IGNORED

Just when it looks good on the pitch ...

Marina's Rolls Royce

Hargreaves Lansdown shares have fallen by an uncomfortable 40% this year and Steve Lansdown is still a major shareholder with his fortunes still linked to those of his company despite selling steadily for several years.

Investors in shares of this company have become so nervous about its future that the stock is now the 7th most shorted stock on the London stock exchange with a record 1 in 20 shares being shorted ( bet on future fall in share value) most worryingly by the worlds biggest asset manager, Black Rock as well as titan Hedge Fund, Marshall Wace. These shorts after the already serious fall in HL share price. Big shorts in companies- even sound ones can become self fulfilling prophesies.

So what does this mean? Well, basically, SL is a helluva lot poorer than he has been for a long time with the probability it's going to get a whole lot worse for him. This, in turn, will no doubt make him extremely cautious about funding the huge losses which BCFC are making. It makes sense way beyond FFP that there have been no transfer fees paid this summer. It also makes it more unlikely that new investment will be forthcoming.

The prospect of big sales are increasingly likely with the money being prioritised in underpinning the infrastructure of BCFC before any big purchase. It is no surprise that Steve is keen for new investment from a third party and that he would be willing to sell to the right buyer.

Steve is obviously not remotely broke or anywhere approaching it but I believe he will not be keen to see a much reduced personal fortune funding a seriously big loss making business. 

The good news is that there are growing assets on the pitch and an increasingly impressive batch of youth coming through. Whilst he might sell some of the silver- there's still a bit more in the cupboard.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

with the probability it's going to get a whole lot worse for him

I know these aren't you words but oh please. Cry me a bloody river.

Millions around the country seriously worrying about being able to heat their homes this winter and we're meant to give two shits about a billionaire with a few tens of millions wiped off his net worth? It's already an obscene and depraved amount of wealth for anyone to have.

It's not like he can even invest it all in City if he wanted due to FFP. I personally could not care less about the H&L share price.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 3

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

Millions around the country seriously worrying about being able to heat their homes this winter and we're meant to give two shits about a billionaire with a few tens of millions wiped off his net worth? It's already an obscene and depraved amount of wealth for anyone to have.

It's not like he can even invest it all in City if he wanted due to FFP. I personally could not care less about the H&L share price.

Spot on 

Add as well that he wouldn’t of had to spend so much money if he had ran the club properly and not allowed us to make so much debt in the first place . 

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 2

10 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Spot on 

Add as well that he wouldn’t of had to spend so much money if he had ran the club properly and not allowed us to make so much debt in the first place . 

Why didn't he read this forum? I have lost track of the number of threads screaming for us not to buy any new players, to sell our best ones and to double ticket prices.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Steve has about 7% interest in H/L now I believe, Hargreaves being the biggest shareholder with 24%. 

I think Steve will be OK, having cashed a lot of shares in over time. If my sums are right, his 7% is still worth about £300m or so. 

The shares have fallen 50% in the last year and even more in the past 3 years. Losing somewhere around £4-500 million is painful even by Steve's standards. He has no doubt still got a huge fortune but that may well be in diversified areas which are unlikely to be earmarked for further investment in BCFC.

The point is that I think it's unlikely that the club will be benefiting any additional investment from the Lansdown's in any significant way for the foreseeable. A £38 million loss at BCFC  post covid is whopping and expenditure still exceeds income by a long way.  

9 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

The state of the economy and the affect on us is another matter. I'm discussing SL and his potential or likely future attitude when making decisions about the club.

Personally I think if he sold Scott & Semenyo (for example) and possibly others but directed the funds into infrastructure as opposed to playing staff then a few would indeed "cry a river". Both Bournemouth and Leicester fans may feel the same irrespective of their personal energy bills.

8 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I think the original post was meant to be informational and pointing out there maybe (unlikely) consequences for Bristol City, rather than the consequences for Mr Lansdown, which I more than suspect are very few. 

As for investment in City, FFP as I understand it, is not effected by the new stadium additions and academy investment that has just produce Semenyo Conway and Scott who’s combined value is in the region of 45m.

