IGNORED

Who was most skilful?

The Exiled Robin

Might be age, or rose tinted glasses, but the most spectacular bit of skill I can recall was performed by Marco Van Gavin.

89-90 season I think we were playing Huddersfield at the gate late in the season. He turned 3 defenders in the box with a feint and a dummy stepover and turn, which gave him enough room to get a shot away. He didn't score, but the ball fell to Nicky Morgan who did. Think we drew 1-1. We needed the point as God had done his hammy against Crewe and we were struggling to get over the line. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, RedEd73 said:

Might be age, or rose tinted glasses, but the most spectacular bit of skill I can recall was performed by Marco Van Gavin.

89-90 season I think we were playing Huddersfield at the gate late in the season. He turned 3 defenders in the box with a feint and a dummy stepover and turn, which gave him enough room to get a shot away. He didn't score, but the ball fell to Nicky Morgan who did. Think we drew 1-1. We needed the point as God had done his hammy against Crewe and we were struggling to get over the line. 

Yep, Gavin was superb in that season. He waltzed past defenders at will. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GrahamC said:

In terms of impact for us at the highest level Tomlin has a brilliant 18 match loan spell, then a decent 30 odd games in the following season, so I’d say him. In that time he did some absolutely incredible things.

Trundle never did it consistently for us, sadly he was already on the way down when we signed him.

JET was by far my favourite of these 4, but nearly all his best stuff for us was down in League One.

Dziekanowski only actually had about 6 good games for us in his entire career, but this myth has since grown over the years that when he played for us was Lionel Messi or something.

Dziekkanowski came from Celtic  Tomlin jet and Trundle from lower levels il leave it there On the way down .

Edited by Cityboy1954

4 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Skill wise

Goodridge

Jacki

Trundle

Noble 

All outrageously good. 

Finishers 

David Seal - I still don't know how he didn't push on. Most natural goalscorer I've ever seen 

Andy Cole 

Shaun Goater. 

Soren Andersen

Lita

Maynard 

There's loads there too. Good idea for threads. 

Bob Taylor the absolute God of finishing for me. Not sure if he was before your time. 

Totally agree about David Seal though. Absolutely outrageous goals!

The original poster assumes that the most skilful are the ball jugglers, those who can do tricks with a football. David Burnside could qualify as during his early days at WBA, he went on stage in theatres as a ball juggler.

It's a fact that many of those who can do tricks with a football that few can equal are fans favourites. Yet they so infrequently use their skills to benefit the team, those less talented in ball juggling are the players who work hard for the team and should get the glory for creating wins out of nothing or stopping clear-cut scoring chances for opponents.

My list of them is so long so I won't even start.

I'll just pick two from the current squad. Martin and Weimann.

Edited by cidered abroad