IGNORED

Changing Bristol

Roger Red Hat

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

Talented family...his great grandson is Tim Friese Greene who pioneered much of the music of Talk Talk with Mark Hollis.

Another fantastic building that was demolished was the Dutch House on the corner of wine street.

The Dutch House - Bristol

I wish that was still there, I'd love to actually see it.

• Like 1

On 20/10/2022 at 12:52, spudski said:

Talented family...his great grandson is Tim Friese Greene who pioneered much of the music of Talk Talk with Mark Hollis.

Another fantastic building that was demolished was the Dutch House on the corner of wine street.

The Dutch House - Bristol

To be fair to the City Council (and I'm not all that often) I think it was the Luftwaffe that demolished that beauty. My Dad was firewatching that night in Corn Street and always swore that Marvin was nowhere near it!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TomF said:

Enjoy (click on photo): 

Bristol Before Your Time

Proof positive to the rose-tinted glasses brigade that the 50s, 60s and 70s were pretty grim. 

I was born in 1964, but when I was a young kid there were still places where bombed buildings had not been replaced since 1940. 

• Like 3

Echo those thoughts, RR, It is fair to say that the scars of war were still very much part of the fabric, both physical and social, even into the 1980s.

Thanks for that link TomF - some really great photos in that album. It's difficult to realise just how much the place has altered. The pace of change is getting faster with every passing year and it is chastening to look at those images. I also like how many are just 'ordinary' streets, not just the big cityscapes or the typical historic stuff. The street where we live is just as fascinating to look back at.

• Like 1

On 25/10/2022 at 13:38, Red-Robbo said:

Proof positive to the rose-tinted glasses brigade that the 50s, 60s and 70s were pretty grim. 

I was born in 1964, but when I was a young kid there were still places where bombed buildings had not been replaced since 1940. 

Yes, I’m the same age and although I’d forgotten a lot of those places one area I always remember and compare is the harbour side.

I can remember very well walking from the centre to Ashton Gate in the first division days along either side of the harbour. Lots of derelict buildings, the occasional business shipyard still working but mainly acres of grim wasteland usually on a grim winters day.

When I last done it for the Sunderland game in August, beautiful sunny day, packed bars and restaurants, posh appartements and lots of water sport activities going on, it felt like I was in a different country to the one I remember in the 70s. The Sunderland fans thought they were on their summer holidays, taking photos and enjoying a great day out.

I guess there are still midlands and northern cities that still have acres of wasteland, I’ve seen plenty on my City away day travels and often reminds me how Bristol used to be a few decades ago. The most recent was Birmingham from the centre to the ground, miles of demolished old buildings but I understand it’s being regenerated with HS2 and a tram system. 

• Like 1