IGNORED

FGR after Tinns?

CyderInACan

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I am sure Nigel has contacts in the game that would do a good job here, and if the move was amicable it could be great to have a someone so close by with a good knowledge of our players for loan purposes.

Also, without wishing to be over critical of Tinns, some of the recent loans that have been arranged haven't worked out so well. We have Will Buse sitting on the bench at Yeovil when he could have had another seasons experience at Taunton. Idehen and Taylor not getting much football at Carlisle or Cheltenham. The lads at Yate don't seem to be getting any benefit from that spell, then you have Josh Owers playing at what appears to be a very low level considering he was supposed to be the next one into the first team squad. 

Maybe we need a freshening up of that area, someone with different contacts and ideas?

Tinnion is very good about being selective and focusing in on those who are going to be the ‘real’ one for the first team. He’s fairly cut throat in that respect, but same as any job I suppose you need to focus more on the proper talent you believe in. 

Tbh I felt he kinda had to be that way given the stockpiling of players LJ/MA created left him with so many to get out of the building. For where we’re going, we will need the Conways/Bells/Scotts of this world to be near enough good enough for a first team push at late teens/early 20s. Tommy & Sam are the same age as Josh Owers (who I’ve never thought stood out honestly) and their first team exposure is worlds apart really, that’s just an ability & maybe slight favouritism because of that rather than poor work from Tinnion. 

that said, I’ve always been a bit more cautious on the seemingly ‘untouchable’ job he’s doing in some peoples eyes. Semenyo & Scott are obvious highlights, but were actively recommended to us by their managers rather than people being out and about and spotting them play. Very different things

• Like 3

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Tinnion is very good about being selective and focusing in on those who are going to be the ‘real’ one for the first team. He’s fairly cut throat in that respect, but same as any job I suppose you need to focus more on the proper talent you believe in. 

Tbh I felt he kinda had to be that way given the stockpiling of players LJ/MA created left him with so many to get out of the building. For where we’re going, we will need the Conways/Bells/Scotts of this world to be near enough good enough for a first team push at late teens/early 20s. Tommy & Sam are the same age as Josh Owers (who I’ve never thought stood out honestly) and their first team exposure is worlds apart really, that’s just an ability & maybe slight favouritism because of that rather than poor work from Tinnion. 

that said, I’ve always been a bit more cautious on the seemingly ‘untouchable’ job he’s doing in some peoples eyes. Semenyo & Scott are obvious highlights, but were actively recommended to us by their managers rather than people being out and about and spotting them play. Very different things

Similar to my point above. We don’t know enough to have a definite opinion.  I do know though that in work, things can go wrong that aren’t in your control but blame will be given nonetheless, so if you can take credit for a bit of fortune then make sure you do so!

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Is that down to him though? I thought he was more concerned with the welfare and progress of talent once they get here? Isn't scouting (or the lack of it) a different area?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Is that down to him though? I thought he was more concerned with the welfare and progress of talent once they get here? Isn't scouting (or the lack of it) a different area?

He’s academy director now, not sure what he was at the time, so by default would cover talent ID in some way - anyway won’t go into that again as I’ve moaned about that enough on here!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He’s academy director now, not sure what he was at the time, so by default would cover talent ID in some way - anyway won’t go into that again as I’ve moaned about that enough on here!

He was loans manager at the time Scott & Semenyo joined us.  I'm sure I remember reading that they both came from contacts and relationships that Tins had built though.

I don't think he sees his future in football management and I struggle to see how a director of football role at a club who, lets be honest, are not going to progress that much would be appealing to him.  He speaks with real passion and genuine excitement about the players coming through that he knows will make it, and as evidenced by his football academies in Spain around 10-15 years ago, has a genuine desire to progress young players.  He loves the club, irrespective of where he comes from and he can make a real difference here.  I would be surprised to see him go anywhere else.  Sometimes a job and a person just marry up beautifully and that seems to be what's happening here with the academy.

Of course, this time tomorrow I could be eating my words and being shown up for having zero ability to read the situation! ?

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Not so sure...

But fried cabbage,,now we're talking!

There is something special about the sound and smell of Sunday’s left over roast potatoes being sautéed with onion and the left over cabbage, finished with the fat from the bacon gently frying alongside.

I sometimes wonder whether my mother used to go to all that time and expense of preparing Sunday roast, just for the pleasure it gave my father and I the following day as we sat down to enjoy our Bubble and Squeak.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I sometimes wonder whether my mother used to go to all that time and expense of preparing Sunday roast, just for the pleasure it gave my father and I the following day as we sat down to enjoy our Bubble and Squeak.

Bubble and Squeak - legendary partnership, right up there with Taylor and Turner.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

And Carlisle don't seem to use substitutions unless they are forced to, which is very odd in the modern game.

Just found out my exes sister is with going out with our Duncan, so he’s not got an attitude but very cocky it seems 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

There is something special about the sound and smell of Sunday’s left over roast potatoes being sautéed with onion and the left over cabbage, finished with the fat from the bacon gently frying alongside.

The Sunday roast provided so much food for the rest of the week from the leftovers. ?

• Like 2

On 05/10/2022 at 23:46, Port Said Red said:

Also, without wishing to be over critical of Tinns, some of the recent loans that have been arranged haven't worked out so well. We have Will Buse sitting on the bench at Yeovil when he could have had another seasons experience at Taunton. Idehen and Taylor not getting much football at Carlisle or Cheltenham. The lads at Yate don't seem to be getting any benefit from that spell, then you have Josh Owers playing at what appears to be a very low level considering he was supposed to be the next one into the first team squad. 

I believe the likes of Taylor was never planned to get much game time, purely to be around a men's squad, something he'd be limited too here. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

We need to get the builders back to finish that retaining wall.......................................

Was my first thought!!!

34 minutes ago, phantom said:

Good to see but he was never leaving us 

We're literally his dream job and his interaction with Pearson etc has taken Tins a long time to get this amazing two way trust and understanding 

From the outside looking in, it certainly appears that way.

On 05/10/2022 at 22:13, And Its Smith said:

Why?

Ask yourself this.
You’re the director at a very high end academy, in the second tier of English football.  With best set up outside the premier league.  The academy is starting to turn out players for the 1st team with potential to go on to promise land.  Yes , you don’t have to up sticks and move your family to a different part of the country.  Although, You did not leave Bristol City as a player, when you could of easily played for mid to bottom end premier league team.

Id be shocked if he took the role at FGR.

1 hour ago, Bodiesaffer said:

Ask yourself this.
You’re the director at a very high end academy, in the second tier of English football.  With best set up outside the premier league.  The academy is starting to turn out players for the 1st team with potential to go on to promise land.  Yes , you don’t have to up sticks and move your family to a different part of the country.  Although, You did not leave Bristol City as a player, when you could of easily played for mid to bottom end premier league team.

Id be shocked if he took the role at FGR.

Well he’s already said he’s staying but I wouldn’t say there was ‘no chance’ something like this could happen. People back themselves to move to a better paid job with more responsibility quite often 

15 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Well he’s already said he’s staying but I wouldn’t say there was ‘no chance’ something like this could happen. People back themselves to move to a better paid job with more responsibility quite often 

And some people are just happy and content in the job they’re in, even though they know they have the ability to move up the ladder.

I would imagine tinnion feels his current position ticks every career and life box…..that means a lot to some people. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

And some people are just happy and content in the job they’re in, even though they know they have the ability to move up the ladder.

I would imagine tinnion feels his current position ticks every career and life box…..that means a lot to some people. 

Completely agree.  I’ve not disputed that.