IGNORED

Well that’s it from me

Alan Dicks

4 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Would it be tough for us to justify though?

It's one thing Pearson moving to a DoF role at the end of his managerial contract, but it feels a bit different if he moves part way through his contract.

Supposedly the "early" move would be some sort of admission of failure in the manager's role. Would it look like Pearson "failing upwards"? Would Pearson be appropriate for the DoF role if he's been unable to turn us around as a manager?

Would never happen, he's not a long term supporter or associate of the club nor does he live in the area other than for work

5 hours ago, Red DNA said:

Why bring in someone else - who also won’t have money to spend - in fact, even less as we’ll have to pay off Pearson and no doubt half of the back room staff who will also be replaced by the contacts of the new manager / coach?

It’s not pretty and it’s never going to be easy but a revolving door of managers is not the answer, Pearson is the best we expect to get at this moment in time  

I don’t get this can’t change the manager bollox. 
Watford for example change their manager at the drop of a hat and have had several promotions from our division. Frankly Pearson has been crap with as bad a win ratio as most any manager we have had. He’s had long enough and if you don’t change something then nothing will change. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Yeah I agree, a couple of defeats next week would see real pressure on him. Lansdown may hold off until the World Cup to give himself more time to decide but the thought will be in his head now

I would think Lansdown will be more worried about losing Gould at the moment. As long we are not in the relegation slots and being hammered each week he will be happy to carry on with NP.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

Today is the day I’ve finally come to the conclusion, i have zero faith in Nigel Pearson.

Ok he has had no money to spend, but we haven’t improved one single bit in any area if the park, and we’re not about to anytime soon.

Ask me who we bring in next, the answer is ???

For a second I thought this was a lost "Two Ronnies" sketch, Well, that's it from me......And that's it from him.

6 hours ago, Red DNA said:

Why bring in someone else - who also won’t have money to spend - in fact, even less as we’ll have to pay off Pearson and no doubt half of the back room staff who will also be replaced by the contacts of the new manager / coach?

It’s not pretty and it’s never going to be easy but a revolving door of managers is not the answer, Pearson is the best we expect to get at this moment in time  

Oh, come on the best we expect? plenty of coaches have done far better with a lot less to spend or work with, now who might do better? unless we spin the dice again who knows, but to say he is the best we can do at this time hmm I'm not so sure, and me I wouldn't mind a spin of that dice before it's A, too late or B, the fans start to desert us, and that already seems to have started judging by the last two REAL attendances.

3 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

We’ve been on far worse runs, believed we had more money to spend and still not fired the trigger. Can’t see it. 

One of which was under said manager was it not? and I can see it, let's wait till after the next two games, we could easily be near the bottom three or just maybe not, we are so inconsistent anything could happen.

4 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Yeah I agree, a couple of defeats next week would see real pressure on him. Lansdown may hold off until the World Cup to give himself more time to decide but the thought will be in his head now

I wasn't talking about him being sacked, but walking.

3 hours ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

There's a Manager doing a very good job on limited resources over at Shrewsbury.

He might be worth considering should a vacancy occur...........

Whilst I admire that manager, why come here & still be on limited resources.

I can't honestly see the point, have faith mate :thumbsup:.

7 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

Today is the day I’ve finally come to the conclusion, i have zero faith in Nigel Pearson.

Ok he has had no money to spend, but we haven’t improved one single bit in any area if the park, and we’re not about to anytime soon.

Ask me who we bring in next, the answer is ???

I disagree with you.

We HAVE improved under NP. Let's face we were in a freefall mess under the completely out of his depth DH. We were a soft touch. He's had to not only steady a very rocky ship, he's had to take stock of where we are on and off the pitch which has revealed that we need a root and branch rebuild, which I think he relishes.

We've lost a lot of money through the folley of a previous regime who allowed, for example, a £5M + lucrative contract striker to leave for nothing.

We've lost revenue through covid.

We are under the constraints of FFP so  can't just go out and spend money.

We've lost a top rated defender in Baker to retirement.

We've missed our record signing Kalas for a long time and now we're missing Naismith, another influential player.

