IGNORED

Changing Bristol

Roger Red Hat

5 hours ago, TomF said:

There is a video of the bond buildings being blown up somewhere on YouTube.  Remember watching it from the railway bridge 

It might be my memory playing tricks but I`m convinced we were at AG that day queuing up for tickets for something or other - the Walsall playoff maybe or a Freight Rover final - and heard the explosion on our way back down the A38.

Stolen from Facebook:

Br6ekF1.jpg

Flying monsters…………

Looking along St Augustine’s Reach towards the City Centre and the tower of St Stephen’s Church from a viewpoint next to the Watershed.

‘Then’ photo, taken on the 7th July 1932 and AI coloured and first posted on another Bristol FB group by Nick Howes, shows the huge German airship, the Graf Zeppelin, flying over Bristol.

At almost 800ft long it truly was a monster in the skies. My father who was seven at the time can remember seeing this, in his words, ‘huge silver sausage gliding slowly and silently over the city’.

The Graf Zeppelin toured around the UK and flew over most of our major cities and we later found out that the airship was actually photographing Britain’s dock installations and infrastructure, the photos of which were to prove very useful to the Luftwaffe in the Blitz of the Second World War.

‘Now’ photo, taken by me a few days ago, shows the same scene some 90 or so years later in modern times.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great shot, thanks to a drone. I did try to go up the bridge on a similar foggy day last year or so but ended up wandering around the Clannage and Cumberland Basin instead. Always thought it would be a good time to be there when the mists rolled underneath.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

The thought often crosses my mind: in a century or so will the people look at our twenty-first century architecture and revere it in the way we revere the nineteenth and eighteenth? Then I wake up.

They almost certainly will, people are already loving the 60s concrete monstrosities.

https://www.ft.com/content/92ba942c-5ac9-11e5-9846-de406ccb37f2

Things like the Eiffel Tower were hated when they were first built. It's impossible to tell at the time what people will like in a generation or two.

Edited by BS2 Red

16 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

They almost certainly will, people are already loving the 60s concrete monstrosities.

https://www.ft.com/content/92ba942c-5ac9-11e5-9846-de406ccb37f2

Things like the Eiffel Tower were hated when they were first built. It's impossible to tell at the time what people will like in a generation or two.

Good point. Some Brutalist buildings are really nice. The South Bank complex for example is somewhere I really loved when I lived in the capital. Imposing, weird, other-worldly, host to some fantastic events and markets, plus a decent detour for a quick short prior to facing the hell that was Waterloo. 

The then-Prince Charles might've hated it, but here was what the area looked like before. Utter bobbins.

WWII bomb damaged buildings on the South Bank along the river Thames,  central London. Motorists of the day use the area to park their cars,  during the late 1950s or early 60s

On 30/11/2022 at 09:31, Red-Robbo said:

Good point. Some Brutalist buildings are really nice. The South Bank complex for example is somewhere I really loved when I lived in the capital. Imposing, weird, other-worldly, host to some fantastic events and markets, plus a decent detour for a quick short prior to facing the hell that was Waterloo. 

The then-Prince Charles might've hated it, but here was what the area looked like before. Utter bobbins.

WWII bomb damaged buildings on the South Bank along the river Thames,  central London. Motorists of the day use the area to park their cars,  during the late 1950s or early 60s

Those cars though.......?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

When was that top photo taken? I don't remember that semi-circular concrete area in the park behind the open end? (bottom left of the pic) 

Not sure, I’m sure someone else can be more accurate, but I’m going to guess around 1991? Based on the open end still being there, but the East End being sheeted in red.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

When was that top photo taken? I don't remember that semi-circular concrete area in the park behind the open end? (bottom left of the pic) 

7 hours ago, nebristolred said:

Not sure, I’m sure someone else can be more accurate, but I’m going to guess around 1991? Based on the open end still being there, but the East End being sheeted in red.

I think (IIRC from a previous thread) it was part of the old lido that used to be there.

• Like 1

Beat me to it, exAM!

The lido was towards the western side of Greville Smyth park, close to the modern A370 runs today. I've marked up a map from the very same Know Your Place website: the City ground in red, the park in green and the lido in blue, viewed roughly in the same direction as the aerial photo:

GSparksmall.png.cc004d43ae7f98b627a5b7d82f16d31b.png

The park has had many phases when it was planted, then paved over and back again over the years.

Edited by Erithacus
typo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Beat me to it, exAM!

The lido was towards the western side of Greville Smyth park, close to the modern A370 runs today. I've marked up a map from the very same Know Your Place website: the City ground in red, the park in green and the lido in blue. viewed rougly in the same direction as the aerial photo:

GSparksmall.png.cc004d43ae7f98b627a5b7d82f16d31b.png

The park has had many phases when it was planted, then paved over and back again over the years.

Know Your place is a fabulous website!