IGNORED

Millwall at home match thread

3 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Selling Semenyo in January could be a blessing if we can use the money wisely. As others have said he really doesn’t work as one of a pair of strikers. Back to goal he wins little unless it’s to his feet and can spin the defender. The answer to that of course is you take him out when he spins as Millwall did today. His strength is running on to through balls but Williams and Scott have been totally ineffective in that department as have our defenders distribution other than sideways or backwards. Scott was doing it when alongside James but to me Williams looks a League One player.

Scott let the man run past him which led to the penalty, has a woeful set-piece delivery and like Conway seems to have hit the wall that young players do when they struggle. Weimann well is off the pace and lost his spark/confidence, Meanwhile Jay D and Sykes can ruin any attack with their crossing . Basically without James and Naismith we look a complete mess.

Today as against Birmingham we predictably got bullied and the better side won.

Conway has not hit a wall, he simply is not as effective without Wells.

Why has Pearson broken up such a lethal strike force, its an absolute joke.

Semenyo doesn't fit in with the way we play, so don't play him, revert to what worked so well.

After Blackburn away I genuinely thought play offs maybe are realistic with a bit of luck, now Im thinking relegation maybe with Pearson trying to fit Semenyo in, I just don't get it, does he not like Wells?

I was at the game today (first time this season). Pretty disappointing overall. Millwall were physical and organised. Felt like we played right into their hands with the wishful long balls from the CBs which their towering defence dealt with fairly easily. 

We always look susceptible to conceding and again another two soft goals given away. Very nervous when Max came running out in attempt to clear, which consequently led to their 2nd. Good pen save but to little to late. 

I personally think it's partly a formation issue for us. This formation can work but the wingback roles are both pivotal and influential, and unfortunately I don't think we have the quality there. We lack pace and aggression down the flanks, and will often turn backwards or go sideways. All to predictable. The final ball and crossing is also substandard in these areas. Again, not to sure with Andi in that position, a lot of running but not much else. I think an extra man in midfield would shore us up, meaning going to a back 4. 

Thought Semenyo was decent but always seems to rifle the ball when he shoots, which most of the time results in the ball flying miles high or wide - no accuracy or placement. Good to see Kalas back, he did well. Conway struggled again but no quality service provided. Pring did OK when he came on but it was so frustrating right at the death when he went backwards from the throw in and lost us the ball (leading to the pen), rather than just put it into the box. A few passengers again and the accuracy and intensity of the passing was sadly not there. We do struggle vs these physical sides. I was hoping we would push on after the equaliser but wasn't to be.

Oh well. That's my overview. Hoping to go to the Swansea game next. Might be more of an open game. COYR

• Like 5

Performance: poor.
Mitigating factors: the injuries to Klose and Kalas disrupted us + Millwall had a free week. We looked flat, especially in the first half. 
Milllwall: an average but organised team with a clear way of playing - a set-piece team. 
The immediate future: getting Kalas, Naismith and James back will give us some options. 
Winter prognosis: unpredictable, concerning, potentially bleak. 
Manager: no cash for a change. But would he still be here if we did have?  
Defending set pieces: hopeless, embarrassing. 
Tuesday night: well, we always concede 3 or 4 at West Brom. 
Prediction: we won’t be far above the relegation zone by the World Cup break.

So I said City were in a relegation fight early season (contrary to all the happy clappers on here), we will stay up but reality is we need another season at least before we turn the corner. Difficult season but survival is critical. I don’t blame NP as the club needs time to be allowed to improve. Mid table mediocrity will be a result for me,

3 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

It’s interesting that our poor recent form coincides with Naismith and James being unfit, I think both are key in terms of our set up both in terms of defending and playing out.

It’s too early to tell with Wilson, but he certainly attracted suitors at Forest Green, getting injured at the start of the season and then doing his knee at QPR won’t immediately help him. The jury is out with Sykes for me a former winger that can’t cross, ducks a 50:50, and struggles to find a pass.

I’d have the Millwall back 2 in a flash, knew their game and stuck to what they were good at, Semenyo didn’t have a sniff.

I think our recruitment is a symptom of the overall problems in football now, outside the Prem and the parachute teams, all clubs have to find the bargain, Prem academies are have essentially set up loan  businesses for young talent that will never make their first teams, but who are available for a chunky fee. The pond is very much smaller now. 

I agree with those two missing hurts but imo still part of recruitment that has not improved us defensively. I don’t feel like we are building towards a competitive championship squad. You look when we play teams we are smaller across most of the XI. We aren’t really quicker or better technically than sides either. Idk I just don’t see where we are taking this squad

• Robin 1
5 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

Conway has not hit a wall, he simply is not as effective without Wells.

Why has Pearson broken up such a lethal strike force, its an absolute joke.

Semenyo doesn't fit in with the way we play, so don't play him, revert to what worked so well.

After Blackburn away I genuinely thought play offs maybe are realistic with a bit of luck, now Im thinking relegation maybe with Pearson trying to fit Semenyo in, I just don't get it, does he not like Wells?

I haven't forgotten about last season with WSM, which was just as effective as Wells + Conway over a longer period of time. I get why Martin doesn't come on much anymore but I thought todays opponent would possibly have some issues dealing with that combo. I also wonder if Nigel insists on Semenyo would it be possible to include Wells, Conway, Semenyo simultaneously? 

I’m in no way of NP out, the guy hasn’t had anything to play with. What we’ve got is what we’ve got, an average side you’d have to say with the exception of a couple exciting players.

What does frustrate me though is how soft we are. We don’t follow runners, we don’t win the first ball, we’re so poor in the air it’s embarrassing. The goals are so poor you just want to grab the players and give them a kick up the rear end!

It’s as if we’re not really bothered, we’ll outscore them. Problem is the opposing teams are working us out.