We're one of the highest scoring teams in the division but unfortunately concead too many at the other end.

The defence should improve with Kalas coming back. So by definition 

.  . we should improve or start to improve at the back.

• Like 4

I honestly think Pearson is just as frustrated as any fan. I also think looking back at past managers spending and how wasteful it was Pearson is doing pretty damn well with his business. I would say most of his signings have improved areas where we were/are weak with the exception of James and King, although I think they were brought in with hope that they could get the rest of the players listening to Pearson which IMO hasn't worked as well as I'm sure he hoped it would have. 

I'd be interested to see who has had the most influence of transfers because if I'm honest I feel that it's been very shrewd.

I keep reading "oh we need x account of players in x positions" and I'm sure Pearson is more than aware, the issue comes down to a lack of money and rather than spend on players who don't offer something he'd rather not bring players in. I think Pearson could still do a very good job with us, the issue is that it'll take a few more years for him to get out the players he doesn't want/ don't perform to his level of expectations. 

This season was never going to be a promotion push and if anything Nigels biggest downfall was having us scoring a lot of goals because we were never going to keep scoring at that rate. I think Pearson has been unlucky with the injuries we've got and it's thrown a spanner in the works as now our scoring is showing down, the issues of still needing a higher quality in depth in the defence is clearly obvious. 

Putting all of that aside, sacking Pearson would be such an awful move. The championship has seen 8 sackings in the first 11 games! That's 8 teams who will all be looking to rebuild, sacking Pearson would just add us to that list and put us back to the beginning of yet another rebuild which we cannot afford to do.

I'd be interested to see if any of the "get rid" brigade could suggest a realistic plan going forward along with a realistic manager in mind that we could afford. 

• Like 8
  • Flames 2

9 hours ago, bpexile said:

Whilst I admire that manager, why come here & still be on limited resources.

I can't honestly see the point, have faith mate :thumbsup:.

Fair comment but....

For him, unfinished business perhaps?

For us, his ability to get the most out of limited resources?

(I know, I know, call me bat-shit crazy ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aa_bcfc said:

I don’t get this can’t change the manager bollox. 
Watford for example change their manager at the drop of a hat and have had several promotions from our division. Frankly Pearson has been crap with as bad a win ratio as most any manager we have had. He’s had long enough and if you don’t change something then nothing will change. 

Doubt there is any money to pay him off on top of paying a new manager - watford are alot more successful than us and can probably justify/ afford it

10 hours ago, Swede said:

We've lost a lot of money through the folley of a previous regime who allowed, for example, a £5M + lucrative contract striker to leave for nothing. You mean like Kalas, will do this summer

We've lost revenue through covid. Everyone did

We are under the constraints of FFP so  can't just go out and spend money. So are Luton, Blackburn, Millwall & QPR

We've lost a top rated defender in Baker to retirement.

We've missed our record signing Kalas for a long time and now we're missing Naismith, another influential player.

We're one of the highest scoring teams in the division but unfortunately concead too many at the other end.

The defence should improve with Kalas coming back. So by definition 

.  . we should improve or start to improve at the back.

I wish I shared aspects of your optimism but your making excuses for mediocrity too

23 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

The difference being that Pearson has been given a lot longer than Holden got

I never get my head around that type of argument.  Just because Holden went inside a season isn’t a reason to get rid of Nige.  We are in a tough period, rebuilding in a division above where we normally have to rebuild.  I wouldn’t fancy being in Lg1 trying to get out if it at the mo’.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I never get my head around that type of argument.  Just because Holden went inside a season isn’t a reason to get rid of Nige.  We are in a tough period, rebuilding in a division above where we normally have to rebuild.  I wouldn’t fancy being in Lg1 trying to get out if it at the mo’.

The argument being that Holden gets a bad rap, when he had less than a season to make a difference. Unlike Pearson, who's had 18 months and still hasn't made a huge amount of difference, yet many on here wouldn't dream of getting rid of him.

13 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

The argument being that Holden gets a bad rap, when he had less than a season to make a difference. Unlike Pearson, who's had 18 months and still hasn't made a huge amount of difference, yet many on here wouldn't dream of getting rid of him.

