IGNORED

did you enjoy Subbuteo?

Never to the dark side

1 hour ago, spudski said:

My Grandfather and father both attended Speedway at Knowle. They said it was very popular with good size crowds. Grandad met Laurel and Hardy there just after the war when they visited. 

Here's some action from Knowle.

Read about Laurel and Hardy attending the speedway. Apparently they fitted it in between shows when at the Hippodrome.

• Like 2

On 22/09/2022 at 10:01, spudski said:

This reminds me of when I converted my Subbuteo 5aside pitch that had thick cardboard surround, into a speedway track ?

Used the fine dust like stuff that they use for Model Railways for the track. Stuck it down and a little left on top loose. Painted the white inner line and starting gate. 

We used the Britain's model Speedway riders. Which came in all black leathers. We used to paint up different leathers with Matt humbrol paint. Based on actual riders of the time. This was when Bristol Bulldog's raced at Eastville on a Friday night. I used to go every week with Dad and friends. Dad had a friend who worked in the pits, who'd let me in to get all the riders autographs. I digress...

We marked the inside white line in sections and moved the riders with dice throws. Heat leaders would get +1 added to the roll value, middle order riders the value of the dice throw, and reserve riders the roll value less 1. This method gave surprisingly realistic results. We'd meet up after school, have race meetings, keep a programme, rider averages, league table etc. It was brilliant fun. 

Then when you ' bought' a new rider, you'd place plastic rider in meths, strip off paint, and repaint into his new leathers.

The detail we went into was ridiculous. ??

And as you'd expect we'd do similar with Football Subbuteo leagues. 

On rainy days after school it kept us entertained.

If dry, we'd be out playing footy or having cycle speedway races...street leagues. ??

All this whilst playing league footy on a weekend for local club,  school team footy and Rugger, and Junior Golf at local club.

I loved my childhood 

Simple times I wish I could do again.

The imagination of children is amazing. My friend Ian designed and built a Railway Building game for England, Scotland and Wales made of a map showing all  towns and cities superimposed with octagonal grids, where you built lines and chose the direction of building by choosing one of the 8 sides of the hexagon. Towns and cities even had some sort of relative weighting for population size which we got, I think, from a big old AA Road Atlas/Travel Guide. The only downside was that to achieve the fidelity needed, the map ended up roughly the size of his living room!   

5 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

The imagination of children is amazing. My friend Ian designed and built a Railway Building game for England, Scotland and Wales made of a map showing all  towns and cities superimposed with octagonal grids, where you built lines and chose the direction of building by choosing one of the 8 sides of the hexagon. Towns and cities even had some sort of relative weighting for population size which we got, I think, from a big old AA Road Atlas/Travel Guide. The only downside was that to achieve the fidelity needed, the map ended up roughly the size of his living room!   

Indeed we all had so much imagination. Is it something a bit lost these days?

I've had people say Subbuteo doesn't really replicate football...this is where you need 'Imagination'.

I know a bloke who still runs a solo league. Still writes down the results, puts numbers on the bases, keeps a record of who scores, keeps league tables, done old school in exercise books. He's kept doing it since he was a kid.

His wife has just accepted that's his thing.

He had a stressful job, so it was pure escapism for him. Even commentators when he's playing :laugh:...it's quite amusing to witness, punk music on in background, beer in hand, flicking and commentating. 

Pure Imagination and escapism reliving his youth.

4 hours ago, spudski said:

Indeed we all had so much imagination. Is it something a bit lost these days?

I've had people say Subbuteo doesn't really replicate football...this is where you need 'Imagination'.

I know a bloke who still runs a solo league. Still writes down the results, puts numbers on the bases, keeps a record of who scores, keeps league tables, done old school in exercise books. He's kept doing it since he was a kid.

His wife has just accepted that's his thing.

He had a stressful job, so it was pure escapism for him. Even commentators when he's playing :laugh:...it's quite amusing to witness, punk music on in background, beer in hand, flicking and commentating. 

Pure Imagination and escapism reliving his youth.

I used to keep the ‘tabs’ from the Shoot football league tables and would draw the clubs from a bag ( my daps bag) for the FA cup . The scores were obtained by a roll of the dice .Sometimes an exciting 6-6 draw needed a replay. 
One Christmas I was spoiled by my Nan who bought me the game in the photo. I spent hours playing it.

A mate of mine had Casdon Soccer with little dials for moving the ball.

63C9197C-0A3F-4DDA-82E9-A47F4109A6A1.jpeg

• Like 3

On 22/09/2022 at 00:19, hantsred said:

I didn't have subbuteo but had a version of a football game...dont know what the game was called (and dont think it was the super striker game mentioned above) where you would pull back the spring loaded leg of the player and get some pretty good kicks. Any ideas? All I remember is that if you tried to get too much out of the spring leg it would pop out the hip socket. I remember always gluing players back together as well.

Answering my own question but after a bit of google research it turns out it was called Big League (by Chad Valley) - clearly very niche compared to Subbuteo

Playing pieces