IGNORED

Changing Bristol

Roger Red Hat

On 08/12/2022 at 10:42, CyderInACan said:

I don't remember that semi-circular concrete area in the park behind the open end? (bottom left of the pic) 

The concrete semi circular area was where the kids play area was. It had the swings, roundabout, climbing frame & slider. Solid concrete floor no soft rubberised floor in those days!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 19/12/2022 at 13:05, Reigate Red said:

The concrete semi circular area was where the kids play area was. It had the swings, roundabout, climbing frame & slider. Solid concrete floor no soft rubberised floor in those days!

In the park in Backwell, the game used to be, to be swung around as fast as possible by others on the roundabout then lean from the running board thingy and try to pick up a matchbox (always loads of those lying about in the 70s) with your mouth.

A half-inch miscalculation and your mum would have to book an emergency dentist appointment!

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

In the park in Backwell, the game used to be, to be swung around as fast as possible by others on the roundabout then lean from the running board thingy and try to pick up a matchbox (always loads of those lying about in the 70s) with your mouth.

A half-inch miscalculation and your mum would have to book an emergency dentist appointment!

We used to get about three of us on bikes to fasten a pole from the bike to the roundabout and see how fast we could get it going and someone else would try and jump off it when we got it to full speed avoiding poles and bikes.

Anyone remember trying to get a swing to go fully over the top of the crossbar and back down again while someone was on one and their mates pushed as hard as they could? I don`t think I ever saw it done.

It`s a wonder we survived really - and that was before we all got 50cc mopeds!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

A friend of mine went flying off a roundabout when we were kids. He scratched a lot of skin off one side of his face, the other side was fine.

Decades later, we still call him Two-Face.

• Haha 4

37 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

We used to get about three of us on bikes to fasten a pole from the bike to the roundabout and see how fast we could get it going and someone else would try and jump off it when we got it to full speed avoiding poles and bikes.

Anyone remember trying to get a swing to go fully over the top of the crossbar and back down again while someone was on one and their mates pushed as hard as they could? I don`t think I ever saw it done.

It`s a wonder we survived really - and that was before we all got 50cc mopeds!

Yep, Robin Page accomplished it in Backwell Park circa 1974. 

We could never get the bastard thing down so the swing could work properly after that.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yep, Robin Page accomplished it in Backwell Park circa 1974. 

We could never get the bastard thing down so the swing could work properly after that.

you never knew what you were going to get on the old slides either, one day you could hardly get going,another just fly off the end. 

can you imagine some of todays kids flying round on ap50s or like me,an fs1e.  i cant, not alive still anyway, the old gileras would fly aswell if they were on song,just a pig to start with the pedals

• Like 1