IGNORED

Resembles O'Driscoll

Logical-City

The comparison to O’Driscoll is the negative speech I hear in pre/post match interviews,limiting our expectations and ambition based on said the size of our club …our finances  in comparison to others…being “realistic”

Clubs we have competed with at League 1 level in the last 20 years have been promoted to the championship before us , promoted to the premier league , experienced back to back relegations Blackpool, Wigan…Luton went all the way back to the conference, hell Rotherham look as likely as us to compete or better this season. 
treading water for decades  

Gary Johnson took us from League one for 7 years to a Championship play off final in 3 years…with belief 

Pearson is unfortunately and I want him to succeed not inspiring the fan base and in turn the players to be ambitious for this club, he has unearthed, improved and polished some great young players but clubs like us need a spark rather than a sensible head in my opinion,

LJ was sacked because we weren’t breaking in the top 6 …Pearson has been in the top 6 with us once in 3 years…for 5 days 

We need to dream again not be “realistic “

Recommended solutions:

Nathan Jones

Garry Rowett 

Edited by Logical-City
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Logical-City said:

The comparison to O’Driscoll is the negative speech I hear in pre/post match interviews,limiting our expectations and ambition based on said the size of our club …our finances  in comparison to others…being “realistic”

Clubs we have competed with at League 1 level in the last 20 years have been promoted to the championship before us , promoted to the premier league , experienced back to back relegations Blackpool, Wigan…Luton went all the way back to the conference, hell Rotherham look as likely as us to compete or better this season. 

Gary Johnson took us from League one for 7 years to a Championship play off final in 3 years…with belief 

Pearson is unfortunately and I want him to succeed not inspiring the fan base and in turn the players to be ambitious for this club, he has unearthed, improved and polished some great young players but clubs like us need a spark rather than a sensible head in my opinion,

LJ was sacked because we weren’t breaking in the top 6 …Pearson has been in the top 6 with us once in 3 years…for 5 days 

Recommended solutions:

Nathan Jones

Garry Rowett 

Why would either touch us?

Both in-around or above us in the league with better FFP situations.

If you want win at all costs football then carry on but neither managers are my cup of tea. Jones is the sort of Manager who suits Luton and would not do well elsewhere, also plays unattractive football. Rowett his sides are again unattractive. 

I'd rather a Manager in the mould of Swansea's boss or Plymouth. Young, hungry for success and plays good attractive football.

10 hours ago, Logical-City said:

Recommended solutions:

Nathan Jones

Garry Rowett 

The difference is money.  I’d stick instead of twist TBH.  The grass isn’t always greener.  Yes a difficult period right now, look at the positive.  Burnley were the only team so far this season who played us off the park. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Nathan Jones, good one.

Rowett? You’d employ a bloke who plays like Millwall did today, honestly?

What about Klopp or Guardiola?

Entertained or get results? 

Gary Johnson wasn't exactly champagne football, but he got results and nearly got us to the Premier League. If you were drawing or winning more times than losing, why would you care if it wasn't free flowing entertainment. I agree I wouldn't want Rowett here, but at the same time, I would rather results over entertainment. 

John Aloisi would be a good appointment for us. What he has done at Western United on a shoestring budget in Aus is exceptional and he has led them to glory in his 2 years. He would jump at the chance at coming to England, would not be expensive and knows what you can build on very little money and his team plays attractive football and gets results. 

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

John Aloisi would be a good appointment for us. What he has done at Western United on a shoestring budget in Aus is exceptional and he has led them to glory in his 2 years. He would jump at the chance at coming to England, would not be expensive and knows what you can build on very little money and his team plays attractive football and gets results. 

The thing is we'd need an experienced manager who can a) get results in the short to medium term with only the players we have, because we have zero funds to make changes, and b) continue the work to replace some players we do have on high wages (Wells, Kalas, maybe Bentley) with championship quality replacements for almost nothing.

I'm not sure someone who doesn't know the country, let alone the league is the answer there. Maybe in a couple of years once we're stabilised.

Other options like Rowett given the same constraints, will he get us promoted? Not for me. So why change? Another manager to pay off, crap football, and a couple of places higher in the league if we're lucky? 

I think we're relatively safe with what we've got, which given the circumstances isn't something to scoff at. Because we have played some decent football and got some results this year it's easy to forget quite how restricted we are at the moment - the last few times this situation required a complete reset in L1 for a few years.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 10
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

The thing is we'd need an experienced manager who can a) get results in the short to medium term with only the players we have, because we have zero funds to make changes, and b) continue the work to replace some players we do have on high wages (Wells, Kalas, maybe Bentley) with championship quality replacements for almost nothing.

