IGNORED

All Matches Postponed Until At Least 12/9/22

BUTOR

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

As this thread displays, yes, a lot of us would want to go. I don’t agree it would be sombre and flat - yes, we may not have Galvanize played but you can bet S82 will still be singing.

Dont get me wrong - a lot of people are upset. But an equal number, if not more people, want life to go on asap.

In a way, you can be both? Upset is the wrong word for me. I recognise her service and have great respect for that. I do feel a sense of loss for what has been a constant in my life through over six decades. I do not think i would be showing any sign of disrespect to hold football matches and attend them. Just my view.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Personally it just doesn't feel right to chant and cheer. 

And life will go on. 

But right now it is all very raw. 

I think, with respect, you’re projecting how you feel onto the collective. It’s not raw for me or for many other people, and we are still working in the normal way.

I respect your right to grieve. But I don’t believe that grief should be enforced on others (with as I said the exception of the day of the Funeral)

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

All those moaning about cancellations are exactly the same folks who'd be up in arms were an incident to happen at an event because emergency response was deployed elsewhere. Why oh why oh why, finger of blame pointed, where's my compo...

Between the 7/7 London bombings and my leaving work there were 29 serious incidents averted by UKIC ('serious' denotes the anticipated deaths of 10 or more individuals.) For obvious reason none were widely publicised. You can probably add a dozen more to that total and don't ignore the incidents that did occur, those which the 'why oh whyers' love to highlight. So for the next few days throughout the land wherever people will gather, manholes and conduits are being lifted, checked and sealed, ditto street furniture, vacant properties, properties of significance and more. Subjects of interest require extra close scrutiny. The normal course of events sees ALL items into the Palace of Westminster first delivered elsewhere, where they are subject to checks then monitored all the way until delivered within the secure perimeter of the Palace.  Imagine how much more will be going there, Westminster Abbey and surrounding buildings over the next few days? The hundreds of dignitaries and VIPs attending the funeral, all their itineraries, lodgings, movements to be assessed and triple checked. The volume of human resource required is phenomenal which is why much of it is shipped in from around the country.

It has nothing to do with whether or not Royals or Government wish to shut things down. They don't, but in the messed up world we live in they must.

An important perspective. If there are genuine operational issues then that sits rather differently than 'they must be cancelled because...mourning'.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think, with respect, you’re projecting how you feel onto the collective. It’s not raw for me or for many other people, and we are still working in the normal way.

I respect your right to grieve. But I don’t believe that grief should be enforced on others (with as I said the exception of the day of the Funeral)

The collective? 

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

I think most will sing Queen as a mark of respect to her.

Obviously going forward and at the King's coronation it will be King

It's now God Save The King.

Agree in stadiums this week fans will sing GSTQ if games go ahead, but the Coronation I presume will be next year. At the World Cup, we will be singing GSTK.

• Like 1

This is extremely sad news , and I had great respect for Queen Elizabeth in particular, and although not a great ‘Royalist’ ,  I like tradition 

But an enforced 10 days of mourning is , in my personal opinion , not what is needed 

Many people are finding life difficult post co-vid , and with the cost of living 

I won’t be alone in having lost loved ones in difficult circumstances and the deep sadness that brings.

Many will find the overt mourning across all media , difficult , merely rekindling sadness

I have a personal view that , as when anyone passes, we should have a balance of respect , mourning , and also a celebration of their life.

Continuing with ‘normal’ life , at least in part , is not , in any way , disrespectful

There are many ways of showing respect

I can fully understand protocols and appropriate respect immediately post her passing , and for her funeral but a prolonged period of anyone in the media frightened to even mention sport , or normal life , in case they are seen as disrespectful isn’t right IMHO

I think togetherness and some aspects of normality actually helps many people at these times , 

RIP Ma’am 

• Like 13

16 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Would any of us really want to go? There would be no music, it would just all feel very sombre and flat. 

Very much doubt that any of the TV/radio stations would give much attention to the matches. 

It’s personal choice whether people want to go or not and whether they want to make noise or not 

The point that’s been made several times is you can’t force people to mourn in 21st century if they don’t want to it’s no longer the 1950’s 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Do I agree with what he said? No

Does he have a right to say it? Yes. 

Don't agree with it? Move on. Seen on twitter people are calling for him to be sacked..... Idiots in my book. He's done nothing illegal. 

To tweet that is moronic.

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The collective? 

It may not be how you intended, but the wording of your posts indicate you feel a certain way and the rest of us should do the same.  Apologies if that’s not your intent, and I respect your right not to want to go, but I don’t think it’s a majority view at all.

I go back to my original point. Society hasn’t stopped. Pubs will remain open. Shops will remain open. People are working. Let the game go ahead if it’s reasonable security wise and those who don’t want to go have the option to stay away. I don’t see what the problem with that is.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, East Londoner said:

It’s personal choice whether people want to go or not and whether they want to make noise or not 

The point that’s been made several times is you can’t force people to mourn in 21st century if they don’t want to it’s no longer the 1950’s 

No one is forcing anyone to mourn? 

