IGNORED

Who was most skilful?

The Exiled Robin

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Scott Murray for me - not sure why he’s not on the list.

None of the others did it for me. All one trick Pony’s

Murray was the definition of a one trick pony... He was an extremely effective kick and run played, didn't really have a trick in his locker.

Too young for Jacki but out of the other 3 it's comfortably Tomlin, the other two weren't bad.

Most skillful was Goodridge though, I remember him warming up by lying on his back doing keep ups on his shins, then dribbling past 7 players before smashing it 30 yards over the bar.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

I know it's out of the timescale and memories of your younger days are clouded but maybe some of the even older posters can confirm that Gerry Sharpe and Chris Crowe were incredibly skillful players, and that was often when playing on something like WSM beach with the tide out. In more recent times, I would say Clive Whitehead and Mark Gavin could beat their man at will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me, Jacki was the most skilful, being an international player, although he was in decline when he played for us. I don’t have many clear specific memories of him, but I do remember the excitement of watching him play - even just little things like his control of the ball. 

Out of that list, JET was the most consistent performer for us and a joy to watch. 

Tomlin was amazing on loan and that goal v Huddersfield will live long in the memory. It’s a shame things turned sour.

I was underwhelmed by Trundle. There were some moments of magic, but overall he seemed to struggle - whether it was the step up to the Championship or the way GJ utilised him I don’t know, but we didn’t see the best of him. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Depends how ‘most skilled’ is defined - If that’s defined as doing a few fancy tricks then none of them impressed me.

Scot Murray didn’t do fancy tricks but he got the entire AG on their feet. He’s my second favourite player in all the years I’ve been a City fan.

Skill is defined in coaching as something you can perform on demand. A few tricks and performing inconsistently is not being skillful.

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

JET for me. He was playing a different game to everyone else when on form (and a different game in a bad way when off form!). Of course we were in league one so standard was different to the others. 

Also...who else took a penalty like JET!

Ivan Toney must have watched a few JET pens I reckon.

It’s interesting than three  on the original list  - JET, Tomlin and Trundle - were very inconsistent and never achieved their full potential. On the other hand, Jacki, although he did enjoy a good off field lifestyle, did play for Poland so my vote would go to him. 

Edited by pongo88

1 hour ago, The dastardly red said:

Bit harsh no? 

Not really, the OP said who was “the most skilful” Scott Murray was certainly exciting to watch & very effective but no one who took the time to read his post properly would ever seriously put him in the same category as the 4 mentioned for skill, whatever you think of them.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Personally I wouldn't swap any of those for Alex Scott, he's a far more complete player than any of them. Surprised Bob Taylor missing and Andy Cole both excellent strikers.

Jacki was very good technically but had quiet games where he disappeared, opponents could mark him out of games and he'd lose interest, Tomlin was the same. JET was too good for League 1 but not good enough for the Championship. Trundle only had two or three good games for us otherwise was disappointing.

If you're not including current players then Cole was the best in the last 30 years, went on to play at the top levels both for club and country.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Personally I wouldn't swap any of those for Alex Scott, he's a far more complete player than any of them. Surprised Bob Taylor missing and Andy Cole both excellent strikers.

Jacki was very good technically but had quiet games where he disappeared, opponents could mark him out of games and he'd lose interest, Tomlin was the same. JET was too good for League 1 but not good enough for the Championship. Trundle only had two or three good games for us otherwise was disappointing.

If you're not including current players then Cole was the best in the last 30 years, went on to play at the top levels both for club and country.

All quite possibly true, but that is not what this thread is about.

13 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Why would Bob Taylor be included?

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

Of the 4 I think I would go (in order) - JET, Jacki, Tomlin, Trundle

All had their moments, but JET on his day made everything look effortless and just oozed class from every pore.

Another name to add, jantzen Derrick. Another very gifted player who ultimately didn't fit in.

• Thanks 1

"ON THEIR DAY" is the catch! They were all stupendous on their day - but they could also be incredibly frustrating or even appeared lazy.  I recall watching Jacki at West Ham and he was terrible - but other times he was unbelievable. I will always treasure the magic moments of all these players.

58 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Cole wasn't that skillful in terms of tricks, slick moves or carrying the ball. He knew where the goal was however.

Possibly a candidate for a best 'finisher' thread (which would be interesting).

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Cole wasn't that skillful in terms of tricks, slick moves or carrying the ball. He knew where the goal was however.

Possibly a candidate for a best 'finisher' thread (which would be interesting).

That would have to be Tammy if we were including loanees. To be honest, for all his goals, Cole missed a lot. I think he was forgiven the misses because he was often creating the chances for himself anyway.

Goals to chances ratio, Tammy,  maybe the Goat too. Both played in teams that were not renowned for making chances, but scored over 20 goals.

12 hours ago, The Exiled Robin said:

All classically skilful (if frustrating!) No.10s in most people’s eyes. I love Scott but I wouldn’t put him in this bracket on sheer talent and ability? Pace yep. Finishing yep. Legend yep. But he didn’t have the skill of these imo

Scotty was consistent as well, if not always effective. 

9 hours ago, pongo88 said:

It’s interesting than three  on the original list  - JET, Tomlin and Trundle - were very inconsistent and never achieved their full potential. On the other hand, Jacki, although he did enjoy a good off field lifestyle, did play for Poland so my vote would go to him. 

An unfair comparison as JET, Tomlin and Trundle didn't qualify to play for Poland! :D

From the list:

Jackie

JET

Loan Tomlin

Trundle

Missing from the list - Tinman.  He regularly got people out of his seat just by putting the ball on a sixpence to anyone (usually Murray) who wanted to get on the end of it.  Made his artistry look effortless.

Also Missing from the list: Tiny Penis frequently made me get out of my seat wanting to go home....

The I can't believe he hasn't been mentioned on the list: Super Bas!

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

That would have to be Tammy if we were including loanees. To be honest, for all his goals, Cole missed a lot. I think he was forgiven the misses because he was often creating the chances for himself anyway.

Goals to chances ratio, Tammy,  maybe the Goat too. Both played in teams that were not renowned for making chances, but scored over 20 goals.

Maybe, but Maynard was a great finisher, so too was Baldock (if we leave to one side his 1 on 1 record!).

Throw in a Tony Thorpe, a Goater, a Super Bob and a Lita and you suddenly have a debate on your hands!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Maybe, but Maynard was a great finisher, so too was Baldock (if we leave to one side his 1 on 1 record!).

Throw in a Tony Thorpe, a Goater, a Super Bob and a Lita and you suddenly have a debate on your hands!

Maynard: - Great goalscorer or Scorer of great goals? I know the tap in's are harder to remember, but I think it would be the latter for me. I like your list, pure finishing ability I might add David Seal as well.

• Like 1

Just now, Bristol Rob said:

Maybe it's time for a finishers thread!

If so, few match The Goat for me.

Cole was absolutely brilliant but went through a mini scoring drought for us just before we sold him, I always thought that The Goat would score when clean through & he invariably did.

• Like 1