IGNORED

Players’ Songs & Section 82

Cardy

After many years of sitting in the Dolman as my kids grew up myself & my lad have moved into S24 this season. I was an Eastender back in the 80s & 90s & have always enjoyed getting behind the team with proper vocal support. Dooby dooby doo & all that! 

After a few home games in our new seats I would like to offer my thoughts on what I have now seen more close up than in recent years (other than away games which have a different vibe anyway).

I think the first thing I would like to point out is that the Section 82 support is generally very good & without it Ashton Gate really would be a library. The support at the first couple home games (including Luton) was first class & shows the potential.  I am therefore not meaning to be critical but hopefully be seen as a fresh pair of eyes & ears.

The main thing I would like to say is I feel that the power of individual player songs is massively undervalued in terms of the impact they can have on a players confidence & motivation on the pitch - I don’t think it’s unrealistic to say that a good crowd can raise performance levels by over 10%.

Now to the crux of what I want to say. I think our individual player songs need some work on. It really struck me last night when our two goal match winning hero didn’t get to hear his name being sung out. He’s been in the press today saying how much he loves the sound of the crowd - can you imagine the impact if we were all actually singing his name aswell?
‘Oh Robert Atkinson, City loves you more than you will know, ohhhhhhh!’

Ofcourse some of the players already have some great songs - Bentley, Dasilva, Semenyo, Wells, Conway, Martin & possibly King.

Weimann’s is an interesting one - it’s a bit drab. We sing it a bit when he scores but not really at any other time. His confidence must be a bit down right now - I’m sure he would get such a boost from hearing his song being sung.

I do think we sing the Dasilva song too often & for no real reason other than it’s a great tune & everyone knows the words. We’ve even sung it just after another player has done something really great - who must be left thinking ‘what do I need to do to get a song out of this lot?’. Not exactly motivating I suspect.

I have also found the timing of the singing of the Chris Martin song whilst he has been sat on the bench the last couple games a bit odd. What does that achieve? Other than possibly leaving the strikers on the pitch wondering why we are singing it? Great song though once everyone knows the words.

I guess what I’m saying is the likes of O’Leary, Atkinson, Klose, Naismith, Vyner, Sykes, Wilson, Tanner, James & Williams would all potentially benefit hugely from having their own songs. Can you imagine the team performance level if another 4 or 5 players suddenly found another 10%? They don’t even have to be original top of the world tunes like Scott’s, Dasilva & Martin’s but surely something has to be better than nothing?

Off the top of my head & I admit these are all pretty lame…….!

Kai Naismith to the Rhythm Is A Dancer tune that I have seen on here before… 

Max O’Leary du du du du Max O’Leary…

Sykesy, there’s only one Sykesy, there’s only one Sykesy, there’s only one Sykesy….

Oh Joey, Joey, Joey, Joey, Joey Joey Williams Oh Joey Joey…

To be honest as long as the songs are catchy and everyone knows the words then I don’t think it really matters. What does matter is the impact it would potentially have on performance levels.

If nothing else please let’s try & get an Atkinson chant going on Saturday. He has improved massively, is delivering the goods with MOM performances & could become a cult hero.

Sorry if I have bored you all but I feel better for getting that off my chest. I would be happy to get myself into Section 82 & push this on if I could get a ticket for there. For now S24 seems the next best alternative though.

Hopefully we will see a good performance on Saturday & another 3 points which will see our league position to be a lot healthier than a week ago!

Edited by Cardy
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

Believe there’s a new Joe Williams song. Heard it at Blackburn and a few home games already. Sounds catchy to be fair!

The Andi Weimann is a shocker though. He’s been here what 4/5 years and fast becoming a modern City great, and that’s the best we’ve got?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Believe there’s a new Joe Williams song. Heard it at Blackburn and a few home games already. Sounds catchy to be fair!

The Andi Weimann is a shocker though. He’s been here what 4/5 years and fast becoming a modern City great, and that’s the best we’ve got?

Not heard the Williams one what’s that?

45 minutes ago, Cardy said:

After many years of sitting in the Dolman as my kids grew up myself & my lad have moved into S24 this season. I was an Eastender back in the 80s & 90s & have always enjoyed getting behind the team with proper vocal support. Dooby dooby doo & all that! 

After a few home games in our new seats I would like to offer my thoughts on what I have now seen more close up than in recent years (other than away games which have a different vibe anyway).

I think the first thing I would like to point out is that the Section 82 support is generally very good & without it Ashton Gate really would be a library. The support at the first couple home games (including Luton) was first class & shows the potential.  I am therefore not meaning to be critical but hopefully be seen as a fresh pair of eyes & ears.

The main thing I would like to say is I feel that the power of individual player songs is massively undervalued in terms of the impact they can have on a players confidence & motivation on the pitch - I don’t think it’s unrealistic to say that a good crowd can raise performance levels by over 10%.

Now to the crux of what I want to say. I think our individual player songs need some work on. It really struck me last night when our two goal match winning hero didn’t get to hear his name being sung out. He’s been in the press today saying how much he loves the sound of the crowd - can you imagine the impact if we were all actually singing his name aswell?

Ofcourse some of the players already have some great songs - Bentley, Dasilva, Semenyo, Wells, Conway, Martin & possibly King.

Weimann’s is an interesting one - it’s a bit drab. We sing it a bit when he scores but not really at any other time. His confidence must be a bit down right now - I’m sure he would get such a boost from hearing his song being sung.

I do think we sing the Dasilva song too often & for no real reason other than it’s a great tune & everyone knows the words. We’ve even sung it just after another player has done something really great - who must be left thinking ‘what do I need to do to get a song out of this lot?’. Not exactly motivating I suspect.

I have also found the timing of the singing of the Chris Martin song whilst he has been sat on the bench the last couple games a bit odd. What does that achieve? Other than possibly leaving the strikers on the pitch wondering why we are singing it? Great song though once everyone knows the words.

I guess what I’m saying is the likes of O’Leary, Atkinson, Klose, Naismith, Vyner, Sykes, Wilson, Tanner, James & Williams would all potentially benefit hugely from having their own songs. Can you imagine the team performance level if another 4 or 5 players suddenly found another 10%? They don’t even have to be original top of the world tunes like Scott’s, Dasilva & Martin’s but surely something has to be better than nothing?

Sykesy, there’s only one Sykesy, there’s only one Sykesy, there’s only one Sykesy….

To be honest as long as the songs are catchy and everyone knows the words then I don’t think it really matters. What does matter is the impact it would potentially have on performance levels.

If nothing else please let’s try & get an Atkinson chant going on Saturday. He has improved massively, is delivering the goods with MOM performances & could become a cult hero.

Sorry if I have bored you all but I feel better for getting that off my chest. I would be happy to get myself into Section 82 & push this on if I could get a ticket for there. For now S24 seems the next best alternative though.

Hopefully we will see a good performance on Saturday & another 3 points which will see our league position to be a lot healthier than a week ago!

I think you make some fair points, it’s generally pretty good, sometimes excellent. In can also depend on who is there too, some are better at getting things going and orchestrated than others (lad with the mega phone being a good example). 

It’s a good point on Atkinson, doesn’t really have a song and should (the here’s to you one doesn’t really work or get going and was done to death for Hörður).

I did wonder if Tenpole Tudor might work, but you have be a certain vintage to know what that is! 

Hear their shouts, hear their roar

They've probably all had a cider or much, much more

Hoorah, hoorah, hoorah, yeah

Over the hill with a goal from Rob Atkinson!”.

? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

We've had Starman, maybe now it's time to come up with something to the tune of Five Years.

Chorus: We've got Weimann, we've got Weimann   :laugh:

Ignore me, my brain hurts a lot.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Haha 1

I think the most common and loudest songs/chants over the decades have been the real simple ones.

We’ve got some songs with way too many words in, like Scott and Weimann’s, Wells and DaSilva are much simpler and come across louder.

Massengo’s is a prime example. Singing his name part of the song Is one of our loudest songs but then the other bit has at least 3 too many syllables in it and just ends up as a mumble compared to the other bit.

I think a catchy well known tune with not too much change to the words works. A bit like @Davefevs Psycho Killer effort, though the tune might prove difficult, I don’t know, I guess you don’t know until you try. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Agreed the AW song is a dirge really, not much of a turn and it's difficult to pick out the lyrics

12 hours ago, Cardy said:

If you want more people to sing it make the song simpler. I don't really want to buy a lyrics sheet to be able to join in

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Still think Psycho Killer for Sykes is easy…run, run, run, run…run, run down the wing, oh, oh…oh, Psycho Killer, Qu'est-ce que c'est, ba, ba, ba, ba……

repeat…

…til he hits a crap cross! ?

Sooooo disappointed when Saikou Janneh left! This song was made for him...

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Still think Psycho Killer for Sykes is easy…run, run, run, run…run, run down the wing, oh, oh…oh, Psycho Killer, Qu'est-ce que c'est, ba, ba, ba, ba……

repeat…

All the under 25’s are frantically searching Google or YouTube for Psycho Killer right now

The worst chant by far is the one that Cardiff/Swansea fans have used to try and wind us up for years that for some reason our fans have decided to take on. 

