IGNORED

Andy King

GrahamC

1 minute ago, sglosbcfc said:

I would say MOTM tonight, did a great job in both positions.

Got away with one slip up, but considering the way we play, that's not bad.

Not often mentioned, but he is one of our own too.

He is a fan, he is a Red.

Well done, Andy tonight. Showed great maturity.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I would say MOTM tonight, did a great job in both positions.

I thought Atkinson. However on reflection you have a decent case. 

26 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Got away with one slip up, but considering the way we play, that's not bad.

Not often mentioned, but he is one of our own too.

He is a fan, he is a Red.

Well done, Andy tonight. Showed great maturity.

The bloke has several promotion medals and a premier league winners medal. Class act. Completely agree with you. He needs a song. Hopefully @Robboredcan come up with something 

25 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Made me laugh to be honest seeing him fill at CB. Was brilliant back there though!

He was. His entire career has been based on fill in roles all over the pitch. Great pro!

25 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yep. And let's face it, that slip was nothing that Naismith hasn't been guilty of several times.

Several times per game and again tonight. 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Haha 2

Gyokeres got the better of him on one notable occasion - and then managed to stuff it up. He wasn't in the form he was on his last visit.

But generally, yes, I agree. A decent game for King. Asked to play in a non-prefered role and kept them out (with a bit of luck).

Vyner is my MOTM however - and if you'd said to me at one stage that I would be saying that any time this season, I'd have laughed my head off.  Wells was decent, without end result too. Ran even more miles than Weimann usually does. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

King did fine replacing Naismith. Certainly felt more solid with him there, rather than an accident waiting to happen which is how many of us seem to feel about Naismith. The question is what we do against Brum on the weekend. Assuming Naismith is unavailable do we continue with King in that role or consider changing things around? Atkinson was my MOTM today. Solid in defence, and great coming forward. Could he perhaps go central and Pring or Tanner come into the defence?

Edited by Dr Balls
Spellings
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Gyokeres got the better of him on one notable occasion - and then managed to stuff it up. He wasn't in the form he was on his last visit.

But generally, yes, I agree. A decent game for King. Asked to play in a non-prefered role and kept them out (with a bit of luck).

Vyner is my MOTM however - and if you'd said to me at one stage that I would be saying that any time this season, I'd have laughed my head off.  Wells was decent, without end result too. Ran even more miles than Weimann usually does. 

Wells worked hard with little success against their defenders weinmann obviously not fit neither williams both have had poor games recently.

Just now, Cityboy1954 said:

Wells worked hard with little success against their defenders weinmann obviously not fit neither williams both have had poor games recently.

I thought Williams wasn't as bad as he had been on the weekend, but, yeah, it isn't really a functioning midfield.  Part of a mf job is getting the ball out of defence and feed the attack, and part is shielding the defence from too many threats.  For the first role, I thought we were hit and miss, the forwards often dropping very deep to pick up the ball, for the latter, there is no MF shield. Whatsoever. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I thought Williams wasn't as bad as he had been on the weekend, but, yeah, it isn't really a functioning midfield.  Part of a mf job is getting the ball out of defence and feed the attack, and part is shielding the defence from too many threats.  For the first role, I thought we were hit and miss, the forwards often dropping very deep to pick up the ball, for the latter, there is no MF shield. Whatsoever. 

Pivot defensive midfielder first needed addition to the the squad 

1 minute ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Pivot defensive midfielder first needed addition to the the squad 

Was very impressed with Vyner tonite. Could he play the DM role I wonder 

Edited by Rocking Red Cyril
Still can't type
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Dasilvas crossing is awful unfortunately we havent got attacking wingbacks as the quality of other clubs thats why the forwards have to drop deep to try and create thier own chances .

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Zak had a good game tonight, apart from…

…virtually every challenge in the air.  He in part allowed Coventry an easy out-ball from their keeper, down the inside left / left wing.  He really needs to impose himself on his opponent, far too often he allows his man to get the optimum position for winning the header…and that exposed King (on the cover) two or three times.  It is so disappointing he doesn’t have this (physicality) in his game, because it really takes away (for me) an otherwise very decent performance.  Anyone in the South Stand advise whether that shot was on target, he caught it sweet.

Also when opponents are hitting an under-pressure clearance, he needs to anticipate better and get in front of his man.

Sorry to be critical, I just find it incredibly frustrating.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Was surprised he started tonight for the first time in a league game since January (when he didn’t manage to last half an hour), he did really well in midfield & although I still didn’t expect him to play the 90, he then did a very decent job as an emergency defender & whilst he appeared to be running through treacle late on, fair play to him, he gave it all he has & was definitely one of our better performers tonight.

Entirely agree. He was looking good in midfield before he had to cover at CB. In his interview after the match he explained that he has been tried at CB in training given the injuries to Kalas and Klose. 

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

…virtually every challenge in the air.  He in part allowed Coventry an easy out-ball from their keeper, down the inside left / left wing.  He really needs to impose himself on his opponent, far too often he allows his man to get the optimum position for winning the header…and that exposed King (on the cover) two or three times.  It is so disappointing he doesn’t have this (physicality) in his game, because it really takes away (for me) an otherwise very decent performance.  Anyone in the South Stand advise whether that shot was on target, he caught it sweet.