I'm not sure someone who doesn't know the country, let alone the league is the answer there. Maybe in a couple of years once we're stabilised.

Other options like Rowett given the same constraints, will he get us promoted? Not for me. So why change? Another manager to pay off, crap football, and a couple of places higher in the league if we're lucky? 

I think we're relatively safe with what we've got, which given the circumstances isn't something to scoff at. Because we have played some decent football and got some results this year it's easy to forget quite how restricted we are at the moment - the last few times this situation required a complete reset in L1 for a few years.

Absolutely right on the last bit and a recurring theme of the Steve Lansdown “legacy”. The only difference being the reset is taking place in the Championship. We just gotta hope we have enough patches of form to stay there whilst it is undertaken.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Logical-City said:

Recommended solutions:

Nathan Jones

Garry Rowett 

All these clubs that have passed us in the lower divisions that you speak of over a period of twenty years? You are correct but you blame managers who come and go and for some strange reason have ALL failed here. Every last one of them. When that happens in any other business you search for a common denominator because it is pretty inevitable that you have been set up to fail the whole time. Any ideas?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, petehinton said:

Rowett turned down the chance to talk to us when LJ was sacked 

Our track record suggests the next appointment will either be someone out of work or an internal appointment.

We haven’t appointed a manager from another club since McInnes.

Not a great result yesterday. As a game of football in its purest form we contributed to a lacklustre game . Over the course of a season at home we will come up against the Millwalls of this league so we need to come up with a better plan to impose our football on them. 
I’ve slowly warmed to Nigel after not being to excited when he got the job. Last season I could see little glimpses of what he was trying to do and this year I’ve seen we aren’t far away from being a top half team. 
Easy to compare us to other clubs and other managers but no two scenarios are the same . 

• Like 1
  • Robin 4

Good post @IAmNick would also add to that, the blooding youth thing.

Not easy in a side who are hamstrung, rebuilding, walking the FFP line yet it offers significant hope for the future, be it on pitch, financially or both.

As well as the obvious Scott, Semenyo, Conway we have also seen the likes of Towler, Idehen, Benarous all get their chance. Partially out of necessity granted..Pring is a slightly different case as he is older but his career here, he only really properly started it last season.

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

All these clubs that have passed us in the lower divisions that you speak of over a period of twenty years? You are correct but you blame managers who come and go and for some strange reason have ALL failed here. Every last one of them. When that happens in any other business you search for a common denominator because it is pretty inevitable that you have been set up to fail the whole time. Any ideas?

Question for all those ex managers, what has stopped Bristol City getting to the prem? I don't think they will say lack of investment or backing, instead I think it will be either coming into a poor situation created by previous managers or lack of support in dealing with those problems (McInnes strongly hinted at this).

I was pondering if sticking with managers for longer time periods like we do holds us back, I know there is a very good argument for keeping managers and holding down costs but if managers stay too long they really get to embed there practices and if those practices are wrong then they are harder for the next manager to remove and replace.

Is a rolling set of managers every 2 years actually beneficial as long as you have control of the financial side of things.

1 hour ago, shelts said:

Not a great result yesterday. As a game of football in its purest form we contributed to a lacklustre game . Over the course of a season at home we will come up against the Millwalls of this league so we need to come up with a better plan to impose our football on them. 
I’ve slowly warmed to Nigel after not being to excited when he got the job. Last season I could see little glimpses of what he was trying to do and this year I’ve seen we aren’t far away from being a top half team. 
Easy to compare us to other clubs and other managers but no two scenarios are the same . 

Should have gone to Specsavers 

20 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Question for all those ex managers, what has stopped Bristol City getting to the prem? I don't think they will say lack of investment or backing, instead I think it will be either coming into a poor situation created by previous managers or lack of support in dealing with those problems (McInnes strongly hinted at this).

I was pondering if sticking with managers for longer time periods like we do holds us back, I know there is a very good argument for keeping managers and holding down costs but if managers stay too long they really get to embed there practices and if those practices are wrong then they are harder for the next manager to remove and replace.

Is a rolling set of managers every 2 years actually beneficial as long as you have control of the financial side of things.

How far back to we want to go...

March 2010-present

1. GJ goes and Coppell in

2. Coppell out, Millen in

3. Millen out, McInnes in

4. McInnes out, O'Driscoll in

5. O'Driscoll out, Cotts in

7. Cotts out, LJ in

8. LJ out, Holden in

9. Holden out, NP in

That is 8 managers, 9 if you include GJ and his departure as a starting point.

It's unevenly spread in truth but think excluding caretakers we have averaged roughly a manager every 2 seasons in my time! (Started as Benny replaced Ward but had a little bit of awareness of Ward's final weeks).

When exactly did SL tske control so I am measuring a fair sample size?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous