IGNORED

Worth reading………….

Robbored

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

Those games were the only that I got a buzz from watching GJs teams - probably because he played the mercurial talent of David Noble.

He got us to the final but did a Wilson and failed…………:dunno:

**** me are you still banging this drum…… Didn’t all those years in the NHS teach you anything?

Only mistake GJ made in his final was not dragging Orr when it was clear he was ******.

Unlike DW. Who selected completely the wrong team.

Christ alive. Did you go out on the lash with Danny’s wonder boys? I’m struggling to understand what you saw in the man.

Ok. Great, exciting and entertaining football. But at the end of the day - failure.

And another thing. What’s your fascination with that bloody emoji?

• Thanks 1

I would rather watch the football Danny Wilson got his team to play, than 90% of what we have seen since.

We played some sublime football in his time, and the fact that it still stands out for me, makes me realise just how good and entertaining it was.

Okay, he didn’t get us promoted, but how many City manager have over the last 130 plus years!.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I would rather watch the football Danny Wilson got his team to play, than 90% of what we have seen since.

We played some sublime football in his time, and the fact that it still stands out for me, makes me realise just how good and entertaining it was.

Okay, he didn’t get us promoted, but how many City manager have over the last 130 plus years!.

Hooray!  I’m delighted that you agree with me PR…..

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Would you rather good attacking football but just missing out on promotion year on year or sub standard continuous championship football against better opposition / quality / stadia ?

Wilson, who I liked, is doing a lot of revisionist history there . We certainly werent unlucky...we blew up.

He has to take a lot of the responsibility for that.

As for Lita, its revisionist history for fans to say it cost us. Lita was still young. There were no clamour for him to be starting etc at the time. It may have been a fans choice to have him on the bench, he was quick striker for sure but the idea it cost us promotion is for the birds. 

4 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Would you rather good attacking football but just missing out on promotion year on year or sub standard continuous championship football against better opposition / quality / stadia ?

I would rather watch good entertaining football. I’ve never been interested in who the opposition are, why should I ?. I’m only interested in watching my team. 
Perhaps the most enjoyable time for me watching City was in division 4, great away trips to small grounds etc.

Me personally, I’ve got zero interest in us getting in the Premier league, I’ve no desire to watch City have a successful season by not being relegated, because that’s the only thing that would possibly happen if we went up.

25 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Lita not on the bench controversy...

Who out of Scotty M, Luke Wiltshire, semi final hero Marc Goodfellow or only defensive player Burnell should have been out of the 16?

It does show how strong our squad was though and we should never have lost that game against a very ordinary Brighton

This is my point...people talk about Lita like he had scored 15 goals that season. 

The final was a terrible match which tbh I dont think Lita would have made any difference in as we didnt exactly create a load of chances. 

5 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Hooray!  I’m delighted that you agree with me PR…..

Yes, let's get relegated and get Danny Wilson back!!!

I'm sure we can look good at Horfield!

Edited by Redtucks
  • Confused 2
  • Flames 1

On 07/10/2022 at 14:09, Logical-City said:

Gary J is managing where he is today because of his loyalty to us a desire to get us to the Premier League when his stock was at its highest. Should have left following the season after the play off final for himself we had peaked. He had another go we finished 10th after being 4th in March Bristol City could not get any higher at that time with the ambition in place. He should have tested himself elsewhere 

After he left us his desire to get back in to work taking jobs when he could have waited for a respectable Championship club after us, Cardiff, Derby clubs of this stature would have taken Gary but he rushed in to work with Peterborough and the fickle world of football brought him back to Yeovil….where he took them to the Championship

The man is top class and I will never be told differently.

Blind loyalty and desire to be in work 

I’d add Neil Warnock to the same category as Gary in this argument…can’t handle big characters ….

Gary J handled Basso

Warnock handled Tarrabt 

No buy in then what can the manager do ?

On 07/10/2022 at 14:09, Logical-City said:

Gary J is managing where he is today because of his loyalty to us a desire to get us to the Premier League when his stock was at its highest. Should have left following the season after the play off final for himself we had peaked. He had another go we finished 10th after being 4th in March Bristol City could not get any higher at that time with the ambition in place. He should have tested himself elsewhere 

After he left us his desire to get back in to work taking jobs when he could have waited for a respectable Championship club after us, Cardiff, Derby clubs of this stature would have taken Gary but he rushed in to work with Peterborough and the fickle world of football brought him back to Yeovil….where he took them to the Championship

The man is top class and I will never be told differently.

Blind loyalty and desire to be in work 

Pearson can critique the previous managers all he likes fact is we’re not in crisis…we weren’t then

Difference… we were higher in the table 

1 hour ago, Logical-City said:

Pearson can critique the previous managers all he likes fact is we’re not in crisis…we weren’t then

Difference… we were higher in the table 

We actually have notable issues and constraints that we did not under previous managers.

Ask yourself this, I think he did some good things but how would Lee Johnson have done under these constraints..or how would NP have done with Lee Johnson's resources.

It is what it is, circumstances panned out as they did but NP is dealing with a lot of shit and has been ever since he joined. Scott, Semenyo and so far although still early, Conway gave flourished under him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

I would rather watch good entertaining football. I’ve never been interested in who the opposition are, why should I ?. I’m only interested in watching my team. 
Perhaps the most enjoyable time for me watching City was in division 4, great away trips to small grounds etc.

Me personally, I’ve got zero interest in us getting in the Premier league, I’ve no desire to watch City have a successful season by not being relegated, because that’s the only thing that would possibly happen if we went up.

That and giving us a financial cushion to be competitive for years to come.

3 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

I quite enjoy seeing players of certain ilk who have played in the prem, your Newcastle’s or when we see a Rooney managing the opposition. I can’t say I’d feel as excited about paying 30+ notes to watch like Phil Walsh at Dag and Redbridge in the old forth division. Each to their own though. 

I am content in the championship. 

Edited by Engvall’s Splinter

On 09/10/2022 at 01:14, Superjack said:

That and giving us a financial cushion to be competitive for years to come.

In theory yes, in practice...more nuanced.

Would depend how we played it of course but a few PL clubs have now made losses in the 1st PL season after promotion. Notably Aston Villa but Fulham twice as well...think Brighton turned to loss making as well for a while, this despite and including £100m of T.V. cash a year.

Worth separating out a bit, City forum sure but him taking Barnsley up was a pretty notable feat, certainly a football man albeit with a mixed track record. They were perhaps unfortunate to go down too- is an interesting listen despite Brighton in 2004 and the 2003 failure. He still doesn't regret Lita on the bench at Wembley!

Otoh, if not for Miller at Swindon we perhaps go up...was pretty late on in the game wasn't it.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous