IGNORED

Richard Gould

Hamdon Mart

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

My thoughts too.

Says a lot about him, been handed a tough job, trying to help us sort things out but keen to have an orderly transition rather than jump ship at the first opportunity.

Despite one moron (Tony Wilkins) on social media say that he has had “no impact & he’s glad he’s going”, sane people realise what he’s done for us & wish he was sticking around for longer.

Tony Wilkins ?

Buffoon

Unfortunately , Theres a few who like to get on the radio (Big John an exception) and educate GT the problems ,and remedies , that don’t reflect well on our fan base

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Tony Wilkins ?

Buffoon

Unfortunately , Theres a few who like to get on the radio (Big John an exception) and educate GT the problems ,and remedies , that don’t reflect well on our fan base

There are a few certain personalities that whilst they are no doubt passionate supporters, they seem to crave attention and they come out with ridiculous things to get that attention. 

Quite why they get given these platforms to feed their egos is beyond me. 

I can't even listen to that podcast with Ian on. I don't know who the main guy is but he's really good but having Ian on there makes it unlistenable. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Firstly it’s the Barnett Formula and devolution. Wales gets more money per capita than England, especially the South West, plus the Welsh splash big money on Cardiff. It was the same with the electrification of the GWR main line and cutting the route to Temple Meads. Secondly it’s the whole crap about England “and Wales” Cricket Board, so having to have a Welsh franchise and the very misplaced assumption that anyone from Gloucestershire or Somerset would be willing to go to Cardiff to see a game. That said Welsh Fire have been so hopeless and badly supported that there is a rumour about moving it to Bristol to see if it can do better in a bigger cricket market. Probably nothing to it, but it wouldn’t be the daftest idea that the ECB have ever had. And maybe Mr Gould might be in favour…

Trust me, I know what the Barnett formula is.

My examples from my working life have absolutely nothing to do with that, just a determination to move every possible job over the bridge in the public sector that they can.

The 100 is simply a crock of shit, as well as another attempt by the Welsh (in the form of Glamorgan) to screw the West Country over financially. Welsh Fire are shit, very poorly supported & don’t have any Welsh (or even Glamorgan) players at all.

They should just scrap it.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2
  • Flames 2

49 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think we need to take this opportunity to restructure. 

Having one person do all of the work is a outdated concept. 

Most clubs now operate with DoF, Head of Recruitment etc. 

Trying to find someone that has the skillset to cover all of those roles is pretty impossible. 

It always did worry me that Gould didn't really have the experience in the football world. Didn't have the connections etc. He did a very good job at steadying the ship but I think he did lack those things. But we have no money to spend so it was kinda irrelevant right now. 

Mark Ashton was a lousy CEO. However he was pretty good at negotiations and had the contacts etc. We need a less dodgy version of MA to be head of recruitment and then a director of football who ties all the roles together. 

What 'connections' do you think someone needs?

If a club want to sell, or if we have identified a player we want, someone just picks up the phone.

If we want to move a player on, they are either listed, or we employ an agent to find them a new club.

Same in pretty much any large industry. Aside from the agent bit.

@W-S-M Seagull

@Bristol Rob

The connections bit is an interesting one. I've mentioned the Reading example a few times in here but and I definitely don't think we should recruit to this plan, but to give an example. A chart would be better but I don't have time.

Marina Granovskaia-Kia Joobrachian-Dai Yongge

Superagent in the middle, to the left a long time Chelsea exec, to the right the Reading owner. Major or total discounts for some fringe loanees possible.

I see that Birmingham signed a West Ham player on loan in August.

Sullivan, Gold, Brady were at Birmingham for years, did this open an opportunity.

Cooper at Swansea tapped into the lower England age group quite well albeit probably more like the going rate!

Beale at QPR got some young Aston Villa player on loan.

Sure there are plenty of examples out there, like it or not some clubs can tap into more favoured treatment or access.

This shouldn't be the criteria for a new CEO but it's undoubtedly a thing. A thing I don't believe we explore or exploit to the best as a club.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'd hate for Kelly to get it. 

I think he does a fantastic job at what he does and his job is far from finished as we move on to the next phase of development at Ashton Gate. His skillset is very much needed for that to get it all built and then operational. 

Excuse my ignorance, but isn’t the new development completely outside of Ashton Gate Ltd (Kelly’s domain)?

• Like 1

For the cricket fans on this thread:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/oct/23/cricket-is-a-national-asset-richard-gould-appointed-as-new-ecb-ceo

Richard Gould has been named as the new chief executive of the England and Wales Cricket Board in a sign that the governing body is trying to rebuild bridges with the counties after the divisive Tom Harrison era.

The former Somerset and Surrey chief executive has been an outspoken critic of the Hundred in the past, and while he will doubtless strike a more conciliatory tone at the ECB his appointment increases the likelihood that changes will ultimately be made to the franchise competition.

Gould will begin his new role in January. The son of the former Wales football manager Bobby, he is working in football as chief executive at Bristol City but remains highly respected within the county game after his 16 years at Somerset and Surrey.

