IGNORED

Foxes Forum -Views on Nigel Pearson

Abraham Romanovich

Just to add to the feelgood factor 

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/123374-nigel-pearson-here-and-now/#comments

"Rodgers ain’t a patch on Nige. Bring him back. "

"So jealous of the ride the Bristol City fans are going on at the moment. He gave me some of my favourite years following football, you just knew they were going to turn up week in week out and give absolutely everything. "

Going to be a bitter pill for a lot on here when we're in a lower league than Nige next season! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Hmmm 1

What's interesting about our fans and Pearson, and I say this as someone who would swap Rodgers for Pearson in a heartbeat, is many of them seem to be forgetting that exactly what they say about Rodgers now is what they were saying about Pearson at times after he came back in 11/12 and certainly when we collapsed in the second half of 12/13 - they certainly weren't saying "you just knew they were going to turn up week in week out and give absolutely everything" after Barnsley away that year for example.

The tendency of selective memory.

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

What's interesting about our fans and Pearson, and I say this as someone who would swap Rodgers for Pearson in a heartbeat, is many of them seem to be forgetting that exactly what they say about Rodgers now is what they were saying about Pearson at times after he came back in 11/12 and certainly when we collapsed in the second half of 12/13 - they certainly weren't saying "you just knew they were going to turn up week in week out and give absolutely everything" after Barnsley away that year for example.

It's like Lee Johnson on here but in reverse. :)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ostrich said:

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Think all football fans who’ve had good times under a manager or with a player have a tendency to hark back to them when things go south.

But I think with Pearson, we’re probably proving a decent project for him due to a number of factors; as you say, he’s worked under restrictions that have granted him time, and he’s been mainly shrewd in his buys and blessed with solid youth players, so would be surprised if he’d leg it to a bigger club in a difficult situation at the drop of a hat.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, samo II said:

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Think all football fans who’ve had good times under a manager or with a player have a tendency to hark back to them when things go south.

But I think with Pearson, we’re probably proving a decent project for him due to a number of factors; as you say, he’s worked under restrictions that have granted him time, and he’s been mainly shrewd in his buys and blessed with solid youth players, so would be surprised if he’d leg it to a bigger club in a difficult situation at the drop of a hat.

Depends on the individual - if you value the project, seeing things through, and not upsetting the apple cart once you're in the groove then stick with it. I do think that is Pearson. Certainly think as his years progress with not perfect health, he will value things other than climbing the ladder so to speak.

The only question is whether he thinks he has unfinished business again. Immaterial because I doubt he'd be under consideration anyway.

3 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

He’s like that middle aged , weathered RAC guy who turns up to you as you are marooned on the side of the M5 with steam emerging from somewhere under the bonnet and a very poorly motor, you’re thinking catastrophic 

Stressed , because you absolutely have to get somewhere and babbling your stress in blind panic to him

He gives a slight grin as he opens the side door on his van reaching for some tools , turns to you , chuckles and says with a slight smile

‘Don’t worry mate ............I’ll have you off and running in 20 mins or so’

And you realise......he will

Sums it up perfectly 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

If you listen to him , he’s  actually a gentleman , straight talking but very measured , and very ‘strong’ in stature and presence , but conducts himself so well

( * mind you , I Would have loved to have been a bystander when he found Marley hiding in the HPC to avoid training ?)

You can guarantee he will be giving , say Alex Scott , a roasting mid training on Tuesday for sloppy passing , and walking off from the session 25 mins later with his arm around him , grin on his face , pulling Scott’s leg and reminding him what a good player he is and how well he is doing !

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Just to add to the feelgood factor 

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/123374-nigel-pearson-here-and-now/#comments

"Rodgers ain’t a patch on Nige. Bring him back. "

"So jealous of the ride the Bristol City fans are going on at the moment. He gave me some of my favourite years following football, you just knew they were going to turn up week in week out and give absolutely everything. "

Going to be a bitter pill for a lot on here when we're in a lower league than Nige next season! 

He is doing the same job here. Luckily SL is letting him get on with it. Bristol City Premier League Champions in two seasons. 

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 2

1 hour ago, Ostrich said:

The only question is whether he thinks he has unfinished business again. Immaterial because I doubt he'd be under consideration anyway.

Why, out of interest? Because they'd want a bigger name?

There was a Leicester fan on 606 last Saturday, who'd been at our game at Blackpool. He said he wanted Pearson back, and ever since then, the more I've been thinking about it, the more it worries me that it could happen. I agree, unlikely. However, I think it would also make a lot of sense for your owners assuming Pearson keeps us up in the top 4/5 of the division and you guys continue to struggle. 

