IGNORED

Foxes Forum -Views on Nigel Pearson

Abraham Romanovich

19 hours ago, Robbored said:

He is indeed and after 1.5 seasons he’s gradually turning us into a formidable outfit - just as he did at Leicester. I said when he signed the 3 year contract  that’s Nige is the first proper manager since Danny Wilson, both with promotion on their CV  

What doesn’t help tho is when Invisible Jon says he was disappointed with last season……….jeez………:disapointed2se: 

That said maybe the invisible man hadn’t realised what an absolute shambles that Nige inherited and if that true then he was well and truly conned by smarmy Ashton.

First proper manager since Danny Wilson ?????

• Haha 7
  • Flames 1

I wasn't aware of just how much Rodgers must have been spending there but Leicester maybe having to dig themselves out of a financial hole...by the way for a mid sized club, top 5 and top 6, European runs, FA Cup and Charity Shield- impressive but...

Saw a report that suggested their pre tax loss in 2021-22 was as much as £119m!? This is a season post Covid with full attendance! ? 

Utterly mad for a side in the top half of the PL, with some European revenue who haven't seemed like huge spenders from the outside..that aspect of the job sounds like something NP would thrive at especially as they don't have bottom of the table players (IMO).

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 hours ago, nebristolred said:

Shades of Gary Johnson here as well to be fair. Pearson is lightyears ahead of GJ, but we shouldn't underestimate the culture change that GJ implemented, and one that we desperately needed. Filtering out the crap and replacing them with good eggs that put the club in a better position than before. Exactly the same as Nige is doing.

Wilson was a good bloke and a good manager, but ultimately what cost him is probably that particular skill which both GJ and NP exhibit.

Let’s not forget we are 8 games in and 4th Gary Johnson took us to the Championship after 9 years in League 1 and a 4th place finish followed by 2 consecutive 10th place championship finishes….

Some peoples memories are different to reality and Pearson is not light years ahead of Johnson. Granted you acknowledged GJ is a very good manager.

GJ biggest fault was sticking with us when his stock was high and taking jobs with smaller clubs after leaving us instead of waiting for a decent job playing football politically as managers normally do. He took the first jobs that came up and ultimately his stock fell.

Stiil got Yeovil to the Championship though an incredible achievement perhaps greater than our play off final appearance.

Why some fans deny Gary his due respect will always baffle me

Edited by Logical-City
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Logical-City said:

Let’s not forget we are 8 games in and 4th Gary Johnson took us to the Championship after 9 years in League 1 and a 4th place finish followed by 2 consecutive 10th place championship finishes….

Your memories are different to reality and Pearson is not light years ahead of Johnson.

GJ biggest fault was sticking with us when his stock was high and taking jobs with smaller clubs after leaving us instead of waiting for a decent job playing football politically as managers normally do. He took the first jobs that came up and ultimately his stock fell.

Stiil got Yeovil to the Championship though an incredible achievement perhaps greater than our play off final appearance.

Why some fans deny Gary his due respect will always baffle me

Oh my post wasn't a dig at GJ at all, it was praising him! I'm a huge fan of his and without him we wouldn't be where we are as a club. But I still stand by what I said about Pearson - ex-Premier League with a Championship under his belt. Gary Johnson was a top manager for us but he's not of the same calibre as Pearson imo.

Along with Cotterill, probably our best manager since the 80s. My respect for him is absolutely there.

Edited by nebristolred
  • Like 4

Just now, nebristolred said:

Oh my post wasn't a dig at GJ at all, it was praising him! I'm a huge fan of his and without him we wouldn't be where we are as a club. But I still stand by what I said about Pearson - ex-Premier League with a Championship under his belt. Gary Johnson was a top manager for us but he's not of the same calibre as Pearson imo.

Appreciated you acknowledge he’s a good manager but Pearsons job opportunities or clubs managed have been at a greater size to Gary.

Our style of play and use of youth ultimately if it brings us success will have Pearson in a higher position in my mind, but there are different ways to get to success and Johnson’s style got us and Yeovil to heights we could only dream of…Pearson has not got us placed above 17th yet those are the facts!!!

He will I’m sure but let’s not jump the gun 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Rodgers got the Liverpool job 18 years after Souness so he (Souness) can't still be bitter - can he?

I can't stand Rodgers, he came over as a right pratt in that TV behind the scenes Liverpool documentary - even worse than LJ for the David Brentspeak

He certainly didn’t hold back on his negative opinions of Rodgers………..Souness is 100% Liverpool and gave the distinct impression that he’s never rated Rodgers before, during and after his spell as Liverpool manager.

It was a good listen on Talk Sport this morning. 

6 minutes ago, Selred said:

If Wilson, Johnson and Cotts looked back on their time here. 2 will look back with pride for their fantastic achievements, and that 2 wouldn't include Danny Wilson. 

