IGNORED

Worth reading………….

Robbored

This bloke allowed a culture of excess throughout a very talented team. It’s as if it was a conscious decision to allow a culture that most supporters knew was as unprofessional as it could get on the basis of team bonding, when in reality it was like strapping a lead weight to those with limited ability to act like a competitive sportsman

The whole era culminated in that god awful performance in Cardiff where my best mate who came looked at me at the end and said ‘they never showed up’. Of course they did show up and were terrible, the bloke who didn’t show up was Leroy Lita as the manager didn’t bloody pick him even for the bench. The sight of throwing Luke effing Wiltshire on to chase a goal in the final seconds summed the whole period up for me. The bloke was saying in the press beforehand it’s a must win and afterward said ‘it’s not the end of the world’

I will not forget my old man’s face as we left the ground after watching THAT looking to me and saying ‘they have let us down again son’ 

I will read the comments on here, but Wilson can ram books and with others can ram any podcasts. I was there for all of it. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

No, but like his “every manager has been sacked apart from Klopp” nonsense, he just changes the subject then.

As @The Journalist & I had both pointed out, his final season was a real grind, we were a low scoring, attritional side, as opposed to free scoring, title winning Plymouth, but as Jack Nicholson memorably said, some people “can’t handle the truth” 

Yep, if Robbored had said we have a couple / few seasons of good football, but his final season was a bit of a grind, I think most would accept that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, if Robbored had said we have a couple / few seasons of good football, but his final season was a bit of a grind, I think most would accept that.

I remain unconvinced about that - City reached the play off final that season. That particular season couldn’t have been such a grind as some make out.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I remain unconvinced about that - City reached the play off final that season. That particular season couldn’t have been such a grind as some make out.

So, you move the goalposts and correlate League position to being enjoyable to watch…when it’s Danny Wilson, but when it’s another manager, you don’t.

That sums up your argument basis really.  

• Like 10
  • Flames 3

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So, you move the goalposts and correlate League position to being enjoyable to watch…when it’s Danny Wilson, but when it’s another manager, you don’t.

That sums up your argument basis really.  

For me football is all about being entertained regardless of a win, draw or defeat. DW provided that entertainment and GJ did not.

Thats always been and will remain my argument.

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It was an absolute grind for large parts - I was at every game that season, home and away, so I know. I was there.

The 11-match winning run, during which we regularly got out of jail with late winners, was a complete anomaly and dragged us from being a mid-table team. 

During the seven games after that run ended we lost five and scored just three. That was more like the City we saw for most of that season.

It was in complete contrast to the season before, during which we WERE free-scoring, free-flowing and played some of the best football in my lifetime. That team wasn't that dissimilar to Pearson's side now - great going forward but shocking at the back. It was bloody good fun though.

In two games we conceded six goals to the team who finished bottom, for goodness sake! Thankfully we scored 10... 

But I know you'll continue to ignore me on this, @Robbored, because you've lost your mind.

• Robin 1

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

For me football is all about being entertained regardless of a win, draw or defeat. DW provided that entertainment and GJ did not.

You’re so bitter and twisted. 

For me the difference between DW & GJ is this, DW gave me one of the worst, gutting days in my life and GJ gave me one of the best days in my life. 

GJ brought back a club that was in a complete mess where we had players who were completely taking the piss out of the club and us as supporters. The rot started with with drinking culture that was allowed to fester under DW’s watch. But hey, wasn’t it nice watching us play nice football just to completely bottle it at the business end of the season. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Superjack said:

I know that bookshops are becoming a thing of the past, but it has long boiled my piss that 'proper authors' can't get shelf space due to 'Celebrity ****' autobiographies. ?

Ain't that the truth. Well do I remember Jade Goody's autobiography getting to number one bestseller. OMFG!

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

It was patently obvious to everyone in the stands, but not apparently the manager, that Lita was a class above.

This isn't the first time we've seen this. A manager picking his mates, the people he knows best, and sidelining young talent. 

This article also contains a blatant lie, by the way.

Wilson says re Lita “you have to remember that you could only have 3 substitutes back then”.

Our subs on that terrible day? Stowell, Burnell, Goodfellow, Wilkshire & Murray.

You don’t need to be the Sesame St Count to realise that’s 5 subs & indeed this change was introduced back in 1999, 5 seasons before this game.

Memo to Richard Forrester, do some research, to Danny Wilson, stop lying to cover up your failure.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

I asked earlier where GJ is managing now? but nobody has told me…………:cool2:

It’s immaterial where GJ is now as City managers should be judged on their time managing City. What they did before or after is neither here nor there. 

What about Harry Thickitt ? When he was manager in the early 1900s City gained promotion from Division 2 as champions, finished second in the First Division and reached the FA Cup final.  Using your logic he is a failure as, after leaving City, the only thing he managed was a pub. 

Edited by pongo88
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This article also contains a blatant lie, by the way.

Wilson says re Lita “you have to remember that you could only have 3 substitutes back then”.

Our subs on that terrible day? Stowell, Burnell, Goodfellow, Wilkshire & Murray.

You don’t need to be the Sesame St Count to realise that’s 5 subs & indeed this change was introduced back in 1999, 5 seasons before this game.

Memo to Richard Forrester, do some research, to Danny Wilson, stop lying to cover up your failure.

TBF to Wilson that might just be a memory lapse - particularly if he put away half as much booze as some of his players did! - but there's no denying he deserved to go at the end of that season. Straight after the match, on a very somber coach back to Ashton, everyone agreed.

The way I remember it is that Lita wasn't all that great at the time of the play off final. In years to come, yes, he was a great goalscorer, but in my eyes fans judge the decision not to include him in the squad with the benefit of hindsight and the player he later became.

Which one of the subs included on the day would people have not included?

Edited by bbew
  • Like 1

I think the biggest single reason why Wilson had to go is he’d run out of ideas. The previous season was indeed the free flowing attacking football Robbored states, but it didn’t get us there. Wigan were top that year based on grinding out results and Wilson made a conscious decision to pivot the style of play more to that, resulting in a huge drop off both In entertainment and goals scored. The nadir of that was against Brighton, where we went out there, as we had done a lot of the season, not to lose the game.

So he’d tried his ‘natural’ style and not got there. He then moved to a totally different style and failed. He was out of ideas even before you start on the culture. 

The supreme irony is that if he’d stuck to what we did the prior season he may well have been remembered as fondly by the rest of us as he is by Robbo. And it may even have got us promoted. The total pivot did us more harm and ‘un evolved’ the side

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

....but when GJ got City to the play off final, was it such a grind as you want everyone to believe?

I think you post your views more about the name of the manager rather than the facts.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

It’s 2.30 in the morning. I can’t sleep. I know what I’ll do. I’ll have a little dip into OTIB.

**** my boots. He’s done it again. Posts a one liner and watches it run…..

I well remember the anticipation of the Cardiff Play Off - or Pray Off as you like to call them.

No entertainment that day. Just complete bewilderment as we trudged back from a very dour game.

I do agree that under DW we played some attractive football but at the end of it all we had 4 seasons under Mr W and the ****** failed.

However if that’s your measure of success you’re very welcome to it….. ?

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Those play off games against Palace under GJ. Something else. 

Those games were the only that I got a buzz from watching GJs teams - probably because he played the mercurial talent of David Noble.

He got us to the final but did a Wilson and failed…………:dunno:

15 hours ago, Robbored said:

Well I guess watching football is much more of a grind if someone spanked your arse so hard you can barely sit down. I think it's about time you stopped your pathetic anti GJ diatribe and find another game to play, it's becoming boring and making you look like a childish fool.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Those games were the only that I got a buzz from watching GJs teams - probably because he played the mercurial talent of David Noble.

He got us to the final but did a Wilson and failed…………:dunno:

Noble was a superb talent. He’d have fit straight into Wilson’s team for both reasons ?

Edited by Engvall’s Splinter
  • Like 1