. 

• Haha 1

I'm enjoying this a lot but think we will know a lot about where we are when we get into the International break. As it stands, I think there's every reason to feel we can finish in the top half of the table but the three games coming up will give us a sense of whether we can do more than that.

Under LJ, we flattered to deceive but could easily slip up in a home game against a battling low-scoring team trying to turn around a run of poor form - which is exactly what we get in Preston - and tended to get walloped away from home against the promotion favourites (which we get in Burnley and Norwich). If we can do a professional job against Preston and compete in both the Burnley and Norwich games, I'll be starting to get very excited...

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 2

I had initial doubts after NP brought in three mature Leicester players, and the football remained a bit turgid.  I did fear an ageing team of dogged but lacklustre players without pace.  I can't fault him for his initial recruits now, as two of them have been a success both on the pitch to a certain extent and, more importantly, off it. They have been key in unifying the squad and helping the young talent to integrate.  Tommy Conway praised all the experienced players, especially Andy King.  Matty James seems to bring out the best in Alex Scott as well. 

Promotion is a realistic possibility, but even at the middle or lower end of the league, Nigel's been a massive success for me as an attractive style of football has evolved with exciting academy prospects and young recruits being given early chances. He's brought on young talent superbly, with Brian Tinnion deserving equal credit. 

That's success for me regardless of whether City stay in the top eight. The likes of Conway, Semenyo and Scott must be worth a fortune.   He might not endear himself to the media, but there is no doubt he is a superb man-manager of both players and coaching staff.   

He's transformed things on a sustainable and significantly lower budget and brought that elusive optimism.   It's a rare breed of manager that can attain success without buying it, and he's achieving that. 

Over and above league position, I define success as bringing out the best in all players, bringing on young players and giving them opportunities, building a unified  Club team spirit, operating on a sustainable budget and playing attractive football.  A good league position follows from that.  There will be blips, but NP has brought the feel-good factor back.  Richard Gould's quiet background influence deserves praise as well, although accepted that anyone would look good in comparison to his nightmare predecessor.  Crucially, NP looks back to good health as well, and a less determined person could easily have thrown in the towel with his post-Covid issues.

• Like 2

Ever since his very first interview with GT on Radio Bris shortly after joining the club, NP has done a very good job at lowering the fan base’s expectations. Whilst I do agree that there seems to be a tangible shift in fortunes and performances on the pitch in the last 4 weeks, I’m not getting ahead of myself just yet. 

The December/January period wreaks havoc for all teams, likely to be an even stranger period of domestic footballing madness this year in the wake of the Qatar World Cup. If we can be consistent in accumulating points at a steady rate during this crucial period, then I’ll start to believe! 

??

One of the difficulties, in assessing the job Nige was doing, was in having a clear, unequivocal understanding of the size of the pickle we were in following covid and the era of Johnson and Ashton, how our hands were tied. But in football, no-one from a club comes out and says: "I have made a right mess of this, to be fair, and was completely taken in by the incompetent and vain Ashton who I have now fired because he was shite and making a right bloody Horlicks of this club. Nige is now buggered financially this season, and next, so if he signs some old shite and we are unwatchable and turgid for another 12 - 18 months, it's my fault and all pelters must be sent my way not Nige's."

Football clubs don’t do this, they do: "we go again" and "today's attendance was 21,866." And other cheery, nothing-to-see-here nobody-goes-home-empty-handed infantile nonsense.

If owners do not offer the plain truth and explain and official sites and outlets are not forthcoming, people are left to piece the reality together themselves, and some are a better at that than others.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

11 hours ago, tin said:

Tinnion’s had a huge role in talent identification, look at the boys from Guernsey for examples, and for using the loan system to develop relationships with other clubs too. 

LJ and Holden didn’t give our youngsters any opportunities. Sure, LJ developed the likes of Reid and Bryan but he always asked uncle Steve for another signing and got it. 

Two things: 1) the move to the new training ground has had a huge effect, 2) Pearson’s had to play the youngsters because the negligence of the previous regime meant we’re strapped for cash. 

It’s been a long time coming but I’m bloody loving watching this City side playing for each other and growing together, and long may it continue. 

This just simply isn't true or as black and white as that.