He didn’t even leave any legacy signings or youth, played the best cm in the league (Tinnion) on the left wing at every opportunity and held Leroy Lita in the reserves when he could have secured us 2nd place in 03-04 season if played in certain games 1-1 draws at home to relegated clubs that season stand out .

1 hour ago, Logical-City said:

He didn’t even leave any legacy signings or youth, played the best cm in the league (Tinnion) on the left wing at every opportunity and held Leroy Lita in the reserves when he could have secured us 2nd place in 03-04 season if played in certain games 1-1 draws at home to relegated clubs that season stand out .

Tinnion was a left back at Newcastle, left of a 3 man midfield at Bradford, and a left sided midfielder for us. Someone who made a Wikipedia edit states that

"He switched from wide on the left flank into the centre of a three-man midfield under new manager Danny Wilson in 2000 and the role often gave him time and space to execute through balls, such was his form in that role that he was voted as the best player in his division."

but I only really ever remember him playing on the left of midfield, and banging over diags for Scotty to run on to.

Anyway, I don't think you can 'blame' Danny Wilson for playing Tins out of position.

As for Leroy Lita, I got the impression that he was a challenge to manage, but him being left out of the play off final really didn't do us any favours.

• Like 1

Another interesting snippet or two finance wise, on the Off the Pitch projections.

Despite the £100m sale of Grealish, academy player and pure profit, Aston Villa only made an £11m profit. Estimate on the analysis was a £104m profit on disposal of players in all which is mad...underlying loss pre transfer profits but post everything else of £85-95m.

Everton made a loss reportedly of £58m although estimates...if that's true then by my best estimates they woukd have on the face of it exceeded the Upper Limit to 2022, this as per the estimates included the sale of Richarlison!? That is even assuming the legitimate £170m (yeah right!) of Covid allowances and add-backs permitted.

Suggested too that Arsenal made another major loss, £80m maybe. Not read it in depth yet.

3 hours ago, Logical-City said:

Tininion was a left sided midfielder, he use to be a left back, he only played centrally once his legs started to go

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Tininion was a left sided midfielder, he use to be a left back, he only played centrally once his legs started to go

Anyone who watched city between 02-04 should know City would have been at there best with Doherty and Tinnion in the middle we dropped a lot of points to teams teams like Colchester, Chesterfield by playing Doherty and Brunell every week in the middle. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Monkeh said:

I'd swap Pearson for Rogers, I think Rogers is a better manager,

That being said I don't want Pearson gone as I think he's fantastic and what the club needs

His time at Watford and Reading were absolute shockers,would he have been able to turn this club from the sinking ship it was to now I very much doubt it like Pearson has

7 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

Is anyone actually concerned we could lose NP if/ when Leicester give Rodgers the boot? It would be a real kick In the gut. 

Of course but Pearson is keen on loyalty and Leicester done him dirty so can’t see him going back there,if they said 5 mill a year he would be running up the motorway to sign the contract and wouldn’t blame him tbh 

13 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

Is anyone actually concerned we could lose NP if/ when Leicester give Rodgers the boot? It would be a real kick In the gut. 

I wouldn’t be supprised  he did it to Hull Football is about making what you can when the opportunity arises as a manager and a player! Only loyalty in football is from supporters

1 hour ago, Logical-City said:

Anyone who watched city between 02-04 should know City would have been at there best with Doherty and Tinnion in the middle we dropped a lot of points to teams teams like Colchester, Chesterfield by playing Doherty and Brunell every week in the middle. 

Burnell was in there to do Dohertys running in fairness, I always liked Simon Clist who was around at the same time but never really got a look in.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

His time at Watford and Reading were absolute shockers,would he have been able to turn this club from the sinking ship it was to now I very much doubt it like Pearson has

Argument too that he- Rodgers- inherited some useful signings from Puel, and reaped the rewards of this. Not saying solely down to his predecessor but got a bit lucky timing wise with some probably.

Pereira, Evans, Maddison- then Tielemans on loan, none were Rodgers signings.

Vardy of course was signed by a certain City manager. Schmeichel too.

31 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Name another City manager who’s taken a club to the PL? 

I don't remember you mentioning taking a club to the PL making you a proper manager.

You mentioned managers with promotions on their CV, so I suggest Gary Johnson and Steve Cotterill.

I'm sure you wouldn't agree that GJ was a proper manager though!

:whistle2:

• Like 5

Danny Wilson.......hmmm.....:laugh:

Nigel Pearson would have most of that squad on the bus

The National Coach to Inverness or Aberystwyth

Wilson might have done part of a job , to a degree, , but that squad should have achieved far more

They had a culture though , unfortunately it was based in the City Centre , and occasionally at Bridewell police Station.

Good Manager ?  .....hmmmmm 

• Like 1