IGNORED

Worth reading………….

Robbored

Just now, GrahamC said:

That’s true but as a comparator during this time Plymouth under Sturrock won back to back titles to go straight from League Two to the Championship.

I’m sure a few of their players fancied a beer too but he achieved far more in a shorter time at a club that has the hardest of all jobs to attract players.

The fact that Wilson still gets annoyed by the question & won’t accept he had a team that contained a large number of drunks is very revealing, no self awareness at all.

Yes, when reading the article, he  doesn't come across very well.

Some people are like that...they just think they are right regardless of hindsight.

It's pretty telling imo

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Nige is a proper manager - remind me where GJ is managing these days…………..:dunno:

And where is Danny Wilson managing?

Here are the facts:

DW failed to get city promoted in many attempts despite a huge budget and talented squad. 

GJ not only got city promoted in his first full season but then got us one game from the Prem. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Nige is a proper manager - remind me where GJ is managing these days…………..:dunno:

We're talking about the relative merits of 2 successive City managers. What either of them is doing now is neither here nor there. Wilson could be managing in the Premier League now and he would still have been a failure with us.

I'm still waiting for a cogent argument from you though, based on evidence rather than your odd obsessions, as to why Wilson was more successful with us than Johnson. I'm not holding my breath.

I think the consensus of opinion at the time of his sacking was that Wilson was looking for more funding for players for the next season to finally get us over the line but SL wasn't prepared to invest more money especially after the amount he had already given Wilson in previous campaigns. Coupled with the hugely underwhelming play off final defeat and the emerging player coach role for Tinnion I think SL thought a fresh look was needed.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, chinapig said:

We're talking about the relative merits of 2 successive City managers. What either of them is doing now is neither here nor there. Wilson could be managing in the Premier League now and he would still have been a failure with us.

I'm still waiting for a cogent argument from you though, based on evidence rather than your odd obsessions, as to why Wilson was more successful with us than Johnson. I'm not holding my breath.

Wilson’s record at City shows that he achieved bugger all but played very attractive, free flowing football during his entire reign and I’m convinced that had he stayed the following season that he’d have got us promotion.

GJ did achieve promotion but did it by playing painfully dour football to achieve it.

I asked earlier where GJ is managing now? but nobody has told me…………:cool2:

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Wilson’s record at City shows that he achieved bugger all but played very attractive, free flowing football during his entire reign and I’m convinced that had he stayed the following season that he’d have got us promotion.

GJ did achieve promotion but did it by playing painfully dour football to achieve it.

And. despite being five years younger, what is Mr Wilson doing with his time these days? Assistant to Klopp? DOF at Man City? Or just sitting on his arse moaning about what happened to him twenty years ago?

• Like 1

Just now, Lanterne Rouge said:

And. despite being five years younger, what is Mr Wilson doing with his time these days? Assistant to Klopp? DOF at Man City? Or just sitting on his arse moaning about what happened to him twenty years ago?

DW has pretty much retired from management - enjoying time with his grandkids.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s not true though is it.  Virtually everyone on here will say he changed the way we played to anything but free-flowing at the end.

• Like 8
  • Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I guess I will have to settle for your admission that Wilson was indeed a failure even if it is followed by a hypothetical claim that he would have got promotion next time.

Everything else is irrelevant.

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

It was patently obvious to everyone in the stands, but not apparently the manager, that Lita was a class above.

This isn't the first time we've seen this. A manager picking his mates, the people he knows best, and sidelining young talent. 

It's not something you could accuse Pearson of, which might be why he's achieved so much more in his career than Wilson has. 

I liked Danny as a person, but as a manager, we needed better. 

Lita was not ready ?‍♂️ 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Lita was not ready ?‍♂️?‍♂️How many games did he win from the bench that season by being 1) a nuisance creating space for others or 2) banging in winners himself 

He didn’t fancy Lita was obvious to all

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s not true though is it.  Virtually everyone on here will say he changed the way we played to anything but free-flowing at the end.

No, but like his “every manager has been sacked apart from Klopp” nonsense, he just changes the subject then.

As @The Journalist & I had both pointed out, his final season was a real grind, we were a low scoring, attritional side, as opposed to free scoring, title winning Plymouth, but as Jack Nicholson memorably said, some people “can’t handle the truth” 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I guess I will have to settle for your admission that Wilson was indeed a failure even if it is followed by a hypothetical claim that he would have got promotion next time.

Everything else is irrelevant.

Just the same as every other manager that SL sacked.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Gary J is managing where he is today because of his loyalty to us a desire to get us to the Premier League when his stock was at its highest. Should have left following the season after the play off final for himself we had peaked. He had another go we finished 10th after being 4th in March Bristol City could not get any higher at that time with the ambition in place. He should have tested himself elsewhere 

After he left us his desire to get back in to work taking jobs when he could have waited for a respectable Championship club after us, Cardiff, Derby clubs of this stature would have taken Gary but he rushed in to work with Peterborough and the fickle world of football brought him back to Yeovil….where he took them to the Championship

The man is top class and I will never be told differently.

Blind loyalty and desire to be in work 

Edited by Logical-City
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Could it be he’s accepted that he’s more successful as a grandparent than as a football manager?

Denying reality in an interview could be just face-saving, but if he really believed in hs ability that much, he’d have probably carried on in management.

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Retired as in nobody would offer him a job, unlike GJ. Anyhow, he seems to have time to 'write' a book ignoring any of his many shortcomings. Not a proper author.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Calculus said:

Retired as in nobody would offer him a job, unlike GJ. Anyhow, he seems to have time to 'write' a book ignoring any of his many shortcomings. Not a proper author.

I know that bookshops are becoming a thing of the past, but it has long boiled my piss that 'proper authors' can't get shelf space due to 'Celebrity ****' autobiographies. ?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Just the same as every other manager that SL sacked.

I wouldn't have thought it was possible for you to get more irrational but here you are claiming that managers who won promotion were failures because they were sacked at a later point. By that logic Alan Dicks was a failure.

It's never too late to learn critical thinking. This correspondence is now closed.?

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I wouldn't have thought it was possible for you to get more irrational but here you are claiming that managers who won promotion were failures because they were sacked at a later point. By that logic Alan Dicks was a failure.

It's never too late to learn critical thinking. This correspondence is now closed.?

Oh...?

Don't close it... let's have fun.

It's not so much 'feeding' as 'exposing'.

?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Robbored said:

DW since being sacked from under achieving with us.

MK Dons - Relegated, sacked.

Hartlepool - Promoted, sacked.

Swindon - Lost play offs final (again), sacked.

Sheff Utd - Lost play offs final (again, again), sacked.

Barnsley - Sacked.

Chesterfield - Sacked.

1 promotion, 2 play off finals lost, 6 sackings.

GJ since leaving us:

Peterborough - Sacked.

Northampton - Sacked.

Yeovil - Play off final (WON) = Promotion. Highest ever position for Yeovil.

Cheltenham - Promotion, sacked.

Torquay - Promotion.

So that's 3x promotions, and still in a job. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I thought it was absolutely pathetic.

The way he attempted to brush off the question about his team being a bunch of underachieving total piss heads completely summed him up.

Apparently the reason we never went up was that we were repeatedly “very, very unlucky”.

What a bluffer he was.

Utter rubbish....  We were repeatedly very, very unlucky...... 

....Very, very unlucky that his team were a bunch of underachieving total piss heads!