LJ and DH gave youngsters games - if you were good enough, you played off top of head - Kelly, Bryan, Reid, Tammy. Max O'L, Semenyo, Towler, Vyner, Moore, amongst many names being introduced.

The difference is NP has the quality of Scott, Conway, Benerous and now Semenyo etc vs. the quality of player like Joe Morrell, Wes Burns, Bakinson and Janneh coming through.

Next level quality for NP, so very easy to say X didn't give enough chances and Y does. Can you give me 2 or 3 players LJ or DH didn't play enough who've been released and gone to the next level?

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 1

I can be all smug here and said I saw this brewing months ago ;)

Whats been important here is culture, and pace of change. In any industry, if you go in and rip everything up to start with you may get short term results but it becomes unsustainable. It’s possible that employee who wasn’t performing wasn’t poor, just mismanaged, and if you throw baby with bath water, you lose an asset.

A real case here is Wells. When Ashton was here he spoke of “good humans” - with his demeanour etc most people would have not put that moniker NWs way, and it would have been easy for NP to throw him off the bus. He didn’t - he sized him up and realised he could form part of the collective. Ask Tommy Conway what a good influence Wells is.

In summary, he’s got the right characters in the building, and he’s a very good manager. I’ll say again - I think this is the season that it’s on (just because we have a lot OOC and will find it hard to keep Scott etc) and I for one will not be shocked if we continue in the top six all season as a minimum.

• Like 5

Scary how good we look, it’s only September and I love posts like this but also don’t want it to bite us in the bum, we all know how bi polar OTIB can be.. but I won’t be defeatist, like I said before the season started is this optimism because yes something is brewing, good job we are all getting new kettles ??

Rewatching the highlights from yesterday , a few times ! :laugh: , besides the 3 points and description of the  performance from those who were there / watched ..... wow....some of the individual moments...even in the highlights were an absolute joy 

First goal ,

Scott .....’Gascogne esque’ as he waltzed out of a press with a swagger , and sent us forward
Weimann’s cross for Tommy Conway was mouthwatering ....... ‘Here....have yourself a goal lad’

Like most , I love a diving header... and Conway lines himself up , sets himself . Then explodes through the ball.. superb technique, and so easy to put that wide or hit the keeper

Second goal...wow

Tommy Conways control and lay off , superb

Weimanns through ball (If KDB does that they drool on Match Of Day

Wells finish

Just a few examples of what I’d say were ‘wow’ moments and two goals that aren’t easy to better

We have some excellent talents who are ‘at it’ and in form and definitely a time to indulge and savour 

Im off to watch the goals a couple more times !

* You could also Add the ugly stuff of tackles , and blocks (I think Alex Scott threw himself at the ball 3 times at edge of box in one Blackburn attack) 

I also watched a VLog from a Blackburn fan filmed from behind their goal .It was a rubbish VLog but what you could see was our good shape , how we worked as a unit / team , not as individuals , covering each other , changing shape as the play evolved

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm enjoying this a lot but think we will know a lot about where we are when we get into the International break. As it stands, I think there's every reason to feel we can finish in the top half of the table but the three games coming up will give us a sense of whether we can do more than that.

Under LJ, we flattered to deceive but could easily slip up in a home game against a battling low-scoring team trying to turn around a run of poor form - which is exactly what we get in Preston - and tended to get walloped away from home against the promotion favourites (which we get in Burnley and Norwich). If we can do a professional job against Preston and compete in both the Burnley and Norwich games, I'll be starting to get very excited...

I think the schedule for those two away games is asking too much to expect any positive results.

Getting up to Norwich midweek and then to Burnley means more travel time than time on the training ground and I wouldn't base anything on those two games.

However, I do expect a positive result against PNE, they are due to let a few in imo.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

I think the schedule for those two away games is asking too much to expect any positive results.

Getting up to Norwich midweek and then to Burnley means more travel time than time on the training ground and I wouldn't base anything on those two games.

However, I do expect a positive result against PNE, they are due to let a few in imo.

Yeah - I didn’t mean so much the results but more that we compete in the games and don’t get comprehensively outplayed.

17 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Proud to have never had doubts. ? 

Nor me….but I was prepared to be patient with results and performances on the pitch.  I’ve been saying the club was in a mess for a good while, and I read a great tweet yesterday from Tim Keech at MRKT Insights:

We are seeing the benefits of a plan and good decisions.

• Like 1