IGNORED

Millwall at home match thread

30 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Not seen much organisation all season. Guess you are okay with 3 clean sheets in 14 games and 9 games in 14 of us conceding 2 or more goals. 

9 games out of 14……I’m not happy about that  

So who do you replace Pearson with and please keep it realistic 

4 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Yes, over hyped.  He is not a solid Championship striker and certainly not a striker at a higher level.
just think off the top of your head of really first rate strikers we have had in the past at this level.  He is nowhere near Cole,, Goater, Curtis, Garland, let alone Atyeo.  And many more.

None of those players are Semenyo either. If you can’t see a talented player then I feel for you.

Just need a way in which we can use him properly, as Nigel did last season.

17 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Needs more than that. Recruitment is not good either. Finances play a part but after this season our core will be players like Conway, James, Naismith, wilson, tanner, Atkinson, bajic, Weimann and williams. There are no real building blocks that will still be here.

We did not go in enough on younger players probably to do with the dinosaur making decisions. We slaughtered Johnson for doing things like chucking 4 strikers on when a goal needed. The fascination with this formation and 2 in midfield is odd. Like the definition of insanity we keep trotting out there like it will just work this time. Why has he broken up the Conway and Wells pairing? Seems like he was itching to drop Wells. 

I tried to get on board but outside of a couple 4-5 game stretches we usually look second best. Still problems on set pieces. Recruited slow and weak players. The coaching during the game seems to be mostly Euell and Fleming. Even if we stay up this season are we willing to give the bloke in his last season a clean slate? Not for me. This is going to be a real rebuild and we need someone committed and much fresher with their ideas and solutions. Not sure if we should speed the process up and let go soon with a world cup to use to train up or let him see this out. 

A reasoned post, I would argue that NP is more stubborn than dinosaur, plus he’s not been afraid to use youth, Conway being the best example this season, Scott and Benyarous last. 

I’d agree that he’s slow to change formation and perhaps with Kalas, Klose and Naismith back he will change and we’ll go to 4 in midfield.

As for recruitment, it all boils down to money again, he has to recruit on the peripheries rather than spend millions on one or 2 players.

Not time to change yet but if the trigger finger is getting itchy then the World Cup break would be as good a time to do it, it’s almost another preseason

• Like 1
Just now, BasSavage88 said:

Touched a nerve princess? 

There were about 12k there on Wednesday for a start. Keep that shit up and it will follow on Saturdays

Such a witty put down. Did you think that up all by yourself?

Stay away if it floats your boat (if you go at all)

You know the expression City Till I Die, I don’t care if I’m sat there on my own. It’s called support. 

• Like 2

Thoughts on today. It can be argued that both goals were max’s fault, parried the 1st into 3 Millwall players who should have been marked. Shouldn’t have come out for the 2nd in hindsight. Although I wouldn’t want to put it all on him seeing as he saved Adobe’s soft pen. 

We need to:

a)stop conceding set pieces 
b) defend set pieces

Too many passengers again, including Scott IMHO and we’ve lost our mojo up front. 

No need for a meltdown though, just need to tighten a few things up.

Edited by real_bristol
  • Like 1
Just now, David Brent said:

None of those players are Semenyo either. If you can’t see a talented player then I feel for you.

Sorry I think he was a one season wonder - we’ve seen too many of those.

A talented striker scores goals and looks dangerous when in possession. 

Sykes and Dasilva as wing backs are truly awful week in week out . No pace or physicality. Can’t do a lot about Sykes but surely Cam Pring gets a run now on the left . Weimans confidence seems be shot right now and though I rate him massively , Scott needs to take a look at himself as he really looks the part but seems terrified to play anywhere near the opposition box and is in danger of becoming a bit of a show pony . As for Zak , it’s all been said . We’re in a spot of bother chaps ! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, glynriley said:

Such a witty put down. Did you think that up all by yourself?

Stay away if it floats your boat (if you go at all)

You know the expression City Till I Die, I don’t care if I’m sat there on my own. It’s called support. 

Supporting shit like today, managers like Pearson and turning up no matter what is what damages clubs. Why would they change if people like you are still happy to clap that and turn up forever 

8 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

I have no issues with getting beat, what I can't fathom is no consistency. On Wednesday we dominated a Preston who had won at Norwich and many expected to give us a game and probably beat us, a draw would have been deemed a good result. On the back of that game, we should have been expected to at least get a draw today, but more importantly a performance.

We never looked like we bothered and we are so inconsistent, I wonder if half the players even give a damn.

It's so frustrating. 

If we were consistent then we would be top.

All teams, except the top 2 or 3, will be inconsistent. Especially in such a competitive division. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, David Brent said:

If we were consistent then we would be top.

All teams, except the top 2 or 3, will be inconsistent. Especially in such a competitive division. 

Inconsistency is one thing but playing as though you don’t care is quite another.

Football demands passion.  Think in recent past of the side which got us promotion to this level.  Of course, one thing we lack is a captain on the pitch.

1 minute ago, robinforlife2 said:

Consistent in terms of effort and performance, not result.

One week we play well, the next we look like we can't be bothered. I question Pearson's motivation skills tbh. 

Refuse to believe that any of the team are not trying. Regardless of how tactics / other team can make it appear that way. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Sorry I think he was a one season wonder - we’ve seen too many of those.

A talented striker scores goals and looks dangerous when in possession. 

I think Semenyo is a hard player to play alongside  ,very talented and strong but he is a monster wher no-one playing alongside him knows what his movements are going to be. He is an off the cuff type which is fine  e but not easy to play a pattern with,I think conway has looked lost and uncertain where he needs to be rather than playing his normal game.

1 minute ago, BasSavage88 said:

Supporting shit like today, managers like Pearson and turning up no matter what is what damages clubs. Why would they change if people like you are still happy to clap that and turn up forever 

Like I said, if it doesn’t float your boat, stay way, I doubt you go anyway but hey ho. 

If every football fan in the country had your attitude, grounds up and down the country would be empty every week. 

Sack the manager at every opportunity is the call of the brain dead. Where’s the money coming from?

Any way I’m off out to a party now, so enjoy your evening whining on here. I’ll catch you tomorrow for some more scintillating insight and witty put downs. 

6 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

A reasoned post, I would argue that NP is more stubborn than dinosaur, plus he’s not been afraid to use youth, Conway being the best example this season, Scott and Benyarous last. 

I’d agree that he’s slow to change formation and perhaps with Kalas, Klose and Naismith back he will change and we’ll go to 4 in midfield.

As for recruitment, it all boils down to money again, he has to recruit on the peripheries rather than spend millions on one or 2 players.

Not time to change yet but if the trigger finger is getting itchy then the World Cup break would be as good a time to do it, it’s almost another preseason

Stubborn is better than dinosaur I’ll give you that. He has used youth but has he had much choice? Conway and Scott you could see were good if you watched them before their breakouts imo. I think they’d have broken in under anyone. 

I get the money. I am talking more about the type. Naismith, James, Wilson, King and Sykes. None of these are imposing but all of them are defenders or shield the defence. Look at Millwall today. Probably not what you’d call ball players but didn’t make mistakes when they had possession and head or kick everything away. Money, our history and location all play a part so examples are pointless but I think we have targeted too many small and unathletic players for this league. 

Yea I am not itching to get rid because of finances. I just would not persist after this season. Just if you wanted a midseason change soon would be the answer with the world cup and only semenyo participating. 

10 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Just doesn’t look the same player as last season personally, he’s not being played any differently to last year, no doubting the potential but maybe he’s  bought into his own hype a little especially with the couple of goals he got as a sub, the Prem interest and a Ghanaian call up. Was in Millwalls back pocket for most of today, and. Has not really been a threat in all the games he has started. Perhaps just needs a goal or a benching

2 minutes ago, red colin said:

I think Semenyo is a hard player to play alongside  ,very talented and strong but he is a monster wher no-one playing alongside him knows what his movements are going to be. He is an off the cuff type which is fine  e but not easy to play a pattern with,I think conway has looked lost and uncertain where he needs to be rather than playing his normal game.

