IGNORED

Millwall at home match thread

Millwall at the Gate.

They are searching for their first away win of the season. Rowett’s team have only scored two goals while playing away from home - Jake Cooper against Blackburn Rovers and Zian Flemming away to Rotherham. The Lions have picked up four points from their last six games since changing to a 4-2-3-1 formation, but they remain winless on the road since the start of March.

Head to head we have won 37, lost 34 and drawn 32.

Last season we won at our place

And lost at theirs

Chairman John Berylson’s financial backing has been vital to Millwall since 2007. He’s an American businessman and founder of Chestnut Hill Ventures LLC. He is a formerly an active US Marine and a passionate fan of the Boston Red Sox.

They are managed by Gary Rowett who took charge In October 2019. As a player, he was a defender, and played for Everton, Derby County, Leicester City,  Charlton Athletic, Cambridge United, Blackpool, Birmingham City and Burton Albion. His professional career ended in 2004, through a knee injury.

In July 2021 Benik Afobe rejoined Millwall on a season-long loan deal eight years after his previous loan spell at the club. Afobe scored 13 goals in 41 appearances for the Lions as they missed out on a play-off spot on the final day of the season, finishing in 9th.  Following the success of his loan spell with the club in the 2021–22 season, Afobe joined the club on a permanent one-year deal for an undisclosed fee on 28 June 2022.

My neighbour is a die-hard Millwall fan and reckons (of course he might just be winding me up) since changing their style of play they are starting to look much better and being more effective, he added that Zian Flemming was starting to find his feet and looking a real threat.

The Lions have certainly looked rejuvenated since switching to a back four, naming the same lineup for consecutive games and picking up four points.

We should note that no team in the Championship has scored more league goals from corners, free-kicks and throw-ins (eight).

Officials: Referee Gavin Ward, assisted by Adam Crysell and Bhupinder Gill with Andy Woolmer as the fourth official.

Millwall musings

• From 1964 to January 1967, Millwall went on a record unbeaten home run of 59 matches without defeat (W43, D16). The Lions scored 112 goals and kept 35 clean sheets during that period.
  • Their biggest ever victory was a 9-1 Division 3S win over Torquay United in September 1927.
  • There are three teams that the Lions have never beaten in the Championship – Yeovil Town, Southampton and Rotherham United.
  • Seven windmills once stood on the western side of the Isle of Dogs, helping to give this part of the island the name ‘Millwall’. The ‘wall’ was in fact a great bank of earth and stones, perhaps dating back to Roman  times and certainly in use by the early Middle Ages. This bank of earth kept the river from flooding the island at high tide, allowing the surrounding land to be cultivated for farmland.
  • The club's ground The Den doubled as The Dragons Lair, home ground of fictional team Harchester United in the television series Dream Team. It also appeared in episodes of the shows The Bill and Primeval.
  • Frank Fielding joined them in 2019 when he left us but only made one appearance before going to Stoke on a short-term contract.
  • Well known fans include, Danny Baker, Sir Daniel Day-Lewis, Andy Fordham, David Haye, Lord Ouseley and Gary Oldman.
  • Marvin Elliott came through their academy he appeared 144 times for Millwall before joining us in 2007 (he departed BCFC in 2014) scoring 25 goals in 242 appearances. He was named as a member of PFA team of the year in 2008.

Fellow-Reds enjoy the game and let’s make lots of noise as we cheer the City to three more points, COYR.

EC760DDF-A0AF-419B-9282-2658E727D885.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

Worth noting there is limited international coverage this week on RTV. Can only assume it's being televised everywhere else so maybe streams available.

Otherwise set your VPN accordingly:

This weekend’s game will only be available in:

• Austria
  • Switzerland
  • Spain
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Philippines
  • Romania
  • South Korea
  • Thailand

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/millwall-game-available-in-selected-overseas-regions-on-robins-tv/

Edit: Zurich, if you are on the free version of Windscribe is available.

Edited by Gazred
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Gazred said:

Worth noting there is limited international coverage this week on RTV. Can only assume it's being televised everywhere else so maybe streams available.

Otherwise set your VPN accordingly:

This weekend’s game will only be available in:

• Austria
  • Switzerland
  • Spain
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Philippines
  • Romania
  • South Korea
  • Thailand

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/millwall-game-available-in-selected-overseas-regions-on-robins-tv/

Edit: Zurich, if you are on the free version of Windscribe is available.

or Bucharest (Romania).

