IGNORED

Norwich away - general info

Eddie Notgetinya

• Admin
6 hours ago, tommy_b said:

Midweek scheduling of some far away games is a deliberate ploy. 

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/efl-chief-admits-long-distance-576621

For both parties here, they know away support will be lesser than say each of our games away to Watford (vaguely in the middle geographically).

So a midweek Watford fixture would not be desirable for either club but a midweek Bristol/Norwich would be. 

There must be some logic applied which says the decrease in away fans who would travel Norwich<>Bristol in midweek is not offset by how many more would do it on a weekend. 

I'm glad you shared this, there has been a misconception for many years that we are somehow losing out 

11 hours ago, Olé said:

The whole concept of it taking longer to get from the edge of London to South East London, than it does to get from the edge of London to Bristol, was lost on me until I moved down here. It's completely ridiculous and (along with suicidal Uber drivers) was one of the reasons I got rid of my car 4 years ago. The loss of the 22.36 from Bristol to London has been even more disappointing. I wrote to GWR who said write to NetworkRail. I wrote to NetworkRail (twice) and got absolutely no response. It makes midweek games a real pain. Bizarrely the service does run on Saturday nights.

I’ve noticed the 2200 from Bristol comes up from the West Country so all GWR need to do is add a stop order at Parson Street. Would be doable just 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Indeed. Bloody frustrating to hit the elevated section and realise I'm half way home (by time.) Past couple of years to head west I have first to head east, sounds stupid but its quicker thanks to successive London mayors, even though its 50 odd miles longer each way. I used to leave Hotwells on a Saturday and be home by 8 (through town.) Same route today I'd be lucky to make 9 thanks to cycle lanes and revised traffic schemes. Picking other fans up en route as I used to from The Embankment is a non-starter. That's car sharing inefficiency for you.

Before I binned off my car I used to alternate that M25 loop, which is ridiculous as I started by going half an hour EAST on the A2, adding that 50 miles you mention to my journey (albeit with more predictability), OR a painstakingly curated route through little known backroads of Camberwell on one side of the river, and Chelsea on the other, to avoid main drags. All unfortunately were still susceptible to lunatic Uber drivers in South London or road works and tailbacks on the M4, so in the end I packed the whole lot in, one of the best moves I ever made. Trains have their flaws but I generally get places faster and less stressed.

EDIT - I've always wondered if that was you I exchanged words with through a window, stuck in the 90 minute jam before Hammersmith flyover on the West Cromwell Road, before our promotion party at Ashton Gate at the end of the 2014/15 season? That was as bad as it gets, sat in a completely static three lane jam as far as the eye could see, with an ETA surpassing 3pm. 

Edited by Olé

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Before I binned off my car I used to alternate that M25 loop, which is ridiculous as I started by going half an hour EAST on the A2, adding that 50 miles you mention to my journey (albeit with more predictability), OR a painstakingly curated route through little known backroads of Camberwell on one side of the river, and Chelsea on the other, to avoid main drags. All unfortunately were still susceptible to lunatic Uber drivers in South London or road works and tailbacks on the M4, so in the end I packed the whole lot in, one of the best moves I ever made. Trains have their flaws but I generally get places faster and less stressed.

EDIT - I've always wondered if that was you I exchanged words with through a window, stuck in the 90 minute jam before Hammersmith flyover on the West Cromwell Road, before our promotion party at Ashton Gate at the end of the 2014/15 season? That was as bad as it gets, sat in a completely static three lane jam as far as the eye could see, with an ETA surpassing 3pm. 

Not I, we arrived in good time for that one doubtless due to an overly early start and active satnav. The issue is there are no 'back doubles' any more what with LTNs and cycle lanes. One just has to sit and suffer, hence I go via M25 & Bracknell. 

36 minutes ago, weepywall said:

How many will make this trip do you reckon? Think we took less than 200 for a Monday night game on Sky one year, 300ish possible? 

We've sold 250 thus far apparently, I think our good form persuades a few more London folk to make the journey. Could be looking at 400 plus with a win on Saturday 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JBFC II said:

We've sold 250 thus far apparently, I think our good form persuades a few more London folk to make the journey. Could be looking at 400 plus with a win on Saturday 

I know of a fair few with tickets who won't now be going given the lack of trains.

On 06/09/2022 at 18:21, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Pretty easy. I’d suggest paying cash and using the match day car parks at either County Hall or Clarence Road. Avoid the retail complex (you will get a parking ticket) and the multi storey at Riverside by the train station as the queue for the parking meter after a match is ridiculous.