Also when opponents are hitting an under-pressure clearance, he needs to anticipate better and get in front of his man.

Completely agree @Davefevs. Every team this season will look to target and isolate Zak based on his percieved lack of physicality.

With Baker gone, Kalas still injured after 7 months, and Klose still unavailable for cough.."personal reasons". We are a soft touch on the right and centre of the defence.

Says a lot about NP's views on the subs tonight, that none of the defensive players on it made it onto the pitch.

NP would rather take a CM there, than a Pring or Tanner into the back 3.

Tough game at the weekend at Brum now. A staging post where we got bullied, and dominated last season in arguably one of our worst performances (after West Brom).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I can't really agree that King was better for our cause tonight. He's slow. He got outpaced by Gyorkeres. He did some good work, but IMO so did Zak - and further upfield than King dare ever venture as well.

I'd like a Kalas/Klose back two, but unfortunately, we can't have that. Tonight, we kept a clean sheet, so I guess any flaws - and all our players have flaws, that's why they are with us - weren't too exposed. 

My main issue is we were formulaic, slow and easy to read. Not entirely the fault of defenders. 

37 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Completely agree @Davefevs. Every team this season will look to target and isolate Zak based on his percieved lack of physicality.

With Baker gone, Kalas still injured after 7 months, and Klose still unavailable for cough.."personal reasons". We are a soft touch on the right and centre of the defence.

Says a lot about NP's views on the subs tonight, that none of the defensive players on it made it onto the pitch.

NP would rather take a CM there, than a Pring or Tanner into the back 3.

Tough game at the weekend at Brum now. A staging post where we got bullied, and dominated last season in arguably one of our worst performances (after West Brom).

And the worry is he signed most of them ie Tanner wilson etc i wonder if hes regretting idehan going out on loan?.

6 hours ago, REDOXO said:

The bloke has several promotion medals and a premier league winners medal. Class act. Completely agree with you. He needs a song. Hopefully @Robboredcan come up with something 

Andy Kings on the bus with Robbored, Robbored, Robbored
Andy Kings on the bus with Robbored
This time, not to the Mem

Too Soon ??

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This is spot on Dave... Zak had a good game. His ball distibution and positioning were both really positive, but his lack of physicality in the one on one situations is a concern.

Sadly, i'm not sure that is something a player can easily improve on. You've either got that in your game or you haven't. Someone like Bailey Wright (similar size to Zak) would run through a wall to get the ball, but Zak doesn't really have that physical intensity in his defending.

Credit where it is due though, his performances have been much better over the last half a dozen games.

I think people are getting a bit carried away here. Undoubtedly King had a good game but it was against Coventry, a bottom of the table team who have only scored 8 goals in 9 games. It’s not his fault Coventry were poor, but poor they were. That said I’d stick with him on Saturday even if Naismith is fit. The real test will be when City have to play against a decent team with some good forwards. 

• Like 1

Got to be honest, I moaned when I saw King named in the team as thought he’d struggle to get about the pitch.  What he lacks in pace is compensated for with his brain and experience as bar one mistake when ball went under his foot, I thought he was superb.  Wouldn’t want him to play CB really but would have no qualms about starting him with Scott on Saturday.  

Bamba still training at club & wonder if we will expedite a short term contract to act as cover as clearly NP doesn’t fancy any of the fringe players. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Might aswell get him back then without Naismith were down to bare bones hes obviously not offering Bamba anything .

If we "get him back" he won't be getting any game time with us either. We wouldn't be able to officially recall him and involve him in first team action until the window opens.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

58 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I think people are getting a bit carried away here. Undoubtedly King had a good game but it was against Coventry, a bottom of the table team who have only scored 8 goals in 9 games. It’s not his fault Coventry were poor, but poor they were. That said I’d stick with him on Saturday even if Naismith is fit. The real test will be when City have to play against a decent team with some good forwards. 

I don't think they were that bad certainly on a par with us and should have won the game.

24 minutes ago, Super said:

I don't think they were that bad certainly on a par with us and should have won the game.

It was as close at times, but was that because Coventry were good or City were poor? Coventry hit the bar, and there were a couple of saves Bentley had to make, but these came from City mistakes.  I think it was one of those games where the stats are misleading. Coventry had ten shots, City nine and City had over 40 crosses into Coventry’s penalty area which sounds like it’s was a good game. The reality was neither team really put consistent  pressure on the opposition goalkeeper. But, it was a point, which is good after 3 defeats 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It was as close at times, but was that because Coventry were good or City were poor? Coventry hit the bar, and there were a couple of saves Bentley had to make, but these came from City mistakes.  I think it was one of those games where the stats are misleading. Coventry had ten shots, City nine and City had over 40 crosses into Coventry’s penalty area which sounds like it’s was a good game. The reality was neither team really put consistent  pressure on the opposition goalkeeper. But, it was a point, which is good after 3 defeats 

It wasn't a good game that's for sure but they were no worse than us.