IGNORED

Is it Time for Semenyo to start??

Redtrojan

This season has been great so far.

Semenyo is our biggest financial asset and I was delighted we were able to keep him.He has been coming back from injury but now is fully fit.He is scoring great goals.Another last night and all from the bench.

I think it’s time for him to start.Kane,Salah,Haarland etc don’t come on as impact players and I believe Semenyo is our best striker (although Conway has done well this year).

Rather than him chipping in with late goals ,with him starting we could be well on top by the break.

I truly believe we have a shout at promotion this year.Norwich will be right up there and we outplayed them for considerable lengths of time last night despite gifting them a two goal lead.

I know the defence needs to tighten up ,but believe starting Semenyo is also part of the puzzle.

Anyway we are 4-1 for the win at Burnley on Saturday,got to be worth a small punt.

Loving the football again.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Redtrojan said:

Semenyo is our biggest financial asset and I was delighted we were able to keep him.He has been coming back from injury but now is fully fit.He is scoring great goals.Another last night and all from the bench.

I think it’s time for him to start.Kane,Salah,Haarland etc don’t come on as impact players and I believe Semenyo is our best striker (although Conway has done well this year).

Rather than him chipping in with late goals ,with him starting we could be well on top by the break.

I truly believe we have a shout at promotion this year.Norwich will be right up there and we outplayed them for considerable lengths of time last night despite gifting them a two goal lead.

I know the defence needs to tighten up ,but believe starting Semenyo is also part of the puzzle.

Anyway we are 4-1 for the win at Burnley on Saturday,got to be worth a small punt.

You can’t drop Conway he’s scoring for fun, can you drop Wells when he’s such a good foil for Conway?  Who would be a manager!

• Like 3

It's a difficult one

I agree with many of the comments above

Cannot drop Conway whilst he is scoring so many

Wells and Conway are a great partnership

Wells is chipping in with goals and assists

We go more long ball when Semenyo plays

But

He is our best striker

Importantly we also need to protect his financial value and three months off the bench is not going to help that

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Redtrojan said:

Did we outplay them? We played quite well, especially for the second part of the first half, but they sat back at 2-0. 
When it was 2-1 and 3-2 in the second half, we barely created anything. They sat in and tried to hit us on the break. There’s more than one way to win.
The way we see the game can often be about expectation: Norwich were expected to have a lot of the ball and attack a lot. They didn’t. But they still won the game. Home fans get nervous when their team is defending but how often did we look like scoring when there was one goal in the game? 

But Semenyo’s return to the starting line-up can’t be far away. We might need to freshen up on Saturday with the absurd schedule.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

I wouldn’t be changing our strikers at this stage - they deserve the shirt, based on performances (which is what Nige bases his teams on).

If Nige truly picks the team based on performance then Naismith will get dropped. Don't think that will happen. So I am not sure this is totally the case. 

It's the perfect scenario for us currently.

Conway and Wells are both bang in form, and although he's back fit, it allows Semenyo to fully get up to speed and reduce the chances of the injury re-occuring. 

He missed pre-season, and has the chance to re-build himself at a sensible pace. How many times in the past have we put them back in too early and they get injured again?

I have no doubt he will get back into the starting 11, and stay there. 

Let's enjoy the options we have available to us. We are very lucky with the options we have. 

• Like 2

Don’t see how you can break up Conway and Wells at the minute. It is a true partnership. Wells heavily involved in both goals. Tommy always in between the goalposts. I love Semenyo and when he picks up the ball you just feel something positive will happen. 

It is not a conundrum but could be frustrating to AS. That is how it is though. He just needs to keep impacting games from the bench for  now. 

21 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

If Nige truly picks the team based on performance then Naismith will get dropped. Don't think that will happen. So I am not sure this is totally the case. 

That depends on what he is looking for from Naismith. If he is looking for that ability to bring the ball out then maybe that's enough to keep his place.

40 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Naismith its playing well and his performances are good! Just his little brain farts that causes goals that aren't.

• Like 1

Agree with @Robbored, currently you can’t drop Wells or Conway. Semenyo as a sub, mid way through the second half, should work perfectly.

I can’t remember the players involved, but there was a spell under LJ where we were playing a very settled side and winning regularly and we’d always, pretty much without fail, take one striker off at 60-70 mins and replace them with another. And usually get another goal!

The problem for me at the moment is that if we do this when we’re behind then all too often we change our style of play, stick 4 up front and start hoofing it. Doesn’t work, and doesn’t suit Semenyo either. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pezo said:

That depends on what he is looking for from Naismith. If he is looking for that ability to bring the ball out then maybe that's enough to keep his place.

Not knocking Naismith’s ability in that respect, and I do enjoy what he does well. BUT, I really can’t believe that is principally what NP (a defender by trade) is looking for from his central defender, over and above an ability to defend! 

• Like 3

Agree with all above that you cannot drop Conway and Wells with how efficient we have been up front, and how effective Semenyo is from the bench against tiring defences.

However, rotation will need to come into this at some point. Conway from what I’ve seen has an incredible work rate. The worst thing we could do is let him get burnt out starting 3 times in 7 days frequently. Semenyo is hardly a bad option to bring in just to freshen things up for a match. 