So I guess there could be shits to be given, particularly in the construction industry at all levels, if (in the unlikely event) it makes a difference to the money he puts into the club. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

It makes sense way beyond FFP that there have been no transfer fees paid this summer.

I don’t understand this sentence?  It is purely FFP stopping us paying transfer fees, not HL’s share price.  We are butting up against the £39m (maybe a couple of million over it).  

SL has gotten a lot of his wealth out of HL, it’s not all in one basket, as @1960maaansays.  SL is purely abiding by the rules.

• Like 4

Just now, Davefevs said:

I don’t understand this sentence?  It is purely FFP stopping us paying transfer fees, not HL’s share price.  We are butting up against the £39m (maybe a couple of million over it).  

SL has gotten a lot of his wealth out of HL, it’s not all in one basket, as @1960maaansays.  SL is purely abiding by the rules.

OK I'll rephrase: Irrespective of FFP restrictions, I dont think he would have poured money into transfer fees this summer . I think we are where we are. I'm stating an opinion.

8 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

OK I'll rephrase: Irrespective of FFP restrictions, I dont think he would have poured money into transfer fees this summer . I think we are where we are. I'm stating an opinion.

I know you’re stating an opinion, I just didn’t understand the opinion you were making.  Now I do.

FWIW my opinion is that if we had £10m of headroom for FFP limits I reckon SL would’ve allowed a large chunk of that to be invested in the team, whether be fees, wages or both.  He’s said he’s happy to continue backing the team.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 6

• Admin
1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Hargreaves Lansdown shares have fallen by an uncomfortable 40% this year and Steve Lansdown is still a major shareholder with his fortunes still linked to those of his company despite selling steadily for several years.

Investors in shares of this company have become so nervous about its future that the stock is now the 7th most shorted stock on the London stock exchange with a record 1 in 20 shares being shorted ( bet on future fall in share value) most worryingly by the worlds biggest asset manager, Black Rock as well as titan Hedge Fund, Marshall Wace. These shorts after the already serious fall in HL share price. Big shorts in companies- even sound ones can become self fulfilling prophesies.

So what does this mean? Well, basically, SL is a helluva lot poorer than he has been for a long time with the probability it's going to get a whole lot worse for him. This, in turn, will no doubt make him extremely cautious about funding the huge losses which BCFC are making. It makes sense way beyond FFP that there have been no transfer fees paid this summer. It also makes it more unlikely that new investment will be forthcoming.

The prospect of big sales are increasingly likely with the money being prioritised in underpinning the infrastructure of BCFC before any big purchase. It is no surprise that Steve is keen for new investment from a third party and that he would be willing to sell to the right buyer.

Steve is obviously not remotely broke or anywhere approaching it but I believe he will not be keen to see a much reduced personal fortune funding a seriously big loss making business. 

The good news is that there are growing assets on the pitch and an increasingly impressive batch of youth coming through. Whilst he might sell some of the silver- there's still a bit more in the cupboard.

This implies that when they were printing money for fun money was being chucked at the football club 

I understand the thread was a story about shares and you tried to align it to something football related but it simply has no bearing on the football club either way 

1 hour ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

It’s alright he’s making it all back by charging Preston fans £33 this weekend.

Some Championship clubs charge away fans similar amounts - there have been plenty of moans about away prices on here.

Football is sometimes described as “unscripted theatre” and if you wanted to see a show at the Hippodrome then you’d be charged around £50 for bog standard seats.

So…….it could argued that £33 isn’t so bad…………:dunno:

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

34 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

The state of the economy and the affect on us is another matter. I'm discussing SL and his potential or likely future attitude when making decisions about the club.

Personally I think if he sold Scott & Semenyo (for example) and possibly others but directed the funds into infrastructure as opposed to playing staff then a few would indeed "cry a river". Both Bournemouth and Leicester fans may feel the same irrespective of their personal energy bills.

34 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I think the original post was meant to be informational and pointing out there maybe (unlikely) consequences for Bristol City, rather than the consequences for Mr Lansdown, which I more than suspect are very few. 