Like it or not, the queen was our head of state for 70 years and she held a special place in the majority of people's lives. 

We will never see anything like this in our life times. We are living through history in real time. 

By the same token you are trying to force people to go to football matches who would probably rather not. 

Just now, Super said:

To tweet that is moronic.

It is moronic, I don't disagree, but that mine and yours view. Others will agree with what he said. 

There's been plenty of examples of people hating on Queen Elizabeth II. Some Australian minister who fled Pakistan has been slagging her off about colonialism, yet left the country to move to a commonwealth nation out of all the ones to choose from. 

Let people speak their minds. People can decide for themselves if its right or wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It may not be how you intended, but the wording of your posts indicate you feel a certain way and the rest of us should do the same.  Apologies if that’s not your intent, and I respect your right not to want to go, but I don’t think it’s a majority view at all.

I go back to my original point. Society hasn’t stopped. Pubs will remain open. Shops will remain open. People are working. Let the game go ahead if it’s reasonable security wise and those who don’t want to go have the option to stay away. I don’t see what the problem with that is.

Respectfully I would suggest the majority are grieving right now. 

If the game goes ahead then personally myself I will feel as if I'm forced to go because I've got a ticket. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to feel that way. 

I think the biggest consideration would actually be security. 

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Like it or not, the queen was our head of state for 70 years and she held a special place in the majority of people's lives. 

We will never see anything like this in our life times. We are living through history in real time. 

By the same token you are trying to force people to go to football matches who would probably rather not. 

Changing the status quo *because* the Queen passed away is de facto enforced mourning as it takes away free choice.

No one is being forced to go to football, so it’s a moot point.

Nobody is forcing anyone to go to matches if they’re on. Nobody forced you to turn on the Man U and West Ham games last night but you did, even though tributes weren’t being shown to a monarch who had a remarkable life and reign.

By contrast, if postponed, people are being forced to stop normal activities because of “mourning”

Can you not see the difference?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

How are people ‘forced’ to go to football matches ?

If you turn on any media , you will feel guilty , that you are not dressed all in black with head bowed

Personally , I don’t want that for a prolonged period , I really don’t think it’s healthy

• Like 3

Its about having the choice to mourn how you see appropriate. I think having that choice is what people are wishing for as we are after all living in 2022 and not the post war 50’s as somebody else quite rightly pointed out.

Yes we all agree that we are living through history and its an incredibly sad time for the nation but if you or anyone else wants to mourn then i respect that. You can stay home for the next few days and watch the endless tributes and other things that will no doubt be all over the BBC etc etc. 

Nobody is trying to force anyone to do anything, quite the opposite in fact. Its about choice IMO.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

This is extremely sad news , and I had great respect for Queen Elizabeth in particular, and although not a great ‘Royalist’ ,  I like tradition 

But an enforced 10 days of mourning is , in my personal opinion , not what is needed 

Many people are finding life difficult post co-vid , and with the cost of living 

I won’t be alone in having lost loved ones in difficult circumstances and the deep sadness that brings.

Many will find the overt mourning across all media , difficult , merely rekindling sadness

I have a personal view that , as when anyone passes, we should have a balance of respect , mourning , and also a celebration of their life.

Continuing with ‘normal’ life , at least in part , is not , in any way , disrespectful

There are many ways of showing respect

I can fully understand protocols and appropriate respect immediately post her passing , and for her funeral but a prolonged period of anyone in the media frightened to even mention sport , or normal life , in case they are seen as disrespectful isn’t right IMHO

I think togetherness and some aspects of normality actually helps many people at these times , 

RIP Ma’am 

This hits the right tone for me. As I've said earlier the Queen was a remarkable women who, whatever life through at her, never shirked from a sense of duty and loyalty and service to the nation, the British people and the Commonwealth. Right up to the end she was working, never stopping. I find it somewhat ironic therefore that in her memory the nation comes to a halt. I would rather honour her by following her example and carrying on. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bris Red said:

Its about having the choice to mourn how you see appropriate. I think having that choice is what people are wishing for as we are after all living in 2022 and not the post war 50’s as somebody else quite rightly pointed out.

Yes we all agree that we are living through history and its an incredibly sad time for the nation but if you or anyone else wants to mourn then i respect that. You can stay home for the next few days and watch the endless tributes and other things that will no doubt be all over the BBC etc etc. 

Nobody is trying to force anyone to do anything, quite the opposite in fact. Its about choice IMO.

Would you extend the same choice to players, ground staff, transport workers, people in hospitality etc etc? Or should they all be working so that you can go to football?

2 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Would you extend the same choice to players, ground staff, transport workers, people in hospitality etc etc? Or should they all be working so that you can go to football?

Why shouldn't they have to work?

I'm having to work today, and so is everybody else.

• Like 2