IGNORED

Step up from League Two

GrahamC

Was chatting with @77 punk at the game in midweek (well, it was pretty dull at times, wasn’t it?) & we were talking about Kane Wilson making the step up of two divisions & clearly finding it tough so far.

We were trying to think of anyone who had made the 2 division leap (so from L2 to Championship) for us & made an immediate impact & could only come up with Albert Adomah who joined from Barnet, & let’s face it, was just brilliant & it appears a one off.

I’m really struggling to identify anyone else, most who have settled in straight away have come up one division from L1 (like Rob Atkinson, for instance) or from L2 when we were a L1 club ourselves, can anyone think of any others?

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Low number of players to look at which will always skew the results.  Sometimes players are not deemed good enough but get picked out of necessity and then quickly improve. I’d love to see him starting a run of games.  Sykes isn’t the long term answer to me so give Wilson a run of games. 

Its easy to say give Wilson a run of games, but the last 2 he has come on, looked awful and way off the level. The only thing it would achieve at the moment is to give some 'fans' a new scape goat as he would get hammered. Had hoped he would be at the level needed, not sure if just trying to hard or lack of game time and not realising how much of a step up the Championship is, sure he will come good.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Was chatting with @77 punk at the game in midweek (well, it was pretty dull at times, wasn’t it?) & we were talking about Kane Wilson making the step up of two divisions & clearly finding it tough so far.

We were trying to think of anyone who had made the 2 division leap (so from L2 to Championship) for us & made an immediate impact & could only come up with Albert Adomah who joined from Barnet, & let’s face it, was just brilliant & it appears a one off.

I’m really struggling to identify anyone else, most who have settled in straight away have come up one division from L1 (like Rob Atkinson, for instance) or from L2 when we were a L1 club ourselves, can anyone think of any others?

John kerr centre forward came up one league from Tranmere Rovers was a fair player years ago .But we were only league one then 

12 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Its easy to say give Wilson a run of games, but the last 2 he has come on, looked awful and way off the level. The only thing it would achieve at the moment is to give some 'fans' a new scape goat as he would get hammered. Had hoped he would be at the level needed, not sure if just trying to hard or lack of game time and not realising how much of a step up the Championship is, sure he will come good.

I think that there is a huge gap in the fitness regime between the two levels and sometimes the stamina work that gets put in has an initial negative effect. Once he is through that, he may come good. Perhaps the upcoming break will be an opportunity for him to work on specifics with the fitness guys.

12 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

John kerr centre forward came up one league from Tranmere Rovers was a fair player years ago .But we were only league one then 

He didn’t, he joined us when we were in the bottom division under TC.

I fully expected someone to suggest a player who joined us in the third tier instead of the second, but not the fourth!

34 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Depends, if we're on about only L2 to CH.

As I can think of a couple up to us in League One, i.e. Basso from Woking for example.

O'Dowda, Bolasie, two off the top of my head.

Basso is an excellent example but he still joined us in L1, cheers.

O’Dowda came from L1, didn’t he?

As for Tanner (suggested by someone else), bit early to suggest he’s taken the move in his stride.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

33 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Basso is an excellent example but he still joined us in L1, cheers.

O’Dowda came from L1, didn’t he?

As for Tanner (suggested by someone else), bit early to suggest he’s taken the move in his stride.

I think O’Dowda joined us in the summer after Oxford won promotion from league 2 but hadn’t yet played in league 1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Noble ? (came from Barnet , though granted a bit dif )

Note :i was all kinds of wrong 

Edited by The turtle

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

From a step below, but

Mark Shail

• Like 1