• Like 1

My team:

MOL

ZV TK RA

MS JW (MJ if JW not fit) AS CP

AW (C)

AS NW

Subs: Bentley, Dasilva, Williams (If James starts if James not fit Kadji on the bench and Williams start), Martin, King, Conway, Sykes

No need to change it up too much would be quite happy with the team that started on Wednesday would just change the full backs to freshen things up. 

2 hours ago, 22A said:

Their forum sound pessimistic; https://millwallonline.com/forum/threads/bristol-city-v-wall-match-thread.52266/

"There home form ain't bad, our away form is shit so would take a point to keep our unbeaten run going."

Their unbeaten run..? 

Consists of 2 games.... 

This is a game we really should be demanding 3 points from. 

IF we get them, then hopefully the previous 5 games (pre Preston) can be put down to a blip, rather than a depressing return to normality ?

From FB

Hi City fans,
Tomorrow for the Millwall game, we will be outside the Rising Sun Pub, Ashton Gate, a 2 minute walk from the stadium, selling our award winning hot cornish pasties & sausage rolls. With prices from £2.
We will be outside the pub from 1pm, if you fancy grabbing something nice and hot on the way to the ground.
We will have the following hot pasties & bakes:
∙ Traditional Cornish, regular and large sizes.
∙ Red Thai Chicken Curry pasty.
∙ Beef & Stilton pasty.
∙ Pork & Apple pasty.
∙ Chicken & Chorizo pasty.
∙ Lamb & Mint pasty.
∙ Cheese & Onion pasty.
∙ Cheese & Bacon pasty.
∙ Red Thai Vegetable pasty.
∙ Sausage Rolls & Pies.

7 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

From FB

Hi City fans,
Tomorrow for the Millwall game, we will be outside the Rising Sun Pub, Ashton Gate, a 2 minute walk from the stadium, selling our award winning hot cornish pasties & sausage rolls. With prices from £2.
We will be outside the pub from 1pm, if you fancy grabbing something nice and hot on the way to the ground.
∙ Beef & Stilton pasty.
∙ Pork & Apple pasty.
∙ Lamb & Mint pasty.
∙ Cheese & Onion pasty.
∙ Cheese & Bacon pasty.
∙ Sausage Rolls & Pies.

Publicity on OTIB !!!

:disapointed2se:

7 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

From FB

Hi City fans,
∙ Beef & Stilton pasty.
∙ Pork & Apple pasty.
∙ Lamb & Mint pasty.
∙ Cheese & Onion pasty.
∙ Cheese & Bacon pasty.
∙ Sausage Rolls & Pies.

And no doubt the queue at the Clarks van across the road will be ten times as long again.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

Guys, this will be my first City game in two and a half years! I’m based in Shanghai and have been unable to get home due to expensive flight prices and COVID restrictions. I’m finally gonna be at the gate today for the first time since we drew 1-1 with Fulham in March 2020. Very very excited about doing the match day routine and I think the team will do the business today, although it probably won’t be pretty. Another 2-1 will do just nicely !

Nice for you to be at the gate since so long you were there.  Think and hope for a win, 2-0 City. If we got speed in our legs and moving ball quickly we have a good chance to all points. COYR 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

From FB

Hi City fans,
∙ Beef & Stilton pasty.
∙ Pork & Apple pasty.
∙ Lamb & Mint pasty.
∙ Cheese & Onion pasty.
∙ Cheese & Bacon pasty.
∙ Sausage Rolls & Pies.

Sorry must have missed this. Why is the reaction to this always negative?

Who is it?

2 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Guys, this will be my first City game in two and a half years! I’m based in Shanghai and have been unable to get home due to expensive flight prices and COVID restrictions. I’m finally gonna be at the gate today for the first time since we drew 1-1 with Fulham in March 2020. Very very excited about doing the match day routine and I think the team will do the business today, although it probably won’t be pretty. Another 2-1 will do just nicely !

Literally, 'Red Army, Red Army'

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Welcome home. It might not be pretty as Rowett’s teams are pretty dull to watch. However , if we can play anything like we were against Blackburn , Norwich etc then we have played some lovely football this season . The key is our tempo . It needs to be fast 

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Is today the day Joe Williams starts back to back?  He’s got to at some point, reckon today might be it.

Well I think Massengo is out of the frame for some time. From starting the game to not even make the bench the next is pretty clear cut!

Until James is back fit, get the feeling he will changing between Williams and King.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Reckon he will play 60 minutes then make way for King 

I also think he’s a player who’s form is fluctuating because of a lack of a run (yeah, we know the reason).  At some point you’ve got to push the decision.  Assuming all the sports science is ok, today is that day for me.

• Like 1