Does Holden get a bad rap from most fans? 

I think most were and are sympathetic towards him. The blame certainly lay at other doors.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Does Holden get a bad rap from most fans? 

I think most were and are sympathetic towards him. The blame certainly lay at other doors.

I don't know about most fans, but I've certainly heard him getting a slating on a few occasions. I didn't particularly rate him, I just wondered why Pearson seems to get a pass when Holden didn't 

• Like 1

Just now, AshtonGreat said:

I don't know about most fans, but I've certainly heard him getting a slating on a few occasions. I didn't particularly rate him, I just wondered why Pearson seems to get a pass when Holden didn't 

I would say that it is because there was precious little on his CV to suggest that he would be anything other than out of his depth in the job.

I don't think most blamed him for taking it though.

It was a kick in the teeth for us though, particularly as the same applied to his predecessor.

• Like 1

If Pearson did get the bullet would you trust the nitwits who run our club to bring in the right man to replace him? I wouldn’t.

Wouldn't be surprised if they reasoned that appointing an experienced head didn’t work so they will revert to young up and coming managers a la LJ and the Fabulous Human.

We’d probably end up with Curtis Fleming ad head coach!

I’m not all aboard the NP Out train yet and barring an absolute walloping at the Hawthorns In the week I won’t be but his reign has clearly been a colossal story of under-delivery. It’s just that the problems at this club run so much deeper.

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

I think it’s easier to be more selective about whose views / posts you take into consideration.  Holden does get a bad rap from some, but most look purely at results.  I’d say the injury situation was a massive impact for him, but alongside that he had the financial constraints (double downed by covid) and a CEO and owner creating a player divide re the Diedhiou contract.  That undermined so much imho.  As for Nige he’s had to pick up the pieces of that…and I don’t lay that at Holden at all.  In many respects a combo of Holden and Nige might have been a very good combo.  The players obviously liked Dean, but he needed the wise old head to take on the boardroom and in one members case one who overstepped his mark.

I have a lot of time and sympathy for Dean, he got a rough deal here.

At the time of his appointment I thought Tins might play that role of buffer between first team head-coach and Ashton, but I realise now that’s not for Tins, he’s better where he is, an asset linking up the first team and academy.  But someone should’ve been brought in.

44 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Most of the stuff I read, Nige doesn’t get a pass at all, the difference being he’s earned time through his years of experience…and I think the club finally realise how naive they were and need him to see us through this tough period.  There is a group of fans that would’ve sacked him already and aren’t willing to give him time.

My view is that unless you’ve got a really bad egg, you give them time, support them and try to build as a team.  Whether it’s head-coach or manager it’s still a team.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think it’s easier to be more selective about whose views / posts you take into consideration.  Holden does get a bad rap from some, but most look purely at results.  I’d say the injury situation was a massive impact for him, but alongside that he had the financial constraints (double downed by covid) and a CEO and owner creating a player divide re the Diedhiou contract.  That undermined so much imho.  As for Nige he’s had to pick up the pieces of that…and I don’t lay that at Holden at all.  In many respects a combo of Holden and Nige might have been a very good combo.  The players obviously liked Dean, but he needed the wise old head to take on the boardroom and in one members case one who overstepped his mark.

I have a lot of time and sympathy for Dean, he got a rough deal here.

At the time of his appointment I thought Tins might play that role of buffer between first team head-coach and Ashton, but I realise now that’s not for Tins, he’s better where he is, an asset linking up the first team and academy.  But someone should’ve been brought in.

Most of the stuff I read, Nige doesn’t get a pass at all, the difference being he’s earned time through his years of experience…and I think the club finally realise how naive they were and need him to see us through this tough period.  There is a group of fans that would’ve sacked him already and aren’t willing to give him time.

My view is that unless you’ve got a really bad egg, you give them time, support them and try to build as a team.  Whether it’s head-coach or manager it’s still a team.

Good post Dave. I'm in the middle of doing something, so won't be able to reply properly, but that doesn't mean I didn't appreciate it :)

• Like 1