As I say, an outside chance, but much stranger things have happened in football. Pearson has made some "interesting" career choices over the years too. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

There was a Leicester fan on 606 last Saturday, who'd been at our game at Blackpool. He said he wanted Pearson back, and ever since then, the more I've been thinking about it, the more it worries me that it could happen. I agree, unlikely. However, I think it would also make a lot of sense for your owners assuming Pearson keeps us up in the top 4/5 of the division and you guys continue to struggle. 

As I say, an outside chance, but much stranger things have happened in football. Pearson has made some "interesting" career choices over the years too. 

My worry also. 

I think it's more possible than some may think. He has a fantastic relationship with their owners still to this day. 

He was at the opening ceremony of their new training ground last year, after being personally invited by their chairman. 

Some managers click at certain clubs, and Pearson is certainly well-suited to Leicester. 

I really hope it doesn't happen, but I wouldn't rule it out. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He'll stay here.  Unless there is some unwanted ownership interference that will make him think 'why am I bothering?'

However, you would hope that the work done so far means that will not happen.  

That leads me to think, if we stay in contention at the top of the table, surely the sale of the club becomes likely.  It would be typical for the Lansdowns to sell to someone who then undermines Nige and he jumps ship.  

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

He'll stay here.  Unless there is some unwanted ownership interference that will make him think 'why am I bothering?'

That leads me to think, if we stay in contention at the top of the table, surely the sale of the club becomes likely.  It would be typical for the Lansdowns to sell to someone who then undermines Nige and he jumps ship.  

?

Dont....just don’t......

.........my god ...you can .....can’t you ?

Living in Leicestershire means I'm meeting quite a few Foxes fans at the moment.

Generally I get told/asked something along the lines of "Pearson is doing well with you isn't he? Did you know he laid the groundwork for our PL win? You've got a good guy at the helm there. Nah wouldn't want him back though as those days are gone?"

Then I ask who they'd like and I'd say the majority say they want the bloke managing their adversary today: Potter.

Just my anecdotal evidence.

28 minutes ago, Midred said:

After he got Leicester promoted and they were doing well why did he leave/get the sack for the club to then bring Ranieri in to take the plaudits for winning the Championship? 

IIRC there was an unpleasant incident involving young Leicester players on a post season trip to Thailand, this was a club trip and involved Nigel’s son. 

Nigel lost his job over this / resigned, can’t remember which.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes. If he was out of work and they needed an interim, then they might go back there (like Watford did), but that's not going to be the case. It's 8 games into the Championship season, having finished 17th last year - anyone who is slightly in the loop or looks at this forum will know there's reasons for that but it's not quite what gets you a Premier League job at a club that, at least longer term, still aims to challenge a bit further up even if we're not going to be doing that this year. I think there's also question marks over his PL record too.

The relationship is there still that makes it a possibility which it wouldn't be for anyone else in the league, it'd also probably be quite cheap and I'm not sure of the viable alternatives. I think Rodgers is here much longer than the fans hope.

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

He’s like that middle aged , weathered RAC guy who turns up to you as you are marooned on the side of the M5 with steam emerging from somewhere under the bonnet and a very poorly motor, you’re thinking catastrophic 

Stressed , because you absolutely have to get somewhere and babbling your stress in blind panic to him

He gives a slight grin as he opens the side door on his van reaching for some tools , turns to you , chuckles and says with a slight smile

That is just one of the funniest things I’ve ever heard, love it

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

SL had been with Green Flag, that was the problem!

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, glynriley said:

I watched his interview, from when he was appointed full time, back the other day. 

It’s a good reminder for some of our fans, as it was for me, that the project that Nige spoke about that day, is running along just as he had mapped out in his head. 

100%.

I’ve done so recently too & the 2 pre season ones from each year.

Not only is it as he said, but the honesty shines through (when he was offered his 3 year deal he said that results had been “terrible”).

His clarity & gravitas are very impressive, of course he repeats phrases (we all do) but he’s such a good appointment for a club that has made some frankly utterly incredible ones.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Give SL a bit of credit, he did appoint Pearson and stuck with him during some right dross when many, many other chairmen would of got rid

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

SL had been with Green Flag, that was the problem!

Ha ha , like it

I heard he’d been impressed by Jon’s friend at college who had done several courses and had told SL that he could have the Bentley doing 0-60 in 4 secs whilst doing 85 mpg , all he would need is a few parts 

Apparently initially the Bentley spluttered a bit , then ran ok for a bit , even though the new parts didn’t seem to last long , but then began to break down regularly , no pleasure to drive , and despite the repeated parts changing and ridiculous bills incurred  , had lost complete value or usefulness 

??

• Like 1