Unlike Harrison, who was hired for his marketing expertise and brought in from the media conglomerate IMG with the brief of shaking up the English game, Gould’s focus will be on seeking compromise at what promises to be a turbulent and delicate period for English cricket.

The ongoing row over the men’s domestic schedule, with counties reacting strongly to the reduction in cricket proposed by Andrew Strauss’s high-performance review, is one immediate area of concern. It was also telling that the ECB media release highlighted Gould’s record on inclusion, as it seeks to heal the rifts and injustices exposed by the Azeem Rafiq racism scandal. While at Surrey, Gould was instrumental in launching the ACE programme, the much-lauded initiative to increase young Black participation in cricket.

There is a certain irony in the fact that in Gould and the new chair, Richard Thompson, the top two roles at the ECB are now being occupied by two of its biggest critics. Surrey and the ECB once enjoyed a fractious relationship, with the former chair Colin Graves even threatening to strip the Oval of international fixtures in retaliation for its opposition to the Hundred.

While the competition is safe until at least 2028 because of broadcast commitments, Gould and Thompson may eventually decide to shorten its exclusive window in the calendar, or even sell it to private investors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Excuse my ignorance, but isn’t the new development completely outside of Ashton Gate Ltd (Kelly’s domain)?

He certainly did media interviews following the planning permission being granted so he seems somewhat involved. 

https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/ashton-gate-ashton-vale-set-both-transformed/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I'm not sure. It did get mentioned in AG LTD 2019 accounts I think it was. 

I think he's been heavily involved, his Linkedin says -

Currently lead Director on the feasibility, delivery and conceptual design for a +£300m development to include a 5000 capacity area, 300 room hotel, retail, and F&B outlets. 

Interestingly he was also involved in the development of Lansdowns golf resort in Guernsey. 

He's also a director of the Flyers. 

3 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

He certainly did media interviews following the planning permission being granted so he seems somewhat involved. 

https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/ashton-gate-ashton-vale-set-both-transformed/

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm not sure. It did get mentioned in AG LTD 2019 accounts I think it was. 

I think he's been heavily involved, his Linkedin says -

Currently lead Director on the feasibility, delivery and conceptual design for a +£300m development to include a 5000 capacity area, 300 room hotel, retail, and F&B outlets. 

Interestingly he was also involved in the development of Lansdowns golf resort in Guernsey. 

He's also a director of the Flyers. 

Thanks both. ??????

13 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Detail the CEO background of the top 2 divisions in England . You are so far off what is needed in the modern game by thinking it needs a football person as a CEO . You need a CEO .  The business of sport is where you are at , and as Gould is going to one of the biggest jobs in English sport you might get the idea . He is very very good . Your CEO does not coach the team or scout players . He is a CEO . I find it absurd city fans are so clueless . Gould is a class operator and it is why he was headhunted by cricket . That we need to improve and upgrade recruitment is a different t subject and we will never know what plans Gould had in this critical area .  It is laughable that a CEO needs to be “ connected” to work . No he needs to be a CEO . Football is not that complex when you have a plan and it is a small world . Tiny . We do need a proper recruitment head , yes , but that is not the role of the CEO 

I’m a graphic designer/artist, I’ve never worked in business as such, therefore I don’t know the job roles and structures of businesses, companies or corporations. I have a general idea of what a CEO does. It’s not something that really interests me. It’s not absurd that many people don’t understand the role of a CEO as many people live their lives not ever having to. 

Edited by exAtyeoMax

10 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Are you serious . Why is he obvious and why would he have any interest ? Fantasy land .  

Because the poster has heard of him & he’s a fan.

This is like the Joe Jordan as Director of Football suggestion we used to get all the time. People have seriously suggested Pearson, too..

No time ever taken to think whether the person wants the job, what the required skill set is or if he actually possesses it.

Scudamore has been away from the top job in the PL a good while now, so if he wanted to do this (I’m very sure that he doesn’t, by the way) then he would have been in post ages ago.

It is pretty common knowledge that it was between Gould & Bevington last time, not Scudamore, so as you say, this is fantasy stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Henry said:

What’s Scott Davidson up to now? I don’t think he’s worked in football since he left us. Sounds as ridiculous as suggesting Sucdamore.

He's been involved with the club informally. Both as a counsellor/confidant of Gould and in establishing the new Heritage Trust company (which is going to be incredible). That's not the "sharp end" of football business though, and my understanding is that he's seen even that as being too much of a demand on his time.

He loves the club and works hard, but I'll be incredibly surprised if he replaces Gould in any capacity.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Henry said:

What’s Scott Davidson up to now? I don’t think he’s worked in football since he left us. Sounds as ridiculous as suggesting Sucdamore.

Well his brother thought it was a good idea, and….⬇️⬇️⬇️

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

He's been involved with the club informally. Both as a counsellor/confidant of Gould and in establishing the new Heritage Trust company (which is going to be incredible). That's not the "sharp end" of football business though, and my understanding is that he's seen even that as being too much of a demand on his time.

He loves the club and works hard, but I'll be incredibly surprised if he replaces Gould in any capacity.