Yes of course - and as I said, I'm sure the man has more than enough money to continue wasting as much as he desires on City due to FFP, without these few tens of millions troubling him! It's not like he'll be struggling to drum up the cash to fund our losses if he wants to continue doing so (and thank god he does). The amount he can invest is capped by FFP, not his bank balance.

Who'd lose sleep over a few tens of millions anyway, eh?

Edited by IAmNick

52 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

So ,I take it, you starting a Go Fund page is a no no ??

Edited by slartibartfast
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, slartibartfast said:

So ,I take it, you starting a Go Fund page is a no no ?

I have a decent amount of respect for the man, and am not as anti-Lansdown as some here - when it comes to City anyway. I think he's misguided but his heart is mostly in the right place when it comes to City.

The fact I morally disagree with the existence of billionaires in our society is another matter however!

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 1

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Some Championship clubs charge away fans similar amounts - there have been plenty of moans about away prices on here.

Football is sometimes described as “unscripted theatre” and if you wanted to see a show at the Hippodrome then you’d be charged around £50 for bog standard seats.

So…….it could argued that £33 isn’t so bad…………:dunno:

The Pantomime at the Hippodrome is top price £56 for the best seats, whilst the lowest price is £13. What you get is pretty much guaranteed entertainment. 

Preston fans don’t get options. They have to pay £33 to be shoved in the smallest stand, the worst seats in the house behind the goal, having to drive 380 mile round trip, to watch your team lose to Bristol City, that isn’t a great bargain. 

You don’t go to away games do you Robbo.

• Like 6

It’s only ‘paper losses’ until he crystalises the loss by taking money out/selling shares. Your pensions will have lost around 10% this year but they’ll go back up again in the long term. SL won’t be worried.

and with HL shares down over 50% from their peak, an alternative way to look at it is, they are a great buying opportunity at the moment.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

Yes of course - and as I said, I'm sure the man has more than enough money to continue wasting as much as he desires on City due to FFP, without these few tens of millions troubling him! It's not like he'll be struggling to drum up the cash to fund our losses if he wants to continue doing so (and thank god he does). The amount he can invest is capped by FFP, not his bank balance.

Who'd lose sleep over a few tens of millions anyway, eh?

He wasted money no doubt. But again there is plenty he can do out of his own pocket that doesn’t create a greater ffp issue. ..and has! 

BUT yes I agree with your thrust he sponsored Lee Johnson until we were feckerfied and now Pearson a proper manager has to find us a way out on the ffp playing side But that won’t stop the continued development of AG and money going into S Bristol in non playing ways 

At times like these it’s worth remembering the difference between 1 million and 1 billion.  A good example is using time:

1 million seconds = 12 days

1 billion seconds = 31 years 

SL is still a billionaire and has ‘years’ of £££ left (not that he can spend it with us on players due to FFP!).

Not wanting to get too political but when you realise the COVID track and trace system (including app and testing etc) cost £37billion     over just 2 years, it does make you think where all that £££ went (as a comparison the new Elizabeth line took 23 years to build and still cost £12billion LESS than the track and trace at £25billion!).  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

He's sold alot of his shares now, I dont think he is a majority share holder anymore and only owns about 15%, its Hargreaves who will take the bigger hit

7 hours ago, Selred said:

The Pantomime at the Hippodrome is top price £56 for the best seats, whilst the lowest price is £13. What you get is pretty much guaranteed entertainment. 

Preston fans don’t get options. They have to pay £33 to be shoved in the smallest stand, the worst seats in the house behind the goal, having to drive 380 mile round trip, to watch your team lose to Bristol City, that isn’t a great bargain. 

You don’t go to away games do you Robbo.

I used to attended away games every season, as many as I could work permitting but not these days - it’s an age thing.

• Like 2

They are not the only fund platform that are struggling, there is far less investment available in tough times. I have a SIPP with H&L but I have been considering moving a portion of it into a normal savings account to offset the losses I have incurred in the last 6 months, I am sure others have as well. Less investment, less fees for H&L.

They also didn't do themselves any favours by giving a high rating to an investment fund right up to the day it went bust.

• Like 4