IGNORED

Step up from League Two

GrahamC

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

Was pretty pleased with myself to have plucked out a fairly obscure one - James Wilson joining us from Cheltenham when we were in the Championship, but they were in bloody League One at the time!

I think you mean Brian..

James was an academy product (Chepstow lad), still playing at Argyle.

3 hours ago, kiwicolin said:

May not be from L2 but Alex Scott has been brilliant ? 

Big step up from Guernsey. 

This must be the best example we've ever had. Although technically he signed for the Academy, he then signed a pro deal very soon after.

Before signing for us, he made 14 appearances for Guernsey is the Isthmian League Division One South, which is step 8 of English football - SIX divisions below the Championship. 

To put it in local context, it's the same step as the Southern League Division One South, where Bristol Manor Farm, Frome Town, Slimbridge and Paulton Rovers play. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Was chatting with @77 punk at the game in midweek (well, it was pretty dull at times, wasn’t it?) & we were talking about Kane Wilson making the step up of two divisions & clearly finding it tough so far.

We were trying to think of anyone who had made the 2 division leap (so from L2 to Championship) for us & made an immediate impact & could only come up with Albert Adomah who joined from Barnet, & let’s face it, was just brilliant & it appears a one off.

I’m really struggling to identify anyone else, most who have settled in straight away have come up one division from L1 (like Rob Atkinson, for instance) or from L2 when we were a L1 club ourselves, can anyone think of any others?

Personally I think this is a bit premature GC. 
To say Kane Wilson has so far struggled. On what evidence? 
So far he’s played 74 minutes of championship football. 

30 of those minutes were at Hull. In that game he made no defensive errors, made 2 good defensive clearances, and for the period he was on we had 4 shots at goal, of which Wilson was the assister on 3 of them. 
I’d say on these 30 minutes he was one of our more influential players and certainly created more than anyone else on the pitch during that time. 

Next, 25 of those minutes were vs Sunderland. Within 5 minutes of coming on he’d blocked 2 crosses and prevented a 3rd with some good positional defensive play. 
He was significantly involved in 5 of our 7 or 8 good attacking phases. 
He made 2 errors, one where he got tackled near the half way line having had zero passing options. He also missed a great chance from a cross. 
Overall, in the 25 minutes he was on, he was probably one of our more influential players, involved in nearly everything good that we managed. 

He had 2 minutes v Cardiff, so nothing to judge there. 

He then had 17 minutes, out of position, vs QPR and yes he made a couple of errors. 

So, on what are we basing his championship ability on so far? 55 minutes v Hull and Sunderland in which he was arguably our most influential and most creative player, or 17 mins vs QPR being played out of position and having been made to sit on the sidelines for the last 2 months? 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 3

Going back a long way, Tom Ritchie played for Bridgend Thistle in Scotland when he signed for City in July 1969. City was in Division 2 at the time which was the second tier, though whether the standard of this is equal to the Championship is open to discussion.

22 minutes ago, Harry said:

Personally I think this is a bit premature GC. 
To say Kane Wilson has so far struggled. On what evidence? 
So far he’s played 74 minutes of championship football. 

30 of those minutes were at Hull. In that game he made no defensive errors, made 2 good defensive clearances, and for the period he was on we had 4 shots at goal, of which Wilson was the assister on 3 of them. 
I’d say on these 30 minutes he was one of our more influential players and certainly created more than anyone else on the pitch during that time. 

Next, 25 of those minutes were vs Sunderland. Within 5 minutes of coming on he’d blocked 2 crosses and prevented a 3rd with some good positional defensive play. 
He was significantly involved in 5 of our 7 or 8 good attacking phases. 
He made 2 errors, one where he got tackled near the half way line having had zero passing options. He also missed a great chance from a cross. 
Overall, in the 25 minutes he was on, he was probably one of our more influential players, involved in nearly everything good that we managed. 

He had 2 minutes v Cardiff, so nothing to judge there. 

He then had 17 minutes, out of position, vs QPR and yes he made a couple of errors. 

So, on what are we basing his championship ability on so far? 55 minutes v Hull and Sunderland in which he was arguably our most influential and most creative player, or 17 mins vs QPR being played out of position and having been made to sit on the sidelines for the last 2 months? 

I’m certainly not the type to write him off, but the point I was making about “struggling” was actually exactly the one you’ve just made.

We are 12 league games in & he’s played 74 minutes, so he’s struggled to get in to the side.

Of the 3 players we signed this summer if we were told that by now one of Naismith, Wilson & Sykes had barely featured & the other two would be (suspension aside) both be ever presents, I reckon the overwhelming majority would have guessed Sykes, who was seen as a utility player with no definite position, would be the back up.

I have absolutely no idea whether he’ll turn out to be an outstanding signing, a flop, or somewhere in between, (& how could anyone, based on a few brief sub appearances?) but it is definitely the case he has found it difficult to get a start, hence me & Gus’ conversation about Adomah & him being the only L2 player we could recall who came straight in & it was as if he’d always been at this level.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’m certainly not the type to write him off, but the point I was making about “struggling” was actually exactly the one you’ve just made.

We are 12 league games in & he’s played 74 minutes, so he’s struggled to get in to the side.

Of the 3 players we signed this summer if we were told that by now one of Naismith, Wilson & Sykes had barely featured & the other two would be (suspension aside) both be ever presents, I reckon the overwhelming majority would have guessed Sykes, who was seen as a utility player with no definite position, would be the back up.