I imagine Conway will be swapped for Semenyo when starting 1 of the next 2 games and definitely for cup games. 

However, I know Nige was imploring the Ghana manager to manage Semenyo’s fitness well when speaking on Radio Bristol before last night’s game. So maybe we will not see Semenyo starting games until after the international break. Seems that Nigel feels he still needs to be eased into it given his injuries. 

Edited by marcofisher
  • Like 1

Our forward line is not broken. Right now it works fine. If I remember correctly Conway got one chance and scored. Semenyo got one chance and also scored. Our problem is Naismith having huge lapses in concentration and  decision making. We also need to get stronger in our own penalty area and not lose possession with telegraphed and stray passes 

However if we can cut these things out or at least down we will be challenging at the right end. 

The look of total relief on their managers face and his conversation with Pearson at the end said everything. He knew we were a mile better than them in most areas, but are prone to u11s mistakes and weak defending. As a bloke said on another thread, right now we have no one who can step in, so those in the shirt have to step up. 

I don’t think he’ll start until after the international break. If we start him on Saturday, that’s sending a message to the Ghana manager that he’s ready to start games.

As @marcofisher said above, Pearson’s been very vocal about how he wants Ghana to ease Semenyo back in. Can’t see him doing anything that would jeopardise that.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I would expect Scott to command a higher transfer fee than Semenyo.

He will do as he's younger and his contract length is greater. If Antoines contract was longer then it would be pretty close due to his goals and assists record over the last 12 months or so.

As for Scott though i genuinely dont think ive ever seen a player like him playing for us, his ability on the ball when dribbling is unbelievable. There was a moment when he went down the left last night and rolled his studs over the ball before whipping a cross in with his weaker foot that was like watching a top level PL winger let alone a young central midfield in his 2nd season at this level, that along with his passing and tackling abilities he really is a joy to watch. Surely we are looking at £30 -35m when he does move?

Edited by Dolman_Stand

At the risk of opening an event horizon and being consumed in the fires of hell.....could Antoine come in for Andi?

Andi hasn't looked the sharpest in the last few games and Antoine could play a similar 10 role, but with a more powerful punch - if he can tweak that first touch.

"Is the getaway car ready, driver?"

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Dolman_Stand said:

He will do as he's younger and his contract length is greater. If Antoines contract was longer then it would be pretty close due to his goals and assists record over the last 12 months or so.

As for Scott though i genuinely dont think ive ever seen a player like him playing for us, his ability on the ball when dribbling is unbelievable. There was a moment when he went down the left last night and rolled his studs over the ball before whipping a cross in with his weaker foot that was like watching a top level PL winger let alone a young central midfield in his 2nd season at this level, that along with his passing and tackling abilities he really is a joy to watch. Surely we are looking at £30 -35m when he does move?

I bet there were a fair few Premier League representatives last night

Scott was sumptuous, the Norwich fans drooling about him , he’s hot property and we need to be strong and absolutely maximise any move financially

Antoine is still to some degree ‘raw talent’ , improving but still raw with mouthwatering assets , if anything holds him back for / at the top level , IMHO it would be his first touch , Tommy’s , Nahkis is much better , it’s the most obvious thing he could do with improving , I think he’d get the ball pinched off him a lot at Premier League Level at this moment

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I would expect Scott to command a higher transfer fee than Semenyo.

Strikers nearly always cost more than midfielders. It's not always logical, because we can all name great midfielders who have been absolutely critical to their team's success, but it does seem the way of the world. If Semenyo keeps scoring, I reckon he'll go for more than Scott, even though he's older. 

4 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

As others have said, there's a real lack of options at the moment here.

3 hours ago, grifty said:

Naismith its playing well and his performances are good! Just his little brain farts that causes goals that aren't.

His little brain farts are proving very costly, though.

2 hours ago, mozo said:

Clearly Wells and Conway have been a great partnership, but do we need a game to see if Semenyo and Conway could be an even better pairing?

Why Semenyo and Conway and not Semenyo and Wells?  That's the conundrum.  To fit AS into the starting line up you need to break up a partnership that is reaping rewards left right and centre.  Which one could/would you drop and why? 

1 hour ago, Dolman_Stand said:

It needs to be noted that it's actually only over the last 9 months.  Up until Christmas 2021 he was nothing more than an intriguing prospect. And then it clicked for him.  I personally think Scott's value is far in excess of Semenyo's.

Being 'Devils advocate' for the moment, would Semenyo be as effective starting a game, when his opponents are as fresh as he is? Older OTIBers will remember David Fairclough,  the original supersub, who scored for fun, but only when he was brought on mid second half.

Mind you, I do agree with the previous comment that changing our style to 'lump' the ball forward once he was brought on would seem to be counter productive.

He will need to start at some point, when injuries/loss of form/Suspensions kick in later in the season. All the while the starting line up continue to deliver then 'don't fix wot ain't broke!'

5 hours ago, Redtrojan said:

NP Obviously knows best.........but considering the short gap between fixtures, it could be an idea to start with "The Beast" and give Tommy a rest on the bench?

• Like 1