I think he needs to play exclusively out wide. Even as a striker his best moments are when he ends up wide and can go at his mark. I’d put him in one of the wingbacks spots. Have to plan for that with defending but can be done. Ideally I would play him wide in a 433 but there is a reluctance to change things. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think he needs to play exclusively out wide. Even as a striker his best moments are when he ends up wide and can go at his mark. I’d put him in one of the wingbacks spots. Have to plan for that with defending but can be done. Ideally I would play him wide in a 433 but there is a reluctance to change things. 

My thoughts too not stuck to the bye line but definitely marauding in from the right just dont see him as a centre forward. 

1 minute ago, red colin said:

My thoughts too not stuck to the bye line but definitely marauding in from the right just dont see him as a centre forward. 

Yes I agree. Definitely more lively from the right as well. The left he seems reluctant to cut in and shoot. Ironic because he done that against Hudderfield and scored but he generally goes to the touchline on left and blasts it across goal

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Stubborn is better than dinosaur I’ll give you that. He has used youth but has he had much choice? Conway and Scott you could see were good if you watched them before their breakouts imo. I think they’d have broken in under anyone. 

I get the money. I am talking more about the type. Naismith, James, Wilson, King and Sykes. None of these are imposing but all of them are defenders or shield the defence. Look at Millwall today. Probably not what you’d call ball players but didn’t make mistakes when they had possession and head or kick everything away. Money, our history and location all play a part so examples are pointless but I think we have targeted too many small and unathletic players for this league. 

Yea I am not itching to get rid because of finances. I just would not persist after this season. Just if you wanted a midseason change soon would be the answer with the world cup and only semenyo participating. 

It’s interesting that our poor recent form coincides with Naismith and James being unfit, I think both are key in terms of our set up both in terms of defending and playing out.

It’s too early to tell with Wilson, but he certainly attracted suitors at Forest Green, getting injured at the start of the season and then doing his knee at QPR won’t immediately help him. The jury is out with Sykes for me a former winger that can’t cross, ducks a 50:50, and struggles to find a pass.

I’d have the Millwall back 2 in a flash, knew their game and stuck to what they were good at, Semenyo didn’t have a sniff.

I think our recruitment is a symptom of the overall problems in football now, outside the Prem and the parachute teams, all clubs have to find the bargain, Prem academies are have essentially set up loan  businesses for young talent that will never make their first teams, but who are available for a chunky fee. The pond is very much smaller now. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Just doesn’t look the same player as last season personally, he’s not being played any differently to last year, no doubting the potential but maybe he’s  bought into his own hype a little especially with the couple of goals he got as a sub, the Prem interest and a Ghanaian call up. Was in Millwalls back pocket for most of today, and. Has not really been a threat in all the games he has started. Perhaps just needs a goal or a benching

think he just needs to get his head up, got in some great positions today and the last game but makes the wrong decisions.

The one time he did he put to much on it.

Still raw tho,think he will still end up being some player.

Selling Semenyo in January could be a blessing if we can use the money wisely. As others have said he really doesn’t work as one of a pair of strikers. Back to goal he wins little unless it’s to his feet and can spin the defender. The answer to that of course is you take him out when he spins as Millwall did today. His strength is running on to through balls but Williams and Scott have been totally ineffective in that department as have our defenders distribution other than sideways or backwards. Scott was doing it when alongside James but to me Williams looks a League One player.

Scott let the man run past him which led to the penalty, has a woeful set-piece delivery and like Conway seems to have hit the wall that young players do when they struggle. Weimann well is off the pace and lost his spark/confidence, Meanwhile Jay D and Sykes can ruin any attack with their crossing . Basically without James and Naismith we look a complete mess.

Today as against Birmingham we predictably got bullied and the better side won.

56 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Like I said, if it doesn’t float your boat, stay way, I doubt you go anyway but hey ho. 

If every football fan in the country had your attitude, grounds up and down the country would be empty..

Bit over the top but they do disappear

Why you are having a go at a bloke who reckons attendances will drop is beyond me.

You claim you were there during the dark days, well back then the attendances weren't as impressive as they are now and football being fickle, especially at ours, they will drop

. The sudden interest since the then new stadium  and Championship football that's added 5000 odd would soon drop if we get relegated 

Edited by Keepers Ball