I can’t read, I can’t write.. and ends up with the words cause I’m a Bristol city fan and I’m a f’in w’er. 

Why would you sing that about yourselves? Weird behaviour

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

repeat…

Sykes-a-killer? 

It’s good Dave but only people our age probably know it! ?

3 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I think the most common and loudest songs/chants over the decades have been the real simple ones.

We’ve got some songs with way too many words in, like Scott and Weimann’s, Wells and DaSilva are much simpler and come across louder.

Massengo’s is a prime example. Singing his name part of the song Is one of our loudest songs but then the other bit has at least 3 too many syllables in it and just ends up as a mumble compared to the other bit.

I think a catchy well known tune with not too much change to the words works. A bit like @Davefevs Psycho Killer effort, though the tune might prove difficult, I don’t know, I guess you don’t know until you try. 

I agree. Whilst I like the creativity on some of the songs, unless you sit in S82 it's very difficult to make out the word. 

Sometimes you just have to keep it simple.

The Dan Bentley song for example, could have just adopted the old Basso song. Simple and very effective. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Selred said:

I do think this is unrealistic.

If you were at Leeds a few years ago, 2018? you may change your mind.

We we’re 2 up at half time and still looking comfortable into the second half. Leeds were so poor the Leeds fans started joining in with our Leeds are falling apart song. Soon the whole stadium was singing and moving on to other songs, it was deafening.

All of a sudden the Leeds players, with facial expressions a mixture of embarrassment and pure rage turned into a different team and we were lucky to escape with a draw.

If the Leeds fans had walked out or stayed quiet I’m in no doubt we would have won that game comfortably.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

If you were at Leeds a few years ago, 2018? you may change your mind.

We we’re 2 up at half time and still looking comfortable into the second half. Leeds were so poor the Leeds fans started joining in with our Leeds are falling apart song. Soon the whole stadium was singing and moving on to other songs, it was deafening.

All of a sudden the Leeds players, with facial expressions a mixture of embarrassment and pure rage turned into a different team and we were lucky to escape with a draw.

If the Leeds fans had walked out or stayed quiet I’m in no doubt we would have won that game comfortably.

10% is a massive number in football terms. It's essentially more than a 1 man advantage. Don't get me wrong, good atmosphere does help, although a good atmosphere is also due to good performances on the pitch so it's a bit chicken and egg. But my main point is, it's nowhere near a 10% advantage.

Also we had a good atmosphere the week before vs Sunderland, went in 3 nil up. Us throwing away leads was not uncommon, and can't just say it was the atmosphere for the reason.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Selred said:

10% is a massive number in football terms. It's essentially more than a 1 man advantage. Don't get me wrong, good atmosphere does help, although a good atmosphere is also due to good performances on the pitch so it's a bit chicken and egg. But my main point is, it's nowhere near a 10% advantage.

Also we had a good atmosphere the week before vs Sunderland, went in 3 nil up. Us throwing away leads was not uncommon, and can't just say it was the atmosphere for the reason.

My memory of the Sunderland game was we should have gone 4-0 up, fluffed it and after that the atmosphere went from lethargic to frustration to angry pretty quickly. 

I stand by the Leeds game crowd being a huge factor, even as an away fan we were sat there thinking what wtf… and I think our players were thinking the same, especially as seeing what had happened the week before. We were fragile and the crowd helped break us.

I do admit that that game was a rare event, the crowd effect not us surrendering leads, but just goes to show what is possible.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

I can't always make out the words to the songs sat in the dolman does anyone know what the song is I think they sing something like" let's go out tonight"......I can't make out the rest ? 

Just pop out in blue, you will soon clock the gist of it....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mattredrobin said:

I can't always make out the words to the songs sat in the dolman does anyone know what the song is I think they sing something like" let's go out tonight"......I can't make out the rest ? 

I see the east end arising

I see there’s trouble on the way

Dont go out tonight

Unless your red and white

I see there’s trouble on the way

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Selred said:

I do think this is unrealistic.

That’s my point - as men on the street I don’t think we actually understand the impact well enough. However, every player & manager I have ever heard talk about it says positive vocal support makes a massive difference to both confidence & mentality.

6 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

The worst chant by far is the one that Cardiff/Swansea fans have used to try and wind us up for years that for some reason our fans have decided to take on. 

I can’t read, I can’t write.. and ends up with the words cause I’m a Bristol city fan and I’m a f’in w’er. 

Why would you sing that about yourselves? Weird behaviour

Absolutely - I guess it’s supposed to be ironic but why wouldn’t we just sing ‘I can drive a tractor’ like our Welsh friends do?