Magic. Ticket booked. No point in wasting a week off work. Another ground to tick off my list

11 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Magic. Ticket booked. No point in wasting a week off work. Another ground to tick off my list

Same, can't remember if it's a new one for me or not. I thought I may have went in the Play off final season, but looking at the result and it being early in the season I'm not sure I did as I don't remember it

35 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Wasn't the lack of trains known an issue before tickets became available?

No. RMT announced dates after Norwich match tickets went on sale, before the Burnley tickets went on sale , but not before many of us had purchased rail tickets for both fixtures. RMT targeted a Saturday knowing the disruption and publicity it would create amongst the football community.

27 minutes ago, Rickyrobin said:

Will it be shown on the Red button? Sorry if this has already been answered. 

Wednesday September 14

Luton vs Coventry, 7.45pm - Live on Sky Sports Football Red Button & Sky Sports app

Millwall vs QPR, 7.45pm - Live on Sky Sports Football Red Button & Sky Sports app

Norwich vs Bristol City, 7.45pm - Live on Sky Sports Football Red Button & Sky Sports app

Rotherham vs Blackpool, 7.45pm - Live on Sky Sports Football Red Button & Sky Sports app

Reading vs Sunderland, 8pm - Live on Sky Sports Football & Sky Sports app

West Brom vs Birmingham City, 8pm - Live on Sky Sports Action, Sky Sports Football Red Button & Sky Sports app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/09/2022 at 18:21, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Pretty easy. I’d suggest paying cash and using the match day car parks at either County Hall or Clarence Road. Avoid the retail complex (you will get a parking ticket) and the multi storey at Riverside by the train station as the queue for the parking meter after a match is ridiculous.

Yes; head for County Hall which has loads of match day parking and it's then a short walk up the hill and turn right for the approach to the ground.

10:51

68%

skysports.com/w

WED 14TH SEPTEMBER

Luton

19:45

Coventry

E

Championship, Sky Sports Football - Red Button (19:40)

Millwall

QPR

Norwich

Bristol C

Rotherham 19:45

Blackpool

Reading

20:00

S'land

Championship, Sky Sports Football (19:30)

W Brom Birm'ham

20:00

Championship, Sky Sports Football - Red Button (19:30)

5 hours ago, Red-Al said:

Not postponed, it's illegal to strike whilst country is in mourning,

Really? is this actually a fact?

It has been widely reported that the 2 high profile strikes, that were planned, were subsequently cancelled out of respect to her majesty. No mention of any laws being broken due to the period of mourning. 

Edited by redsince82
spelling error

21 minutes ago, redsince82 said:

Really? is this actually a fact?

It has been widely reported that the 2 high profile strikes, that were planned, were subsequently cancelled out of respect to her majesty. No mention of any laws being broken due to the period of mourning. 

Exactly it’s a gesture of goodwill that’s hopefully reciprocated 

Thought it worth mentioning that there is NO designated away team pub in Norwich. This is due to one too many issues of damage being caused to the Compleat Angler that no longer accept away fans. Furthermore alcohol is NOT served in the stadium to away fans.

Sometimes the Waterfront pub or Stadia (both close to carrow road) take away fans but this is very hit and miss. 

Best bet - pretend to be home fans.

Also be aware the stewarding is now provided by SIA and has come under heavy criticism of late for heavy handedness of away support. 

@Jerseybean maybe worth mentioning again in the match day thread?

• Like 1

I used to live in Norwich.  It is a Fine City, I know this because they have a big sign on the city limit saying so.  Plus the locals will mention it.

If you ask anyone in Norwich about pubs.  And quite often, even if you don't ask.  They will tell you that :

"Norwich has a Church for every week of the year and a pub for every day of the year!"

This is usually followed up by an adendum of which pubs/churches have closed recently ?  Or other remarks which through the validity of this claim into doubt.

Anyway, there is no shortage of pubs.

The top 5 things people ask Google about Norwich | Eastern ...

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, soultrader said:

I used to live in Norwich.  It is a Fine City, I know this because they have a big sign on the city limit saying so.  Plus the locals will mention it.

If you ask anyone in Norwich about pubs.  And quite often, even if you don't ask.  They will tell you that :

"Norwich has a Church for every week of the year and a pub for every day of the year!"

This is usually followed up by an adendum of which pubs/churches have closed recently ?  Or other remarks which through the validity of this claim into doubt.

Anyway, there is no shortage of pubs.

The top 5 things people ask Google about Norwich | Eastern ...

CDE7B1E0-4A75-4682-97F6-5F1970028530.jpeg

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Used to love a work trip or training course in Norwich. Used to frequent a pub known as Murderers but that, I think, was actually called the Gardeners Arms? Had done great times up there, whatever happened to the Norwich Sports Village, too? 

Still goes under both names! Home pub on match days 

• Like 1