IGNORED

VAR in the Premier League yesterday

And Its Smith

We were told that VAR would stop the headlines being about decisions so we could concentrate on talking about the game. If yesterday is anything to go by, VAR is showing no signs of improving despite now being in place for a good while.  Decisions are still being made incorrectly and big decisions at that but this time it is two referees getting it wrong instead of one….value for money?!

Michael Oliver took over a minute looking at a monitor yesterday whilst everyone waiting for him.  The Championship is better for not having VAR…we know a goal is a goal and can celebrate accordingly.  Personally I don’t go to games to watch perfect refereeing performances. Take the rough with the smooth and be careful what you wish for!

• Like 10

It was a lively weekend for VAR but honestly I think it's being exaggerated how bad the decisions were. 

Almost all of the cases can (and are being) argued either way.

And a lot of the experts and people complaining were the loudest with the insistence that the game needs technology to help with decisions

22 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

We were told that VAR would stop the headlines being about decisions so we could concentrate on talking about the game. If yesterday is anything to go by, VAR is showing no signs of improving despite now being in place for a good while.  Decisions are still being made incorrectly and big decisions at that but this time it is two referees getting it wrong instead of one….value for money?!

Michael Oliver took over a minute looking at a monitor yesterday whilst everyone waiting for him.  The Championship is better for not having VAR…we know a goal is a goal and can celebrate accordingly.  Personally I don’t go to games to watch perfect refereeing performances. Take the rough with the smooth and be careful what you wish for!

As Manager after Manager criticised refs and VAR the game is experiencing a unprecedented drop of numbers coming into football.

The numbers of refs in football is at a record low.

Football is losing refs faster than it is recruiting them. The primary reason is abuse of officials. 

Edited by Cowshed

The biggest change we need for me is to take away the idea that being asked to go to the monitor indicates to the referee on pitch that he’s made an error 

In my view it’s an aide that should be used to help the onfield change or confirm his decision and actually used in a ‘neutral way,

Using the West Ham incident as an example I think the referee / VAR / and monitor should be used as follows

Goal Scored , Chelsea players complaining of foul on Mendy (Who is led out being read his last rites)

Ref to VAR ‘Can you double check what happened to Mendy’

VAR  ‘Yes , the West Ham player does make slight contact with Mendy ‘

Ref ‘Yes , I thought it was minor , a game contact’

VAR ‘slight contact toe to shoulder’

Ref ‘Yes, as I saw it , I’m giving the goal’

or 

Goal Scored , Chelsea players complaining of foul on Mendy (Who is led out being read his last rites)

VAR ‘The West Ham player made contact with him after the ball’

Ref ‘I didn’t see the contact , you are sure he made contact’

VAR ‘Yes he made contact’

Ref ‘ I’m going to have a look on the monitor , I’ll make a decision from that’

> Ref goes to monitor and HE makes the decision 

What it shouldn’t be IMHO is VAR sending the referee to the monitor with an inference that he’s made an error, the monitor should be accepted as simply part of good process

It was good to see Michael Oliver sent to monitor yesterday , and stay with his original decision - I think he’s the first one to do so , isn’t he 

Maybe it will help others to not be pressurised by the current process and merely use the monitor as an additional aide , when required.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

38 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

The biggest change we need for me is to take away the idea that being asked to go to the monitor indicates to the referee on pitch that he’s made an error 

In my view it’s an aide that should be used to help the onfield change or confirm his decision and actually used in a ‘neutral way,

Using the West Ham incident as an example I think the referee / VAR / and monitor should be used as follows

VAR  ‘Yes , the West Ham player does make slight contact with Mendy ‘

Ref ‘Yes , I thought it was minor , a game contact’

VAR ‘slight contact toe to shoulder’

Ref ‘Yes, as I saw it , I’m giving the goal’

or 

VAR ‘The West Ham player made contact with him after the ball’

Ref ‘I didn’t see the contact , you are sure he made contact’

VAR ‘Yes he made contact’

Ref ‘ I’m going to have a look on the monitor , I’ll make a decision from that’

> Ref goes to monitor and HE makes the decision 

What it shouldn’t be IMHO is VAR sending the referee to the monitor with an inference that he’s made an error, the monitor should be accepted as simply part of good process

It was good to see Michael Oliver sent to monitor yesterday , and stay with his original decision - I think he’s the first one to do so , isn’t he 

Maybe it will help others to not be pressurised by the current process and merely use the monitor as an additional aide , when required.

Really good to see Oliver do that, regardless of his decision to be fair, as it is starting to become a pointless exercise with fans already cheering as they know the ref will change his decision. 

8 minutes ago, Hello Dave said:

VAR is a complete joke. There’s got to be room for human error in the game, was it really that bad before it came in ? Are they getting the decisions right now? Human error has always been part of the game, do players and managers not make any mistakes at all?

There was plenty of human error yesterday if that helps?

It isn’t so much about the tech than how it is applied.  VAR can be really useful if it is used exclusively for clear and obvious errors but becomes a problem when it becomes one ref’s subjective interpretation over another’s.

I honestly think it would simplify and speed things up if, for any decision, a panel of three VAR officials could watch it a maximum of three times and - if they aren’t unanimous agreement after three views - the original decision stands as it cannot by definition be a clear or obvious error.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s the point…why is it taking a human 10 views?

If it has to remain I would say that if an error hasn’t been seen by the time the game restarts then it’s a goal. Keep playing as if VAR isn’t even in operation and they have about 20-30 seconds then to highlight an issue to the ref and tell him the correct decision 

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If it has to remain I would say that if an error hasn’t been seen by the time the game restarts then it’s a goal. Keep playing as if VAR isn’t even in operation and they have about 20-30 seconds then to highlight an issue to the ref and tell him the correct decision 

I still think it would work better if it was an “appeals / review” decision like in cricket.  Take the onus to appeal away from refs / Stockley Park.  Give them one review chance, use it, abuse it, lose it…successful, retain it.

Then let VAR do its thing.  I agree re timing, if you can’t decide in <x seconds>, the original decision stands.  

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote&#x27;snephew said:

Everybody knows VAR is c**p. The authorities know VAR is c**p but they don't want it to be perfect. They have to find jobs for their poorest referees and someone has to justify the ludicrous payments given to the a**ewipes of pundits lined up to  comment on the bleedin obvious. 

Also you have to wonder if it had been Chelsea scoring and not West Ham yesterday, what would the decision have been?  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I still think it would work better if it was an “appeals / review” decision like in cricket.  Take the onus to appeal away from refs / Stockley Park.  Give them one review chance, use it, abuse it, lose it…successful, retain it.

Then let VAR do its thing.  I agree re timing, if you can’t decide in <x seconds>, the original decision stands.  

Definitely agree with this, needs an appeals system and they have to state why (so can't just say "something bad might have happened somewhere". Let it be either the manager or captains call. Limit on how many appeals per game or half. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Is VAR the problem?  Or is it the person in Stockley Park / 4th official?

It’s the mentality of the person - they are trying to find a reason NOT to give the goal - rather than a reason to GIVE the goal.

Its a contact sport and the protection keepers get, and have got for some years now, needs to stop - if they jump with their hands up high to catch a ball no one can get near them - but if they are not in the right position then they need to take the rough with the smooth!

• Like 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, mozo said:

There was plenty of human error yesterday if that helps?

I was at the Villa vs Manchester City game yesterday, shocker from the linesman flagging Coutinho offside when he wasn't. 

Rather than see the attack through the lino flagged and the ref blew the whistle just before the shot was hit. 

OK it went in, but we'll never know if he would have scored if the officials hadn't made such a balls up