I have absolutely no idea whether he’ll turn out to be an outstanding signing, a flop, or somewhere in between, (& how could anyone, based on a few brief sub appearances?) but it is definitely the case he has found it difficult to get a start, hence me & Gus’ conversation about Adomah & him being the only L2 player we could recall who came straight in & it was as if he’d always been at this level.

One could argue that, having been one of the better players in his brief sub appearances v Hull & Sunderland, perhaps he was ready to hit the ground running and why has he not had an opportunity since?? 
I don’t think it’s down to him struggling to settle at this level. More a poor choice from the manager. 
You’re correct on Sykes, maybe some might have thought he’d be a regular starter, but none would have guessed this would be a regular starter at right wing back! 

But anyway; you are right, there are few that make the 2 division leap and immediately hit the ground running. 
But, in this case, far from this being Wilson struggling to find this level, it’s more that he had 2 good sub appearances at this level and then for some inexplicable reason was given the cold shoulder for 2 months! 

ps - knowing Gus, he probably didn’t actually let you get a word in ?

Edited by Harry
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Lee Johnson didn’t make the jump in one but did play national league and league 2 with Yeovil then League 1 and championship with us.

More of a slow jump but did successfully bridge the gap of 4 divisions.

Someone using “Lee Johnson” and “successful” in the same post on here. Get yer tin hat on mate.

Edited by TedsHeadIs Red
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This must be the best example we've ever had. Although technically he signed for the Academy, he then signed a pro deal very soon after.

Before signing for us, he made 14 appearances for Guernsey is the Isthmian League Division One South, which is step 8 of English football - SIX divisions below the Championship. 

To put it in local context, it's the same step as the Southern League Division One South, where Bristol Manor Farm, Frome Town, Slimbridge and Paulton Rovers play. 

Didn't Steve Phillips sign for us from Paulton?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Clive Whitehead was working as a petrol pump attendant before he joined us. ?

⬇️⬇️⬇️

6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

He was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar when I met him. 

Ha, ha was thinking the same…premier league to human league! ???

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Someone using “Lee Johnson” and “successful” in the same post on here. Get yer tin hat on mate.

Ha, I deliberately added it.

TBF, he came from non league right up to a championship play off team and in that season we were a better team when he played, so I reckon you can call that successful……even if nobody agrees.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

8 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Its easy to say give Wilson a run of games, but the last 2 he has come on, looked awful and way off the level. The only thing it would achieve at the moment is to give some 'fans' a new scape goat as he would get hammered. Had hoped he would be at the level needed, not sure if just trying to hard or lack of game time and not realising how much of a step up the Championship is, sure he will come good.

It’s always easy to say anything about football as a fan. This is no different. Easy to say, players should cross more accurately, easy to say that we need to pass the ball quicker. 

3 hours ago, Harry said:

One could argue that, having been one of the better players in his brief sub appearances v Hull & Sunderland, perhaps he was ready to hit the ground running and why has he not had an opportunity since?? 
I don’t think it’s down to him struggling to settle at this level. More a poor choice from the manager. 
You’re correct on Sykes, maybe some might have thought he’d be a regular starter, but none would have guessed this would be a regular starter at right wing back! 

But anyway; you are right, there are few that make the 2 division leap and immediately hit the ground running. 
But, in this case, far from this being Wilson struggling to find this level, it’s more that he had 2 good sub appearances at this level and then for some inexplicable reason was given the cold shoulder for 2 months! 

ps - knowing Gus, he probably didn’t actually let you get a word in ?

Inexplicable to us, maybe. But Pearson has shown he is very willing to blood youngsters if they're good enough. I reckon he's blooded more young uns / academy players than any other manager we've had. So there simply MUST be a reason why Wilson hasn't been given a run in the team. 

Given Pearson signed him as well, there's absolutely no reason he'd give Wislon the cold shoulder unless he had some kind of issue/concern. One assumes it relates to what Pearson and his coaches see everyday in training, and that they don't think he's ready yet. 

As you say, 74 mins not enough for any of us to properly judge whether he's ready or not. 

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yeah but he was probably about 12 when he played for them

6 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Paulton Rovers who we signed Flapper from. 

13 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Was chatting with @77 punk at the game in midweek (well, it was pretty dull at times, wasn’t it?) & we were talking about Kane Wilson making the step up of two divisions & clearly finding it tough so far.

We were trying to think of anyone who had made the 2 division leap (so from L2 to Championship) for us & made an immediate impact & could only come up with Albert Adomah who joined from Barnet, & let’s face it, was just brilliant & it appears a one off.

I’m really struggling to identify anyone else, most who have settled in straight away have come up one division from L1 (like Rob Atkinson, for instance) or from L2 when we were a L1 club ourselves, can anyone think of any others?

David Noble and Jamie Mcombe were League 2 before arriving to us in League 1 I believe and becoming Key players for us at the top end of the Championship

Not for us but impressive for me was Dave Nugent from Bury to Preston started scoring instantly and was playing for England within a couple of years 

Also Vardy from conference to Championship and Premier League winner in 3seasons

Edited by Logical-City

7 hours ago, CiderJar said:

I was thinking Nicky Maynard, but it is hard to remember that Crewe were in the second tier as recently as 2005. They had only sunk to the third tier by the time we signed him in 2008 and were relegated to the fourth tier at the end of that season... close but no cigar.

He was scoring in League 1 for a few seasons before we signed him and was a well known prospect I remember being surprised we got him when we did

Edited by Logical-City